THE BROWNS BOARD

POLL: When will Baker start?

Ghoolie

[Poll] When will Baker start?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. When will Baker make his first start?

• Weeks 1-4
    • Weeks 5-8
    • Weeks 9-13
    • Weeks 14-17

What happens in camp if Baker is clearly better than Tie Rod?

I am not stirring up schidt here, BUT.............if we are to believe anything about Mayfield, he is a balls-to-the-wall fighter. So what happens if he shows all the other QBs up? Does he sit the bench? And if he does sit regardless of his performance, will it make him bitter? If he shows Tie Rod up, would he deserve to start? Would that be another Kizer fiasco?

The Browns have set themselves up for another QB controversy IF Mayfield shows the veteran up. Especially if Tie Rod stars and once again the Browns find themselves in Goosegg town.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All valid questions, and in an organization with a stable foundation would be considered “a good problem to have.”

It’s not like Tyrod and Baker are the new guys. Half the team are new guys.

So it comes down to how this organization handles this otherwise good problem to have, and l can see scenarios where it doesn’t go as well as we’d like.

The operative term used by Gooley what's the word camp. Nothing that Mayfield does in camp will be enough to show up tie rod Taylor. Only with Mayfield does in real NFL regular  season games matters. If they think that he has developed enough then he may start to see the field somewhere around mid season. That should be earliest and it is only what he does in the regular season that matters

3 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

The operative term used by Gooley what's the word camp. Nothing that Mayfield does in camp will be enough to show up tie rod Taylor. Only with Mayfield does in real NFL regular  season games matters. If they think that he has developed enough then he may start to see the field somewhere around mid season. That should be earliest and it is only what he does in the regular season that matters

The problem is- the horrendous impatience of the majority of Browns fans. Let's get real- we're staring an 0-2 start to the season, and how many more losses will it take for the fans to start screaming for Baker the Savior to take over? 

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

With Tyrod already putting in time with some of our offense to get some chemistry. I truly believe he will be the starter. If Baker comes in a blows it out of the water like Russell Wilson did, then you have to go with the better player. I really think that Baker will not get that chance on purpose. He will be the 3rd qb to start the preseason and maybe jump Stanton. He was brought in as the future and needs to learn all he can. I hope Tyrod has a good year and dont think he has to look over his shoulder. We need to install our system and execute and give confidence all around. Having Hyde and Chubb now will ease the burden just a bit. 

1 minute ago, hoorta said:

The problem is- the horrendous impatience of the majority of Browns fans. Let's get real- we're staring an 0-2 start to the season, and how many more losses will it take for the fans to start screaming for Baker the Savior to take over? 

Horrendous impatient I don't think so Larry. It's been since 2002 that we have seen our last playoff appearance. Since 1994 that we saw our last playoff win. Longer than that I think since our last division title. I wouldn't call us impatient whatsoever 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Horrendous impatient I don't think so Larry. It's been since 2002 that we have seen our last playoff appearance. Since 1994 that we saw our last playoff win. Longer than that I think since our last division title. I wouldn't call us impatient whatsoever 

Yes horrendously impatient they will be....for the reasons you describe.

The question is if they have the right to be...your reasoning says yes, Hoorta seems to be implying no.

2 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

.......The Browns have set themselves up for another QB controversy IF Mayfield shows the veteran up. Especially if Tie Rod stars and once again the Browns find themselves in Goosegg town.

Taylor is not the established veteran BROWNS quarterback and was actually jettisoned away by the Buffalo Bills I don't think that anyone really would care if Mayfield starts if he looks ready. Taylor, Mayfield, Stanton who would really care that much.

I don't think that there will be any "SAVE TAYLOR" signs in Cleveland. Moot point.

I think Taylor starts Week 1, because like it or not, the ship still has Hue's name on it.

I don't think he'll be taking any risks when he is a few more losses again from getting fired. Taylor isn't going to win games but isn't going to win them either, so let's not touch what will probably work well and let's focus on improving the run game, pass protection, receivers... 

