THE BROWNS BOARD

Denzel Ward

LondonBrown

52 minutes ago, Mike H said:

Seems like concerns weren’t limited to one team. Hurst is RD1 talent. 

Yup.... medically cleared by his Doc is one thing, but there are up to 32 more medical hurdles to clear.

Shame...

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Yup.... medically cleared by his Doc is one thing, but there are up to 32 more medical hurdles to clear.

Shame...

The Browns also had him come to Berea for the very purpose of evaluating him during a pre draft 30 visit. My scout friend doesn’t work for the Browns, but he says he doesn’t see how any team could draft him before Day 3 knowing what he knows. I liked him a ton. It’s really too bad. Hopefully a team takes a chance and he gets a shot like Grady Jarrett. He’s a heck of a player.

7 minutes ago, Mike H said:

The Browns also had him come to Berea for the very purpose of evaluating him during a pre draft 30 visit. My scout friend doesn’t work for the Browns, but he says he doesn’t see how any team could draft him before Day 3 knowing what he knows. I liked him a ton. It’s really too bad. Hopefully a team takes a chance and he gets a shot like Grady Jarrett. He’s a heck of a player.

Certainly will come a time where the risk/reward is in balance for teams with concerns, but did not DQ him.

First compensatory picks coming up...

50 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Certainly will come a time where the risk/reward is in balance for teams with concerns, but did not DQ him.

First compensatory picks coming up...

Don’t listen to anyone who says it’s not medical related. As much as it makes me cringe to say this, it’s “fake news”.

12 minutes ago, Mike H said:

Don’t listen to anyone who says it’s not medical related. As much as it makes me cringe to say this, it’s “fake news”.

I hadn't heard anything, but medical.

But then I really don't "do" Facebook or twitter... except via reddit for the latter.

9 hours ago, Mike H said:

Seems like concerns weren’t limited to one team. Hurst is RD1 talent. 

You did a really good job with that Mike.   I think I heard yesterday the domino effect only had about 1 team that didn't take this kid off their board.  They said he has the same condition/disease Hank Gathers had.  That's really tough news for a kid this close to his life-long dream. 

On 4/26/2018 at 9:13 PM, MLD Woody said:

Randall was going to FS regardless. Sheet, he's already there.

One of our first offseason moves was to allow Pep to play in position

If peppers doesn't play better period his position is going to be bench.

Regardless whether you are FS or SS in the nfl in 2018 it's a game of being good in space.  And peppers was absolutely atrocious at that last year.

16 minutes ago, Tacosman said:

If peppers doesn't play better period his position is going to be bench.

Regardless whether you are FS or SS in the nfl in 2018 it's a game of being good in space.  And peppers was absolutely atrocious at that last year.

Watch the last game or two where he was in the box. Played well. I wouldn't take a bad game against Hilton and extrapolate it across the year.

18 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Watch the last game or two where he was in the box. Played well. I wouldn't take a bad game against Hilton and extrapolate it across the year.

Hilton do you mean Paris or the hotel chainHilton do you mean Paris or the hotel chain

22 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

he played decent/ok in the final game(out of a 16 game season in which he was miserable) against a team that was practically conceding the game for the second year in a row(yet we somehow managed to lose for the second year in a row)....

you're too focused on this 'in the box'/playing the wrong safety position nonsense.  The bottom line is he is not good in space relative to nfl talent and thats a huge butt problem when you are his size and play safety.  

Football players make plays....weve seen enough tape of him at this point to know he's not a serviceable nfl starter

17 hours ago, Tacosman said:

he played decent/ok in the final game(out of a 16 game season in which he was miserable) against a team that was practically conceding the game for the second year in a row(yet we somehow managed to lose for the second year in a row)....

you're too focused on this 'in the box'/playing the wrong safety position nonsense.  The bottom line is he is not good in space relative to nfl talent and thats a huge butt problem when you are his size and play safety.  

Football players make plays....weve seen enough tape of him at this point to know he's not a serviceable nfl starter

Well....we will see this year when supposedly he will be playing a different position.   If he fails again....maybe we will know that he just sucks....but hopefully not.

