THE BROWNS BOARD

Message Board Story about Peppers

MLD Woody

An older Browns fans with some connections to the team made the following post on the Michigan board I frequent. Mostly stuff we know, but I found it interesting. We are in a slow period... so... here ya go. 

I have a friend who works for the Cleveland Browns in an executive/administrative capacity.  As such he's privy to information not generally available to people outside the organization as he's connected with some of the scouts and other employees of the team.  He doesnt tell me much (he cant) but he also knows I went to Michigan (he went to OSU) and he called me this morning to share a little story about JP he had recently heard in the building.  And yes, he said it was ok if I shared it.

It seems that at the beginning of the season last year our DC Greg Williams had a one-on-one with Peppers and told him what his role with the Browns would be in 2017.  That he would play Free Safety and because Williams would be blitzing a lot he would be lining him up so far off the LOS people would think he was in a punt return formation.  Williams told him he was doing so to keep 15 yard gains from becoming 60 yard gains when the blitz didnt get home.  And according to my contact he also told him he was doing this cause JP was the only player in the Browns secondary he trusted and that fans & media would crush him over it cause Williams knew this wasnt Jabrill's strength.

According to my contact as the horrible 2017 season wore on Peppers never once complained about his role and never asked to be moved closer to the LOS despite all the negaive press he was getting and this impressed the hell out of the Browns coaching staff.  He said the #1 reason the Browns moved Kizer to Green Bay for Damarious Randall was to move Peppers to Strong Safety and have him playing back in the box for the Browns this year where they can turn him loose and let him play more aggressively.  He said the Browns defensive staff is expecting a lot from Peppers this coming year and plan to move him all over field in an effort to maximize his talents and really get the most out of what he can do on the football field.

No where to go but up. Sounds like the kid is a team 1st guy, and hopefully he kicks butt this year. 

27 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

An older Browns fans with some connections to the team made the following post on the Michigan board I frequent. Mostly stuff we know, but I found it interesting. We are in a slow period... so... here ya go. 

Thanks. I am a big Peppers Fan & have no doubt his impact this year will be significant.

Mike

EVERYONE knows someone who knows someone. "Bill Cowher bought a house in Berea"

3 minutes ago, Comeonman said:

Good post Woody. I know JP has a hell of a lot more in him than we saw. 

It will be nice to see the Browns use a first rounder on a player and then actually put him in the position he's best suited to play.

In related news, watching Baker Mayfield play nose tackle next season is going to be rough. ;)

Peppers being used properly. Randall being used properly. Garrett, Ogbah, Nassib, Orchard, Thomas on the ends of the DL. Ogunjobi filling out and becoming a vet... Brantley as well. Kirko, Show and Jamie Collins and Avery doing what linebackers do. Ward, Carrie, Gaines, Bodycount, and Taylor(don't forget about the late rounders at CB and Howard Wilson's recovery as well). This is adding up to be a very good defensive unit, both from a starter's perspective and the depth is impressive also. 

On the Offensive side we are COMPLETELY LOADED. Taylor will start, he's efficient, effective and protective with the ball, nice accuracy and he's got so much speed for a QB that it's going to be tough on the defense to zero in on him. The backup Mayfield is the future and he's going to be a hell of a player when his time comes. I think that it's going to be extremely important to have both these guys when we make a deep playoff run next year. 

The runningbacks are bulldozers, Hyde and Chubb will ensure that our downhill running game continues if one should go down for any amount of time. Duke is a playmaker. Njoku and DeValve have barely scratched the surface of what they can do. With an effective QB they will shine with their great height and hands. Gordon is the best in the game and he appears to be on course for a career year. Landry is as sure a catcher as can be found and runs great routes, very savvy veteran. Coleman and Callaway are burners with the ability to make plays with the ball in their hands. Callaway is an Antonio Brown clone and Coleman will bounce back. Ricardo Louis and Higgins should thrive with a better group of QBs as well. 

This team IS loaded and the Browns are going to be something special this year. Worst to first - Zeros to Heros. It's time, fall in line and get behind our guys and lets see where this thing goes! There's a gleam...

Did not understand why people were listing Safety as a draft need. Addressed it in the first round last year and picked up a first round talent this year. Randall-Peppers should be the best combo we have had in long time. Excited to see Peppers unleashed this year. Williams knows what he is doing ... His defenses have made it to the SB twice.

