THE BROWNS BOARD

Denzel Ward

LondonBrown

that's because Gilbert didn't love the game, seemed to not care, and seemed to be not very smart. He was the wrong cb to have ever drafted. Hanford Dixon played at an elite level right up to 1988, his last year was 1989. He was drafted in 1981, first round.

He was All-pro in 87 and 88. Went to the pro bowl 86-88.

Then there was also Frank Minnifield. Graduated in 82, played in the USFL, and went to the NFL and the Browns in 84. All 5'9", 180 lbs of him.

Gilbert had no heart, no work ethic, and not much smarts. All the talent, but didn't care.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ward will see far better QB play than here but here's some of his work on tall WR's..  https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/5/4/17318096/observations-from-denzel-wards-game-against-indiana   Day 1 in the books at rookie Mini Camp of 3 day Camp  https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/5/4/17321860/notes-from-day-1-of-browns-rookie-minicamp   

14 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Gilbert had no heart, no work ethic, and not much smarts. All the talent, but didn't care.

I'm not really sure what it was cal. Just seemed to have a lot of mental issues impeding the player who was considered the best DB in the country. Something went haywire between that level of play and what we saw in Cleveland and then on out of the NFL. It's just too big a change to write off as no heart, work ethic and/or intelligence when you have to have that to get to that level in the first place. My question would be did the Browns send him in for a thorough mental health evaluation? The clues were overwhelming that he certainly needed one. Surely any NFL team has access to that kind of expertise.

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

Ward will see far better QB play than here but here's some of his work on tall WR's..  https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/5/4/17318096/observations-from-denzel-wards-game-against-indiana   Day 1 in the books at rookie Mini Camp of 3 day Camp  https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/5/4/17321860/notes-from-day-1-of-browns-rookie-minicamp   

Interesting stuff I've noticed: Corbett was #73 in college, and has taken #63. They must have told him that they are retiring number 73 thanks to Joe Thomas, or he's not trying to bear such a number being a rookie. 

Desmond Harris might be in his way of making the roster as UDFA, and that's good news.

Like you've said getting better players at WR, QB and CB improves each of the other groups. Practice must be way different this year than last, when all those corps were awful thus not pushing each other up.

2 hours ago, Nero said:

Interesting stuff I've noticed: Corbett was #73 in college, and has taken #63.

Numbers in the 70's are for OTs... 60's for OGs... ;)

46 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Buried in that article I found this little jewel. Tour didn't you have him as a darkhorse at one time?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000931626/article/roundup-dolphins-claim-qb-bryce-petty-off-waivers

17 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Buried in that article I found this little jewel. Tour didn't you have him as a darkhorse at one time?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000931626/article/roundup-dolphins-claim-qb-bryce-petty-off-waivers

Yup... Bryce was my desperation darkhorse the year he came out. Did not jump out and demand the honor as others have, but was the best the candidates in that class.

17 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Yup... Bryce was my desperation darkhorse the year he came out. Did not jump out and demand the honor as others have, but was the best the candidates in that class.

This is totally the insomnia’s fault, but I read the comments. Seeing someone refer to Brock Osweiler as a “way competent” backup gave me a way-too large grin.

On 5/5/2018 at 8:55 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

I'm not really sure what it was cal. Just seemed to have a lot of mental issues impeding the player who was considered the best DB in the country. Something went haywire between that level of play and what we saw in Cleveland and then on out of the NFL. It's just too big a change to write off as no heart, work ethic and/or intelligence when you have to have that to get to that level in the first place. My question would be did the Browns send him in for a thorough mental health evaluation? The clues were overwhelming that he certainly needed one. Surely any NFL team has access to that kind of expertise.

He had the skill to out-athlete people in college. When he hit the NFL, and he couldn’t just simply be the better athlete anymore we saw that he wasn’t truly invested in being great. 

Its a shame when people shoot themselves in the foot like that. 

1 hour ago, RoyceRolls said:

He had the skill to out-athlete people in college. When he hit the NFL, and he couldn’t just simply be the better athlete anymore we saw that he wasn’t truly invested in being great. 

Its a shame when people shoot themselves in the foot like that. 

History is littered with stories like that... players who were so athletically gifted that they never had to learn how to play. Then, as the competition level rose thru the distillation process that is the NCAA and NFL, they found it was too late and/or too hard to learn... at least it was harder than what they were willing to bear.

Does seem like for every non-QB you hear this of, you hear it of a QB, which makes sense given that QB is the highest skilled position. Leaf, Manziel, Pryor all sring to mind, but I'm hard-pressed to think of another CB to add to the Gilbert list... maybe Clayborne?

11 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

History is littered with stories like that... players who were so athletically gifted that they never had to learn how to play. Then, as the competition level rose thru the distillation process that is the NCAA and NFL, they found it was too late and/or too hard to learn... at least it was harder than what they were willing to bear.

Does seem like for every non-QB you hear this of, you hear it of a QB, which makes sense given that QB is the highest skilled position. Leaf, Manziel, Pryor all sring to mind, but I'm hard-pressed to think of another CB to add to the Gilbert list... maybe Clayborne?

Dee Milliner

30 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Dee  Milliner.   Mossy Cade.

