THE BROWNS BOARD

Best Conceal Carry Pistol

TexasAg1969

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I totally agree with DH. Thousands because it's not only Nazi, but is a rare weapon on top of that. That guy was trying to take you or he's an idiot.

This will give you an idea about how much a less rare Luger pistol is worth and then figure rare on top of that. Real collectors will pay more than you would ever think.

https://www.thefirearmsforum.com/threads/whats-my-dads-1942-p08-german-luger-worth.110047/

Well....one place was a pawn shop....and no doubt they would try to rip you off.  But the other was supposed to be a firearms expert. And he is the one that said it was only worth 2-300 dollars. 

So....let me know when one of you is willing to pay me 3K for it;)

Here is what is being asked for a WWII Mauser and if you look at the pics, there is a lot of rust on it.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/770010574

"Asked" is not the same as "paid".  I saw a number of them in ebay that they were asking 2-3 K  for.   Did not see where anyone ever bid close to those figures though. 

On 5/17/2018 at 6:41 PM, TexasAg1969 said:

I totally agree with DH. Thousands because it's not only Nazi, but is a rare weapon on top of that. That guy was trying to take you or he's an idiot.

This will give you an idea about how much a less rare Luger pistol is worth and then figure rare on top of that. Real collectors will pay more than you would ever think.

https://www.thefirearmsforum.com/threads/whats-my-dads-1942-p08-german-luger-worth.110047/

On the last Wednesday night at the Range they had a show on the Lugers, the rare ones are worth a nice fortune, with matching numbers a huge fortune.....for a handgun. 

9 hours ago, The Gipper said:

"Asked" is not the same as "paid".  I saw a number of them in ebay that they were asking 2-3 K  for.   Did not see where anyone ever bid close to those figures though. 

Send me the serial numbers PM and I'll ask a reputable dealer/trader I know in Austin. If it's $10,000 I'll pay you the $3,000 and come get it myself. LOL!:lol:

Any rust on it anywhere or is it still in decent shape?

Any other markings including Caliber, maker, any dates or numbers and exactly what the Nazi marking looks like (size, etc.) would be of help as well. Does it still have the original strap or any magazines that go with it?

Send me the serial numbers PM and I'll ask a reputable dealer/trader I know in Austin. If it's $10,000 I'll pay you the $3,000 and come get it myself. LOL!:lol:

Any rust on it anywhere or is it still in decent shape?

Any other markings including Caliber, maker, any dates or numbers and exactly what the Nazi marking looks like (size, etc.) would be of help as well. Does it still have the original strap or any magazines that go with it?

I will have to look at it closely for the stuff you want.:  numbers etc.  No rust to speak of...still in good shape   It has a couple of the Nazi insignias, that are very very small. But no strap or magazines.

The Lugers were very finely machined and assembled German pistols and rather expensive  which don't lend themselves well to major war efforts. Most people think of WWII when talking about lugars or the bad guys in movies but they go well back from that.

The Pistole Parabellum—or Parabellum-Pistole (Pistol Parabellum), commonly known in the United States as just Luger[4]—is a toggle-locked recoil-operated semi-automatic pistol produced in several models and by several nations from 1898 to 1948. The design was first patented by Georg Luger as an improvement upon the Borchardt Automatic Pistol, and was produced as the Parabellum Automatic Pistol, Borchardt-Luger System by the German arms manufacturer Deutsche Waffen- und Munitionsfabriken(DWM).[1] The first production model was known as the Modell 1900 Parabellum.[1] Later versions included the Pistol Parabellum Model 1908 or P08 which was produced by DWM and other manufacturers such as W+F Bern, Krieghoff, Simson, Mauser, and Vickers;[5] The first Parabellum pistol was adopted by the Swiss army in May 1900. In German Army service, the Parabellum was later adopted in modified form as the Pistol Model 1908 (P08) in caliber 9×19mm Parabellum.[1] The Model 08 was eventually succeeded in and partly replaced by the Walther P38.

