THE BROWNS BOARD

A Prudent Solution

The Gipper

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Rudolph goes in round one.  Are you a taker?

He's a big kid QB.  And QB's are rated on a curve.  He could go in round 1 I guess.

We have the #1 overall pick....in a draft where 4 QB's may go pretty high in round 1.   May I please have the best one in the draft for once?  Please? 

Teams have been jockeying around to get in position to draft one of the four.  Let's not try and outsmart the league again this year ok?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Orion said:

He's a big kid QB.  And QB's are rated on a curve.  He could go in round 1 I guess.

We have the #1 overall pick....in a draft where 4 QB's may go pretty high in round 1.   May I please have the best one in the draft for once?  Please? 

Teams have been jockeying around to get in position to draft one of the four.  Let's not try and outsmart the league again this year ok?

LOL, want to bet Gip at least three QBs get picked before Rudolph? 

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

That CBS still has Rudolph as their #1 qb is ludicrous. I've yet to see their rationale making Rudolph the #1 prospect, or did they just pull names out of a hat? Every other ranking I looked at has Mason around #5 or #6 as a qb prospect.  Saying there's no drop off in the  talent level 1-6 is crazy. 

EDIT: After meditating on this one, here you go Gipper- the CBS ranking is what's called a "contrarian" ranking. They think they'll get more clicks by being stupid instead of ranking the prospects the same as everyone else.  

Here's a prospect ranking that in my book that carries a lot more weight- Daniel Jeremiah's http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000919918/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2018-nfl-draft-20

Rudolph isn't even listed in his top 50 prospects.  BTW, DJ has Darnold as his #7 prospect- so projecting him at #4 is hardly a "reach", Considering every one ahead of him is a position player, not crazy at all to take Darnold at #1. 

Except that he is 3 to 4 inches taller than Mayfield. So what you call country and I simply call accurate Maybe what CBS saw was what I saw. He's very mediocre bunch of quarterbacks that are vastly overrated. In Rudolph fits in there with them and has produced every bit as much as any of them have except perhaps Mayfield

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Problem is they're really has no clue as to who is the best one. And my pin that Rudolph me in the long run long run prove to be the best is just as viable as any other opinionProblem is they're really has no clue as to who is the best one. And my pin that Rudolph me in the long run long run prove to be the best is just as viable as any other opinion

On 4/23/2018 at 10:26 PM, hoorta said:

Hello McFly I have said all along that the other QBs " rated higher"   than Rudolph will likely  get drafted before he will. My bet is that he'll be taken in round one. Are you in on that particular bet?

See....this bet, never accepted.

6 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Rudolph me in the long run long run prove to be the best is just as viable as any other opinion

In premise...but I'd prefer to have the one that Dorsey thinks is the best this time.  

I've wanted Rosen....but I don't like his number.  We used to have a guy that wore #14 that won some games for us.........

1 minute ago, Orion said:

In premise...but I'd prefer to have the one that Dorsey thinks is the best this time.  

I've wanted Rosen....but I don't like his number.  We used to have a guy that wore #14 that won some games for us.........

Sorry that number is retiredSorry that number is retired

33 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Problem is they're really has no clue as to who is the best one. And my pin that Rudolph me in the long run long run prove to be the best is just as viable as any other opinion. Problem is they're really has no clue as to who is the best one. And my opinion that Rudolph me in the long run long run prove to be the best is just as viable as any other opinion

So we keep going for lower rated (by the experts) qbs just like we have since Couch. 

For what it's worth, I never give CBSports draft material any credence at all, I probably rely on NFL.com the most because I listen then on Sirius during the day, but there are tons of good sites.

And, For what it's worth .... We're going QB #1.

Zombo

9 hours ago, hoorta said:

So we keep going for lower rated (by the experts) qbs just like we have since Couch. 

How about this:   do what the Apache/Iriquois did and take 2 QBs.    Get one with #1......get Chubb #4.   And with one of our 3 2d rounders take another

QB.?

Most of you focused on the  second clause of my "solution".......while ignoring the first....more important perhaps part of it:

What about the idea of picking both Chubb and Barkley with 1 and 4?  (without consideration to whom they may take later at QB). After all, most people put those 2 actually above the QBs....on a pure talent level.

3 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Clearly you haven't seen the bargain QB thread

Sure I did Woody. Of course, great QBs have been found lower in the draft or FA, like the grocery bagging Kurt Warner or Tony Romo. There are zillions of stats the lower you pick a player (not just a QB) the worse your odds he's going to be a stud. For every 6th round  Tom Brady, there's 20 Spergon Wynn's. :)

I did a little research, first round QBs since 2000. The hit rate is about 8\41 to get a great QB, then every thing in the middle, and around 14\41 busts. That's the reason top QB prospects get drafted high in the first round, and not the sixth. Way better odds. 