On May 7, 2018 at 11:47 AM, Tour2ma said:

Apple

On 4/26/2018 at 6:43 PM, bjh2130 said:

Again not a position that we needed we have Bitonio and zeitler. We aren't quite there yet where we can just pick best player available all the time we got the best corner in the draft and it was a position of need

“Not a position of need” and then take a Guard high in the 2nd. Browns FO is stupid as hell.

10 hours ago, BaconHound said:

Apple

This guy reminds me of a guy we drafted in the 5th round in 2011. a 5'10" 186 lbs. CB of Buster Skrine..What's kinda funny, is now I can watch Pat Shummer again with his arm crossed on sideline watching a overmatched Skrine'ish Apple get picked on once again..When Chud came to town in 2013 Buster seemed better coached at position and his improvement still has him playing in the league today..  

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

This guy reminds me of a guy we drafted in the 5th round in 2011. a 5'10" 186 lbs. CB of Buster Skrine..What's kinda funny, is now I can watch Pat Shummer again with his arm crossed on sideline watching a overmatched Skrine'ish Apple get picked on once again..When Chud came to town in 2013 Buster seemed better coached at position and his improvement still has him playing in the league today..  

I can tell you now Buster ain't no 5'10, not even in cleats.   

I checked in at 5'11 193lbs For my last physical. Skrine was easily 2 inches shorter in pads when I saw him live. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/5/2018 at 12:24 PM, Tour2ma said:

Numbers in the 70's are for OTs... 60's for OGs... ;)

They may well not hand out Joe's number for a few years out of respect. Might even retire it. IIRC, Ozzie's #82 was unofficially retired for a number of years.  

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

Hmmm. Looks like Dorsey knew what he was doing. I said earlier in this but I expect him to make a similar impact of our defense is Marshon Lattimore did to the Saints and it's looking pretty good right now

Myles Garrett had 2 sacks and Denzel Ward had 2 INTs; but some people were all asss hurt because we didn't draft THE Bradley Chubb blazing up ACC Football with 10 sacks as his personal best. Step aside Lawrence Taylor...

I don't care what anyone says - I'm proud of this defense for taking on a 13-3 team and  overcoming a 3rd quarter 21-7 deficit while causing 5 turnovers to knot the score and give us a chance to kick the game winning FG in OT at the end...

Totally agree, Flugs...

3 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

Hmmm. Looks like Dorsey knew what he was doing. I said earlier in this but I expect him to make a similar impact of our defense is Marshon Lattimore did to the Saints and it's looking pretty good right now

Yup... and as impressive as his two INTs were (especially the first one) the TD "he allowed" to Brown really impressed me. His position was perfect. Just got beat by a better throw and a really strong catch.

1 minute ago, Tour2ma said:

Totally agree, Flugs...

Yup... and as impressive as his two INTs were (especially the first one) the TD "he allowed" to Brown really impressed me. His position was perfect. Just got beat by a better throw and a really strong catch.

Yeah he a great position on that and even put his hand up in between Antonio Brown's hands the guy just made a great catch

He also made some nice sticks on some runs

The touchdown to Antonio Brown where Ward was right there and put his hands up and between the ball and brown, well Hue Jackson in his postgame press conference was faulting Denzel Ward for that blaming it on him. So one week you got Greg Williams calling him stupid the next you got your head coach criticizing blanket coverage in a game in which you had two interceptions.

Unbelievable. 

23 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

The touchdown to Antonio Brown where Ward was right there and put his hands up and between the ball and brown, well Hue Jackson in his postgame press conference was faulting Denzel Ward for that blaming it on him. So one week you got Greg Williams calling him stupid the next you got your head coach criticizing blanket coverage in a game in which you had two interceptions.

Unbelievable. 

..... Neither of those two things happened....

Williams didn't call Ward stupid. He said he did "stupid things" in reference to how he tackled.

I just read Hue's postgame. He was very complimentary of Ward. All he said was that he gave up a TD, but he kept fighting.

7 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

like we don't deal enough with this fake news at the "other" place...

Like I get everyone loves Denzel but I don't think he needs their help painting false narratives making him look like a victim.

The guy was a fantastic pick and he's gonna be a hell of a player. 

47 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

..... Neither of those two things happened....

Williams didn't call Ward stupid. He said he did "stupid things" in reference to how he tackled.

I just read Hue's postgame. He was very complimentary of Ward. All he said was that he gave up a TD, but he kept fighting.

"Stupid tackling got him hurt". I wasn't saying he was questioning his intelligence just that Gregg Williams called his play stupid. I'm glad you read his presser. I watched it. Maybe it wasn't a full transcript you read? Multiple people lashing out at hue on Twitter also for calling ward out the way he did also. 

And everyone loves Denzel? Read this thread and tell me how everyone loved when we picked him or the numerous other times he's been criticized. Like people calling him a bust just because hard knocks didn't pay him any attention.

His hand was right in there on the touchdown catch to (Steelers WR) Antonio Brown. He had a chance to get that ball out, but against a really good player, the guy made that play on him. He came back and kept fighting, kept competing. I think Denzel is made out of the right stuff. He keeps going even though he gave up that touchdown. He put his head down and said, ‘Come on, let’s go.’ He made plays there at the end so that is good to see, but we can’t let them in the end zone on the one.”

Archived