THE BROWNS BOARD

Lamar Jackson to the Ravens

MLD Woody

3 minutes ago, SD_Tom said:

I think he's a step above any other qb like this.  He's on another level of speed and change of direction 

GRADE
95.0?
  • 4.41 SEC
    Top Performer
  • 39.0 INCH
    Top Performer
  • 120.0 INCH
BLUE STAR  =  TOP PERFORMER
  • 6'2"HEIGHT
  • 32 1/4"ARM LENGTH
  • 223LBS.WEIGHT
  • 9 1/2
  • 120 inch broad jump
  • 39 inch vertical

I admit, his combine stats were ridiculous.... 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:
GRADE
95.0?
  • 4.41 SEC
    Top Performer
  • 39.0 INCH
    Top Performer
  • 120.0 INCH
BLUE STAR  =  TOP PERFORMER
  • 6'2"HEIGHT
  • 32 1/4"ARM LENGTH
  • 223LBS.WEIGHT
  • 9 1/2
  • 120 inch broad jump
  • 39 inch vertical

I admit, his combine stats were ridiculous.... 

Wish he ran the 40. The clips on YouTube showing every single td in his career,  There's quite a few where you're just like "wow" 

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Is he unique though?  Or is it more of what the NFL has seen before save for the fact Lamar is paired with a curious run game design and the leagues best scoring defense...? 

Currently? Yes... no one the is running this Offense with this kind of triggerman to this extent.

Look at BLT's run production pre-Bye (Flacco) and post-Bye (Jackson)... https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rav/2018.htm

Not sure what you mean by "curious", but I think the above makes the case that BLT run game is due to Jackson.

45 minutes ago, SD_Tom said:

I think he's a step above any other qb like this.  He's on another level of speed and change of direction

Even Mike Vick in his ATL prime?

I'll grant you there aren't many with his combo, e.g., RG3 had the speed, but not the change, but Vick had both... until he didn't.

9 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

The combine stats I linked were RG3's...       I'll take my leave now.  

Oh no you di'n't.... 😮

42 minutes ago, SD_Tom said:

Wish he ran the 40. The clips on YouTube showing every single td in his career,  There's quite a few where you're just like "wow" 

He didn't run the 40 at the combine because "dammit, I'm a quarterback".  Some GMs wanted Jackson to do the WR drills. The Terrell Pryor route beckons if he can't cut it behind center. 

Checked DraftScout for LJ, RG3 and MVick results... none worked out fully at Combine or Pro Days... so no 3-cone or shuttle times to compare "agility".

However, all three had 40 times (Low/"Official"/High) hand times as follows:

LJ: 40 Low: 4.32  40 Time: 4.42   40 High: 4.52;  Height: 6-2   Weight: 216

RG: 40 Low: 4.23   40 Time: 4.33  40 High: 4.44;  Height: 6-2   Weight: 223

MV: 40 Low: 4.23   40 Time: 4.33  40 High: 4.44;  Height: 6-0   Weight: 210 

RG did run at the Combine and posted a typically slower electronic time with splits: 40 Yrd Dash: 4.41 20 Yrd Dash: 2.58 10 Yrd Dash: 1.53

29 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Currently? Yes... no one the is running this Offense with this kind of triggerman to this extent.

Look at BLT's run production pre-Bye (Flacco) and post-Bye (Jackson)... https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rav/2018.htm

Not sure what you mean by "curious", but I think the above makes the case that BLT run game is due to Jackson.

Even Mike Vick in his ATL prime?

I'll grant you there aren't many with his combo, e.g., RG3 had the speed, but not the change, but Vick had both... until he didn't.

Of course the run game is going to produce more with Jackson,  that was never in question.  Thanks to his legs and some great defense the Ravens have enjoyed a nice stretch of winning.  

How long that will last,  remains to be seen.    With Lamar on reads and designed rushes you have a 1on1 or +1 in most every situation.  Couple that with a coach wanting to keep his job and a renewed emphasis on the running game... Voila.  

Edit: my curious comment is to imply the width of option plays and the formations in which they're being run.  Blt seemingly asking their young QB to run into harms way quite often.   

11 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Of course the run game is going to produce more with Jackson,  that was never in question.  Thanks to his legs and some great defense the Ravens have enjoyed a nice stretch of winning.  

How long that will last,  remains to be seen.    With Lamar on reads and designed rushes you have a 1on1 or +1 in most every situation.  Couple that with a coach wanting to keep his job and a renewed emphasis on the running game... Voila.  

Edit: my curious comment is to imply the width of option plays and the formations in which they're being run.  Blt seemingly asking their young QB to run into harms way quite often.   

Got it...

Harbaugh does look to be using LJ like an HC worried about the short term... as in save my job today, please.

I think you missed my point on the run game. It was pure shite prior to the bye. Eyeballing the figures in the earlier link, but it looks to have gone from around 90 ypg pre to over 210 post. That's more than just adding LJ's running.... that's adding the threat of him running.

49 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Got it...

Harbaugh does look to be using LJ like an HC worried about the short term... as in save my job today, please.

I think you missed my point on the run game. It was pure shite prior to the bye. Eyeballing the figures in the earlier link, but it looks to have gone from around 90 ypg pre to over 210 post. That's more than just adding LJ's running.... that's adding the threat of him running.