Take it easy on CBS guys... it's the first time they've ventured out with their own ranking in years.

12 hours ago, hoorta said:

You can safely go to at least 4, and probably to 5.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Most of you focused on the  second clause of my "solution".......while ignoring the first....more important perhaps part of it:

What about the idea of picking both Chubb and Barkley with 1 and 4?  (without consideration to whom they may take later at QB). After all, most people put those 2 actually above the QBs....on a pure talent level.

Just NO to Barkley. If he's still there in the second round (like Rudolph) ok. We may well take a developmental QB like Benkert in the 4th- 5th round.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

So....are you in on the bet? 

That 4 QBs will be taken before Rudolph? Done for $100!

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Just NO to Barkley. If he's still there in the second round (like Rudolph) ok. We may well take a developmental QB like Benkert in the 4th- 5th round.

You should probably start preparing yourself to hear- "With the first pick of the 2018 NFL Draft- The Cleveland Browns select... Saquon Barkley, Runningback from Penn State!"

It'll make it easier to swallow if you are at least open to the possibility... as it's pretty likely going to happen.

16 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

You should probably start preparing yourself to hear- "With the first pick of the 2018 NFL Draft- The Cleveland Browns select... Saquon Barkley, Runningback from Penn State!"

It'll make it easier to swallow if you are at least open to the possibility... as it's pretty likely going to happen.

Zero chance Po, ZERO chance. I'm so confident Barkley's not happening at #1 overall- no bet involved on your part-  I'll give you a pair of tickets to the home opener against the Steelers should it come to pass, so you can drool all over your hero's first NFL game in person. Not kidding. OTOH, if it's pretty likely LOL, you should have no problem putting up the $260 bucks the tickets are worth, but you've already chickened out on all the other bets that have been put out there.... 

And you had better be ready when we hear Darnold\ Mayfield with the first pick, and totally pass on Saquon. 

22 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Only You have such insane delusions.    You must be singing that to Barky:

9 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

By the way Larry, did you see my PM.

I did- give me some time to think about it, won't be able to do a "grand tour" though.  Regarding the hotel.  Research says the BBs got a group rate last year at the Holiday Inn- it's literally on the edge of the stadium parking lot. IIRC, it was in the $100 a night range. And for sure, I won't be flying Frontier. The boogers unilaterally changed the flight schedule, and I got screwed out of $300. From non stops- to stopovers in Denver. Pick one- leave @ 5AM Monday morning after the game, or stay overnight in Denver with a 6PM flight. Bite me. Try to get a live person to complain to? Lotsa luck there- I gave up after being on hold 45 minutes+, twice. (They eventually did give me a partial refund, which expired way before I could use it.) 

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

I did- give me some time to think about it, won't be able to do a "grand tour" though.  Regarding the hotel.  Research says the BBs got a group rate last year at the Holiday Inn- it's literally on the edge of the stadium parking lot. IIRC, it was in the $100 a night range. And for sure, I won't be flying Frontier. The boogers unilaterally changed the flight schedule, and I got screwed out of $300. From non stops- to stopovers in Denver. Pick one- leave @ 5AM Monday morning after the game, or stay overnight in Denver with a 6PM flight. Bite me. Try to get a live person to complain to? Lotsa luck there- I gave up after being on hold 45 minutes+, twice. (They eventually did give me a partial refund, which expired way before I could use it.) 

I had a bad flight with Frontier....not so sure their customer service was so bad. I did not have the issues you did.  Cant remember exactly where I was going.  Out west somewhere. 

And fair deal otherwise.  I just wanted to know if there was going to be a group going....even if it is  a small group...such that adding a couple or 3 days to my LOU. trip would be worth it by there being somewhat of a gathering. 

18 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I had a bad flight with Frontier....not so sure their customer service was so bad. I did not have the issues you did.  Cant remember exactly where I was going.  Out west somewhere. 

And fair deal otherwise.  I just wanted to know if there was going to be a group going....even if it is  a small group...such that adding a couple or 3 days to my LOU. trip would be worth it by there being somewhat of a gathering. 

I think Top Dawg may be going, and Tour will be trying to pry away from the relatives. He'll be at the game for sure.   

4 hours ago, PoeticG said:

The draft needs to get here STAT.

PoG is now bringing up Barkley and "swallowing". 

Archived