Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ghoolie

New Pro Football League,, Do you know of it?

Recommended Posts

I didn't have time to read about it, and am burned out with computer work today, BUT BUT BUT...............it was in the Memphis Commercial Appeal that Mike Singletary and Hines Ward were in town to announce a new Memphis pro football team for some new pro league. Memphis is such a schidt football team, I can't believe it will support this new league. Do any of you know about this league?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When's the draft :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

I didn't have time to read about it, and am burned out with computer work today, BUT BUT BUT...............it was in the Memphis Commercial Appeal that Mike Singletary and Hines Ward were in town to announce a new Memphis pro football team for some new pro league. Memphis is such a schidt football team, I can't believe it will support this new league. Do any of you know about this league?

Just a Google away my friend.  :)  

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/mike-singletary-memphis-head-coach-spring-football-league/bj7321tcmi8i1q8es9esil6mx

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nfl-competitor-alliance-of-american-football-new-football-league-first-team-orlando-steve-spurrier-today/

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/alliance-of-american-football-bill-polian-new-spring-league-roster-cuts-pro-football-hall-of-fame/yu5but4wzicl1ko9ny5tn93ea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had threads on both the AAF and the XFL  a while back.

So, yes,   anyone reading the board here woulda/coulda/shoulda been aware of it.

But this is the first I have heard about what cities they are going to be in.    As I said earlier, they will have to be in the south mainly if they are going to be playing in the mid to late winter.   From what I gather from Hoorta's links, there are these cities:

Orlando

Memphis

Atlanta

So. Calif.

Phoenix

Salt Lake city

that is 6......what are the other two?  Have to do some searching.

Edit:  even on their own website they only talk about 3 cities:  ATL, Memph. Orlando.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I had threads on both the AAF and the XFL  a while back.

So, yes,   anyone reading the board here woulda/coulda/shoulda been aware of it.

But this is the first I have heard about what cities they are going to be in.    As I said earlier, they will have to be in the south mainly if they are going to be playing in the mid to late winter.   From what I gather from Hoorta's links, there are these cities:

Orlando

Memphis

Atlanta

So. Calif.

Phoenix

Salt Lake city

that is 6......what are the other two?  Have to do some searching.

Edit:  even on their own website they only talk about 3 cities:  ATL, Memph. Orlando.  

Thanks for all.to Google work....but I am not wading through all that horse schidt. I prefer to engage in discussions and not play.library when I come in here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Thanks for all.to Google work....but I am not wading through all that horse schidt. I prefer to engage in discussions and not play.library when I come in here.

Better stay away from the poly board then. All kinds of library schidt thrown out there. But you do get a lot of digital toilet paper from it. Better'n an ole Sears catalog.:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Thanks for all.to Google work....but I am not wading through all that horse schidt. I prefer to engage in discussions and not play.library when I come in here.

No worries.  I saved you the trouble by posting the info here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

No worries.  I saved you the trouble by posting the info here.

I realize you do it for the good of everyone, and sometimes I do read the articles. I appreciate all you do here.

I have to tell you, Tennessee is the weirdest sports town I have ever experienced. My wife's company had a box at Fed Ex Forum, and it was cool seeing a game, eating and drinking like a big shot, but ugh......the Memphis Grizzleys? How the fluck does even a Memphis native get excited about that schidt? U of M basketball is huge here (when they are winning, which has vanished since Calipari left), U of M football is, well schidt.....How does a Buckeye fan get into this oddball league type, Tier II football? YSU is my Alma Mater, fo I dug Div 1AA Tressel era ball. 

Football Sundays? FRAK TOWN.....................Most of the fans are Steeler and Cowboy dorks. Nashville is 240 miles away, so to many, the Titans feel to Memphis like the Bengals or Colts feel to Cleveland dwellers. 

And on top of all this pretend big-league sports, Hines Ward and Mike Singletary coming here to tell us why the AFF ( or whatever it is) will be a huge success in this Godforsaken cesspool of a city, is just sooooo very, very, very weird, I can't even find the words to describe it. Honestly, living here has me cast as Oliver Wendell Douglas in Hooterville. Imagine living in a world where nobody you knew had any idea that there was an NFL while selling you on this AFF like it was Paul Brown's invention of Pro Football.

