THE BROWNS BOARD

POLL: When will Baker start?

Ghoolie

[Poll] When will Baker start?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. When will Baker make his first start?

• Weeks 1-4
    • Weeks 5-8
    • Weeks 9-13
    • Weeks 14-17

9 hours ago, Tacosman said:

the top and bottom will likely/hopefully contradict each other.  I sure as hell hope at some point this year, and relatively early in it, it becomes clear the #1 pick in the entire draft(who is 23 years old already and most definately not a project) is better than tyrod taylor.......if it doesn't, we've likely drafted the wrong guy

I do not expect that at all the first year. One breakdown showed he took exactly 7 snaps under center last year. He has a lot to learn about the pro offense and that just does not happen overnight as we have seen with just about every new QB the Browns have had since '99. This is not a footrace to throw him in when you have a QB who HAS taken a team to the playoffs already there to learn from. There is no magic fairy dust to convert a college QB into a pro QB by midnight.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Orion said:

The wins or lack thereof should not be a factor in when Mayfield plays.  The problem is, The Quarterback Bungler is in charge of that.

I don't think starting Baker would be a bungle... that would be starting-benching-then starting him again.

The pressure will come from the slew of Browns fans who see their ludicrous 8-8-ish... or higher... projections fading early. It's a time tested scenario.

If we start 0-4, which is a distinct possibility, the only way your "should" has a chance in hell of being in effect is if Dorsey/Haslam have ordered Hue to sit Baker for a prescribed number of weeks greater than 4... and even then we know the depth of Haslam's resolve.

In the alternative say we open 0-3, Taylor gets nicked Week 3 and is out a month. Stanton looks like Stanton in relief Week 3 and all Week 4 and we go 0-4? Week 5? Ditto about half of the above chance in hell.

There's a growing chorus of those who believe that Baker will win the job and start Week 1. While I'm not quite there yet, I've moved up my first-start projection from after our Bye Week to Week 5... and I'm eyeballing Week 4 on the road. In either case a likely relief appearance precedes the start.

On 5/4/2018 at 1:30 PM, Tour2ma said:

For how many winless weeks?

I will say it again. I hope the Browns just put Baker in when THEY, and not the record, the fans or the pundits cry for it. In reality, you can't keep a #1  #1 QB draft on the bench all year. YOu drafted him to play and play he must.

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I don't think starting Baker would be a bungle... that would be starting-benching-then starting him again.  It is history that tells me that Hue is a Quarterback Bungler...for the reason that you state.  I have no faith in him.  I did at first...but his actions eroded that faith.  So, faith once lost has to be earned back.  I'd prefer not to see if Hue can do that.  I'd like TieRod, and the other new components of the offense, be able to gel well enough to win enough games to keep Baker learning from the sidelines....

The pressure will come from the slew of Browns fans

The coaches, etc. should not be swayed from doing the right thing buy a bunch of short-sighted fans.  (the infamous 'should' again) :)

44 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

When will Baker Mayfield win the Browns' starting job? Hey, Mary Kay!

https://search.app.goo.gl/DnKMH

Shared from my Google feed

It would be great if a Derek Anderson/Brady Quinn scenario played out this season... where the bridge guy plays unexpectedly well and it keeps the rookie off the field.

Then again, this played out somewhat the same way for Hoyer and Manziel, but Billy was still forced upon the world. :lol:

2 minutes ago, runyon27 said:

If the last 2 or 3 games at the end of the season and the Browns are out of any possible playoff contention I see no harm in giving him a start or two.

That seems fair.

I highly doubt that in that scenario Mayfield would come in and be overwhelmed. He might not perform that great, but it won't be because he's not prepared. 

The media has been all over the place on this, from many thinking Baker will sit all year to  Andrew Brandt proclaiming Baker will start week 1.

6 of the last 7 QBs taken first overall have started week 1, so the odds are certainly in favor of Baker starting right away.

What do you guys think? When will Baker make his first start?

You could add 2019 as a choice but due to injuries and other things it will probably be in 2018.

44 minutes ago, LionOfBuddha said:

Good point. I added it. Didn’t even think of it as an option because this is the Browns we’re talking about

It did happen in 2007, when Brady Quinn never started in his rookie season after being taken with the 22nd overall pick. 