8 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well....we will see this year when supposedly he will be playing a different position.   If he fails again....maybe we will know that he just sucks....but hopefully not.

In his more natural position and not some damn centerfielder who is so far back you can't even see him on TV. He is a SS all the way and Williams knew that enough to go get Randall and put him into his "real" position of FS. Both excellent moves for the team and the players. Notice that we did not draft any safeties? Wonder why Dorsey couldn't see Peppers as a bust but Taco can?:lol:

Teams could pass on the Browns every time they wanted to, unless they threw at McCourty. Taylor is depth, not a shut down cb. I believe Peppers was assigned to play way back to prevent

constant long throws and wr's who get big yac on most of the pitiful Browns defenders vs the pass.   If Taylor stays, he's a nickle back, and Ward and somebody else, FA, will be the true shutdown corners.

That is a gigantic improvement. You watch, Peppers won't be playing 30 yards back rope-a-dope anymore.  BTW, Simeon Thomas could? develop into a fine free safety. He's big, fast for a safety, who knows.

He could very well kick arse on special teams.

https://sports.yahoo.com/2018-draft-magnets-mayfield-browns-045315581.html?src=rss

• They got very little action on the No. 4 pick. Four teams called Dorsey with interest in moving up. None got serious. Only one team (I’d guess Arizona) offered a 2019 first-round pick as part of the package to move, which is surprising considering that two quarterbacks were still on the board when the fourth pick came up. The team willing to include its first-rounder next year said to Dorsey before the draft began: “I’m coming up for one player and one player only, and that’s Baker Mayfield.” As Dorsey said: “I knew all along it wasn’t going to happen.” So for those wondering why didn’t the Browns try to pillage some team by moving down a few spots, they never had the chance.

• Good nugget from Peter Schrager about the Patriots and Mayfield. On the NFL Network telecast, Schrager said the Patriots spent time Monday with Mayfield, which raised some eyebrows. Mike Reiss, in his Sunday column on ESPN, added the fact that it was offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels who visited Mayfield in his hometown of Austin on Monday. That would lend credence to the theory in some corners that if Mayfield dropped down to, say, six or seven in round one, New England might have been able to offer enough to move up from the 23rd pick in the round to tempt a team in trade.

• Sodium pentathol, and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, came up in the wake of the Denzel Ward pick. Truth serum. My question to Dorsey on Friday morning: “If we gave Gregg Williams sodium pentathol right now, who would he have said he wanted with the fourth pick—Denzel Ward or Bradley Chubb?” Dorsey pulled out his cell phone and rang Williams. I asked him the question. Williams: “Ward. The reason is our need for a press cover cornerback. Denzel probably plays that position as well as anyone I’ve seen in college football in some time. We probably play the most press of any team in the league. There’s another reason. I’ve got a video of 28 snaps of Myles Garrett pass-rushes last year where he gets within two steps or less of the quarterback when the ball comes out. Basically, we aren’t covering long enough to let him get to the quarterback. Myles and others—especially [defensive end] Emmanuel Ogbah—will get more chances because of Denzel.” Ogbah, Williams said, was a major reason why the Browns went Ward over Chubb. “Ogbah’s a rising star in this league,” Williams said. “He’s got a chance to be Chubb.” High praise.

-------------------

Dorsey knew for quite a while that he wanted Mayfield...and Williams knew he wanted Ward.  (I guess you've gotta cover the receivers at least a LITTLE BIT in order to get a sack)

Go Browns!

Like I said.....despite the belief that with the #1 and #4 pick in the draft that you go BPA....the Browns instead drafted for need....particularly with #4.

They did with #1 as well...its just, you know...a matter of picking which QB would be thought to be the best.