The Luger is well known from its use by Germans during World War I and World War II, along with the interwar Weimar Republic and the postwar East German Volkspolizei. Although the P.08 was introduced in 7.65mm Parabellum, it is notable for being the pistol for which the 9×19mm Parabellum (also known as the 9×19mm Luger) cartridge was developed. Because of its association with Nazi Germany, the pistol has been used in fictional works by many villainous characters over the past several decades........

Not exactly a good concealed carry gun but great for serious collectors. 

Interesting that the Ruger I just bought requires the "Luger" 9mm round. I have some older "Black Talon" rounds left to keep in it for concealed carry. They don't make those anymore. Winchester replaced it with PDX1 Defender in regular or +P. But the old Black Talon was a hollow point round that had 6 little "talons" that split and expanded outward from the core of the bullet. Vicious little round.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Talon

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2018 at 7:09 PM, gumby73 said:

X-zactly what wife & Myself carry for 5 years now.Seller wanted $485/gun but got the pair for $900 at a Gun Show in Raleigh,NC..Pin a target to a tree & turn her loose it's like bringing her home a new pair of shoes with a free purse B)  

For anyone interested I found this standardized testing of multiple rounds for multiple calibers @ luckygunner.com. Only thing on here I am not sure of is the Cor-bon all-copper PDX for my 9mm because the owner sold out to another company and some testing of the Gen 2 I found on the internet has a little less "spread" diameter than the original, which was one of the very best rounds for 9mm ever created. The Barnes +p round had similar results with a very similar bullet, but you can't just shoot a lot through any handgun not designed for +P  without shortening barrel life. But either is an excellent concealed carry round. 

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#9mm

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

For anyone interested I found this standardized testing of multiple rounds for multiple calibers @ luckygunner.com. Only thing on here I am not sure of is the Cor-bon all-copper PDX for my 9mm because the owner sold out to another company and some testing of the Gen 2 I found on the internet has a little less "spread" diameter than the original, which was one of the very best rounds for 9mm ever created. The Barnes +p round had similar results with a very similar bullet, but you can't just shoot a lot through any handgun not designed for +P  without shortening barrel life. But either is an excellent concealed carry round. 

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#9mm

Tex,   I am PMing you those numbers.  Also, FYI...if does have the strap...but no magazines

25 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Tex,   I am PMing you those numbers.  Also, FYI...if does have the strap...but no magazines

That's a major plus. Magazines are easier to find normally I think.

9 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

That's a major plus. Magazines are easier to find normally I think.

To be honest with you though....the strap appears to be  American "Army Green"......so it may not be the original German strap that came with the rifle.   But, it is a strap.  

This looks almost exactly like the rifle I have:

230616F592%20Very%20nice%20Deactivated%2

But that is not the strap that it has.

Though, I did find this photo with a search of Nazi Rifle straps, and this does look a lot like the strap it has: 

Surplus-Chinese-Army-Rifle-Sling-Strap-3

Tex, if you PM me a text number, I can send you some photos of what I have.

I appreciate your help. 

It would be nice to know a true value....but it may also not be appropriate for me to sell it, but to rather give it to family.  I have one nephew who is very big into guns. Yea, he is a big fuyucking redneck.   We get along great notwithstanding.

My son has no interest in guns, but he may have interest in an heirloom like this.  

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Tex, if you PM me a text number, I can send you some photos of what I have.

I appreciate your help. 

It would be nice to know a true value....but it may also not be appropriate for me to sell it, but to rather give it to family.  I have one nephew who is very big into guns. Yea, he is a big fuyucking redneck.   We get along great notwithstanding.

My son has no interest in guns, but he may have interest in an heirloom like this.  

I can access the BB on my cell phone and get this stuff up that way. If I run into trouble with that I will let you know. I'll take my username/password to BB with me if I need to go there in person. I'll also take information from the PMs.