I think Mayfield starts either because things go really well, he pans out and Hue is on a "safe zone", or because things go really bad and Hue gets fired so let's try the new QB with a coach with no so much pressure.

NFL Network guys were saying that if Mayfield clearly shows better than TT from camp through pre-season, the Browns will start him. But it's a long road and I personally hope he sits on the bench and comes in for "cleanup" on our in the bag wins.:D

6 hours ago, Nero said:

I think Taylor starts Week 1, because like it or not, the ship still has Hue's name on it.

I don't think he'll be taking any risks when he is a few more losses again from getting fired. Taylor isn't going to win games but isn't going to win them either, so let's not touch what will probably work well and let's focus on improving the run game, pass protection, receivers... 

I think Mayfield starts either because things go really well, he pans out and Hue is on a "safe zone", or because things go really bad and Hue gets fired so let's try the new QB with a coach with no so much pressure.

I just hope they don't just do a forced "rookie savior" deal and let Mayfield get killed under live fire like Couch, Kizer and others.

Please DO NOT listen to all of the fans chatter and let the kid.....yes he is a kid.....develop some before trying any heroics. 2018 will be a rebuilding year so forget any playoff talk for now.

No established good FA QBs want to come to Cleveland now, ruin this kid and we'll you know, they won't even get a Tyrod Taylor next.

GO BROWNS 2018 & 2019, we can wait one more year for a .500 team, right? (sorry diehards, no choice)

Just now, mjp28 said:

I just hope they don't just do a forced "rookie savior" deal and let Mayfield get killed under live fire like Couch, Kizer and others.

Please DO NOT listen to all of the fans chatter and let the kid.....yes he is a kid.....develop some before trying any heroics. 2018 will be a rebuilding year so forget any playoff talk for now.

No established good FA QBs want to come to Cleveland now, ruin this kid and we'll you know, they won't even get a Tyrod Taylor next.

GO BROWNS 2018 & 2019, we can wait one more year for a .500 team, right? (sorry diehards, no choice)

"2018 will be a rebuilding year"

Yep and when you look at all those LTs in the 2019 draft picks thread you will find our real replacement for Joe Thomas. Building has just started and several of those are better than all of those in a weak 2018 OL class.

1 hour ago, LionOfBuddha said:

My prediction is that if we’re .500 or below by the bye week, Baker will start after it.

That’s assuming Tyrod stays healthy the entire time.

Also, I’m predicting 5-6 wins and if we get to that, Hue stays. 4 or less and he’s gone

Maybe. Howard guess that has a lot to do with the front office's attitude toward Jackson. The coach seems to love Tyrod given his effusive praise on many different occasions. One would wonder if Dorsey has him on a short leash or not.

WSS

14 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

What happens in camp if Baker is clearly better than Tie Rod?

I don't see that happening.

The NFL game is different from what Baker was doing in college.  Rosen might be a different story...but we didn't draft Rosen.

TieRod will practice with the ones.  TieRod will play preseason games with the ones.  Baker will get into preseason games and play but that's about it.

This isn't last year where we had a QB room of first and 2nd year bums who'd never one a football game.  (of course we still have Hue....the quarterback phucker upper)

Yes, that was the case with RG3. That was the case with Kizer. Like you, none of the Browns coaches or management "saw" that happening. All due respect bro, life seldom happens as we " see" it. This is indeed one of the main reasons the Browns continue to suck. There is absolutely no contingency planning. Each and every year we put things into a nice, neat, little analytical package, and create a storybook fairytale for how things are going to just fall into a nice, orderly progression.

Then, life happens and I get to read schidt like......."IF ONLY THIS DIDN"T HAPPEN WE WOULD HAVE......"

I just must live in a different world than most of you. Seriously, My water system designs are never the low bid. I have duplicate pumps, parts, instrumentation, access for support/temporary equipment, and all the schidt that "nobody sees happening". But life DOES happen, man, it always does.

