THE BROWNS BOARD

Mayfield is no Brees

Dr.Footwear

I went to Purdue and saw the majority of Brees’ games. Brees was a tennis player, which many believe helped with his footwork. Rosen was also a top tennis player. Mayfield is a clown who went against miserable B12 defenses and who won’t do anything in the NFL. Dumb pick. 

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dr.Footwear said:

I went to Purdue and saw the majority of Brees’ games. Brees was a tennis player, which many believe helped with his footwork. Rosen was also a top tennis player. Mayfield is a clown who went against miserable B12 defenses and who won’t do anything in the NFL. Dumb pick. 

Rosen is also an idiot. Proving my theory of why he made his comment that 9 other teams made a mistake before he was picked.

You don't have a crystal ball. Mayfield is accurate, has a lot of heart, and tremendous upside. True he's not Drew Brees, just like Dorsey said he's not Manziel. He's his own man....

2 minutes ago, Dr.Footwear said:

F u c k y o u 

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Drew Brees is no Baker Mayfield... :P

Noone is like Drew Brees. However, if you have ever seen Brees before a game in the huddle pumping up his guys, Baker will be the same way. Noone said he he like Drew Brees except for his size. Also, look up Brees stats the first3 or so years with the Chargers. Not great, he had to be in a sysytem that used him the best way they could. Give Baker a Shmucking chance.

In the end, if Baker Mayfield is able to come in here and lock down the QB spot, if he allows us to quit running in circles and chasing our own tail, if wins games and ultimately takes Cleveland to the promised land... his legacy will be legendary. Something far surpassing Drew Brees. JMHO. 

25 minutes ago, Dr.Footwear said:

Okay, so while you were at Purdue how many wieners went up.your butt?

Look Pepe', it' okay for ME to dis the picks....but your are a homo. we don't care where you went to school or gave head. Suckie suckie, suckie.

We didn't draft with the idea of finding Drew Brees. We got the est QB in the draft. He will build his own legacy. Fukc Brees. 

Just now, Ghoolie said:

Okay, so while you were at Purdue how many wieners went up.your butt?

Look Pepe', it' okay for ME to dis the picks....but your are a homo. we don't care where you went to school or gave head. Suckie suckie, suckie.

We didn't draft with the idea of finding Drew Brees. We got the est QB in the draft. He will build his own legacy. Fukc Brees. 

"We"?

The Steelers didn't draft a QB.

I find it humorous listening to people talking about football who have no idea about what they are talking about. I’ve been a football coach for 16 years and it doesn’t take a genus to win at football. You win up front. Offense line and defense line. Everything else is window dressing. Baker Mayfield is a product of a good offense line and a system. If the Browns give him that he has a chance to be great. He’s not good enough to win by himself. He’s not a going to be Tom Brady. You can be average behind a great offensive line and defense line and win. I’m not thrilled with a big 12 qb. But we will see.

1 hour ago, Dr.Footwear said:

Tennis sucks.

2 hours ago, stillmotion said:

Rosen is also an idiot. Proving my theory of why he made his comment that 9 other teams made a mistake before he was picked.

If Baker said the same, you'd love the chippiness...

When did he became that sort of prospect?  (I know the actual answer)....my point is what really changed from the middle of his 34th and final season in college and the draft?

He didn't get taller. His arm didn't get stronger.  He didn't put together a ton of window or anticipation throws that stood out any more than those he made throughout his college career.  

I'm a huge college football fan and I've seen him play a million games going back to 2015(hell I even remember him from texas tech) and I just never saw #1 draft pick.   With darnold and rosen I definately saw that at times.  

The thing about mayfield is that he isn't a great athlete.  He's not a young russell wilson in terms of elusiveness or escapability.  And yes he is very close as a physical specimen to drew brees, but that can never be the standard to which others are measured.  Brees was a rare guy whose ball pace actually increased a significant amount from his first year in the nfl to when he broke out...are we counting on that with mayfield?  

My concern about mayfield isn't even primarily the height....it's just his arm in general doesn't do it for me as a #1 pick.  I don't see him driving balls like a #1 pick should be exxpected to.  

I just always viewed a guy like Mayfield as a second round type talent at his best......#1 pick?  With rosen and darnold on the board?  Sheeesh.....

4 minutes ago, Tacosman said:

When did he became that sort of prospect?  (I know the actual answer)....my point is what really changed from the middle of his 34th and final season in college and the draft?

He didn't get taller. His arm didn't get stronger.  He didn't put together a ton of window or anticipation throws that stood out any more than those he made throughout his college career.  

I'm a huge college football fan and I've seen him play a million games going back to 2015(hell I even remember him from texas tech) and I just never saw #1 draft pick.   With darnold and rosen I definately saw that at times.  

The thing about mayfield is that he isn't a great athlete.  He's not a young russell wilson in terms of elusiveness or escapability.  And yes he is very close as a physical specimen to drew brees, but that can never be the standard to which others are measured.  Brees was a rare guy whose ball pace actually increased a significant amount from his first year in the nfl to when he broke out...are we counting on that with mayfield?  