4 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I can access the BB on my cell phone and get this stuff up that way. If I run into trouble with that I will let you know. I'll take my username/password to BB with me if I need to go there in person. I'll also take information from the PMs.

I don't want to get ahead of ourselves.  And I certainly would not want you to make a trip here for no reason.  

As I said, I do want to know about the value,  but I do feel that I could not sell it without the consent of my Dad's grandchildren who may have an interest in it.  I do feel that I am holding it as a sort of fiduciary, and if there was an objection by one of them that they would want it......or that they may want a right of first refusal on it, I may have to do with that.  I am certain you understand.

Nevertheless, it may be a possibility.   Thanks for your interest.

Just now, The Gipper said:

I don't want to get ahead of ourselves.  And I certainly would not want you to make a trip here for no reason.  

As I said, I do want to know about the value,  but I do feel that I could not sell it without the consent of my Dad's grandchildren who may have an interest in it.  I do feel that I am holding it as a sort of fiduciary, and if there was an objection by one of them that they would want it......or that they may want a right of first refusal on it, I may have to do with that.  I am certain you understand.

Nevertheless, it may be a possibility.   Thanks for your interest.

I'm just interest Gip. And the picture you showed is a bolt action, not automatic or semi-automatic. So is yours bolt action like the one you showed, because that is different from the one I previously linked which was auto or semi-auto?

I understand about the legacy. I have that Ruger .357 Mag single action I bought after Vietnam that I continue to keep for my son and grandson just because with it my Dad showed me what Annie Oakley must have looked like to amateurs like me. Holy cow my Dad could shoot. Never seen anyone that good before or since.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I'm just interest Gip. And the picture you showed is a bolt action, not automatic or semi-automatic. So is yours bolt action like the one you showed, because that is different from the one I previously linked which was auto or semi-auto?

I understand about the legacy. I have that Ruger .357 Mag single action I bought after Vietnam that I continue to keep for my son and grandson just because with it my Dad showed me what Annie Oakley must have looked like to amateurs like me. Holy cow my Dad could shoot. Never seen anyone that good before or since.

Tex,

Yes, I believe that it is a bolt action rifle.   I see no indices of semi...or automatic.

On the other subject,  while I know that my Dad had handguns, I do not ever recall seeing ever firing one.  Rifles and shotguns, but no handguns.

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Tex,

Yes, I believe that it is a bolt action rifle.   I see no indices of semi...or automatic.

On the other subject,  while I know that my Dad had handguns, I do not ever recall seeing ever firing one.  Rifles and shotguns, but no handguns.

This is what you have in that case. An improvement on the G88.

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/system-luger-18926-bolt-action/

8 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Colt 1911 .45. Probably not very easy to conceal but the bad guys will probably notice it and not fuk with you.

😁

WSS

A lot of cool 1911 looking models in various calibers out there. 

11 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

My Browning

WSS

20180604_205034.jpg

In Texas the LTC (License to Carry) allows you to openly carry anything so that would be fine here. That being said I would never do so because I'd rather it be a "surprise" for any idiot that decides to pull a gun on me. That is also why I purchased a 9mm that looks like a toy. I don't want to be taken seriously until AFTER the first shot.

That being said I'm jealous of that Browning Steve. Very nice pistol. I'm still sorry my grandfather's Browning 20 gauge semi-auto shotgun went to my younger brother.

9 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

In Texas the LTC (License to Carry) allows you to openly carry anything so that would be fine here. That being said I would never do so because I'd rather it be a "surprise" for any idiot that decides to pull a gun on me. That is also why I purchased a 9mm that looks like a toy. I don't want to be taken seriously until AFTER the first shot.

That being said I'm jealous of that Browning Steve. Very nice pistol. I'm still sorry my grandfather's Browning 20 gauge semi-auto shotgun went to my younger brother.

