THE BROWNS BOARD

Nick Chubb

stillmotion

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To those who think "reach" on Chubb, by the time our next pick came up the only back available near that first group of RBs was Freeman from Oregon. All the others including the fallen Guice were gone. We only traded up once in this draft, so would we have done so to get one of the best in an area of such high need? I don't know but based on Dorsey's history, I doubt it.

Just thank your lucky stars we got a really serious RB. He and Hyde have improved the RB room better than any other position on this team. That can only help our other majorly improved QB position. Between those two positions and some competition to push the WR's, we have helped this team start winning games on a more regular basis. I'm calling it now 5-8 wins. The off season and the draft are putting something on the field we can get behind for a change.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

He and Hyde have improved the RB room better than any other position on this team.

Hope that's not true... cause QB...

That doesn't help me... ;)

Seriously... how does the RB room's improvement beat going from Kizer-Kessler-Hogan to Taylor-Mayfield-Stanton?

RBs can both play on down 1 game 1. Mayfield will not likely do so. So we have 1 QB playing right away far better than those 3, but we have two new RBs far better than that unproductive group last year. Two guys who can consistently move the chains and help the QBs hit the short passes by keeping LBs honest. And they both have the vision to see the lateral holes that Crow was incapable of seeing. That combination will keep the defense off the field enough so they don't lose their edge in the latter part of the game. We have the line to play keepaway and now the backs running behind them to execute it. This season is gonna be fun to watch.

I knew what he meant - the rb's can be stars from game one.

It will take time for Mayfield to see the field - not sure he can beat out Taylor for a while.

Chubb will beat out Hyde quickly, just needs to make sure he is not a liability on 3rd down passing. Not saying he is, just hope he will be goos at it. With our stable of rbs and wrs now, where does that leave Duke? He played slot alot last year and now we have Landry. Going to be interesting.

6 minutes ago, Orion said:

The only thing that scares me now, about our RB's (& QB's) is our offensive tackles.

Setting that up for so many quality ones to choose from next year. Far, far better OT class in 2019 draft. Most of the OL we have now is good enough to be the kind of road graders you need to grind out the yardage with runs and short passes. Since "go deep gunslinger" Hue is no longer the OC, we have a chance to play the ball control game that sets up that occasional PA long pass downfield. And we have the perfect slot receiver and RB's to make it click. Will be fun to see it all at work.

the problem with chubb is he's not a fast twitch guy.  He reminds me a little bit of eddie george, and no thats not a compliment.  

I watched pretty much every carry chubb had these last two years being an sec fanatic.  He was better in 2017 than 2016, but you can see that gruesome injury still took its toll.  

19 hours ago, cambridgeho said:

Chubb will beat out Hyde quickly, just needs to make sure he is not a liability on 3rd down passing. Not saying he is, just hope he will be goos at it. With our stable of rbs and wrs now, where does that leave Duke? He played slot alot last year and now we have Landry. Going to be interesting.

Third down back. Clearly...and capably.

11 hours ago, Tacosman said:

the problem with chubb is he's not a fast twitch guy.  He reminds me a little bit of eddie george, and no thats not a compliment.  

Well....it should be.   George was a borderline Hall of Famer.  If Chubb were to have the kind of career that Eddie George did it would mean he will have been the best RB this team has had since Leroy Kelly. Sure.....Chubb will be a power back.  

Hopefully that means that we will no longer ever have to run a flea flicker on 3rd and 1 or 2 near the goal line.

I watched pretty much every carry chubb had these last two years being an sec fanatic.  He was better in 2017 than 2016, but you can see that gruesome injury still took its toll.  

So...being a part of the "RB by committee" set up....as he had similarly at Georgia will be a good thing then.

12 hours ago, Tacosman said:

While true about pre and post injury, I also saw him in steady improvement to the point he is able again to make that jump cut and run through the holes again, something Crow could not do because he had no vision, like Chubb, to know there was even a hole to jump cut to and through.

well, figure it this way:

" XXX tries to create a big play too often, cutting to the outside when the better and smarter run is between the tackles. He doesn't stay with lead or pull blockers very well at all, and needs to show a higher degree of patience on many plays. His blocking leaves quite a bit to be desired, as he seems to display very little effort in that phase of his game. He's also had some lingering and recurring hand and arm injuries, which could lead to ball-handling problems if they keep up. "

that is Marshawn Lynch, first round, 12th overall pick.

https://www.thoughtco.com/marshawn-lynch-1336177

Chubb had 18 receptions back in 2014 - he can catch.

