THE BROWNS BOARD

Playmakers

Zombo

The playmaker position rooms heading into 2017 Versus heading into 2018 

QB

2017: Kiser, Hogan, Kessler

2018: Taylor, Mayfield, Stanton

From worst QB room in the league to middle of the pack starter and potential franchise QB #1 overall pick

RB

2017: Crowell, Johnson, Dayes

2018: Hyde, Chubb, Johnson

Middling Isiah Crowell replaced with 1-2 Punch of powerful Carlos Hyde and college stud Nick Chubb. Duke Johnson relieved of "Metcalf up the middle" duties and can now be exclusively the pass catcher out of the backfield our QBs need

WR

2017: Coleman, Britt,  Louis, Higgins

2018: Gordon, Landry, Coleman, Calloway

Most improved position room in NFL? Light years. Former All-Pro Gordon in great shape and ready for a 16 game schedule finally, Pro Bowler Landry one of top possession receivers in NFL, Coleman can prosper as 3rd wr if he stays healthy, Calloway has Percy Harvin type skills if flies straight.

Let's not forget first rounder NoJokeU at TE looking to make a second year leap.

Dorsey saw where we were weak and addressed every bit of it in Year One. Can't wait to enjoy Sundays again ...

Zombo

You left out our other person who was once a walk-on at a Junior College. I think one of the other proven droppers  @ WR will be looking for a job later this summer.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/WR-Damion-Ratley-hopes-strong-finish-leads-to-strong-start-with-Browns/669dde70-1bf1-4a81-9b42-3db75f7ffb33

Wow what a real change in those three key areas, it has to be a big upgrade over 2017.

With no major injuries and some good bounces of the ball (luck) we might have some wins to discuss in a few months.

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

QB

From worst QB room in the league to middle of the pack starter and potential franchise QB #1 overall pick

RB

Middling Isiah Crowell replaced with 1-2 Punch of powerful Carlos Hyde and college stud Nick Chubb. Duke Johnson relieved of "Metcalf up the middle" duties and can now be exclusively the pass catcher out of the backfield our QBs need

WR

Most improved position room in NFL? Light years. Former All-Pro Gordon in great shape and ready for a 16 game schedule finally, Pro Bowler Landry one of top possession receivers in NFL, Coleman can prosper as 3rd wr if he stays healthy, Calloway has Percy Harvin type skills if flies straight.

Let's not forget first rounder NoJokeU at TE looking to make a second year leap.

Dorsey saw where we were weak and addressed every bit of it in Year One. Can't wait to enjoy Sundays again ...

Zombo

Very good workup.   But how about taking it further.

What about the FatArse positions?   What kind of shape are they in comparatively....or do you think it is somewhat status quo? (or not with loss of JT?)

Do you think the above makes Ghoolie a bit happier about the Browns playmakers?  

Also...I would like to see your opinion in this regard for all the defensive units.

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You left out our other person who was once a walk-on at a Junior College. I think one of the other proven droppers  @ WR will be looking for a job later this summer.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/WR-Damion-Ratley-hopes-strong-finish-leads-to-strong-start-with-Browns/669dde70-1bf1-4a81-9b42-3db75f7ffb33

You know...you are going a bit too much  JFF rewind on this guy.  Let's just wait and see. 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Very good workup.   But how about taking it further.

What about the FatArse positions?   What kind of shape are they in comparatively....or do you think it is somewhat status quo? (or not with loss of JT?)

Do you think the above makes Ghoolie a bit happier about the Browns playmakers?  

Also...I would like to see your opinion in this regard for all the defensive units.

What is this ... Homework??

Z

--Should I show my work?

8 hours ago, Zombo said:

QB

RB

WR

Zombo

I think you need to add Chad Thomas to the "playmaker" profile. I still can't stand Zumba boy, but he is fast as hell. Thomas is, in my humble opinion more capable of turning the edge move into a bull rush. By himeslf our Cowgirl wannabe gives concern. Add Thomas to the mix? Fat asss OL are going to schidt their pants with this pass rush. Everyone was looking for Garrett to put Ben in a body cast last year. With two sonsabitches capable of boom booms on the edge, Ben is going to get fukced up in the opener.

Finally, we have a QB, some playmakers, and BUCKEYE players. I have not been this happy since, well, I don't know............ Go Browns,  no schidt............. Go Browns  

8 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I also think Ratley becomes one of the hot rookies in TC this year. I'll be watching him for sure.

Mike

9 hours ago, Zombo said:

QB

RB

WR

Zombo

qb- we are still likely to be below average at qb next year. I think it's unlikely Mayfield will be a league avg qb in 2018.  And certain advanced stats aside, TT is not league average either.  Whether or not mayfield can get to league avg or above in the future is an open question....

