THE BROWNS BOARD

Lamar Jackson to the Ravens

MLD Woody

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Were you around the year the Raiders won the Superbowl and they attempted to interview CB Lester Hayes? He was totally unintelligible. But a professor of speech therapy saw it, called him with a diagnosis of what he heard and offered to work with him. The next time there was a TV interview the following season he was a changed speaker. The 13 INTs, 2 Fum Rec. that season should have put the 5 time pro-bowler in he HOF. He' still waiting.

yeah, I just can't remember what year that was...

The guy is such a freak athlete. I'm sure he'll start making highlight reels soon enough. 

Seems like he's got his head on straight,  and he works hard.  Didn't really matter what team he went to because I knew he wasn't going to the Browns.  

I'd simply like to see him do well. He's one of the most exciting players I've ever seen. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

The guy is such a freak athlete. I'm sure he'll start making highlight reels soon enough. 

Seems like he's got his head on straight,  and he works hard.  Didn't really matter what team he went to because I knew he wasn't going to the Browns.  

I'd simply like to see him do well. He's one of the most exciting players I've ever seen. 

That's how I feel as well.  I was glad to see him leave college, as he tortured my Seminoles for far too long, but I was NOT happy to see him come to our division.  I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure we'll see him this season with his own small package of plays.  And when they get near the goal line, I fully expect he'll be in the game. 

6 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

That's how I feel as well.  I was glad to see him leave college, as he tortured my Seminoles for far too long, but I was NOT happy to see him come to our division.  I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure we'll see him this season with his own small package of plays.  And when they get near the goal line, I fully expect he'll be in the game. 

Sure sounds like he'll be starting soon enough. And yeah seeing him 2x a year might suck for a long time. 

People who think he can only run... He's just a scrambler,  can't hurt people passing it... etc... Will be sorely mistaken. 

23 minutes ago, SD_Tom said:

Sure sounds like he'll be starting soon enough. And yeah seeing him 2x a year might suck for a long time. 

People who think he can only run... He's just a scrambler,  can't hurt people passing it... etc... Will be sorely mistaken. 

Well hopefully those who think that will not be mistaken at all and the Ravens will suck for decades.

WSS

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

Reading College Defenses is nothing like reading NFL defenses.... They are almost 2 completely different animals...

• Upvote 1

On 5/22/2018 at 2:46 PM, SD_Tom said:

I saw Lamar Jackson play alot in college, and yes he is a great runner, yes, he is a great athlete, however, he isn't a great QB, I think the Ravens drafted him for ticket sales versus ability. After all the Ravens valued him so much they drafted Hayden Hurst just 7 picks ahead of him. So 32 teams basically didn't grade him that high. I watch him play, he has problems under pressure, he has accuracy issues I am glad the Ravens because he has bust written all over him. He could prove me wrong, but I doubt it.

1 hour ago, runyon27 said:

I saw Lamar Jackson play alot in college, and yes he is a great runner, yes, he is a great athlete, however, he isn't a great QB, I think the Ravens drafted him for ticket sales versus ability. After all the Ravens valued him so much they drafted Hayden Hurst just 7 picks ahead of him. So 32 teams basically didn't grade him that high. I watch him play, he has problems under pressure, he has accuracy issues I am glad the Ravens because he has bust written all over him. He could prove me wrong, but I doubt it.

The Ravens have zero problems selling tickets.

They drafted Jackson to be their eventual franchise QB. I don't think it was a wise move, but that's why they drafted him. 

On 5/22/2018 at 4:54 PM, nickers said:

Reading College Defenses is nothing like reading NFL defenses.... They are almost 2 completely different animals...

For the most part true.  Can the college guys learn how to play the professional quarterback  game and everything else that goes with it or not regardless of where they are drafted.

Also why NCAA statistics and accolades are no guarantee of future success on Sundays. 

9 hours ago, mjp28 said:

For the most part true.  Can the college guys learn how to play the professional quarterback  game and everything else that goes with it or not regardless of where they are drafted.