In a great rb draft - Chubb will be a star, and it didn't take a first round pick to get him. I'm good with that.

22 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

RBs can both play on down 1 game 1. Mayfield will not likely do so. So we have 1 QB playing right away far better than those 3, but we have two new RBs far better than that unproductive group last year. Two guys who can consistently move the chains and help the QBs hit the short passes by keeping LBs honest. And they both have the vision to see the lateral holes that Crow was incapable of seeing. That combination will keep the defense off the field enough so they don't lose their edge in the latter part of the game. We have the line to play keepaway and now the backs running behind them to execute it. This season is gonna be fun to watch.

21 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

It will take time for Mayfield to see the field - not sure he can beat out Taylor for a while.

That "unproductive" RB room produced enough to make us 18th in yards and 6th in YPA in 2017. Passing? 21st and 30th respectively.

The baseline for improvement is far lower for the QB room and Taylor is good enough capitalize that. And while I see improvement in our RB room, I am not confusing Hyde-Chubb with Byner-Mack.

The addition of Hyde and Chubb is part of that improvement at qb though - along with Landry and hopefully,

Calloway mebbe.

The Browns now have two rb hammers who can run yac, and with the improvement in the passing game - a better qb/qbs

will have a chance to excel and start winning games right from the beginning of the regular season.

Both qb's are legit field generals - who can bring out the best in the rest of the offense. I saw a thing on the nfl channel, where they showed how Mayfield makes so many successful throws, while reading the field and getting the ball out so very fast.

That, mebbe, could be the point that gives Mayfield an advantage - seems that Taylor is a lot more a running qb - Mayfield is more the fast read thrower for completions. So, maybe I'm not sure that the dramatic improvement at qb, granted, makes the running game a whole lot better, but the addition of power runners at rb will make the qbs even better. I think.

I see the difference from this video, as an example, and watching videos of Mayfield:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/browns/2018/04/30/cleveland-browns-add-fourth-quarterback-six-weeks-joel-stave/564360002/

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

That "unproductive" RB room produced enough to make us 18th in yards and 6th in YPA in 2017. Passing? 21st and 30th respectively.

The baseline for improvement is far lower for the QB room and Taylor is good enough capitalize that. And while I see improvement in our RB room, I am not confusing Hyde-Chubb with Byner-Mack.

Fair enough. But the bottom line I saw missing all season long was the RBs not giving us those 1st downs, especially the closer we got to the goal line. This group changes that most important of all stats. Now I realize that some of that was our HC and his goofy redzone plan every game, but now I feel when things tighten up defensively we have backs that can find those little creases that do not lead to an OL's butt.hole.

On 4/28/2018 at 1:30 AM, D Bone said:

Wow, there's a lot to like there!

In regard to the video- definitely, He's the opposite of Saquon, way better ability to break tackles. 

On 4/29/2018 at 2:12 PM, calfoxwc said:

That was what the Barkley crowd was harping on with Saquon. The lure of instant offense. It will be interesting to compare Chubb and Saquon's stats after the first year. Only thing is, the Browns are obviously going running back by committee. 

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

In regard to the video- definitely, He's the opposite of Saquon, way better ability to break tackles. 

That was what the Barkley crowd was harping on with Saquon. The lure of instant offense. It will be interesting to compare Chubb and Saquon's stats after the first year. Only thing is, the Browns are obviously going running back by committee. 

So compare committees...

16 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

So compare committees...

looking like Haley is keeping the FB around..when you watched your sleeper RB at Northwestern, did you notice his blocking FB Garrett Dickerson? now coming in for tryout (udfa)  

28 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

looking like Haley is keeping the FB around..when you watched your sleeper RB at Northwestern, did you notice his blocking FB Garrett Dickerson? now coming in for tryout (udfa)  

Not really, gum... not distracting enough, I guess...

1 hour ago, SD_Tom said:

If chubb ends up being anything like Eddie George   that's a steal of a pick in rd 2. 

Uh...yea.   And a guy here said that to compare him to George is no compliment!  :blink:

Sometimes some people don't have a clue.

Archived