I have my grandfather's Iver Johnson shotgun from the late 1800s. Took it to get adjusted and cleaned up but the guy at the gun shop said it would be better off staying on the wall. Also have his Iver Johnson sealed 8 22 pistol.

WSS

14 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I have my grandfather's Iver Johnson shotgun from the late 1800s. Took it to get adjusted and cleaned up but the guy at the gun shop said it would be better off staying on the wall. Also have his Iver Johnson sealed 8 22 pistol.

WSS

My other brother inherited an exterior double hammered 10 gauge shotgun and it has a prominent place on his fireplace mantle. I will be there next month and see exactly who the maker was, but I know it was from around the 1880's or 90's.

EDIT: They got the guns and the vintage cars and I got the gold ring that has a diamond for each of his 5 kids embedded in it. LOL!🤩

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

My other brother inherited an exterior double hammered 10 gauge shotgun and it has a prominent place on his fireplace mantle. I will be there next month and see exactly who the maker was, but I know it was from around the 1880's or 90's.

EDIT: They got the guns and the vintage cars and I got the gold ring that has a diamond for each of his 5 kids embedded in it. LOL!🤩

OMG an old 10 ga! I remember as a kid being in our attic and picking up a very old 10 ga. single shot shotgun. 

My dad said don't ever try and shoot that it almost blew up on your Uncle Nick.....I never knew if he was kidding or just keeping me from trying it out.  Mantle gun.

.......oh my grandfather was born in 1880 I think the gun went way back. The metallurgy wasn't as consistent on everyday pieces back then as it is today.

19 hours ago, mjp28 said:

OMG an old 10 ga! I remember as a kid being in our attic and picking up a very old 10 ga. single shot shotgun. 

My dad said don't ever try and shoot that it almost blew up on your Uncle Nick.....I never knew if he was kidding or just keeping me from trying it out.  Mantle gun.

.......oh my grandfather was born in 1880 I think the gun went way back. The metallurgy wasn't as consistent on everyday pieces back then as it is today.

Old Gramp gave us the same warning that modern ammunition should never be fired through it because it might not hold up. So it's my brother's mantle gun. Looks good up there. Wish I could remember the maker, but my brother is in Europe right now visiting our sister so I have to wait a couple weeks to ask him to take a look.

Well boys I passed my License to Carry tests yesterday. 100% on the written test but only 231 out of 250 shooting (50 rounds with 5 points each for a generous "bullseye" from short medium and long distance). But not bad considering I had to use reading glasses to see the sights well enough to focus them on the blurry target (LOL).🧐😁

The instructor told me afterwards that most people choose to qualify with longer barreled pistols because they are more accurate from the medium and long distances. I told him since I was carrying that 3 inch barreled pocket pistol "for reals", then I'd better know what I can do with it under at least some stress like qualifying. He told me I could have a longer pistol and carry open with that license and I replied that I was not about to show my cards to anyone up front. He works full time security and open carries with a uniform & badge, so he understood that logic.

BTW I decided after reviewing all the data to carry the Cor-Bon 9mm +P 115 gr HP cartridge since it is all one piece copper and has the best combination of FBI recommended penetration and "spread" with very large diameter end results without breaking apart. It tests especially well in 3 in barreled pistols.

well, selling my two ccw guns to a trusted friend, son of old friends..who, some years ago, I taught gun safety to, shooting and hunting to,

back when he was a kid. Now he has a nice collection. Really likes his SR something or another.

I'm going shopping for the next couple of weeks. LC9, glock 43, I think I like the FN...the

S&W Shield 9 2.0... but it's been a while. My ccw instructor says he will never own a glock - I think it's because they are too expensive for what they are. He carries a .45 - I've shot one a few times - or was it a .40 ...seems more like shooting a cannon. I'm not going to have to protect vs a dinosaur or a rhino. Although, if I we lived in grizzly country....

Seems that the springfields are very heavy compared. Need 9mm, biggest criteria is long term quality if I ever start practicing out back a good bit more...and how it fits my hand, which, the CTX-1 annoys me greatly with the grip being on the short side.

