THE BROWNS BOARD

Overall Draft Reaction... your thoughts?

thenew23

9 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

You listed Antonio Callaway right after typing this.   Did you even proof read, bruh?

The first five picks, the most important picks, warrant exactly what he said.

After that, they did take some chances on some guys - I trust that Dorsey and co did their homework on these guys,

and decided they were worth taking a chance on.

Like Calloway - a first round talent, troubled off-the-field.

But he has a daughter now. He has been influenced by Antonio Brown - wants to get his life right for his daughter.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000928523/article/antonio-callaway-i-take-responsibility-for-everything

For later on draft picks, I can see taking chances on a player if it's warranted. Calloway is very much like Tyreek Hill, who Dorsey

also took a chance on. I'm good with it, as long as it isn't in the first three rounds. So, of course, in the higher rounds, they went for character, etc.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOVE THE PICK

WARD (A-)

CHUBB,(A-)

CALLAWAY (A-)

HARRISON (UFA) ( A-)

LIKE THE PICK

MAYFIELD (B+)

CORBETT (B+) 

AVERY (B) 

THOMPSON ( UFA)  (B)

WAS OK WITH THE PICK

C THOMAS (B-)

RATLEY (C+)

REST OF UFA (C+)

NEVER HEARD OF HIM PICK

S THOMAS  (UNGRADED)

I did not hate any of the picks ...... time will tell

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

Yeah not quite. He took an alcoh9lic Retard #1 overall. That isn't a "high character" player anymore than Callaway or the other drug addled loser he took late in the draft. 

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

No, they don't.

We ignored some off and on field character speed bumps with Mayfield for his 'talent'.

We went for Ward who is both a great talent and has zero character concerns.

Corbett who looks to be a swing T/G with no character concerns and has little to do with explosion and playmaking

Finally, Chad Thomas who is a tweener in that department.  He flashes great physical and explosion.   Doesn't appear to be a character issue.  

The "character over explosion" is an inaccurate and cliche' comment.  

I can't say I dislike any of the picks though there are a few I don't know anything about.

I love the Mayfield pick, as well as Chubb, Ward(thought I had to mull that over for a day after) and Calloway.   Calloway has had his problems but as a 4th rounder, there is little risk.  4th round receivers wash out all the time.  Does it really matter why a player washes out?  I don't think so.  If he doesn't, we got a top 15 receiver in the 4th round.  Well worth the risk IMO

I really like the Corbett pick.  The scouts love the guy...not just our scouts...and call him NFL ready.  Add in he can play anywhere, all the better.  Avery is another i really like.  I think he will be a heck of a backer.

Callaway 5'11" ran a 4.41 40, BJ 121.0 in. and Vert. 34.0 in.

Ratley 6'2" ran 4.39 40, BJ 124.0 in. and Vert 38 in.

Those are serious numbers for our two WR takes in the draft. Dorsey likes speed and ability to go after the ball. You sure can't sneeze at 4.4 speed.

6 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Callaway 5'11" ran a 4.41 40, BJ 121.0 in. and Vert. 34.0 in.

Ratley 6'2" ran 4.39 40, BJ 124.0 in. and Vert 38 in.

Those are serious numbers for our two WR takes in the draft. Dorsey likes speed and ability to go after the ball. You sure can't sneeze at 4.4 speed.

I wonder how they compare to Josh Gordon and Corey Coleman's numbers when they were drafted?

8 hours ago, Suomi said:

For me Walter Football has always been a joke.  They've reinforced that here by calling the Browns draft "homoclitic" and claiming that it should have been "heteroclitic" instead.  JFC -You're writing for football fans, not high school kids studying for the SATs.  Know your audience!

I always keep in the back of my mind when I read anything these sports writers are paid to meet deadlines, beat the other guys on topics, sometimes just to be contriversional not necessarily correct.

It keeps the very crowded sports reporting world full of opinions!

.......edit add, oh there are a few I do like.

5 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I wonder how they compare to Josh Gordon and Corey Coleman's numbers when they were drafted?

JG 6'3" ran 4.52 40, BJ 122 in. and Vert. 35.5 in.

CC 5'11" ran 4.40 40, BJ 129 in. and Vert. 40.5 in.

5 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

JG 6'3" ran 4.52 40, BJ 122 in. and Vert. 35.5 in.

CC 5'11" ran 4.40 40, BJ 129 in. and Vert. 40.5 in.

You left out one key stat JG hands of velcro, CC hands of stone. 

