THE BROWNS BOARD

Barkley at #1 Overall

Orion

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

But defense wins Championships...  

Not seeing it much anymore H. Check the past playoff rounds.Butcher Bortles can hang 45 in the steel-less curtain.Brees just scored again eating the purple people eater. Nick Foles beats Brady that almost quit playing football all together. If we miss on this QB class? Goodell could start shoveling dirt in Otto Graham,England? We can't count on this defense unless it stays healthy.Defensive depth is the key.. But we got to score more TD's..Physically,if his injury checks out, Nick Chubb is closest to Barkley imo.(check both combine numbers)  

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a pack of "2nd-best" RBs in this draft... Michel... Chubb... Jones... Penny... Guice...

Plus there's a respectable Day 3, bargain bin to rummage thru.

Everyone has a favorite RB2. Everybody likes one.

If not as much as Barky, then for most they like one well enough to salve any wound resulting from missing out on the Saquan Sweepstakes.

https://victorybellrings.com/2018/04/25/penn-state-football-nfl-draft-preview-rb-saquon-barkley/

Penn State Football NFL Draft Preview: RB Saquon Barkley

Penn State football alum, Saquon Barkley, will be one of the first few players taken in the 2018 NFL Draft

After three successful seasons in Happy Valley, running back Saquon Barkley is headed for the next step of his career. In just a day’s time, Barkley will hear his name called in the first round of the NFL Draft. He was arguably the best running back in college football last season enters the draft as one of the most talented overall prospects.

Barkley didn’t have a lot of hype surrounding him entering college. Originally committed to Rutgers, Penn State head coach James Franklin was able to convince him to become a Nittany Lion.

Advertisement

Maggie's Story | Excedrin® Works
Maggie has always kept her migraines to herself. See what happens when she finally opens up about her condition to her employer.
Ad by Excedrin

In three seasons with the Nittany Lions Barkley rushed for 3,843 yards and 43 touchdowns. However, Barkley is much more than just a runner. He proved to be a dangerous receiver, both out of the backfield and lined up in the slot. He made 102 receptions for 1,195 yards and eight scores.

Aside from just running and catching, Barkley also proved to be a weapon on special teams. He acted as Penn State’s primary kick returner this pas year and racked up 426 yards on 15 returns. He also had two electrifying returns for touchdowns.

A late-season slump that saw him struggle to break free at times took him out of the running for the Heisman Trophy. However, he still garnered All-American Honors and won several awards, including the Paul Hornung Award.

When looking at Barkley, one has to look deeper than just the numbers he put up on the field. Barkley is an absolute beast in the weight room, setting numerous lifting records at Penn State. He tested very well at the NFL Combine in February and got to show off his speed by running a 4.4 40-yard dash.

HIs performance at the combine was described as “one for the ages” by CBS Sports.

That strong performance in front of NFL scouts, paired with his three-year body of work from college, make Barkley one of the best available players in the draft. He’s a lock to be taken in the top 10, likely the top-five, and could go as high as No. 1 or No. 2.

Several people have chimed in on just how good they think Barkley really is.

ESPN college football analyst Kirk Herbstreit recently remarked that Barkley is the best player in the 2018 NFL Draft. Fox Sports Analyst Jay Glazer called Barkley, “About as perfect of a prospect you can find.”

Barkley will be one of the prospects that will be attending the draft. Look for him to be walking across the stage shortly after the festivities begin.

I can't wait to see the reaction of all the people that have been taking Dorsey's comments as if he was talking about QB... the collective minds of the everyone will be blown. 

Barkley #1 and Baker Mayfield #4. If Mayfield goes to the JETS then they will look to Darnold. 

1 hour ago, PoeticG said:

I can't wait to see the reaction of all the people that have been taking Dorsey's comments as if he was talking about QB... the collective minds of the everyone will be blown. 

Barkley #1 and Baker Mayfield #4. If Mayfield goes to the JETS then they will look to Darnold. 

OK, fair enough.    

IF that happens....yes, you will see a reaction to the effect of:   OMFG!!!

