THE BROWNS BOARD

Boring Times - New Era

Ghoolie

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Nero said:

And why not the country whence came the first discoverers of the continent you are in? 

SPAIN! ;)

And before you mention the Vikings, they FOUND America but didn't DISCOVER it. Think about the verb discover: dis-cover. They didn't know they had found another continent and the rest of the world didn't take notice till centuries later. 

Except, you forget.....Columbus is supposed to be Italian.  

And also....we don't give a shite about the rest of the continent....just the USA.....and the entities that became the USA....the colonies, were founded by the English!..

I mean...what did we get from Spain?   The original colonies came from the English.   We got the Louisiana Purchase from the French.  We stole the Great Plains from the Indians.   We kicked Mexico's arse to get Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, California, Nevada....all that after they did the job of kicking you Spaniards out.   We got Oregon, Idaho and Washington in another treaty with the British.  

So...what does that leave, if anything that we got from Spain?  Oh yea......ONE thing!!:    Florida.  We got Florida from Spain in a treaty in 1819.

So Spain gets to have the state of Florida rooting for it in the WC.  The rest of the US? 

Iceland, baby!!  :lol:

The Miracle on Iceland!

4 hours ago, boo fagley said:

You will grow to miss the humidity. Dry heat is not not what they claim. 117 dry heat? Your oatmeal cookies are ready to come out.

The desert is something else. Amazing that anything could live out there.

Ghoolie, after his first week living in Vegas:

bdb85edb6540618caef1df2c3a5efb4c.jpg

41 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Except, you forget.....Columbus is supposed to be Italian.  

And also....we don't give a shite about the rest of the continent....just the USA.....and the entities that became the USA....the colonies, were founded by the English!..

I mean...what did we get from Spain?   The original colonies came from the English.   We got the Louisiana Purchase from the French.  We stole the Great Plains from the Indians.   We kicked Mexico's arse to get Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, California, Nevada....all that after they did the job of kicking you Spaniards out.   We got Oregon, Idaho and Washington in another treaty with the British.  

So...what does that leave, if anything that we got from Spain?  Oh yea......ONE thing!!:    Florida.  We got Florida from Spain in a treaty in 1819.

So Spain gets to have the state of Florida rooting for it in the WC.  The rest of the US? 

Iceland, baby!!  :lol:

The Miracle on Iceland!

Well. Look at your wallet. Open it. Watch that piece of green paper that many people around the world worship. The dollar. Its symbol? $

Why does it have that simbol? Well, during American Independence War, it was not only patriot Americans against silly brits, there were French and Spaniards fighting. Maybe just to kick some tea drinker butt, yes (they've earned it throughout History), but they fought along your ancestors.

And most importantly, one of the main contributions was money. In the chaos of correspondency and coins of that era, one coin had way more importance and flowed the most between American peers, and it was the Spanish Crown. And as many Spanish coins and symbols, like the shield of our flag, it has the two Hercules columns with a band tied to them saying 'Non terrae plus ultra', 'There's no more land beyond this point.' To simple note accounts, people started to simplify and wrote it in notebooks as an S with two vertical bars crossing it.

Those columns were supposed to be guarding the opening of the Mediterranean Sea to the Atlantic Ocean, one in Spain and the other in Africa. 

As Spaniards were the first modern explorers of America, those columns with that saying became a major symbol, and now you see it everywhere, but many people don't notice. 

So yes, you have some reason to be thankful and rooting for the Spaniards ;)

Note: I posted all of this of the top of my head. There might be some mistakes and not be 100% exact.

EDIT: The band says 'Plus Ultra' because we found a land beyond, and it was used as a theme for explorers to go beyond, as that America wasn't "supposed" to be there, to search beyond their limits.

5 minutes ago, Nero said:

Well. Look at your wallet. Open it. Watch that piece of green paper that many people around the world worship. The dollar. Its symbol? $

Why does it have that simbol? Well, during American Independence War, it was not only patriot Americans against silly brits, there were French and Spaniards fighting. Maybe just to kick some tea drinker butt, yes (they've earned it throughout History), but they fought along your ancestors.

And most importantly, one of the main contributions was money. In the chaos of correspondency and coins of that era, one coin had way more importance and flowed the most between American peers, and it was the Spanish Crown. And as many Spanish coins and symbols, like the shield of our flag, it has the two Hercules columns with a band tied to them saying 'Non terrae plus ultra', 'There's no more land beyond this point.' To simple note accounts, people started to simplify and wrote it in notebooks as an S with two vertical bars crossing it.

Those columns were supposed to be guarding the opening of the Mediterranean Sea to the Atlantic Ocean, one in Spain and the other in Africa. 

As Spaniards were the first modern explorers of America, those columns with that saying became a major symbol, and now you see it everywhere, but many people don't notice. 

So yes, you have some reason to be thankful and rooting for the Spaniards ;)

Note: I posted all of this of the top of my head. There might be some mistakes and not be 100% exact.

Or, maybe we should be rooting for the Moroccans? Besides,  Spain didn't invent money....they just put the pillars of Hercules on it. (I am well aware of the history of most of the symbols on US money). 

Besides, FYI,   on one side, I am first generation American.  I have dual citizenship with Ireland.    And since there is only one letter difference between Ireland and Iceland I am going with Iceland.