Also why NCAA statistics and accolades are no guarantee of future success on Sundays. 

Nothing is. So what? Throwing the dice doesn't guarantee you will roll at 7, but the odds are slightly better.

WSS

11 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Nothing is. So what? Throwing the dice doesn't guarantee you will roll at 7, but the odds are slightly better.

WSS

Now that is generally  true, if you have a high pick and like a quarterback....and need one, I guess you go for a top pick.

This year Mayfield wasn't most people's top quarterback or #1 pick but I don't think it was a blue ribbon class.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Baltimore Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson has been lining up at other positions during team ...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23771497/baltimore-ravens-quarterback-lamar-jackson-lining-other-positions-team-practices

Shared from my Google feed

I was listening to "Movin' the Chains" guys on NFL Radio and they talked about the fact that when you have an athlete that good you want to use him in special situations to create headaches for DC's. They did not think this meant he would not be primarily a QB.

• 6 months later...
On 5/15/2018 at 4:59 PM, Louisville Slugger said:

This is a tricky one. Let's try and keep it to this year.

If he doesn't play it's a push.

If he gets 2 out of 4 on the following list I win.

Lamar will be one of the top 3 passers in this rookie class. (Adjusted for playing time)

He will win atleast half of the games he starts.

He will complete atleast 60% of his passes with a 2:1 td/int ratio.

He will take the ravens to the playoffs.

Outside of the completion percentage I nailed this. I was nervous about these predictions because I was pretty much the only one on team Jackson. I'm not so crazy after all huh?

Just now, Louisville Slugger said:

Outside of the completion percentage I nailed this. I was nervous about these predictions because I was pretty much the only one on team Jackson. I'm not so crazy after all huh?

Well done.    Now,  O/U on how long his playing career lasts.    I'll set it at 2 years.   

I guess I didn't anticipate the Ravens dumbing down the offense in favor of short term gains.  But Harbaugh saved his job. 

4 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Well done.    Now,  O/U on how long his playing career lasts.    I'll set it at 2 years.   

I guess I didn't anticipate the Ravens dumbing down the offense in favor of short term gains.  But Harbaugh saved his job. 

I explained that's why I loved that fit. If he went to any other team I wouldnt have been that high on him but he had Greg Roman on his side. Hes made careers for Kapernick, Tyrod, and salvaged Alex Smith. I think if schottenheimer wansnt there I think Greg Roman would have done an even better job with him

4 minutes ago, Louisville Slugger said:

He's a very good halfback, and throws the ball at least as good as Jarvis Landry. 

Jackson has avoided taking a kill shot- so far. :)

1 minute ago, Louisville Slugger said:

I explained that's why I loved that fit. If he went to any other team I wouldnt have been that high on him but he had Greg Roman on his side. Hes made careers for Kapernick, Tyrod, and salvaged Alex Smith. I think if schottenheimer wansnt there I think Greg Roman would have done an even better job with him

"Careers" Is hardly the word for the first two.   They're backups that require cutting down your offense in ways that make it ineffective (at best)  at times. 

Smith's time in KC showed he didn't rescue shit.  Just brought ball control and identity to the Niners at that point.  

You're still essentially making the connection you wanted Lamar and Roman here because you wanted to emulate Kaep.   As the NFL showed,  it'll catch up to you while costing you your QB.  

I'll be back to bump your thread when Lamar starts missing open passes from the added punishment,  has rush lanes closed on him and in general has issues being red zone effective.   

Pray the Ravens don't play NE in Foxboro.. 

6 minutes ago, hoorta said:

He's a very good halfback, and throws the ball at least as good as Jarvis Landry. 

Jackson has avoided taking a kill shot- so far. :)

I've never seen him take a huge shot, hes like a greased pig. I dont think he is going to play more than 8 years but he will be a headache for us for the better part of a decade

10 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

"Careers" Is hardly the word for the first two.   They're backups that require cutting down your offense in ways that make it ineffective (at best)  at times. 

