THE BROWNS BOARD

Mason Rudolph

onkyoreceiver

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

"May be the best"? Sure, but the odds are not good. 

That said at the price of a third... might as well take a shot.

More importantly I think since Rudolph did not even go in the 2nd, Gip should take everyone to lunch who considered any kind of Rudolph related bet with him...

... and have to wear a Steeler throwback jersey to boot.

But you didn't take me up on the bet. So you lose sucker. You should not have been such a chicken

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, RoyceRolls said:

Well the Steelers drafted their Brandon Weeden. Big slow brained dude who doesn’t go through progressions and just waits for his first read to get open so he can play catch.  

Isn't that just the easiest comparison? Because of the osu connection. He really isn't like weeden. I have zero expectations for him but he's not Brandon weeden. He sure as hell isn't almost 30 as a rookie either.

11 hours ago, RoyceRolls said:

Well the Steelers drafted their Brandon Weeden. Big slow brained dude who doesn’t go through progressions and just waits for his first read to get open so he can play catch.  

7 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Isn't that just the easiest comparison? Because of the osu connection. He really isn't like weeden. I have zero expectations for him but he's not Brandon weeden. He sure as hell isn't almost 30 as a rookie either.

I was the one that intially made the connection and yes, it isn't terrible to make.  Save for the age, there are several factors that make it appropriate. 

-Same school, coach, and approach to the passing game philosophy. 

- Same conference that does not value defense in the slightest. 

- similar height, arm length and hand size

- (to date) and inability to process basic defensive concepts pre and post snap. 

-appearing to have slow eyes moving from his first read resulting in late throws, high throws and general inaccuracy that stems from lacking anticipation.

Meanwhile you're rebuttal is....  that he isn't 30?

If people want to jump to conclusions by saying Rudolph is another Weeden, then you can easily say Maker Mayfield is another Johnny Manziel....

In 4 years Mayfield had a career 14607 passing yds, with a 68% completion rating.
In 2 years Manziel had a career 7820 passing yds, and a 69% completion rating.

Both QB's with similar stats.  

Both Heisman Winners

Both same conferences

Both short.

Both with issues.

Except that if Rudolph was truly a Weeden,  you won't see the Steelers making the same mistake twice. 

1 hour ago, StinkHole said:

That he wont be starting his career with a hapless dysfunctional franchise.

And this is a fair point. But had the Steelers drafted Weeden instead of us, do you really think he becomes a franchise worthy QB?

For my knocks on Mason, I'm not pleased with the Mayfield pick and fear the worst.  So you're not going to hurt my feelings by saying Baker is 'this and that'.

1 hour ago, StinkHole said:

That he wont be starting his career with a hapless dysfunctional franchise.

Weeden is one of the primary reasons it was hapless.   (plus Manziel/Quinn/Frye/McCoy etc. etc. etc.) 

You dumbass Steeler fans don't seem to get that because you have had a top notch franchise QB for a long time now.  

But just think how you would be if you had 28 Bubby Bristers in a row.  That is what the Browns have had essentially.

58 minutes ago, StinkHole said:

If people want to jump to conclusions by saying Rudolph is another Weeden, then you can easily say Maker Mayfield is another Johnny Manziel....

In 4 years Mayfield had a career 14607 passing yds, with a 68% completion rating.

Both Heisman Winners

Both same conferences

Both short.

Both with issues.

Except that if Rudolph was truly a Weeden,  you won't see the Steelers making the same mistake twice. 

Well.....if you have not paying attention.....those exact comparison HAVE been made constantly.  It is a main reason this fan base was...and is...still skeptical of the choice.   Trust us....we are fully aware of it.

22 hours ago, The Gipper said:

But you didn't take me up on the bet. So you lose sucker. You should not have been such a chicken

Not seeing how I "lose" since I'm not the one that made a prediction that missed by a mile.

A miss so egregious that a self-respecting man would put behind him through the purchase of a mass lunch for the many that told him so...

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Not seeing how I "lose" since I'm not the one that made a prediction that missed by a mile.

A miss so egregious that a self-respecting man would put behind him through the purchase of a mass lunch for the many that told him so...

You lose because you were too gutless to back up your opinion. Why should you be rewarded for gutlessness?   Particularly when you claim that there was no way for you to lose. 

You must have had some doubts....because you wanted to bet that the top 4 QBs would be taken before him.  A situation I personally never doubted and ergo made no bet on.  But you were willing to make  some kind of bet,  ergo....I can only assume that you thought that your risk of losing was too great.

Tell you what:  go buy yourself a chicken dinner...and for a moment consider that you may be being cannibalistic.   :lol::ph34r:

19 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Weeden is one of the primary reasons it was hapless.   (plus Manziel/Quinn/Frye/McCoy etc. etc. etc.) 

