THE BROWNS BOARD

Unreasonably tough schedule?

Westside Steve

50 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

There seems to be a new attitude in the way the BROWNS are going about their business so far in 2018, hopefully Hue is just concentrating on being the HC.....at least for now.

Ever see the Cleveland Browns FRONT OFFICE personnel?  This is one big operation with a lot of hands and minds on running things. 

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/front-office.html

I know I'm the eternal optimist, but I agree in that a new attitude seems to have developed.  People aren't just going to "make the team" anymore, as we've have gotten much deeper and added another layer of talent.  In years past, if you were drafted, you were basically on the team.  That's not going to happen now, and that means we have better talent across the board.  I'm extremely interested to see how Hue Jackson operates as a head coach, ya know?  I heard multiple times last year that running the offense and trying to be the coach was just too big of a burden, especially with our QB situation.  Now, we have a veteran QB.  An established OC and DC.  Legit weapons on offense AND defense.  And you can start to see how this team might win some games. 

Do I think we're going to "take the league by storm" and immediately start winning games?  No, unfortunately not.  I think we're going to lose our first two games against the Steelers and then at the Saints, and there's really nothing wrong with that.  I mean, are we SUPPOSED to beat playoff teams?  Probably not, but it sure would be nice to start the season 1-1 with the Thursday night game against the Jets looming.  We HAVE to steal a game early so we avoid the dreaded "0-2" beginning that could very likely knock our fragile confidence in the dirt.  But again, you can start to see how this team COULD win some games.  Protecting the football on offense, getting the ball to our playmakers, getting to the QB on defense WITHOUT constant blitzing, and holding teams to FG's instead of giving up TD's 75% of the time.  

You know one thing that makes me nervous right now?  Don't laugh, but I'm nervous we're going to trade Corey Coleman for a song.  I get that he's been injury prone, I get the two or three TERRIBLE drops, and I get that he's largely been a bust.  But here's the thing...this guy is a first round draft pick and we need to give him EVERY opportunity to shine.  Was he really supposed to be all-world with Kizer throwing him the ball?  How many diving catches did Corey make across the middle when Kizer threw an awful duck?  If everyone stays healthy and away from the dreaded suspensions, our WR group looks downright AMAZING.  Yes, Josh Gordon has broken our hearts a million times before, but let's pretend Josh is on our team.  You HAVE to put your best DB on Gordon, right?  Well, who are you putting on Landry?  Your nickel corner?  Not every team HAS a decent one.  My point is, Corey isn't going against teams' best CB anymore AND he's got a guy who can throw him the dam ball.  You CAN'T trade this guy, not now.  

On 5/13/2018 at 6:39 AM, nickers said:

The browns are the Dregs of the league.. we always get a $hit schedule...

On 5/14/2018 at 11:06 AM, The Gipper said:

Two things:   1.  As likely noted....except for one single game....any team's schedule, including the Browns, is determined years in advance.

2. One partial  reason the Browns seem to have a tough schedule...based on their opponents previous year's records, is because the likes of the Bengals, Ravens; Steelers have had 2  automatic wins each over the Browns.  If the Browns would get off their asses and start winning some of those games, their opponents previous year's win loss record would not look so good. 

Yep. Comparing schedules, Pgh has the close to the same schedule except they get the Cheatriots and Jags while Cle gets the Jets and Texans. And of course Cle gets Pgh twice, while Pgh plays Cle twice. The Browns have to improve on a one win season, it’s damn near impossible to suck that bad two years in a row, with all those draft picks.....

On 5/14/2018 at 12:25 PM, jiggins7919 said:

I know I'm the eternal optimist....

Do I think we're going to "take the league by storm" and immediately start winning games?  No, unfortunately not.  I think we're going to lose our first two games against the Steelers and then at the Saints, and there's really nothing wrong with that.  I mean, are we SUPPOSED to beat playoff teams?  Probably not, but it sure would be nice to start the season 1-1 with the Thursday night game against the Jets looming.  We HAVE to steal a game early so we avoid the dreaded "0-2" beginning that could very likely knock our fragile confidence in the dirt.  But again, you can start to see how this team COULD win some games.  Protecting the football on offense, getting the ball to our playmakers, getting to the QB on defense WITHOUT constant blitzing, and holding teams to FG's instead of giving up TD's 75% of the time.  

While the odds are they open 0-2, my optimism is they could steal BOTH games. Let's face it, the games vs Pitt were close last year. Big Ben and Antonio Brown have killed us, maybe the Browns figure out a way at home. 

Vs the Saints, well we have beat 'em the last 2 times and Brees was the QB in both games. You just never know, I say it's possible to head back to Cle at 2-0 with a stupid Thurs night game vs the NYJ. 

Archived