I can draw the CTX very, very fast, but the Taurus just feels clumsy. Weird. I've looked at a nice Berretta - but it's pretty fat and bulky.

I still want my thumb safety....tradition. I read and hear how some 9mm have less recoil per their design... have to look into that more.

My Wife can shoot, but she isn't that much into it, isn't interested in ccw..yet.

Which reminds me of a story.

Decades ago, before we were married, we went on a trip to WV to my Dad's old homeplace in the mountains, below Skyline Drive.

Went way up the mountain, had my .22 magnum rifle, and asked her if she'd like to shoot it. So, I set up several targets about 20 yards... she was asking how to use the scope, I taught her the basics, then she grinned at me, and hauled off and shot every single target rapid fire, and I stood there, grinning and knowing I'd been teased...she admitted she had worked with an old boyfriend at his uncle's gun shop.

Right then I knew I'd get the Wifey  business all my days. LOL

Then there was the time we and a bunch of friends were on a cruise in the Caribbean, and she signed up to shoot skeet off the back deck. She walked up with the shotgun, and I was up on the next deck balcony overlooking them, and some guys below were chuckling and talking about betting each other on how many she would miss. Some rednecks next to me laughed and said she might get knocked down, she wasn't all that big.

I laughed, shook my head, and advised them to keep their money - she would surprise them. Then she proceeded to nail every single clay pigeon in the series. They were laughing, and congratulating me on having married a real woman. lol

36 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

well, selling my two ccw guns to a trusted friend, son of old friends..who, some years ago, I taught gun safety to, shooting and hunting to,

back when he was a kid. Now he has a nice collection. Really likes his SR something or another.

I'm going shopping for the next couple of weeks. LC9, glock 43, I think I like the FN...the

S&W Shield 9 2.0... but it's been a while. My ccw instructor says he will never own a glock - I think it's because they are too expensive for what they are. He carries a .45 - I've shot one a few times - or was it a .40 ...seems more like shooting a cannon. I'm not going to have to protect vs a dinosaur or a rhino. Although, if I we lived in grizzly country....

Seems that the springfields are very heavy compared. Need 9mm, biggest criteria is long term quality if I ever start practicing out back a good bit more...and how it fits my hand, which, the CTX-1 annoys me greatly with the grip being on the short side.

I can draw the CTX very, very fast, but the Taurus just feels clumsy. Weird. I've looked at a nice Berretta - but it's pretty fat and bulky.

I still want my thumb safety....tradition. I read and hear how some 9mm have less recoil per their design... have to look into that more.

My Wife can shoot, but she isn't that much into it, isn't interested in ccw..yet.

Which reminds me of a story.

Decades ago, before we were married, we went on a trip to WV to my Dad's old homeplace in the mountains, below Skyline Drive.

Went way up the mountain, had my .22 magnum rifle, and asked her if she'd like to shoot it. So, I set up several targets about 20 yards... she was asking how to use the scope, I taught her the basics, then she grinned at me, and hauled off and shot every single target rapid fire, and I stood there, grinning and knowing I'd been teased...she admitted she had worked with an old boyfriend at his uncle's gun shop.

Right then I knew I'd get the Wifey  business all my days. LOL

Then there was the time we and a bunch of friends were on a cruise in the Caribbean, and she signed up to shoot skeet off the back deck. She walked up with the shotgun, and I was up on the next deck balcony overlooking them, and some guys below were chuckling and talking about betting each other on how many she would miss. Some rednecks next to me laughed and said she might get knocked down, she wasn't all that big.

I laughed, shook my head, and advised them to keep their money - she would surprise them. Then she proceeded to nail every single clay pigeon in the series. They were laughing, and congratulating me on having married a real woman. lol

You're in Grizzly country, carry a 45-70 Marlin, Mossberg or Henry rifle.  Image result for mossberg 45-70

Archived