Zombo

As soon as we picked up Randall I knew we had solved the safety problem and had to concentrate on the CB problem. FA and draft have solved that in a reasonable way. The two quick DL we added allows us to do rotation in depth all along the line and frees Orchard to get back from the line in a LB spot where he belongs. I like all the things we have done to improve this team top to bottom both sides of the ball. 

It will take time to build a smoothly functioning unit, but key barring injuries like last year I see this team getting better every game this season. 

This is going to be a fun season to watch unwind. Should be a lot of room to analyze the intricacies of what each side of the ball is doing every week. Should make for a lot of interesting discussions all season long.:wub:

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

Did not understand why people were listing Safety as a draft need. Addressed it in the first round last year and picked up a first round talent this year. Randall-Peppers should be the best combo we have had in long time. Excited to see Peppers unleashed this year. Williams knows what he is doing ... His defenses have made it to the SB twice.

Zombo

I think because of the fact that we do not have our minds wrapped around the concept of Randall back there because he was obtained in a trade.  We get so focused on draft picks that we somewhat ignore, or have not much info on the FA players we get unless they are a big name or at a more visible position.   But, you are right.  Randall may be one of THE most important acquisitions of the Browns in the offseason...FA or draftee.   We just have to have more exposure to his talents and capabilities to realize it.

32 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

As soon as we picked up Randall I knew we had solved the safety problem and had to concentrate on the CB problem. FA and draft have solved that in a reasonable way. The two quick DL we added allows us to do rotation in depth all along the line and frees Orchard to get back from the line in a LB spot where he belongs. I like all the things we have done to improve this team top to bottom both sides of the ball. 

It will take time to build a smoothly functioning unit, but key barring injuries like last year I see this team getting better every game this season. 

This is going to be a fun season to watch unwind. Should be a lot of room to analyze the intricacies of what each side of the ball is doing every week. Should make for a lot of interesting discussions all season long.:wub:

So... Draft talk will start in October like last year, or will we be able to push it till November? :P

18 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Strongsville*

Yeah, stupid me, I had the wrong place for where Cohwer didn't buy a house. LMAO.

9 hours ago, Zombo said:

Zombo

It's the greatest draft mystery in modern time history;).Why prospect guru's can't seperate who is a Free Safety & who is a Strong Safety is above my pay scale. Most may have posted S meaning FS I assumed? Yes we picked up D.Randall to play FS putting Peppers/Kindred in the right spot at SS. But look behind Randall on the depth chart & one funky twist were back to square meeting round hole again..For every pick starting in the 3rd round a FS prospect came off the board right after..#67-Chad Thomas/Justin Reid went next pick.That one bothered me. #105-Callaway/109 Troy Apke..#150 G. Avery did not hit me as bad after Marcus Allen went #148..but man, he went to Chitzburg..Justin Curry backs up Randall at FS..He's never recovered from a injury as a NYG in 2015.heck we even paid Curry a injury settlement. anywho, Curry is followed by 2 UTFA's..but it is only May

1 minute ago, boo fagley said:

Props to the folks here that were commenting all last year how Peppers was playing too far off the LOS.

It's not hard to spot a player who looks like he's back to receive a punt, especially on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd downs... :lol:

Glad to see him being moved to strong safety... I still think worry he's a "jack of all trades, master of none" type of guy (which is why I questioned using a 1st rounder on him), but at least he's being put in the position to play to his strengths. 

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

It's not hard to spot a player who looks like he's back to receive a punt, especially on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd downs... :lol:

Glad to see him being moved to strong safety... I still think worry he's a "jack of all trades, master of none" type of guy (which is why I questioned using a 1st rounder on him), but at least he's being put in the position to play to his strengths. 

I meant those folks knowing Peppers skill set. Looks like they were right and Peppers is solely an in the box DB.

11 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

I meant those folks knowing Peppers skill set. Looks like they were right and Peppers is solely an in the box DB.

The important thing was that Williams, Peppers and Dorsey all knew it and addressed it. I'm very happy about what we have done so far to change up defensive personnel and look forward to see what further improvements they spot this season for the draft next season. I especially want to see if a healthy Ogbah combined with the DB changes doubles or even triples our sacks per game rate. I want to see QBs that don't have a Browns uniform on running and ducking and throwing off balance all game long.:ph34r:   

14 hours ago, gumby73 said:

It's the greatest draft mystery in modern time history;).Why prospect guru's can't seperate who is a Free Safety & who is a Strong Safety is above my pay scale. Most may have posted S meaning FS I assumed? Yes we picked up D.Randall to play FS putting Peppers/Kindred in the right spot at SS. But look behind Randall on the depth chart & one funky twist were back to square meeting round hole again..For every pick starting in the 3rd round a FS prospect came off the board right after..#67-Chad Thomas/Justin Reid went next pick.That one bothered me. #105-Callaway/109 Troy Apke..#150 G. Avery did not hit me as bad after Marcus Allen went #148..but man, he went to Chitzburg..Justin Curry backs up Randall at FS..He's never recovered from a injury as a NYG in 2015.heck we even paid Curry a injury settlement. anywho, Curry is followed by 2 UTFA's..but it is only May

"Backup free safety" ... OK, but we exercised a 9 mil option for Randall for next year, so I think they expect him to be the guy, they'll probably work on a new deal for the 25 year old former first round pick who is back at his natural position. I like Justin Currie, can see him sticking with the Special Teams Squad Task Force: Carder, Avery, Currie ... We've also got Deron Smith and three udfa bodies ... I'm sure someone will be good enough to backup and play special teams if we keep four safeties. Lots of duel threats at CB too ... Wilson? Where's he fit?

Zombo

17 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

The important thing was that Williams, Peppers and Dorsey all knew it and addressed it. I'm very happy about what we have done so far to change up defensive personnel and look forward to see what further improvements they spot this season for the draft next season. I especially want to see if a healthy Ogbah combined with the DB changes doubles or even triples our sacks per game rate. I want to see QBs that don't have a Browns uniform on running and ducking and throwing off balance all game long.:ph34r:   

The smartest move of all was to keep Williams.

21 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

A healthy Garrett and Collins too.

38 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Wilson? Where's he fit?

Zombo

A fully recovered Wilson has the potential of being the other lock down corner starting opposite Ward. Just once let it be so.

25 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And Meder.

The reason the Browns have one win in their last 36 games! 

Wow... If it wasn't for Meder the Browns could be on a 36 game losing streak. Think about that. Yikes. 

24 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

The reason the Browns have one win in their last 36 games! 

Wow... If it wasn't for Meder the Browns could be on a 36 game losing streak. Think about that. Yikes. 

His punt blocking prowess! Haha

He’s like the elder statesman on the team by now, having been with the team since 2014. Him and Maybe Kirksey? Tank Carder? 

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

"Backup free safety" ... OK, but we exercised a 9 mil option for Randall for next year, so I think they expect him to be the guy, they'll probably work on a new deal for the 25 year old former first round pick who is back at his natural position. I like Justin Currie, can see him sticking with the Special Teams Squad Task Force: Carder, Avery, Currie ... We've also got Deron Smith and three udfa bodies ... I'm sure someone will be good enough to backup and play special teams if we keep four safeties. Lots of duel threats at CB too ... Wilson? Where's he fit?

Zombo

Let's be honest here as I'll be the burden of bad news carrier B). D.Randall came out of college with the FS name tag..But from 2015-17 GB paid Randall as a #1/#2 CB flipping from left to right..Meaning his 5th year option we just paid is at CB rate not at FS rate..Roughly 5M more to play FS with Browns still carrying higher CB rate(it's on a rookie deal so I get it..Till we battle to re-sign him :unsure:)..Kizer even threw for 3 TDs against GB/but not at Randall only defending 1 pass. Wilson sits 8th on our CB depth chart for now.I like that we now have options, that we can go big at corner in a big nickle scheme with Carrie(6ft),M.Jordan(6'1"),Wilson(6'1") & rookie S.Thomas(6'4"). When we cut from 90 to 75? we clean out the ST failures too..From roster cut 75 to 53 G.Avery & Janis should join Tank on ST's? The rest come fighting for roster paycheck verse PS paycheck.Those get fun watching preseason game 3 & 4..Should be fun to watch..     

I dont care what safety position you play in the nfl, being an nfl db in 2018 is about making plays in the passing game.  period. 

there is absolutely no indication Peppers can do that at an nfl level.

the guy has a linebacker skill set and is obviously far too small to play linebacker in the nfl.  He was a ridiculous pick in the late first round and is not an nfl talent.  

12 minutes ago, Tacosman said:

I dont care what safety position you play in the nfl, being an nfl db in 2018 is about making plays in the passing game.  period. 

there is absolutely no indication Peppers can do that at an nfl level.

the guy has a linebacker skill set and is obviously far too small to play linebacker in the nfl.  He was a ridiculous pick in the late first round and is not an nfl talent.  

Well there's a reason why Gregg listened to me and not you. 

Archived