You need to consider these things.

TieRod has never taken a single snap in Cleveland. He has never played with our players or staff. Mayfield is his equal in this. Now, id Tie Rod had already been at the helm for a few years and was established with the offense and coaches? yes, THEN you have a point. But the only thing he brings to the Browns is a few years of experience. Sorry man, but we have seen first hand how a QB with some years of experience doesn't necessarily amount to a hill of dog schidt.

You can say all you want that you are happy with the girl you intend to ask to the prom, and then Jennifer Lopez walks in wearing a miniskirt and tells you she needs a prom date. BOOM.......what you "saw happening" is no longer reality. I don't care who Mayfield practices with if he shines like Lopez in a mini, it creates mayhem in the camp.

Furthermore, if ie Rod gets hurt, which is a great possibility for a run-first, Hue Jackson QB, OR.............. if the Browns are sitting at  0 - 6, remembering that Tie Rod has no previous track record with the Browns,  the QB controversy, and disorganization is alive and well in Cleveland. You watch, this is going to be a mess. 

first off, this idea that mayfield definately sits the whole first year out of some kind of pre-camp plan is lunacy.

If baker doesn't beat out tyrod for the starting spot, that means one of two things:

1) in the middle of his career tyrod just made some unprecedented leap that nobody expected

2) Mayfield isn't showing much

Look, mayfield is a 23 year old guy who spent 5 years in college and has a bazillion games of major college experience.  He's not some raw project.  Im not saying he will/should start game 1, but in all likelihood he will take over the starting role this year.  And if he doesnt thats a bad sign.  

I also dont think we will have to wait that long to see how mayfields game translates to the nfl.  

I think counting on mayfield to be 'the guy' for the next decade is far from a sure thing/even good bet.  But we'll see....and I think we will see pretty soon.

Should Mayfield start before he's ready no matter how good or bad Taylor or Stanton do? (short answer no)

Do it right. Play some yes, start not for at least 6-8 games if that.

5 minutes ago, Tacosman said:

first off, this idea that mayfield definately sits the whole first year out of some kind of pre-camp plan is lunacy.

If baker doesn't beat out tyrod for the starting spot, that means one of two things:

1) in the middle of his career tyrod just made some unprecedented leap that nobody expected

2) Mayfield isn't showing much

Look, mayfield is a 23 year old guy who spent 5 years in college and has a bazillion games of major college experience.  He's not some raw project.  Im not saying he will/should start game 1, but in all likelihood he will take over the starting role this year.  And if he doesnt thats a bad sign.  

I also dont think we will have to wait that long to see how mayfields game translates to the nfl.  

I think counting on mayfield to be 'the guy' for the next decade is far from a sure thing/even good bet.  But we'll see....and I think we will see pretty soon.

I don't see it that anything was said about Bakers sitting the whole season.  Where did you read that?

My understanding is there is no camp competition.  TT is going to start from the get go, Stanton is the back-up.

If things are going well, Baker might not get in, if not, I'd say late Oct, early Nov. might be about right.  Baker might not even be active the first 3-4 weeks.

Its Tyrods to lose. Unless people are at all the training camps and see a Mayfield above and beyond the best qb of the group. Then he will sit for a while. If TT gets injured Stanton has to start, Baker will get the very next start. Seems like every year the back up breaks something as soon as they are put in.  Hues coaching career is on the line with this year, he has been given some really good weapons and a coordinator. He personslly doesnt want to rush Baker unless he sees Brees/Wislon right away in camp.

Would Taylor be satisfied to stay in Cleveland as our backup QB? Or, will he split once Mayfield takes the job? If he does leave who is the backup then? Do we specifically go and draft a backup QB next year? It'll definitely be different to have a QB that we have for more than a year or two, one that we can build around and move forward- good or bad- with. 

Archived