I don't feel I missed your point.    But the option game between the 20's is going to get some serious yardage and now defenses have to account for the QB in this scheme where area's nobody was threatened by Flacco's legs.     If the run game didn't* get better then something would have to be seriously off.

Doing a little numbers/stat crunch and comparison between this Ravens team, the 2012 Skins and the 2011 Donkeys when Tea Biscuit took over.  Stayed tuned, kids.  

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Well coach Williams figured out how to slow him down second half of the game Havasu meaning the Chargers will pick up where he left off. Hopefully.

WSS

And hopefully Rivers won't have an off game. Two ints, no TDs sacked 4 times....  

Jackson is a wet dream, won’t last and makes a mess.  A qb in the nfl that can’t pass.  Hmmmm oh Tebow he was awesome oh and he won like 6 games.  Big dam deal.  He was a fourth round qb at best.  Thing is there offense is the easiest to stop.  Weather it be pride or stupidity the coordinaters in the league won’t run a 5-2 d to stop it and make him throw.  The bear d will cripple that team let’s hope the chargers are smarter than the browns were. 

4 hours ago, Babernakle said:

Jackson is a wet dream, won’t last and makes a mess.  A qb in the nfl that can’t pass.  Hmmmm oh Tebow he was awesome oh and he won like 6 games.  Big dam deal.  He was a fourth round qb at best.  Thing is there offense is the easiest to stop.  Weather it be pride or stupidity the coordinators in the league won’t run a 5-2 d to stop it and make him throw.  The bear d will cripple that team let’s hope the chargers are smarter than the browns were. 

Chargers figure out a way to keep the Ravens under 100 yards rushing, and they're toast. 

15 hours ago, Babernakle said:

Jackson is a wet dream, won’t last and makes a mess.  A qb in the nfl that can’t pass.  Hmmmm oh Tebow he was awesome oh and he won like 6 games.  Big dam deal.  He was a fourth round qb at best.  Thing is there offense is the easiest to stop.  Weather it be pride or stupidity the coordinaters in the league won’t run a 5-2 d to stop it and make him throw.  The bear d will cripple that team let’s hope the chargers are smarter than the browns were. 

Last NFL 5-2 I remember was when then WSH HC,  George Allen, sprung one on a team in a playoff game. Maybe the Bears????

AS for Jackson... the kid is not without arm talent so that's where the Tebow comparison goes off the rails.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Last NFL 5-2 I remember was when then WSH HC,  George Allen, sprung one on a team in a playoff game. Maybe the Bears????

AS for Jackson... the kid is not without arm talent so that's where the Tebow comparison goes off the rails.

Worth noting both have a terrible throwing motion that involves first dropping the elbow and almost windmill like windup.   Though at times LJ has a from the eye type sidearm.

3 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Worth noting both have a terrible throwing motion that involves first dropping the elbow and almost windmill like windup.   Though at times LJ has a from the eye type sidearm.

It was almost impressive how long Tebow had played QB with a throwing motion that looked like he was throwing with his wrong arm. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

It was almost impressive how long Tebow had played QB with a throwing motion that looked like he was throwing with his wrong arm. 

Brings to mind his last ditch effort working with a throwing guru...

Looked great until he saw live action and totally reverted.

19 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I’m not saying He can’t throw he’s just not good at it.  Not accurate, bad decision making, deep ball is a  prayer. 

On 1/5/2019 at 1:33 AM, hoorta said:

Chargers figure out a way to keep the Ravens under 100 yards rushing, and they're toast. 

I didn’t watch that chargers game so I don’t know.  But I do know that when Ohio state played VT who runs the 5-2 they destroyed the bucks who which that team was one of the most proficient at that style of offense.  And let’s be honest JT is not a good qb, like Jackson.  To be honest JT would probably be better with the ravens. Yet he is slower.  

1 hour ago, Babernakle said:

I didn’t watch that chargers game so I don’t know.  But I do know that when Ohio state played VT who runs the 5-2 they destroyed the bucks who which that team was one of the most proficient at that style of offense.  And let’s be honest JT is not a good qb, like Jackson.  To be honest JT would probably be better with the ravens. Yet he is slower.  

If you're talking about the 2014 game, I did a breakdown on another board of some of the fronts.   VaTech ran a lot of bear and double eagle that game to shut down the IZ run by Zeke.  

So your claim of running a pure 52 might not be accurate depending on how you view alignments.

edit:  VaTech tried the very same thing the year after and got steam rolled.   So........  

20 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Anyone remember the Head Coach that wanted to draft Tim Tebow in round 1?  It was Josh McDaniels, right before puberty, in his temporary coaching life without Tom Brady and Bill Belichick.  

How thankful are the Indy Colts that they ended up with Frank Reich?  

13 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Anyone remember the Head Coach that wanted to draft Tim Tebow in round 1?  It was Josh McDaniels, right before puberty, in his temporary coaching life without Tom Brady and Bill Belichick.  

How thankful are the Indy Colts that they ended up with Frank Reich?  

Tebow getting drafted as high as he did was possibly the biggest head-scratcher I've ever seen in the NFL Draft.

Well, that and one John "William" Manziel getting taken #22 overall. 😝

• Like 1

As I stated last week in our game against the Ravens... Lamar Jackson is a RB who is good at throwing the ball. They are a 1 trick pony and Chargers saw that trick 3 weeks ago and are owning them right now.

So long as they stay disciplined, which the Browns did not, they will shut them out.

BobPound!