WR- Gordon still has a lot of questions even apart from can he stay clean. Even looking at the games he has played since his huge year, thats a lot of games since he has not been a stud or close.  Landry is serviceable unless he improves his approach a lot.  Coleman is still the same dud.

RB- Hyde isnt anything special and Chudd lacks burst.  

We are certainly better at skill positions, but far from elite.

28 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Higgins may be a wild card for the wideout room. He had a few good games last year in a slot role. Somebody has to be the main backup for Landry in that role and l think he’s got a shot. 

"The Duke" could fill that roll Higgins at least i think is on the outside looking in better have a good camp if he makes it that far

29 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

I think you need to add Chad Thomas to the "playmaker" profile. I still can't stand Zumba boy, but he is fast as hell. Thomas is, in my humble opinion more capable of turning the edge move into a bull rush. By himeslf our Cowgirl wannabe gives concern. Add Thomas to the mix? Fat asss OL are going to schidt their pants with this pass rush. Everyone was looking for Garrett to put Ben in a body cast last year. With two sonsabitches capable of boom booms on the edge, Ben is going to get fukced up in the opener.

Finally, we have a QB, some playmakers, and BUCKEYE players. I have not been this happy since, well, I don't know............ Go Browns,  no schidt............. Go Browns  

I think Z was just doing the offensive skill players here.  I asked him to give his assessment of the defense as well. 

17 minutes ago, Tacosman said:

qb- we are still likely to be below average at qb next year. I think it's unlikely Mayfield will be a league avg qb in 2018.  And certain advanced stats aside, TT is not league average either.  Whether or not mayfield can get to league avg or above in the future is an open question....

WR- Gordon still has a lot of questions even apart from can he stay clean. Even looking at the games he has played since his huge year, thats a lot of games since he has not been a stud or close.  Landry is serviceable unless he improves his approach a lot.  Coleman is still the same dud.

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, syd said:

"The Duke" could fill that roll Higgins at least i think is on the outside looking in better have a good camp if he makes it that far

I see one of Higgins or Louis making the roster, but the other will need to outperform Janis on ST which may be difficult... Me? I'm still a Higgins fan and think he's got potential. He did score 2 TDs against the Steelers week 17 last year and went 7 for 95 against the Ravens in week 2, so that is something...

34 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

giphy.gif

just cause i like to quote a dude and yes i had not a white but a black Russian just a bit ago o.k enough rambling WTF is taco talking about with Chubb ? he hits the hole with power and can move the pile and with us running a ZBS scheme he should thrive 

32 minutes ago, thenew23 said:

I see one of Higgins or Louis making the roster, but the other will need to outperform Janis on ST which may be difficult... Me? I'm still a Higgins fan and think he's got potential. He did score 2 TDs against the Steelers week 17 last year and went 7 for 95 against the Ravens in week 2, so that is something...

neither one was drafted by Dorsey so sorry man but i would not put much money down on either being here once the season begins

WR Gordon is an 'iffy' player right now to me.  In what few games he's been allowed to play in he's shown less than all out hussle.  And if he does something that might put him on tv, he runs and gets his dark glasses.  What's up with that?  He's a nutcase. -  At any minute we could get word that he's failed another drug test and is suspended indefinitely.  And none of us would be surprised.

I don't think that Dorsey thinks much of Coleman.  He might have to have a good camp and preseason.

The QB position is in better shape this year.  Probably not super bowl shape.

If our defensive secondary is improved such that Peppers can come in closer to the LOS and we're actually playing with 11 guys on D, then we'll be a better team.  (who'd a thunk, 11 guys might be better that 10)

10 minutes ago, Orion said:

WR Gordon is an 'iffy' player right now to me.  In what few games he's been allowed to play in he's shown less than all out hussle.  And if he does something that might put him on tv, he runs and gets his dark glasses.  What's up with that?  He's a nutcase. -  At any minute we could get word that he's failed another drug test and is suspended indefinitely.  And none of us would be surprised.

I don't think that Dorsey thinks much of Coleman.  He might have to have a good camp and preseason.

The QB position is in better shape this year.  Probably not super bowl shape.

If our defensive secondary is improved such that Peppers can come in closer to the LOS and we're actually playing with 11 guys on D, then we'll be a better team.  (who'd a thunk, 11 guys might be better that 10)

ya i had a argument with someone here about Gordons hussle last year that i believed he gave up on plays also But this is a contract year for him and i think he will be chasing those dollar signs 

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I think Z was just doing the offensive skill players here.  I asked him to give his assessment of the defense as well. 