You dumbass Steeler fans don't seem to get that because you have had a top notch franchise QB for a long time now.  

But just think how you would be if you had 28 Bubby Bristers in a row.  That is what the Browns have had essentially.

Uh no,  QB's not the primary reason.

Who selected Weeden and the others?

A dysfunctional organization did. Regime after regime making repeated failed draft choices like Weeden is the primary reason it was hapless.

Even dumbass Steeler fans know that.

Let's see... the QB's between Bradshaw and Ben:

Stoudt,  Malone,  Brister, O'Donnell,  Tomczak, Stewart, Maddox...between them 11 playoff appearances, and each played in at least one playoff game.

It's the organization stupid.

22 hours ago, StinkHole said:

Both Heisman Winners

Both same conferences

Both short.

Both with issues.

The only issue he has is being under 6'2.. There is no evidence that he has any abuse issues... Most all College kids drink and party.. it's no great secret.. I expect him to do a couple of things most young kids do.. But as far as mental toughness.. Mayfield is light years ahead of Manziel. They're not even remotely close in that department.. The kid went to 2 universities as a walk on... And WON THE JOB!... I really don't think Johnny has that kind of intestinal fortitude.. The kid was on TMZ every weekend... Here's Mayfield dissing TMZ..

22 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

And this is a fair point. But had the Steelers drafted Weeden instead of us, do you really think he becomes a franchise worthy QB?

I think he'd have done a hell of a lot better. Nobody really had a chance here. Everybody was on a short leash.

For my knocks on Mason, I'm not pleased with the Mayfield pick and fear the worst.  So you're not going to hurt my feelings by saying Baker is 'this and that'.

WSS

3 hours ago, StinkHole said:

Uh no,  QB's not the primary reason.

Who selected Weeden and the others?

A dysfunctional organization did. Regime after regime making repeated failed draft choices like Weeden is the primary reason it was hapless.

Even dumbass Steeler fans know that.

Let's see... the QB's between Bradshaw and Ben:

Stoudt,  Malone,  Brister, O'Donnell,  Tomczak, Stewart, Maddox...between them 11 playoff appearances, and each played in at least one playoff game.

It's the organization stupid.

You are one fuyucking stupid idjit.   Of course the organization selected them....but it was as much bad luck as anything.

By your calculation then....IF the Browns had taken BR in 2004...Aaron Rodgers in 2005.....instead of taking K2 and Braylon Edwards.....then BR and Aaron Rodgers would have ended up on the 28 member suckarss list......because the organization was dysfunctional.  By your estimation the players and the talent they possess..or lack thereof  have nothing to do how well they perform...it is all the organization.

I will grant you this much:  The Browns did make bad choices in the players they selected.  But it was STILL the players who sucked and could not play.

And I will grant you that the Browns seemingly had bad coaches.  (how the hell Shurmur ever got another job is beyond a lot of us)

But, lets ask this question:  how many of the good players who were only "bad" because they were picked by the Browns...went on to have stellar careeer elsewhere....because they were talented enough but were only repressed by the Bad Browns Organization?

The answer is exactly  -0-, zilch,  nada. NONE of them did any better elsewhere than they did with the Browns.  

For a guy that said that he might want to retire a while back, the selection of Mason Rudolph by the Steeler team seem to have him gripping......and griping over it:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/05/01/mason-rudolph-steelers-ben-roethlisberger-retirement/stories/201805010130

https://nypost.com/2018/05/02/roethlisberger-doesnt-want-rudolph-to-take-over-anytime-soon/

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 11:12 AM, The Gipper said:

You are one fuyucking stupid idjit.   Of course the organization selected them....but it was as much bad luck as anything.

Then don't tell me the primary reason for your teams haplessness is your QB's,

The rest of your post?  Irrelevant garbage.

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:47 AM, The Gipper said:

For a guy that said that he might want to retire a while back, the selection of Mason Rudolph by the Steeler team seem to have him gripping......and griping over it:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/05/01/mason-rudolph-steelers-ben-roethlisberger-retirement/stories/201805010130

https://nypost.com/2018/05/02/roethlisberger-doesnt-want-rudolph-to-take-over-anytime-soon/

Damn right he was griping. He knows Rudolph is something special.  He couldn't have cared less when Dobbs was drafted.

On 5/5/2018 at 6:22 PM, StinkHole said:

Then don't tell me the primary reason for your teams haplessness is your QB's,

The rest of your post?  Irrelevant garbage.

Nope primary reason is really actually pretty quite accurate.   There have been bad choices made in drafting of QBs.  Of course, I suspect that you do not understand the meaning or the word "primary".   Primary does not mean that is the only factor....there may be a dozen factors, all of which combined have made us the haplessness of this team....but the BAD QBs is THE primary factor among those dozen.