But history doesn't seem on the side of Mayfield sitting out the season. 

What if Tyrod Taylor wins the SuperBowl? 

Taylor has never had a cast around him like he's about to get. Hyde, Chubb, Duke, Njoku, DeValve, Gordon, Landry, Coleman, Callaway... 

Then the Defense is as fierce as ever. DBs all over the place, amazing LBs and one of the best DLs ever put together. 

Ogunjobi is massive, he's only gotten bigger since last year. Garrett and Ogbah are A+ talents and when they have a chance to play together for an extended period of time- they'll wreck havoc! Depth is nice as well, don't sleep on Nassib or Orchard just yet, plus add in CJ to the mix, that's a big bad load of whoop butt...

16 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Taylor has never had a cast around him like he's about to get. Hyde, Chubb, Duke, Njoku, DeValve, Gordon, Landry, Coleman, Callaway... 

Then the Defense is as fierce as ever. DBs all over the place, amazing LBs and one of the best DLs ever put together. 

Ogunjobi is massive, he's only gotten bigger since last year. Garrett and Ogbah are A+ talents and when they have a chance to play together for an extended period of time- they'll wreck havoc! Depth is nice as well, don't sleep on Nassib or Orchard just yet, plus add in CJ to the mix, that's a big bad load of whoop butt...

Yeah, I'm not even going to bother... 

6 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

It did happen in 2007, when Brady Quinn never started in his rookie season after being taken with the 22nd overall pick. 

But history doesn't seem on the side of Mayfield sitting out the season. 

Unless RGIII or similar bad luck suddenly  shows up and it might be in the 3rd quarter.  :lol: 

But the BROWNS are due for some really good quarterback luck.....right? I mean c'mon since 1999, they're due, please, give us a break.....oh bad word, break. :huh:

The media is going crazy on this and I'm just about over it. We're in MAY and I've seen multiple articles discussing Baker taking over the starting job. Gimme a break! And you know who the worst is...Tony Grossi. God that guy. He's such a little pecker, can't stand him. I was watching a presser with Antonio Callaway and Tony asked him, "Did Browns management tell you you're one mistake away from being cut from the team?" WHO ASKS THAT? We already know the kid has a history, why keep bringing it up? God I hate him. 

Anyway, we know our schedule doesn't do us any favors early, and this is another reason why we won't see Baker any time soon. We fans have to be patient, and it's going to be difficult! But remember this:  We have a QB who has won games, and can make plays with his legs and his arm. He's sometimes TOO safe, and he doesn't have tremendous accuracy, but he moves the ball, can play very well under center, has a STRONG supporting cast, and will have every opportunity to keep his job. Tyrod gets screwed by how the season starts, but he's GOT to find a way to win either the Steelers or Saints game to begin our year. We CAN'T start out 0-2 going into our Thursday night game. 

38 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Tony Grossi. I was watching a presser with Antonio Callaway and Tony asked him, "Did Browns management tell you you're one mistake away from being cut from the team?" WHO ASKS THAT? We already know the kid has a history, why keep bringing it up? God I hate him.  

Tony Dimwit Grossi first question to Mayfield in his first presser was "Are you done with your internet Life story Documentary"? Baker said he was, but through his facial expression you could read on his face..Nun-ya F'n business :wub: luv'd it..Grossi tries like hell to be blunt like Kosar towards the Browns. but Grossi has not earned that right, not even close..     

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

Tony Dimwit Grossi first question to Mayfield in his first presser was "Are you done with your internet Life story Documentary"? Baker said he was, but through his facial expression you could read on his face..Nun-ya F'n business :wub: luv'd it..Grossi tries like hell to be blunt like Kosar towards the Browns. but Grossi has not earned that right, not even close..     

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

The media is going crazy on this and I'm just about over it. We're in MAY and I've seen multiple articles discussing Baker taking over the starting job. Gimme a break! And you know who the worst is...Tony Grossi. God that guy. He's such a little pecker, can't stand him. I was watching a presser with Antonio Callaway and Tony asked him, "Did Browns management tell you you're one mistake away from being cut from the team?" WHO ASKS THAT? We already know the kid has a history, why keep bringing it up? God I hate him. 

