THE BROWNS BOARD

Mayfield is no Brees

Dr.Footwear

What you talking about. He's the most accurate passer in the draft. Allen has the strongest arm but his accuracy is trash. Rosen is pretty accurate but he's not a playmaker. Darnold isn't ready. He will struggle believe that. 

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm just trying to imagine him at the Browns stadium in November with gusting winds and temperatures under 40 being successful. He's the anti-AFC North prototypical QB. 

And yes, I know, Brian Sipe did it a million years ago. 

We should of gone for a big armed tall QB who would do well in the conditions.....someone like Brandon Weeden or DeShone Kizer :)

35 minutes ago, darren15 said:

We should of gone for a big armed tall QB who would do well in the conditions.....someone like Brando Weeden or DeShone Kizer :)

It's either/or for you guys, huh?

It's amazing how Baker had some support as the guy the Browns should draft #1 before the draft, but now he's a great pick by a big portion of people on here.

It's like I've seen this scenario before... oh yeah, when the Browns drafted Brandon Weeden. Before the draft, a few people liked him. After? Well yeah, he's almost 30, and he plays in a garbage conference, but I see great things from Weeden! by masses of Browns fans. Magically, because the Browns drafted him, all objectivity went out the door. 

Browns fans are consistent, if they are anything. 

8 hours ago, Tacosman said:

When did he became that sort of prospect?  (I know the actual answer)....my point is what really changed from the middle of his 34th and final season in college and the draft?

He didn't get taller. His arm didn't get stronger.  He didn't put together a ton of window or anticipation throws that stood out any more than those he made throughout his college career.  

I'm a huge college football fan and I've seen him play a million games going back to 2015(hell I even remember him from texas tech) and I just never saw #1 draft pick.   With darnold and rosen I definately saw that at times.  

The thing about mayfield is that he isn't a great athlete.  He's not a young russell wilson in terms of elusiveness or escapability.  And yes he is very close as a physical specimen to drew brees, but that can never be the standard to which others are measured.  Brees was a rare guy whose ball pace actually increased a significant amount from his first year in the nfl to when he broke out...are we counting on that with mayfield?  

My concern about mayfield isn't even primarily the height....it's just his arm in general doesn't do it for me as a #1 pick.  I don't see him driving balls like a #1 pick should be exxpected to.  

I just always viewed a guy like Mayfield as a second round type talent at his best......#1 pick?  With rosen and darnold on the board?  Sheeesh.....

I’ll take it one step further.  I don’t think Darnold, Allen, Rosen or Mayfield have shown on the field last year that they deserve to be the number 1 pick.  They all have glaring flaws.  The Cleveland Browns selected a QB to appease fans and because Sashi & Co, along with NFL pundits, sold this year as the year of the QB I’m 2016.

At this point Tyrod Taylor is the best QB on this roster and may very well be so in week 8.  The problem is this team is going to stink again so everyone will be clamoring for Mayfield when we are 2-6.

I would’ve drafted Barkley #1 and whomever was left out of the 4 at 4.

Now they’ve got their QB and even the rosiest of sunshine pumpers will have to be negative when he stinks up the joint.

Look.... picking a qb now a days is a crap shoot.  They all come from systems with simplified reads.  Who knows if they can adapt to a complex system?   Its a crapshoot either way.

im more excited to see what we can do with an actual OC

9 hours ago, Tacosman said:

I just always viewed a guy like Mayfield as a second round type talent at his best......#1 pick?  With rosen and darnold on the board?  Sheeesh.....

I thought that most of the time, except it was Mayfield and Allen said to be the final two qb's they were going to choose between the week of the draft, per rumors. Mayfield checked all the boxes except height, Allen didn't check a few, Darnold didn't check a few...and Pouty Mad Rosyen wasn't in the mix. He was never a fit in Cleveland - (sorry Rosen groupies), and even the Jets passed him by, and so did Denver and Buffalo. Arizona is a good fit for him - good luck to him, hate to see most players bust when they get to the NFL.

Unless they really deserve it, did it to themselves.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-draft-picks-2018-results-first-round-1-analysis/j4mclh656zm51l4iygukc69x1

1. Cleveland Browns: Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma

The Browns made everyone believe this pick would be Sam Darnold or Josh Allen for a while, but they go for the highest upside quarterback in this class with Mayfield's arm, athleticism, accuracy and, yes, swagger. Mayfield will have time to develop the nuances of his game under coach Hue Jackson and behind Tyrod Taylor. He has a chance to become the dynamic winner he was in college.

Having said that, I was sittin there with my Wife, and I was saying "JOSH ALLEN" just as the pick was named.. but the TV said "Baker Mayfield"  at the exact same time....and we were laughing. Mayfield might be a bit shorter than we'd like...

but he certainly has "IT".

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

It's either/or for you guys, huh?