Now....on the other hand....you DO bring up a good point:  "Money" COULD be a major factor in having me root for Spain......as in...how much money will you give me to go with you on this?  I will begin by stating that it will be in multiples of this particular monetary symbol:

EUR_500_obverse_(2002_issue).jpg

7 hours ago, boo fagley said:

You will grow to miss the humidity. Dry heat is not not what they claim. 117 dry heat? Your oatmeal cookies are ready to come out.

The desert is something else. Amazing that anything could live out there.

I won't tire of it. I have several mining clients in the Eldorado Valley.i get out 5- 25 miles away from anything civilization oriented. I know how hot it is, but never, ever, will I miss humidity. 

7 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

But the Italians claim it since Christopher Columbus was Italian.:D

Guillermo Herries an Irishman is resonsible for Columbus finding America.

1 hour ago, Ghoolie said:

Guillermo Herries an Irishman is resonsible for Columbus finding America.

a.k.a. William Harris who was left on what is now Haiti to colonize it and rightfully slaughtered by the true first Americans.:lol:

It is said that after the killing a chant could be heard, "Build that wall! Build that wall!!":P

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

a.k.a. William Harris who was left on what is now Haiti to colonize it and rightfully slaughtered by the true first Americans.:lol:

It is said that after the killing a chant could be heard, "Build that wall! Build that wall!!":P

Did he like to pee on Russian hookers too? ;)

12 hours ago, cambridgeho said:

Tac 870 pump with red dot.

Shotguns have sure come a long way from the old single shot huntin' guns.

Bored? yes but The Losing streak is now over & The Winning Streak Era Begins...The start of the NFL Draft fell on #55 Genard Avery Birthday.Come to find out, I celebrate my Birthday with Denzel Ward on 4-28.My Born on year date says 1963. Now circling back to G.Avery, who will be wearing my age..The Curse is Over!! :D   

Columbus is reported to be of Jewish heritage.. Italians were not called Italians until Guiseppe Garibaldi untited the "Italian States" in the mid/late 1900's

On 5/11/2018 at 11:11 AM, The Gipper said:

Ghoolie, after his first week living in Vegas:

bdb85edb6540618caef1df2c3a5efb4c.jpg

Dude, Memphis is hotter than Vegas. I have been in the desert, miles out.......... I will take it ANY DAY versus Memphis heat. Until you experience summer in Memphis, you have no idea what uncomfortable weather is. #1 place in America for respiratory problems. Bad air, morbid humidity, total lack of winds................... I have been to the Middle East...........Memphis is worse.

53 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

Dude, Memphis is hotter than Vegas. I have been in the desert, miles out.......... I will take it ANY DAY versus Memphis heat. Until you experience summer in Memphis, you have no idea what uncomfortable weather is. #1 place in America for respiratory problems. Bad air, morbid humidity, total lack of winds................... I have been to the Middle East...........Memphis is worse.

I would have never guessed that. Interesting stuff. 

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:28 AM, Nero said:

And before you mention the Vikings, they FOUND America but didn't DISCOVER it. Think about the verb discover: dis-cover. They didn't know they had found another continent and the rest of the world didn't take notice till centuries later. 

What?  The Vikings discovered America period. North America to be specific. 

"They didn't know they found another continent" ?  What are you talking about?

https://www.history.com/news/the-viking-explorer-who-beat-columbus-to-america

Just now, StinkHole said:

What?  The Vikings discovered America period. 

I'm not opening the link, but what I mean is that they FOUND America. But it's like when you meet a place and don't tell anyone. Or when someone finds something in an area (Physics, Medicine). You don't DIS-COVER it until you tell the world.

11 hours ago, nickers said:

Columbus is reported to be of Jewish heritage.. Italians were not called Italians until Guiseppe Garibaldi untited the "Italian States" in the mid/late 1900's

Italy became a unified nation in 1861.

Garibaldi was such a highly-regarded general that President Lincoln asked him to be a general in Union Army when the American Civil War broke out months later. Garibaldi said he would, under two conditions:

1. He had to be named head of the Union forces

2. Lincoln had to immediately end slavery

Lincoln would have agreed to #1, but not #2 because he didn't want border states to join the Confederacy. Garibaldi refused the offer because he would only fight for the U.S. if it was for a noble cause. Keeping the Union intact was not enough for Garibaldi. When Lincoln two years later signed the Emancipation Proclamation, Garibaldi sent Lincoln a letter telling him that now the war was a noble cause, now the deaths of thousands of men meant something, and that Lincoln will forever go down in history as a righteous man.  

2 hours ago, Nero said:

I would have never guessed that. Interesting stuff. 

Not to add that blacks are shooting up everything at one of the worst crime and murder rates in America. Memphis is an unwiped assshole.

2 hours ago, StinkHole said:

What?  The Vikings discovered America period. North America to be specific. 

We are really bored

12 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

We are really bored

Yep, when does camp start and who is going to give us some first hand accounts? :ph34r:

All, we're doing now is playing guessing games on who will shine and how well they may play together as offensive and defensive units.

On 5/13/2018 at 6:48 AM, nickers said:

There is some dispute about Columbus even being Italian....or Genoan...  Some say he was really from either the Basque region or Catalan..

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/spain/6326698/Christopher-Columbus-writings-prove-he-was-Spanish-claims-study.html

Aragonian, or Catalonian.

Of course, Italy was united at one time:  it was called The Roman Empire.

18 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Not debating about that humidity.   So, in Memphis you turn into a mass of jelly.....In Vegas, you become mummified. ;)

Archived