This place is so fauhking weird.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2018 at 3:06 PM, Ghoolie said:

I didn't have time to read about it, and am burned out with computer work today, BUT BUT BUT...............it was in the Memphis Commercial Appeal that Mike Singletary and Hines Ward were in town to announce a new Memphis pro football team for some new pro league. Memphis is such a schidt football team, I can't believe it will support this new league. Do any of you know about this league?

It's too bad it's not a better football town Ghoolie. IMO, they have built a pretty good college football program in recent years in spite of the recruiting attraction Memphis is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Flugel said:

It's too bad it's not a better football town Ghoolie. IMO, they have built a pretty good college football program in recent years in spite of the recruiting attraction Memphis is.

I agree. It is kind of how I got to be a fan of Paxton Lynch. The kid lit it up and from meeting him a few times at local events he struck me as the kind of kid you wish good luck for. What I meant was, and you picked up on it, Memphis is a weird football town. But you know Tom, it may be the Memphis is a typical football town and I am just very blessed and privileged.

Jim and Paul, SIpe, Nelsen, Bernie, Mack, Byner, Collins, Morin, Baab, Matthews, Alzado, Kelly, Hickerson..... Jeez, as I think about what we have enjoyed over the years, I realize it is unfair to expect TN and Memphis to really be that steeped in football. 

You know, we have a nice backers club here in Memphis. I think I told you, Leroy Kelly's kid was working here for the Redbirds, Hickerson was here ( His GF really did wax my wife's snapper, LMAO), Bo Scott pops in and another guy from that era, whose name escapes me now coaches HS here. Still, it's just weird to me. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

I agree. It is kind of how I got to be a fan of Paxton Lynch. The kid lit it up and from meeting him a few times at local events he struck me as the kind of kid you wish good luck for. What I meant was, and you picked up on it, Memphis is a weird football town. But you know Tom, it may be the Memphis is a typical football town and I am just very blessed and privileged.

Jim and Paul, SIpe, Nelsen, Bernie, Mack, Byner, Collins, Morin, Baab, Matthews, Alzado, Kelly, Hickerson..... Jeez, as I think about what we have enjoyed over the years, I realize it is unfair to expect TN and Memphis to really be that steeped in football. 

You know, we have a nice backers club here in Memphis. I think I told you, Leroy Kelly's kid was working here for the Redbirds, Hickerson was here ( His GF really did wax my wife's snapper, LMAO), Bo Scott pops in and another guy from that era, whose name escapes me now coaches HS here. Still, it's just weird to me. 

:lol: I forgot about that waxing the snapper thing. Classic stuff!

I've heard Memphis has a really good Browns Backers Club. 

When I took my wife to Memphis for a weekend, we enjoyed Beale Street. Of course we had to go to the Peabody Hotel to watch the traditional Ducks March through the lobby. Although we were told to go there only during daylight because the city has become a very dangerous place to visit at night.  That's too bad because that will have a huge impact on whether or not it's an ideal place to have a pro sport. I remembered reading the Dodgers were having trouble selling out playoff games about 15-20 years ago or so; because all the people that could afford to go were worried about the safety of their families getting to and from the stadium when they had to park near/in gang turf.

Obviously, Memphis has some nice suburbs like Germantown, Collierville, Lakeland and others.  My guess is if they ever want to get a pro sports team off the ground - they should put a stadium in one of those areas. The trouble with hurrying one of these pro football leagues off the ground - they never look into stuff like this before it fails to launch. 

As for the recruiting attraction of the college programs in TN, I had season tickets to Vandy Games for 2 years.  And almost every time they played an SEC team at home, the visiting fans always outnumbered the Vandy fans by a huge margin. That didn't change much when James Franklin gave them back to back 9 win seasons believe it or not.   Vandy not only had one of the smallest stadiums, but it had academic standards programs like LSU and Florida did not.  Not only that, if you've ever been to a Florida or LSU home game - there's a lot young hotties wearing bikini tops to football games as late as November that you're just not going to see at Vandy or Memphis Games.  And when a football program is hosting recruits full of testosterone on a visit - you better believe that's an attraction.   The movie the Blind Side was supposed to take place in Memphis about a homeless kid Michael Oher who miraculously links up with an affluent family from one of the burbs.  They guided and equipped him with essentials to the extent he had a bunch of Major DI programs competing to sign him.  And guess what program never even got mentioned or considered?   Memphis.  Memphis and Vandy share a lack of football tradition that makes it so Head Coaches like a James Franklin or a Justin Fuente leave them as soon as their successes get them to a better football tradition/program. All that said, Memphis was ranked in the top 25 for an extended period in 2017. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Flugel said:

It's too bad it's not a better football town Ghoolie. IMO, they have built a pretty good college football program in recent years in spite of the recruiting attraction Memphis is.