First thing we do is shut hue jackson up with his slob knobbing of baker mayfield...take a page out of belichecks book and stfu!!!

i can figure out who to shut up more...HJ or Ghool sample

Honest opinion..So much evaluation time was spent on the QB parade coming & going ending up back again at Berea. That the firm of Wolfe & Highsmith sole job was to have 3 players names ready per round starting in round 4.Dorsey than had his own visited troubled list to project to those players chosen by W&H . A)Baker became my #1 after all prodays..At the visiting period, Baker is the only QB I could see "Wanting to 'really' Win in Cleveland" like Dorsey motivates. Far more than Rosen or Darnolds bland energy of interviewing that I picture.Took Baker in pick 6. B)Ward became my #4 pick as posted in Barkley at 1 overall topic. Seen every B.Chubb game. Position gap at CB #1 far larger than Chubb Vs. Ogbah. C)RB N.Chubb became my #2 of RB class after comparing his combine numbers to Barkley. N. Chubb surpassed Sony Michel as my #1 Rb after posting RB class fumble ratios//With pick #33 my hopes were, getting up to #18 with Seattle to go get big Mike McGlinchy. Giving Shaq Griffin to Seattle at #33. Well Big Mike went #9 to 49'ers..no chance..So to whom ever this Austin Corbett is to become..Try being better than Mike McGlinchy..      

On calloway- this guy isn't your typical 'character' problem guy.  By most accounts he is a BAD APPLE.  I follow sec football pretty closely, and I cant recall

many players who have his sorts of character issues.  He isn't the kind of player who gets caught up in the wrong crowd; he IS the wrong crowd.

Another group of picks being coached by the worst head coach of all time.  What could go wrong?

22 minutes ago, LBC mike said:

I see potential bust with every pick.

I see potential busts with every player taken in the draft...thing is we wont know for 3 years ....

Overall Draft Reaction

I usually just grab a sweater.

1 hour ago, Tacosman said:

On calloway- this guy isn't your typical 'character' problem guy.  By most accounts he is a BAD APPLE. .....  He isn't the kind of player who gets caught up in the wrong crowd; he IS the wrong crowd.

Really!  I'm not familiar with him.  So you're thinking that's a guaranteed wasted pick then.  And that there's some potential Gordon will tag along with him for the ride.....

1 hour ago, Browns149 said:

Another group of picks being coached by the worst head coach of all time.  What could go wrong?

Have you ever coached or ever played the game? Now with Haley in place. It's very possible Hue can now fix a few things with his time..A)team more game tape prepared for weekly opponents. B.) And Biggest.Players Executing their assignments..For every play there is 2-3 players/boners not doing their assignment. These are when you saw Cam Erving laying in the QB's lap in QB's drop. And when at a RB exchange RB gets blasted.. C.) Most are position coaches not doing their jobs teaching techniques. But some players just suck at taking teaching of technique seriously being a pro. Those players get a phone call to your GM asking for better talent..Good coachable Talent can win accepting being Coached..Hue's best position coach at this point is our DL coach Clyde Simmons.. 

the more I think about this draft, the more disgusted I am with it.  

We selected a qb #1 overall who is 6 feet, not that athletic, has a decent but not great arm....when we could have drafted rosen or darnold.

I like our pick at #4, but could we have gotten him some picks later?

Austin Corbett at 33 is a bad joke.  So he's going to compete for maybe the center starting job? wtf? Did we draft him 33 or 233?

Nick chubb at 35 is a crappy pick....he has no burst.  Good kid, just the inury killed him.

Chad thomas...who?

Antonio Calloway is perhaps the least character player in the whole draft.  Has like 6 red flag incidents....the sort of guy an organization should want nothing to do with.

19 hours ago, VikingDawg said:

Yeah not quite. He took an alcoh9lic Retard #1 overall. That isn't a "high character" player anymore than Callaway or the other drug addled loser he took late in the draft. 

An alcoholic Retard was taken in this draft?  I didn't know your name was on the Big Board.

Think about all the past drafts in which we thought that the Browns killed it....thought they hit home runs out of the park all over the place.

Now think about this draft where the comments are:  Meh,   each pick seems reachy.    X player sucks, Y player sucks, Z player sucks.

So, maybe that is a good sign:   we amateurs think that the Browns did meh...

....and hopefully, in fact....5 years down the road this draft proves to have been a killer draft.  Opposite of what many think.

11 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Think about all the past drafts in which we thought that the Browns killed it....thought they hit home runs out of the park all over the place.

Now think about this draft where the comments are:  Meh,   each pick seems reachy.    X player sucks, Y player sucks, Z player sucks.

So, maybe that is a good sign:   we amateurs think that the Browns did meh...

....and hopefully, in fact....5 years down the road this draft proves to have been a killer draft.  Opposite of what many think.

So we are all George "The Opposite" Costanza?:lol:

Still working on my take, but I think it's safe to say that we did not win this draft.

13 hours ago, Tacosman said:

the more I think about this draft, the more disgusted I am with it. 

Woulda, shoulda, coulda will drive you crazy...

Do yourself a favor and at least wait until the pro data starts flowing.

22 hours ago, VikingDawg said:

One drunk and disorderly bust in college does not make someone an alcoholic. As to being a Retard, he blew Marrucci away with his white board work at the Combine. Had a respectable Wunderlich, if you want to call a prospect a Retard, that's Jackson's 8. 

Archived