But...you see, you may get that reaction anyway...even if they take him at 4

But what about YOUR reaction if the Browns go for QB #1.....and then PASS on Barkley if he is still there at #4?

Be honest....what do you think your reaction would be?  And don't cop out and tell us  that you don't have to answer because it would never happen....it very well could in fact happen.  And it is something you should prepare for.

I will be disappointed if the Browns fail to capitalize on one of the NFL's soon to be most dangerous weapon, Saquon Barkley- #1. 

I will lose all respect for our FO if Barkley is STILL available #4 and they pass on him for another player #4.

---------

My ideal situation would be Barkley #1 and Mayfield #4. If Barkley wasn't the truth my board would be a lot different. 

38 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

I will be disappointed if the Browns fail to capitalize on one of the NFL's soon to be most dangerous weapon, Saquon Barkley- #1. 

I will lose all respect for our FO if Barkley is STILL available #4 and they pass on him for another player #4.

---------

My ideal situation would be Barkley #1 and Mayfield #4. If Barkley wasn't the truth my board would be a lot different. 

I don't think they give a hoot about your respect.   They will do what they believe is in the best interests of the Browns.

And....if both Barkley and Chubb are there at #4...it is Chubb who is the choice, not otherwise.  Passing on Chubb if he is there would be the "respect losing" action.

But....I DO notice that both you and Glommie are of one mind:  take Barkley at 1...then the QB at 4.

How does it make you feel that the two of you are  in bed together.  (literally...figuratively?)

31 teams would ALL take this kid if they picked #1. The pick is obvious.....let's see what this jackoff Hue Jackson does.................. and make NO MISTAKE.............Jimmy's wife makes the calls. She likes Hue, she likes black causes................. she tells Jimmy what to do.......... she will pass Hue's picks on to her husband. #1? It is whatever Hue Jacson wants.

1 hour ago, PoeticG said:

I will lose all respect for our FO if Barkley is STILL available #4 and they pass on him for another player #4.---------

With thanks to Westside Steve. Read, this, read again, and again until it sinks into your thick skull. Barkley will not be a savior to the Browns. As the article bluntly points out, there's very little difference in YPC regardless of where a RB was drafted. Also, since 2002 the running back for the winning SB team 10 out of 16 years was drafted (or not at all) in the 4th round or lower. I'll say it again- the GOAT Jim Brown won exactly one Championship- and I can tell you from having seen Jim live a bunch of times- Saquon couldn't hold his jockstrap.  Brown was a man among boys. You may think Barkley's the ticket to the Promised Land- but guaranteed John Dorsey doesn't think so. In fact- I'm betting on it- to the tune of $260. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/heres-why-drafting-saquon-barkley-could-be-a-mistake/

That article assumes that Barkley will have to be the "savior" and carry the team by himself. That's what happened to Adrian Peterson and other backs drafted early to talent starved teams...

Cleveland is different from those other teams.

Firstly, Saquon doesn't need to be a savoir, he's just gotta be Saquon. We have Gordon and Landry and Njoku and Taylor around him. It creates a very difficult situation for the defenses that we'll face. 

Secondly, as mentioned. The FO sees Tyrod Taylor as their guy, what would make their guy even better? A #1 overall QB or the #1 RB prospect in the last 20 years?

You guys are not thinking clearly. Thank goodness it's almost time to draft for real...

22 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

You think Kevin Hogan is a franchise QB. 

I don't think anyone is worried about your opinion of their thought process. 

I said Kevin Hogan could have been. Last year was the year to get a chance to see that. But, you wanted to see Kizer over and over and over. That was the chance to see what he could have been, now both are off the team and Tyrod Taylor is our guy for the foreseeable future. 

I got to watch an entire year of shitty QB play from Kizer and now to reward that- I want a legit, clear #1 overall player, mostly safe from being a bust(barring injury). I want the sure fire difference maker. Hyde and Duke are fine complementary players but nobody would compare them to being a playmaker on Antonio Browns' level. 

The Browns really need to try and not overcomplicate this draft. Take Saquon Barkley and don't look back. We'll be right back on the clock two picks later and it's there that we can invest a high pick on the QBOTF. Taylor and the rookie QB will benefit greatly from having a player like Barkley to lean on. 