As for the rest of my post....of course it is hypothetical.   But it is a hypothesis that YOU propounded. And while anything hypothetical is irrelevent.....that does not mean it is erroneous. 

Ben Roethlisberger's tantrum only validates Steelers' Mason Rudolph pick

Sports NOW SPORTING NEWS — VIYER@SPORTINGNEWS.COM (VINNIE IYER)

https://www.armstrongmywire.com/news/read/article/sporting_news-ben_roethlisbergers_tantrum_only_validates_steeler-rspnews/category/sports

When Ben Roethlisberger got his first chance to publicly discuss the Steelers' draft selection of his potential successor in Mason Rudolph, the Pittsburgh starting QB made it clear he wasn't a fan of the pick.

"I was surprised when they took a quarterback because I thought that, maybe in the third round, you know you can get some really good football players that can help this team now,” Roethlisberger said during an interview on Pittsburgh's 93.7 The Fan, also suggesting the pick felt like an affront to his commitment to playing for the Steelers at age 36. "I think they believed me. Once they drafted a quarterback in the third, I wasn't sure if they believed me or not."

Although there is some rationale to Roethlisberger's initial emotions, the Steelers made the right move for the better of both the team's future and its Hall of Fame quarterback's present.

Rudolph will help the Steelers win immediately, and Roethlisberger with his words proved why. Rudolph might not be of help on the field as long as Big Ben is healthy and active, but the rookie's presence already has lit an extra fire under Roethlisberger. Pittsburgh now hopes the veteran's big words in May will turn into bigger actions come September.

The situation should sound familiar. In 2013, a 36-year-old Tom Brady struggled through one of his shakiest seasons as the Patriots' starter as they fell short of the Super Bowl. New England then drafted Jimmy Garoppolo in the second round of the 2014 NFL Draft. After a shaky start to the 2014 season, Brady was rejuvenated all the way through a victory in the Super Bowl for his then-elusive fourth ring.

In a more recent example, Alex Smith in 2017 saw the Chiefs draft Patrick Mahomes in the first round after the veteran had led them to a 12-4 record and a division title. Smith responded with his best NFL season at age 33.

NFL DRAFT GRADES:
How Steelers fared with 2018 picks

The Steelers are coming off four consecutive playoff berths and four consecutive playoff disappointments. Since a prolific 2013 season, Roethlisberger has been inconsistent and inefficient. Although he has put up a few monster games, some low points — like poor road play and last year's regular-season game against the Jaguars — have damaged either his team's postseason standing or its ultimate fate.

With Roethlisberger's play leveling off late in his career, and given his own hints at retirement, the Steelers can't be blamed for accelerating their plans of lining up a replacement.

Part of Roethlisberger's frustration over the pick is the fact that the Steelers used a fourth-rounder on a QB last year, too, in Joshua Dobbs. When Roethlisberger says the team should have thought more about sitting on their depth chart of Dobbs and backup Landry Jones, he means he doesn't want to worry about an actual potential heir apparent such as Rudolph........CONTINUED IN LINK........

On 5/5/2018 at 6:28 PM, StinkHole said:

Damn right he was griping. He knows Rudolph is something special.  He couldn't have cared less when Dobbs was drafted.

Well....that certainly remains to be seen.  Let's put it this way.....I thought he was on a par with the other 5 guys taken ahead of him.  But others here did not believe that.....and it seems on the surface anyway that their views held sway with ALL the front offices of the teams of the NFL.  He went late third round.  If any single one of those teams thought he was something special.....he would not have lasted nearly as long.  But sure, third rounders can become "special"   Joe Montana, Russell Wilson, etc.    But, as I said, BR is griping and moaning about the choice,    a choice that his own sorry a$$ kind of forced the Steelers to take with all of his retirement talk. The thing is, BR is the second biggest liar in the country, and is always the drama queen.  So he forces the Steelers to look toward their future with his retirement talk, but when they do, he complains that they could have gotten someone in round 3 to help them now. Well...when he buys the team, or runs the team, or when he quits lying to the team and playing the drama queen, then perhaps he can make the decisions for the team.....or at least be honest with them  

Now he says he wants to play another 3-5 years?  What happened to all the "I'm not sure I can take it anymore?"   Taking a guy in the third round fires up his competitive juices?  

I am kinda glad he continues to want to play.  That means that it will be sweet when he gets crushed like a pumpkin on a porch at Halloween.

Ben be trippin'...

Stirs up sh!t with talk of retiring...

... so the Steelers hedge with a late, Day 2, QB pick...

... then Ben rips his FO for misspending the pick.

Maybe he should go for a helmetless motorcycle ride to clear his head...

16 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

Why is this even on the browns board?  Get rid if this crap

Because the foibles of the Browns divisional rivals is always a subject for this board. That is only natural.  Especially if those rivals have players gripping and griping.

Archived