It's amazing how Baker had some support as the guy the Browns should draft #1 before the draft, but now he's a great pick by a big portion of people on here.

It's like I've seen this scenario before... oh yeah, when the Browns drafted Brandon Weeden. Before the draft, a few people liked him. After? Well yeah, he's almost 30, and he plays in a garbage conference, but I see great things from Weeden! by masses of Browns fans. Magically, because the Browns drafted him, all objectivity went out the door. 

Browns fans are consistent, if they are anything. 

I just want to give him a chance and if in 3 years he sucked so be it :)

9 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

So you're an optimist...

I remember the last off-season starter Hue named. ;)

No just an optometrist. Do you "see" now? :lol:

Oh this is going to be fun, welcome to another year of Cleveland Browns football.....Harry Doyle style.  Can't wait.

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

Mayfield might be a bit shorter than we'd like...

Four years ago, I can guarantee on this board you can find the same posts about one Johnny Manziel. 

42 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Four years ago, I can guarantee on this board you can find the same posts about one Johnny Manziel. 

Johnny has mental problems. He was the most talented quarterback we've had in a decade.

I can't imagine any front office stupid enough not to research someone like Baker Mayfield much more stringently than they did with Johnny.

WSS

5 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Johnny has mental problems. He was the most talented quarterback we've had in a decade.

I can't imagine any front office stupid enough not to research someone like Baker Mayfield much more stringently than they did with Johnny.

WSS

Lost in his off field problems was that the playground style Manziel succeeded with in college was very unlikely to work in the NFL. 

3 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Lost in his off field problems was that the playground style Manziel succeeded with in college was very unlikely to work in the NFL. 

Unlike the dozens of highly successful traditional NFL style quarterbacks we've had in Cleveland like... Or...???

And it was the off-field stuff that kept him off the starting roster.

😮

WSS

1 minute ago, Westside Steve said:

Unlike the dozens of highly successful traditional NFL style quarterbacks we've had in Cleveland like... Or...???

And it was the off-field stuff that kept him off the starting roster.

😮

WSS

His QB comp in reality was Fran Tarkenton, a guy who hasn't played in nearly 40 years. I just didn't see long term success for a guy like that in today's NFL... 

I know one thing, if he does end up in the CFL, I'll definitely check him out.

If he was one thing, when he was going well, he was fun as hell to watch. 

11 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

His QB comp in reality was Fran Tarkenton, a guy who hasn't played in nearly 40 years. I just didn't see long term success for a guy like that in today's NFL... 

I know one thing, if he does end up in the CFL, I'll definitely check him out.

If he was one thing, when he was going well, he was fun as hell to watch. 

Predictions of what might have been don't really matter Dutchman , because those scenarios were never allowed to take place. By the way I love Fran Tarkenton. Saying that he sucks is like saying that Jim Kelly sucks. As I see it they should have just given Johnny the keys to the car rather than micromanage his social life. I can hear everybody barking about that now but seriously, how much worse could that season have gone? And there's a chance it could have been slightly better.

WSS

15 hours ago, Dr.Footwear said:

I went to Purdue

And yet, here you are insinuating you need to quit your day job to improve our FO.

In Brees' 3rd NFL season he only threw 11 TD to 15 INTs with a comp% of 57.6 while his NFL franchise finished piss poor enough to draft 1st overall the very next year.  And GUESS what they picked?  A QB who said don't draft me because I ain't coming there if you do (named Eli Manning).

Are you the only male cheerleader from Purdue that needs to block memory that Brees needed 4 years to emerge?  He turned into a great QB.  That said, if he wasn't given a 4th year (thanks in large to their 1st round QB holding out the length of training camp) does this career ever launch?   I'm sure the more intelligent Drew Brees fans understand this.

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Having said that, I was sittin there with my Wife, and I was saying "JOSH ALLEN" just as the pick was named.. but the TV said "Baker Mayfield"  at the exact same time....and we were laughing. Mayfield might be a bit shorter than we'd like...

You said the exact same thing about Johnny.  I know... I remember quoting that post.

"IT" is a complete abstract that nobody has any idea what it means or how to quantify it... because "IT" doesn't exist.  

7 hours ago, BaconHound said:

I’ll take it one step further.  I don’t think Darnold, Allen, Rosen or Mayfield have shown on the field last year that they deserve to be the number 1 pick.  They all have glaring flaws.  The Cleveland Browns selected a QB to appease fans and because Sashi & Co, along with NFL pundits, sold this year as the year of the QB I’m 2016.

At this point Tyrod Taylor is the best QB on this roster and may very well be so in week 8.  The problem is this team is going to stink again so everyone will be clamoring for Mayfield when we are 2-6.

I would’ve drafted Barkley #1 and whomever was left out of the 4 at 4.

Now they’ve got their QB and even the rosiest of sunshine pumpers will have to be negative when he stinks up the joint.