I got that, I did. What I am saying is, this due is going to make an offensive DL.

12 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Yeah, Ratley never had drop issues.... *eye roll* lol

Josh Gordon came back after almost two years of not playing and straight up dominated against nearly every corner that had him. The CBs and Safeties were literally hanging from his jersey 90% of the time. Go back and watch the most absolute definition of pass interference my eyes have ever seen. On one play, a DB goes down right in front of Gordon and as he goes to catch the ball the guy on the ground straight up undercuts him and sends Josh tumbling... nearly seriously injuring him. I was surprised he walked away from that one! 

Gordon is on pace to pick right back up where he left off, he may be even further along than he was before suspension. He looks completely jacked and in great shape. And I just want to clear this up about the "Dark Shades" that keeps being brought up. That was a WR ROOM thing. Corey Coleman even got a pair for scoring as well. Simply take a minute to do a little research instead of spreading rumors and grey propaganda. 

Gordon will have to be given some breathing room with all the other WRs that the defense will have to account for. Josh Gordon is the biggest playmaker ANY team could have asked for, that includes FA and the NFL Draft. I think that some are completely underestimating this group. 

Landry- 4- 1,000 yard seasons, over 400 catches. Pro Bowl WR.

That's 2 Pro Bowl WRs that are only getting better right now at this stage of their careers.

Coleman and Callaway are two explosive fast and quick WRs that can both blow the roof off of the defense. 

Njoku isn't a WR but he IS. Giant man with speed and a great ability to leap and catch the ball. 

DeValve is under rated, dude is built like Hercules. Go and watch his ProDay and you'll see what I'm talking about. He's what a beast would call a beast. Also very tall and has great leaping ability. Who would win a jump ball between Seth and Njoku? That's still up for debate. 

Ricardo Louis and Hollywood Higgins haven't even been able to show what they've got yet. All these guys need is a QB that can get them the ball. Now they have two. 

12 hours ago, Tacosman said:

Chubb lacks burst?.. Now I know your blind...

12 hours ago, Tacosman said:

Taylor only needs to move up 6 slots to be average. He doesnt throw for a lot of yards (2500) and his 14 TDs are low like his 4 INTs.  https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb Taylor needs to take his TDs and passing yards up a notch and he would quite easily he above average. Say 1500 more yards and 1.5 TDs per game is not asking for the moon.

Gordon also has low miles. He is still on the right side of 30. Let me put it to you this way. If Gordon got cut, he would last about 5 hours unemployed. https://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2017/film-room-josh-gordon Landry is a stud. Anytime youre in a 70% catch rate that guy is money. NE wanted him. What does that tell you? https://www.footballoutsiders.com/player/41765/Jarvis-Landry

Hyde is a work horse. Almost 950 rushing yards, 350 passing yards, 8 TDs and only 1 fumble. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9381/carlos-hyde Nothing wrong with Hyde and RB by committee is a far better approach than the 1 stud Levon Bell method who youre screwed if he gets hurt.

13 hours ago, Tacosman said:

OK, Debbie, lets see what we've got here:

"Middle of the pack starter" would be starters 13 through 20 in a 32 team league, no?

Taylor was one of 12 to get his team to playoffs.

16th in comp%, 16th in passer rating, 13th in QBR ... if that's not "middle of the road", I don't know what is ... or maybe you don't?

WR- Gordon still has a lot of questions even apart from can he stay clean. Even looking at the games he has played since his huge year, thats a lot of games since he has not been a stud or close.  Landry is serviceable unless he improves his approach a lot.  Coleman is still the same dud

Gordon was physically dominating the corners covering him last year, Kizer couldn't get him the ball. It will help having a professional QB.

Landry "serviceable" is straight out laughable.

Take the top 3 receivers on each team ... 96 receivers.

Landry was #1 in receptions. #15 in yards, #13 in catch %, #3 in TDs, #7 in first downs

Are you high?

Again 32 teams, he was 13th in yards, 6th in Tds, 5th in receptions.

Chubb "no burst" ... You have never seen him play have, you?

Zombo

1 hour ago, nickers said:

Chubb lacks burst?.. Now I know your blind...

To quote that great American philosopher Mike Tyson - "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"

We'll see what happens when the real hitting starts!

16 hours ago, syd said:

just cause i like to quote a dude and yes i had not a white but a black Russian just a bit ago o.k enough rambling WTF is taco talking about with Chubb ? he hits the hole with power and can move the pile and with us running a ZBS scheme he should thrive 

And Carlos Hyde had better overall stats in college than Sequin Barkley did.

Archived