My concern about mayfield isn't even primarily the height....it's just his arm in general doesn't do it for me as a #1 pick.  I don't see him driving balls like a #1 pick should be exxpected to.  

I just always viewed a guy like Mayfield as a second round type talent at his best......#1 pick?  With rosen and darnold on the board?  Sheeesh.....

I don't see Darnold or Rosen having significantly stronger arms than Baker. Only Allen does, and he can't hit the broadside of a barn with it...  

I'm just trying to imagine him at the Browns stadium in November with gusting winds and temperatures under 40 being successful. He's the anti-AFC North prototypical QB. 

And yes, I know, Brian Sipe did it a million years ago. 

The throws were there. Go watch the games. If anything, his arm was more than strong enough, and he wasn’t technically sound - threw with way too much arm and wrist. That tells you all you need to know. When he actually drives the ball, it’s still accurate, and velocity is above average. The fact he can complete passes at a high level from multiple release points is a huge bonus.

he also has a great grasp of “the plan” and knows how to find open players after his primary reads are gone.

throws at an elite level while moving.

Finally, he has what Bill Walsh called his single greatest and most significant QB trait: Spontaneous Genius. This is not a scramble and throw trait, but one the best skills a successful QBs possess. It’s also being able to maintain composure and execute positive plays when things don’t go according to plan; and also the ability to execute in high leverage spots—3rd down, red zone, fourth quarter.

People crowned Darnold in May 2017 and never looked back. (People are prideful). Darnold regressed. Mayfield rose. The browns decided Mayfield was the better pick.

Right or wrong... I believe what I wrote above is why.

3 hours ago, Richiswhere said:

How about we give it some time.  Hes not going to be starting anytime soon.

This is the Browns. He will be starting by week 4   

40 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

Regular season. And hopefully Hue is fired by then

So you're an optimist...

I remember the last off-season starter Hue named. ;)

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

I don't see Darnold or Rosen having significantly stronger arms than Baker. Only Allen does, and he can't hit the broadside of a barn with it...  

Other than a hail Mary pass, how often does any QB have to throw as hard as he can?

Mayfield's arm is strong enough.

Baker’s arm is elite by college standards. Above average for NFL. Rosen too. Darnolds looks weaker than both TBH. He didn’t throw in the measurement drill at combine. But you can do simple math to figure it out. I’ll do it eventually: Feet traveled/seconds = mph.

Did some earlier when some guy was arguing with me that Lamar Jackson has a stronger arm than Mayfield (lol).

Timed multiple 40-yard plus Lamar Jackson (48 mph avg) and Baker (58 mph avg) throws. It wasn’t even close. Can Jackson physically throw it faster? Probably, but he threw 49mph and combine because he knows he’ll lose accuracy, and Baker hit 60 and accurate at combine.

Allen’s arm is the gold standard. If he puts it together he’s going to be unreal. Happy the Browns don’t have to hang on a thread of that hope because of a couple mph difference in the two. Which is a safer/correct approach. GL Buffalo 

2 hours ago, Mike H said:

The throws were there. Go watch the games. If anything, his arm was more than strong enough, and he wasn’t technically sound - threw with way too much arm and wrist. That tells you all you need to know. When he actually drives the ball, it’s still accurate, and velocity is above average. The fact he can complete passes at a high level from multiple release points is a huge bonus.

he also has a great grasp of “the plan” and knows how to find open players after his primary reads are gone.

I did not see enough "reading" to be fully comfortable with where his head is, but he's been judged capable of learning this critical skill. It will determine the success of the pick.

Arm? Plenty good enough IMO. He has a lot of whip in his arm and he knows when to use touch vs. velocity.

Bottom line: he has a shot at being very good. Great? Depends on the head.

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm just trying to imagine him at the Browns stadium in November with gusting winds and temperatures under 40 being successful. He's the anti-AFC North prototypical QB. 

And yes, I know, Brian Sipe did it a million years ago. 

Actually Bryan did not except for one season and one brief post season.

2 minutes ago, Mike H said:

Timed multiple 40-yard plus Lamar Jackson (48 mph avg) and Baker (58 mph avg) throws. It wasn’t even close. Can Jackson physically throw it faster? Probably, but he threw 49mph and combine because he knows he’ll lose accuracy, and Baker hit 60 and accurate at combine.

40-yd+? Not really the throw you want to use for "velocity" is it? Too many combinations of velocity and arc...

Seems to me the 10 to 15-yd out would be the better choice.

9 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

40-yd+? Not really the throw you want to use for "velocity" is it? Too many combinations of velocity and arc...

Seems to me the 10 to 15-yd out would be the better choice.

True. We have their numbers for those throws from the combine (drill is intermediate out routes), was my thinking. I wanted to see what they had behind a ball they’re trying to drive down the field, with timing. And the result was pretty much the same. Like I said, I don’t doubt LamJax can physically throw a ball faster, but I don’t think he can do it as functionally.

Archived