I'm willing to give Baker some time, instead of writing him off before he ever plays a down. Those "glaring flaws" you mention come out today because the top QB prospects get over analyzed and over critiqued to death by the fans, and NFL teams take it one step further. They asked Dorsey, how deep did you investigate Baker? Answer: We knew what he was ordering off the food truck. No prospect is perfect- Not even the guys around here who think Saquon can damn near walk on water. The Barkley pumpers will be singing a different tune should he get his knee blown out when it's at a crazy angle doing his Zumba Dance to avoid getting hit. SB's yac are pretty pedestrian. 

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Well, most guys are at least resigned to he's our guy now, let's try and be positive until proven otherwise- and that should take more than a game or two, but there's a lot of impatience in this fan base for instant results. That's the low hanging fruit Barkley offered. I've posted around a dozen times RBs even HOF ones, aren't the players who take teams to the Super Bowl on a regular basis- quarterbacks do. 

Don't put everyone in the same boat. You can go back and look at my posts. Hated the "It's a sin if we draft Quinn", Geriatric We-Done, Johnny Party Boy, Screamed F**k a few times when Kizer got called last year. Last time I've been wrong was Couch.  

I was seriously on the Wentz wagon. FWIW, I happen to like the Mayfield pick. Time will tell if I'm right. 

16 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm just trying to imagine him at the Browns stadium in November with gusting winds and temperatures under 40 being successful. He's the anti-AFC North prototypical QB. 

And yes, I know, Brian Sipe did it a million years ago. 

Look at you. You are not the stereotypical woman but you make it work. You like the penis, and you HAVE a penis. Most would say yuck, but you have people like Cysco Clit who like that you always have vaseline with you. 

Look, man, don't be slapping the football out of Mayfield's hands before he even has a chance to throw it. You don't see me coming in here and slapping the penis out of your hand, do you?

2 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

Look at you. You are not the stereotypical woman but you make it work. You like the penis, and you HAVE a penis. Most would say yuck, but you have people like Cysco Clit who like that you always have vaseline with you. 

Look, man, don't be slapping the football out of Mayfield's hands before he even has a chance to throw it. You don't see me coming in here and slapping the penis out of your hand, do you?

Listen to ghoulies advice embrace the penisListen to ghoulies advice embrace the penis

21 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

The silver lining of all your family members passing away in the last year is that they are no longer burdened with you anymore. 

That must be comforting. 

17 hours ago, Tacosman said:

When did he became that sort of prospect?  (I know the actual answer)....my point is what really changed from the middle of his 34th and final season in college and the draft?

He didn't get taller. His arm didn't get stronger.  He didn't put together a ton of window or anticipation throws that stood out any more than those he made throughout his college career.  

I'm a huge college football fan and I've seen him play a million games going back to 2015(hell I even remember him from texas tech) and I just never saw #1 draft pick.   With darnold and rosen I definately saw that at times.  

The thing about mayfield is that he isn't a great athlete.  He's not a young russell wilson in terms of elusiveness or escapability.  And yes he is very close as a physical specimen to drew brees, but that can never be the standard to which others are measured.  Brees was a rare guy whose ball pace actually increased a significant amount from his first year in the nfl to when he broke out...are we counting on that with mayfield?  

My concern about mayfield isn't even primarily the height....it's just his arm in general doesn't do it for me as a #1 pick.  I don't see him driving balls like a #1 pick should be exxpected to.  

Who had the 2nd highest velocity at the combine? Let me clue you in that it was neither Darnold or Rosen. Allen clocked in at 62 mph. Baker Mayfield 60 mph. 

I don't get the mayfield is athletic talk.  He's not.  He's not even the athlete Manziel was.  When you watch baker against nfl DE's and LB's, you'll see how slow he is in game speed.

Slow and small is generally not a great combination in the nfl, even at qb.  

Im not concerned at all about the so called character issues.  And character issues had little to do with manziel's downfall....manziel just wasnt good enough.  

17 minutes ago, Tacosman said:

I don't get the mayfield is athletic talk.  He's not.  He's not even the athlete Manziel was.  When you watch baker against nfl DE's and LB's, you'll see how slow he is in game speed.

Slow and small is generally not a great combination in the nfl, even at qb.  

Im not concerned at all about the so called character issues.  And character issues had little to do with manziel's downfall....manziel just wasnt good enough.  

Then what do you call Brees?.. Slow and Small?

48 minutes ago, Tacosman said:

Ill also say this on Mayfield--- I won't hold him to the standard of a #1 overall pick.

I don't think thats his talent level.  So I'm going to expect something less.  

No one in this draft not a single person was number one overall caliber and I include Berkeley and that so and chips so we have to do what we have to doNo one in this draft not a single person was number one overall caliber and I include Berkeley and that so and chips so we have to do what we have to do

Archived