Smith's time in KC showed he didn't rescue shit.  Just brought ball control and identity to the Niners at that point.  

You're still essentially making the connection you wanted Lamar and Roman here because you wanted to emulate Kaep.   As the NFL showed,  it'll catch up to you while costing you your QB.  

I'll be back to bump your thread when Lamar starts missing open passes from the added punishment,  has rush lanes closed on him and in general has issues being red zone effective.   

Pray the Ravens don't play NE in Foxboro.. 

I openly admitted that I wanted Greg Roman's gimmick offense. We were coming from no offense and I know that his offense doesn't require an elite QB. I was attacking this offseason by trying to change the culture. I liked Baker and had him as our best option, but I didn't see a rookie QB turning around the browns

1 hour ago, Louisville Slugger said:

I've never seen him take a huge shot, hes like a greased pig. I dont think he is going to play more than 8 years but he will be a headache for us for the better part of a decade

Not if he doesn't improve his passing. "There are no old running quarterbacks in the NFL". 

Didn't say he wasn't a good (make that great) runner. More on that later. Looking at his passing stats- he's remarkably similar to- gasp! Jeff Driskel!!!  Yards, td\int & ratio, QBR.  

For kicks and giggles, I took his 695 yards rushing in seven games (that's already 27th in the NFL)  and projected it out to a 16 game season.  = 1588 yards.  More than Elliot, Barkley and Gurley put up in 2018. Just sayin' that's a recipe for an injury waiting to happen. I'll side with tia, and say the over\under on an major injury is 32 games, and I'll take the under. 

2 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

I agree he has alot of work to do as a passer and he can't run this much every year, but he has only used a playbook for 4 years now. There is no reason to think in a year or 2 he can't run that offense as well kapernick did and he was completing 70% of his passes.

2013 SF 16 16 243 416 58.4 3,197 7.7 21 8 91.6 92 524 5.7 4 39 231 6 4 12–4
2014 SF 16 16 289 478 60.5 3,369 7.0 19 10 86.4 104 639 6.1 1 52 344 8 5 8–8
2015 SF 9 8 144 244 59.0 1,615 6.6 6 5 78.5 45 256 5.7 1 28 166 5 1 2–6
2016 SF 12 11 196 331 59.2 2,241 6.8 16 4 90.7 69 468 6.8 2 36 207 9 3 1–10

Kaep, even in his best season - never came close to a 70% completion rate.

Jackson played in a solid offense at Louisville.  This has been discussed before.  Your don't rack up 2 seasons of great #s against solid teams by being lucky.  He out gained Vicks total VT career stats in one season.  

Ravens are a problem for many.  Deal with it.  He's almost impossible to defend.  He's still green,  and he'll get much better.  Upside is like watson.  Just needs to keep focused. If not for some mahomes magic,  he'd be undefeated as a starter

I don't think he's missed any games yet. Vick told him to put about 20 lbs on... And he did.  He was running less and less at Louisville each year too. Doesn't get hit that hard in any game I've seen,  but he pops up like he's made of rubber when it happens

Vick told him to put about 20 lbs in the off season and he did.  He's a freak level athlete back there.  There is no qb like him

8 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

I don't think he's missed any games yet. Vick told him to put about 20 lbs on... And he did. 

I knew he looked bigger.

Still, sooner or later, at this level some 235# LB is going to hit him from the side he's not looking.

EDIT: And kudos to Slugger for the call... right now he's unique in the league and tough to defend against.

54 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I knew he looked bigger.

Still, sooner or later, at this level some 235# LB is going to hit him from the side he's not looking.

EDIT: And kudos to Slugger for the call... right now he's unique in the league and tough to defend against.

Is he unique though?  Or is it more of what the NFL has seen before save for the fact Lamar is paired with a curious run game design and the leagues best scoring defense...? 

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Is he unique though?  Or is it more of what the NFL has seen before save for the fact Lamar is paired with a curious run game design and the leagues best scoring defense...? 

I think he's a step above any other qb like this.  He's on another level of speed and change of direction