THE BROWNS BOARD

Smart football

Solon16

Personally think this football team will play(for the first time) sound football. Gone will be the bonehead personal fouls (ala winslow), gone will be the multiple penalties in a row(false starts etc), Gone will be the me first attitude. I think we will be a tough, smart and disciplined football team( for the first time since 99). Who knows how Quinn will do, lewis, edwards etc....what i do think is we will be a much smarter football team. NE got to many a superbowl, not by being the most talented, but by being tough and smart. I unlike most thought Mangini was a super hire....and that he got the shaft in NY. He and Kokinas have brought us a team that has the most depth since our return to football. I don't think that can be disputed.

Personally think this football team will play(for the first time) sound football. Gone will be the bonehead personal fouls (ala winslow), gone will be the multiple penalties in a row(false starts etc), Gone will be the me first attitude. I think we will be a tough, smart and disciplined football team( for the first time since 99). Who knows how Quinn will do, lewis, edwards etc....what i do think is we will be a much smarter football team. NE got to many a superbowl, not by being the most talented, but by being tough and smart. I unlike most thought Mangini was a super hire....and that he got the shaft in NY. He and Kokinas have brought us a team that has the most depth since our return to football. I don't think that can be disputed.

AMEN!!!

Mike

Hell Yeah. I hated Mangini at first, but the more I hear the more I like. Its kinda like Remember the Titans, abd the Replacements all in one. Got to work em hard, and play with heart and smart.

I dont think were gonna have as many injuries as we usually do. This is due to the rough camp and contact drills in the summer, the athletes bodies will come prepared.

Guest Aloysius

And one can hope that the Browns will play smarter than the Jets played last year.

In a recent interview, David Bowens talked about how the Jets were plagued by communication issues in coverage last year, like when Abe Elam followed Lee Evans on a drag route, allowing TE Derek Fine to slip behind Bowens for a touchdown (boy, that pissed off Bowens). And we all remember the communication issues the Browns' secondary had in the Broncos game.

Bowens said that Rob Ryan is doing a good job of getting all the guys on the same page in coverage, which should do a lot to improve our pass defense.

Nobody has hit any player from another team in a preseason game. I have been burned too many times getting caught up in mini-camp and training-camp hoopla.

We'll see how this all looks after a few games. Mangini is loving life because he hasn't made any tough calls and neither have his players. When the games begin only then will I get excited.

Skepitcal I am.

Nobody has hit any player from another team in a preseason game. I have been burned too many times getting caught up in mini-camp and training-camp hoopla.

We'll see how this all looks after a few games. Mangini is loving life because he hasn't made any tough calls and neither have his players. When the games begin only then will I get excited.

Skepitcal I am.

Same here and I was just talking to a buddy about this. I am buying in after swearing I wasn't going to get all optimistic and goo goo eyed. The bottom line is this guy is doing things right and it is hard not to buy in.

Skepitcal I am.

Im very optimistic about this team yet realistic...Camp isnt a bunch of hoopla this time around mangini is drilling those guys hard so hard in fact the players union is supposedly looking into it...

At worst this team will be tough and smart and fight to the end every game at best its a far better team then all the pundants said was going to the superbowl last year only everyone forgot it takes a lot of hard teamwork a plan and a coaching staff to go anywhere the team now has a real coaching staff instead of a fat buddy wannabe...

Many are skeptical now but by the end of preseason i think most will be excited about the browns chances under kokinis/mangini...;)

Legend--due to the rough camp and contact drills in the summer, the atheletes bodies will come prepared?????????

Please explain to me how this will help over come concussions, torn ACL's, broken bones and the other assortment of cuts and brusies....

Every NFL player is one play away from the IR list and no amount of conditioning will prevent some of these injuries---it's an old wives tale or fantasy football league mentality to think otherwise....

Theres a fine line between getting your players ready to play a season and burning them out early, the good or lucky coaches seem to find where that line is drawn....

Tough camps usually develop discipline and allow the players to realize who the alpha male is in the organization--the coach... Discipline helps minimize mistakes and leads to a winning mentality...

For the past few seasons it seems our Browns rarely showed up ready to play the game... I'm hoping Mangini gets this team properly prepared and he seems, so far, to be doing the things that will accomplish this objective.... However like most Browns fans, I'll only believe it when I see it happen on the field and in the won / loss column....

peace

T.Dawg

Legend--due to the rough camp and contact drills in the summer, the atheletes bodies will come prepared?????????

Please explain to me how this will help over come concussions, torn ACL's, broken bones and the other assortment of cuts and brusies....

Every NFL player is one play away from the IR list and no amount of conditioning will prevent some of these injuries---it's an old wives tale or fantasy football league mentality to think otherwise....

Theres a fine line between getting your players ready to play a season and burning them out early, the good or lucky coaches seem to find where that line is drawn....

i'm not so sure, T. Dawg. there is merit to getting away from the game in the off-season and letting your body recoup but in general the athletes who have the least injuries are the ones who stay conditioned year-round. i don't have stats for you but i can give you specific examples that exist in the extended sports realm. i'm an MMAaholic, been obsessed for a long time, probably 20+ years (which is about 2/3rd my age). some of my favorite fighters, BJ Penn in particular, used to get by on raw talent and athleticism...and only trained for 3 months or so before each fight. this worked fine until they began to face seriously stiff competition>>>at that point in their careers the top flight opponents didn't always get the win, but they would still inflict serious damage to them. broken ribs are a good example of this. later in their careers after they committed to year-round conditioning these types of injuries were totally eliminated. they say that training year-round, as opposed to just a few months before the events/season, whatever, made their body like a suit of armor. a few months can get you into shape physically and cardio-wise but it doesn't strengthen the ligaments, tendons, bones, muscle attachments, or muscle tissue to the point of being protection. the "off-and-on" cycle wears on the body differently than when it's kept at a certain level of health, fitness, and even extreme stress. the body can adapt to amazing situations when you train it properly but it takes a total commitment from the individual. the same goes for fighters who have broken bones in their hands, it wasn't the abuse it took necessarily, it was that it wasn't conditioned to take that abuse over a long enough period. is this making sense? i have a bookshelf full of books that have chapters focusing on this very thing and in today's fight game it seems to be the consensus. i wouldn't discount it because these guys don't wear any pads and they take direct shots everywhere--they should know if anyone should.