For the Tennessee State Prison...

😁

WSS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Flugel said:

:lol: I forgot about that waxing the snapper thing. Classic stuff!

I've heard Memphis has a really good Browns Backers Club. 

When I took my wife to Memphis for a weekend, we enjoyed Beale Street. Of course we had to go to the Peabody Hotel to watch the traditional Ducks March through the lobby. Although we were told to go there only during daylight because the city has become a very dangerous place to visit at night.  That's too bad because that will have a huge impact on whether or not it's an ideal place to have a pro sport. I remembered reading the Dodgers were having trouble selling out playoff games about 15-20 years ago or so; because all the people that could afford to go were worried about the safety of their families getting to and from the stadium when they had to park near/in gang turf.

Obviously, Memphis has some nice suburbs like Germantown, Collierville, Lakeland and others.  My guess is if they ever want to get a pro sports team off the ground - they should put a stadium in one of those areas. The trouble with hurrying one of these pro football leagues off the ground - they never look into stuff like this before it fails to launch. 

As for the recruiting attraction of the college programs in TN, I had season tickets to Vandy Games for 2 years.  And almost every time they played an SEC team at home, the visiting fans always outnumbered the Vandy fans by a huge margin. That didn't change much when James Franklin gave them back to back 9 win seasons believe it or not.   Vandy not only had one of the smallest stadiums, but it had academic standards programs like LSU and Florida did not.  Not only that, if you've ever been to a Florida or LSU home game - there's a lot young hotties wearing bikini tops to football games as late as November that you're just not going to see at Vandy or Memphis Games.  And when a football program is hosting recruits full of testosterone on a visit - you better believe that's an attraction.   The movie the Blind Side was supposed to take place in Memphis about a homeless kid Michael Oher who miraculously links up with an affluent family from one of the burbs.  They guided and equipped him with essentials to the extent he had a bunch of Major DI programs competing to sign him.  And guess what program never even got mentioned or considered?   Memphis.  Memphis and Vandy share a lack of football tradition that makes it so Head Coaches like a James Franklin or a Justin Fuente leave them as soon as their successes get them to a better football tradition/program. All that said, Memphis was ranked in the top 25 for an extended period in 2017. 

Nashville is far more civil than Memphis. Memphis Crime is everywhere and local law enforcement/admin has developed ways to conceal it statistically. Still, Memphis is one of the most violent and vulgar places you would ever visit.  I can't stand the place, hence my eventually relocation to Las Vegas. My wife and I carry guns wherever we go, and I have an atomizer that sprays 60% hydrochloric acid for a REAL mace experience. 

Back to sports, Memphis is just so fahking bizarre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2018 at 12:47 AM, Ghoolie said:

I agree. It is kind of how I got to be a fan of Paxton Lynch. The kid lit it up and from meeting him a few times at local events he struck me as the kind of kid you wish good luck for. What I meant was, and you picked up on it, Memphis is a weird football town. But you know Tom, it may be the Memphis is a typical football town and I am just very blessed and privileged.

Jim and Paul, SIpe, Nelsen, Bernie, Mack, Byner, Collins, Morin, Baab, Matthews, Alzado, Kelly, Hickerson..... Jeez, as I think about what we have enjoyed over the years, I realize it is unfair to expect TN and Memphis to really be that steeped in football. 

You know, we have a nice backers club here in Memphis. I think I told you, Leroy Kelly's kid was working here for the Redbirds, Hickerson was here ( His GF really did wax my wife's snapper, LMAO), Bo Scott pops in and another guy from that era, whose name escapes me now coaches HS here. Still, it's just weird to me. 

When I heard that the Oilers were going to move to Tennessee....and that they were going to play their first couple of years in Memphis, and then move to Nashville....I thought?    Why?    I thought Memphis was the bigger city/bigger metro area.   And it had history with the Memphis Showboats of the USFL.    So, why Nashville instead of staying in Memphis?  Is it because Bud Adams like cuntry music and wanted to be in the theoretical center of that? Or is it just because Nashville was located in center of the state and not on the edge?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×