4 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

The Browns really need to try and not overcomplicate this draft. Take Saquon Barkley and don't look back. We'll be right back on the clock two picks later and it's there that we can invest a high pick on the QBOTF. Taylor and the rookie QB will benefit greatly from having a player like Barkley to lean on. 

But it isn't going to happen.

But hey, maybe he'll still be on the board at #4... then who knows.

If there is a god, the Browns will pass on Barkley again. If this happens, just know that a guy on the other side of Stark County from you is laughing at your expense. 

Garrett touches on a few of the things that I've been saying. 

We need an offensive weapon.

-And to go back and watch Ogbah and Garrett together out there. Ogbah is a beast and when they get to play together more it's going to be special. 

13 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

But it isn't going to happen.

But hey, maybe he'll still be on the board at #4... then who knows.

If there is a god, the Browns will pass on Barkley again. If this happens, just know that a guy on the other side of Stark County from you is laughing at your expense. 

There is a God and he's got my back. 

2 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Just shut up

You're about to be included in "Poet's Bitches".

Hey man, if this forum troll gig is your thing, go for it.

You wouldn't happen to be super liberal, would you? If you are, I really NEED you to start trolling, I mean posting, in the political board. Use your broken troll brain to entertain me.

I'm not trolling anything. 

I'm using sound logic in my assessment.

Tyrod Taylor is the "guy" and the Browns have said they are in WIN NOW mode.

Barkley is good enough to go #2 to the Giants, nobody blinks- even though their QB is in his late 30's. But you guys think the Browns HAVE to take a QB #1. How does that help us "win now"? 

49 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

you guys think the Browns HAVE to take a QB #1. How does that help us "win now"? 

It doesn't.  But that's just the way it is (usually).  The rookie QB has to sit and learn.  Especially now, since the college game is so different from the pro game....from a QB's perspective.  We played our rookie QB last year.  That should never have happened.  Except our stupid brain trust let McCown go.  He would've been a good fit for our young QB room...but NOOooo.  We had to have a rookie and a couple of 2nd year bums as our QB's.  The 2nd year bums were so bad that the rookie beat them out.  -  pathetic - 

The QB is far and away the most important player.  We are NOT picking a RB #1 and then let the 2 NY teams decide who we can have as our QB.  That's just plain dumb. 

10 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

31 teams would ALL take this kid if they picked #1. The pick is obvious.....let's see what this jackoff Hue Jackson does.................. and make NO MISTAKE.............Jimmy's wife makes the calls. She likes Hue, she likes black causes................. she tells Jimmy what to do.......... she will pass Hue's picks on to her husband. #1? It is whatever Hue Jacson wants.

Actually not- engage brain before typing. Steelers? Forget about them? Bell? Cowboys- Elliot, Rams- Gurley, and Jaguars- Fournette wouldn't be taking Barkley. You still trolling that Jackson $hit? ROTFL, now it's not Hue, it's Jimmy's wife making the calls, not the Homeless guy? Dorsey will tell Hue and Jimmy who the pick is. 

6 hours ago, PoeticG said:

I'm not trolling anything. 

I'm using sound logic in my assessment.

Tyrod Taylor is the "guy" and the Browns have said they are in WIN NOW mode.

Barkley is good enough to go #2 to the Giants, nobody blinks- even though their QB is in his late 30's. But you guys think the Browns HAVE to take a QB #1. How does that help us "win now"? 

Who said we're in a "win now mode"? You have to walk before you can run. Tyrod Taylor is a bridge QB Po- on the last year of his contract- go ahead and explain how exactly he's "the guy" past 2018. Winning 6-8 games this year is an admirable goal. That's exactly why no one blinks if Barkley goes to the Giants- because it's one last hurrah for Eli. 

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

The pick is obvious.....let's see what this jackoff Hue Jackson does

Hue found out who the team was picking yesterday afternoon....along with the coordinators. (quoting hoorta's post but it was the Ghoul that said it)

Archived