the body can adapt to amazing situations when you train it properly but it takes a total commitment from the individual. the same goes for fighters who have broken bones in their hands, it wasn't the abuse it took necessarily, it was that it wasn't conditioned to take that abuse over a long enough period. is this making sense?

Actually, it makes a lot of sense. Bones that are subjected to stress get stronger. A right handed professional tennis player will have tougher, thicker bones in the right arm than in the left. Astronauts come home from space with weaker bones because there are no demands placed on them causing them to toughen up. It would make sense to me that year round training would toughen the body more than a few months in preseason. The type of stresses put on the body during conditioning are not the same as the abuse delivered during a game, but would prepare the body to withstand the physical contact during play.

He and Kokinas have brought us a team that has the most depth since our return to football. I don't think that can be disputed.

I can dispute it all day long until I see it on the field. I have looked at teams in the past and we looked good "on paper".. Ask me on week 9 (our bye week).. after we have played some good teams.. had to see if that depth actually equates to winning games on the field or not.. Then you may have something that may or may not be disputed.. I agree "on paper" the depth looks good. On the field can still be disputed all day long. Cuz until we win..we still suck.

go ahead and dispute it......we have better quality depth at all positions since 99'. that's a fact, to me! Pick a year for comparison b4 you sheet on it, plz

I agree with the fact that we have better all around depth, but not at every position... we took a hit to TE when Winslow was traded, granted we have Royal now, Heiden, and Rucker, as well as some other bums who wont play, I say we keep winslow, Rucker, Heiden, and get Royal... Thats depth improvement.

Dont say kellen was addition by subtraction either, kid could ball... He had consistent hands

go ahead and dispute it......we have better quality depth at all positions since 99'. that's a fact, to me! Pick a year for comparison b4 you sheet on it, plz

Solon: What a joke. Hindsight is 20/20.. if we end up at the bottom defense at the end of the year.. I can easily look back in future years and say the depth was not there. That is what you are doing. You are trying to compare the known with the unknown.. The known failures of the past vs the unknown of how this team will perform this year.

We do not REALLY REALLY know if this team has depth or not UNTIL IT IS TESTED!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW THAT...is beyond dispute.. (on paper means dick)

Speaking for myself I guess I always just kind of thought RAC 'n ROLLS was pretending to be stupid. Like that's the way he wanted to be perceived so the media would in essence leave him alone.

I'm pretty sure the guy knows football and a lot better than he came off representing, but damn you can feel free to show a little more than what he did.

I'm totally fired up over Mangini and his staff, they are football through and through and very intelligent. Mangie gets Cleveland football too, this is where he got his start.....literally.

We're going to see a remarkable difference this year, I have no doubt about it. No more kicking a fuggin FG down by three scores type crap for one.

Well, I just took a yearly bet with a Browns hater friend of mine and he gives me $20 for every game above 8 and 8 and I do the same for under 8 and 8. Right now I'm the laughing stock of the bar and he thinks he just pulled the bet of the century off.

I have high hopes for this team.

I'm totally fired up over Mangini and his staff, they are football through and through and very intelligent. Mangie gets Cleveland football too, this is where he got his start.....literally.

We're going to see a remarkable difference this year, I have no doubt about it. No more kicking a fuggin FG down by three scores type crap for one.

I agree...Mangini & Kokinis BOTH are happy to be in Cleveland again, & that is major, combined with the fact that these are young men. The last young one we had was Butch, & even if he HAD done a good job (which he did NOT), he would have bolted for southern climes as soon as he could get there. I think we will have continuity of a positive type through a staff that actually wants to coach here. They also have an understanding of what it means to beat Peeburgh.

I also feel that depth provides a more minimal "dropoff" in performance if a starter is injured...In that regard, we are WAY ahead of last year already. They don't have to be in pads yet to see that.

Mike

Well, I just took a yearly bet with a Browns hater friend of mine and he gives me $20 for every game above 8 and 8 and I do the same for under 8 and 8. Right now I'm the laughing stock of the bar and he thinks he just pulled the bet of the century off.

I have high hopes for this team.

I'm guessing you end up getting a Ben Franklin from him.

Any one who's been paying attention since January knows that's optimistic but should be close to the mark.

If we go 13-3 I'm going to run down my street naked waving my Browns flag singing "cleveland rocks!"

You're in the Carolinas. You probably do that everyday anyway. :P

This is great news Shep, I hope they keep hating on us. Not because I think it will put some chip on the shoulders of our players/coaches, but I believe there is some cosmic force that ensures that offseason predictions about the NFL are consistently 99.9% wrong.

and that's waht they were predicting about Miami and Atlanta last year while talking up the Browns as the next coming. so i take everything they say with a grain of salt.

I just read that piece saying the Browns would be the worst team in football, or close to it.

Was it Walter C. from walterfootball.com?

He has such a hard on for Mangini that it colors everything he writes about him. It's too bad because generally his website is a pretty good one.

He has the Browns being the worst team in football and drafting Bradford #1 in 2010.

Archived