Anyway, we know our schedule doesn't do us any favors early, and this is another reason why we won't see Baker any time soon. We fans have to be patient, and it's going to be difficult! But remember this:  We have a QB who has won games, and can make plays with his legs and his arm. He's sometimes TOO safe, and he doesn't have tremendous accuracy, but he moves the ball, can play very well under center, has a STRONG supporting cast, and will have every opportunity to keep his job. Tyrod gets screwed by how the season starts, but he's GOT to find a way to win either the Steelers or Saints game to begin our year. We CAN'T start out 0-2 going into our Thursday night game. 

Grossi is just misused. He should be a gossip columnist somewhere (anywhere but Ohio please). He couldn't report fact or ask intelligent questions if his life depended on it.

I have heard Grossi is on Baker's phone (enemy list). I would love to see the kid ignore Grossi in future press conferences. I'd LMAO!!

Mike

I chose week 5-8. As much as I'd like to see Mayfield win it outright in camp (like Russell Wilson did), I saw value in Bernie Kosar learning from watching Gary Danielson for the 1st 5-6 weeks. Keep in mind, Tyrod Taylor has a lot more starting experience than Matt Flynn had prior to getting beat out by a rookie.  Seattle didn't sign Flynn to a 26 million $ contract at the time with plans to have him lose the starting job to a rookie in training camp. If memory serves me right - most of it was guaranteed.

Jax announced Bortles wouldn't start as a rookie before they named him a starter as a rookie. Pittsburgh announced Tommy Maddox was their starter after giving him a brand new contract heading into Roethlisberger's rookie year.  Maddox got hurt and never started again. 

I've seen guys like Aaron Rodgers, Steve McNair, and Philip Rivers benefit from not starting 1 game their 1st year.  And would the upper 1st round trade for Rivers have been a necessity for SD if Brees didn't have a horrible 3rd season while his team finished with the worst record in the NFL?  QBs all emerge at all different rates.

Even though some rookie QBs have made it look easy early on - NONE of them had to play here on a team coming off 1-31 football.  I'd like to start the season off with an experienced QB that is good at not turning the ball over showing an inexperienced QB the value of that toward our chances of winning.  We've upgraded the depth and talent of our RB position while we've done the same thing to the WR position so efficient QBing will complement that well.  Aside from that, Taylor has some jets when/if needed.  It would be nice to see something shake out similar to 1985.  Has it really been that FREAKIN long? 

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 12:04 PM, Ghoolie said:

I will say it again. I hope the Browns just put Baker in when THEY, and not the record, the fans or the pundits cry for it. In reality, you can't keep a #1  #1 QB draft on the bench all year. YOu drafted him to play and play he must.

so many different ways to look at this But if they feel he is ready put him in week one and let him build some chemistry with the team and just pray to god we can run the damn ball (hugh you F.ucking idiot)

3 hours ago, syd said:

so many different ways to look at this But if they feel he is ready put him in week one and let him build some chemistry with the team and just pray to god we can run the damn ball (hugh you F.ucking idiot)

We have to hope that Hue is going to come through in spades now that he really has some talent. I have been hard on Black Uncle Fester, and if he has a tentative team after all this, I will really be relentless. I am one who is not all wte in the poosy over continuity and consistency.... really, these things are useless if one does not have talent to put something together worth being continuous about. However, whatever the Browns do with Baker, hey damned well better stick to it, ride it out, and not abandon ship when the going gets rough. I don't want to see Baker get treated like Kizer did.

9 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

We have to hope that Hue is going to come through in spades now that he really has some talent. I have been hard on Black Uncle Fester, and if he has a tentative team after all this, I will really be relentless. I am one who is not all wte in the poosy over continuity and consistency.... really, these things are useless if one does not have talent to put something together worth being continuous about. However, whatever the Browns do with Baker, hey damned well better stick to it, ride it out, and not abandon ship when the going gets rough. I don't want to see Baker get treated like Kizer did.

Or worse like he did when he took Kessler out of a winning game.

16 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

nah man you were right from day one when i first starting posting here,hugh is and was a clown

Archived