7 minutes ago, Orion said:

• Sodium pentathol, and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, came up in the wake of the Denzel Ward pick. Truth serum. My question to Dorsey on Friday morning: “If we gave Gregg Williams sodium pentathol right now, who would he have said he wanted with the fourth pick—Denzel Ward or Bradley Chubb?” Dorsey pulled out his cell phone and rang Williams. I asked him the question. Williams: “Ward. The reason is our need for a press cover cornerback. Denzel probably plays that position as well as anyone I’ve seen in college football in some time. We probably play the most press of any team in the league. There’s another reason. I’ve got a video of 28 snaps of Myles Garrett pass-rushes last year where he gets within two steps or less of the quarterback when the ball comes out. Basically, we aren’t covering long enough to let him get to the quarterback. Myles and others—especially [defensive end] Emmanuel Ogbah—will get more chances because of Denzel.” Ogbah, Williams said, was a major reason why the Browns went Ward over Chubb. “Ogbah’s a rising star in this league,” Williams said. “He’s got a chance to be Chubb.” High praise.

ABSOLUTELY ! Wasn't it against the Squealers, that the Browns had held them to a third and long, like 3rd (or 4th) and 19 or so,

and they went for it, got it, and were laughing afterwards? Surely the Browns were the worst team defensively...vs 3rd down conversions in giving them up vs the passing game.

11 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Like I said.....despite the belief that with the #1 and #4 pick in the draft that you go BPA....the Browns instead drafted for need.

I think it's a combination of both.

QB's are rated on a curve.  They are SOoo important to a football team that even a generational player at another position is not as valuable as a plain old 'good' QB....to a team that needs a QB.   And for Chubb & Ward....well, if you have a big need at CB, and already have Garrett (and Ogbah), and the two players are pretty close on your board then you really need to take the player that fills the big need.  Now if there were no CB's rated that highly then Chubb would be on our team right now.

Peppers will be in or close to the box. The 20 yards back role will be played by Randall in 2018.

Two shutdown corners on one team is rare. Most are wishing they had one... and now we just might.

Like Williams is quoted as saying -

"I’ve got a video of 28 snaps of Myles Garrett pass-rushes last year where he gets within two steps or less of the quarterback when the ball comes out. Basically, we aren’t covering long enough to let him get to the quarterback. Myles and others—especially [defensive end] Emmanuel Ogbah—will get more chances because of Denzel.” Ogbah, Williams said, was a major reason why the Browns went Ward over Chubb. “Ogbah’s a rising star in this league,” Williams said. “He’s got a chance to be Chubb.” High praise. "

The Browns already have the players in place to get a pass rush going. The secondary was a sieve - how many times have the Browns let backup qb's have a great game vs them?

As terrific as Chubb is at DE, he would not have had a dramatic effect on the Browns defense. Ward - oh, hell yeah - the decision is obvious.

Having a preference for one player over another when both are in the conversation at a given pick is not drafting "for need".

Mayfield and Ward were both in our top grouping... and with the possible exception of Brakley slipping between them... were the top two in that grouping.

14 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Josh McDaniels took T-biscuit and dismantled a damn good Denver offense because of his arrogance.

He might be a damn fine coordinator but an eye for talent he is not. 

Insufferable child - blocked.

1 hour ago, Orion said:

-

That says a lot ... Love it!

Zombo

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Peppers will be in or close to the box. The 20 yards back role will be played by Randall in 2018.

Two shutdown corners on one team is rare. Most are wishing they had one... and now we just might.

The most surprising moment for me last season is when during a game, they knocked at my door... It was Peppers asking for directions.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Having a preference for one player over another when both are in the conversation at a given pick is not drafting "for need".

Mayfield and Ward were both in our top grouping... and with the possible exception of Brakley slipping between them... were the top two in that grouping.

I don't know........IF  the Browns...or anyone had two prospects graded pretty much exactly the same, but that team had a dire need at the position that one played, but not at the position that the other played....and they drafted the guy at the position of greater need...then that is drafting for need, more or less.

No...you are not going to take a guy who grades out much lower than the other fellow....but when it seems to be a tie...or very, very close when it comes to the talent level....you do the thing that your team needs most.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

WSS posted all that elsewhere several hours ago. Welcome to the party.:lol:

Sorry......didn't see it.  Delete this thread then.

--------------------

I also thought it interesting that a team told Dorsey before the draft that they'd come up to pick #4 for Baker Mayfield and ONLY for Mayfield.  So Dorsey wasn't the only GM that had Baker as the top QB.

Archived