THE BROWNS BOARD

Austin Corbett

Ibleedbrown

I heard on the radio that this kid fits into Haley's run blocking/zone blocking schemes perfectly; we shall see.

Face it folks- our O line last year was pretty good at pass protection, but wasn't very good at run blocking. The Browns are bringing in a bunch of competition to camp at many positions in hopes it pays dividends. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

The Browns are bringing in a bunch of competition to camp at many positions in hopes it pays dividends. 

We surpassed the Moneyball Movie.. Now am leaning more towards Dorsey playing the part of Paul Newman in the movie Slapshot..The Bereatown Chiefs in the new movie called Longshot :o..Austin Corbett has the characteristic stuck between Ogie Ogilthope or Dave"killer"Carlson..(ok, am good now for the year..1 ringing hockey post :P)

35 minutes ago, JimboJones said:

By these stats, it seemed pretty average other than the right side.  But yeah could use some improvement.

Plus, we abandoned the run in a few games where we should have stuck with it. We beat Minnesota for sure in London if they run the ball.

13 hours ago, Bob806 said:

I heard on the radio that this kid fits into Haley's run blocking/zone blocking schemes perfectly; we shall see.

Face it folks- our O line last year was pretty good at pass protection, but wasn't very good at run blocking. The Browns are bringing in a bunch of competition to camp at many positions in hopes it pays dividends. 

Haley, Haley, Haley ... He has Dorsey's ear.

Hubbard was blossoming in his offense last year, now he is a Brown.

Got him a vet blocking TE with some red zone skills.

Top of the second round we take a versatile OL.

Not one, but two Pound the rock RBs, Hyde and Chubb.

Jarvis Landry is an OC's dream.

And not to mention, revamping the QB room with two guys with similar skillsets.

You won't recognize this offense. (Because it's going to be good)

Zombo

21 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Zombo

I don't yet know how good, but certainly good enough to keep the defense more rested and win several games we should have won the past two years. Playoffs? Eh, just too many young guys that have a lot to learn both about the game and about playing with one another as a unit. Like last year going into the season I will be more impressed by what we are doing the second half of the season than by the first half (though it would make me very happy to see things click right away).

EDIT: And just once I'd like to see us start several games in a row with everyone playing at 100% healthy.

14 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Oh Lord... please tell me we are not heading back to the ZBS again.

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

Zombo

And you didn't even mention the potential downfield threats of Gordon,  Coleman, Calloway....if those guys or any 2 of them get their acts together.  Opening the middle of the field for  Landry, Duke, and  out TEs.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Oh Lord... please tell me we are not heading back to the ZBS again.

Well, that's what Hyde just came from.  Georgia runs some zone concepts.  Doesn't mean we exclusively have to go one way or another.  Case in point - New Orleans.  Errr... sorry, Nawlins. 

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/11/7/16523738/2017-opponent-scouting-report-week-10-steelers-offense-theyre-probably-not-going-to-punt

You’re well aware Haley and Mike Munchak run a mix of power and zone schemes. The Steelers leaned on a lot of Counter OF, the famous Georgia Counter that ripped off so many chunk yards in 2014. Steelers often run this out of a heavy personnel. Can have one or two tight ends to the playside with the backside guard (BSG), usually right guard David DeCastro, pull in conjunction with the backside tight end.

On 5/3/2018 at 7:08 PM, Bob806 said:

10 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/11/7/16523738/2017-opponent-scouting-report-week-10-steelers-offense-theyre-probably-not-going-to-punt

You’re well aware Haley and Mike Munchak run a mix of power and zone schemes. The Steelers leaned on a lot of Counter OF, the famous Georgia Counter that ripped off so many chunk yards in 2014. Steelers often run this out of a heavy personnel. Can have one or two tight ends to the playside with the backside guard (BSG), usually right guard David DeCastro, pull in conjunction with the backside tight end.

Good post logic..these so called versatile O-lineman need to come to the pros and settle in on one position first.Cam Erving found out he's only versatile as a back-up G in KC. Paid no 5th year option to earn his actual worth. In this play scheme G Will Hernandez just makes more sense imo & was BPA on the board. Am still clueless why we would be drafting a G anyway. My best guess on A. Corbett is,say so long to Durango or S.Coleman..Maybe back-up C Reiter as well..    

On 4/27/2018 at 9:57 PM, Tour2ma said:

I can't see Corbett at OT...

• Williams' arm-length at 33" became an issue. Corbett's? 33-1/8"
  • Williams' 7.83 sec. 3-cone was testament to his feet. Corbett's? 7.87...

He ain't Bito... looks like inside depth to me...

It'll be interesting to see how Coleman responds.  If Bitonio didn't get 2 seasons cut short to lower extremity injuries - I could see them throwing him into the competition. That said, it would be nice to keep both OGs and Center in place while we look to change starting personnel at both Tackle spots. I feel like we've missed some opportunities to add some better blocking TEs in the last couple drafts.

Anyway, here's a draft profile of Austin.

If the other four lineman stay healthy, the only place Corbett emerges is at LT. I think he takes on Coleman for the role, and I'd bet on the current GMs second rounder over the former GMs 3rd rounder every time.

Zombo

39 minutes ago, Zombo said:

... I'd bet on the current GMs second rounder over the former GMs 3rd rounder every time.

I feel a New Orleans (Nawlins) bet brewing...

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

I feel a New Orleans (Nawlins) bet brewing...

I'm in on the bet, but don't think I am making the Nawlins game. It is the weekend before the Jets Thursday Night Game which has been chosen as the Browns Board Tailgate this year.

If I didn't have a girlfriend with a real job I would make it a fun week and do both, but I do (as of this writing).

Z

44 minutes ago, Zombo said:

I'm in on the bet, but don't think I am making the Nawlins game. It is the weekend before the Jets Thursday Night Game which has been chosen as the Browns Board Tailgate this year.

If I didn't have a girlfriend with a real job I would make it a fun week and do both, but I do (as of this writing).

Z

Cut her from team Zombo. Poor attitude.;)

21 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Not to get side tracked here but how do I get more info on this?

When it gets closer we will post details. But basically we all meet at tailgate spot down by the river and party and play cornhole. 

Many of us fly in for it, and party on the town, catch a Tribe game etc. I think it will be a long tailgate with a night game!

Z

5 hours ago, Zombo said:

At least your girlfriend has a real job.... ;)

OK, I think I can do Cleveland.

Week 1 LT starter: Me - Shon Coleman; Z - Corbett...

Dinner? Game Tix? Other? What's your pleasure?

4 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

At least your girlfriend has a real job.... ;)

OK, I think I can do Cleveland.

Week 1 LT starter: Me - Shon Coleman; Z - Corbett...

Dinner? Game Tix? Other? What's your pleasure?

Hmmm ... let me think was the pri,e shall be ...

Caveat: If Corbett is starting somewhere else along the line due to injury it is a push.

Zombo.

5 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Caveat: If Corbett is starting somewhere else along the line due to injury it is a push.

It'd be really weird if a team pulled it's starting LT inside for any reason, but if we cut Reiter loose and Tretter goes down, then I could see it.

If either Coleman or Corbett go down due to injury, I'd call it a push as well.

Prize-wise... I can afford most anything except your bar tab...

16 hours ago, Zombo said:

Zombo.

Better accept his offer asap Z.  Tour has a tendency to chicken out on simple bets.  I offered to bet  him lunch that Mason Rudolph would be picked in round one.  He was convinced he would not be....and he was right....but he would not take the bet for such small stakes. If I were you I WOULD hold out for your bar tab for that weekend.

Archived