THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker Mayfield Thread

BobPOUND!

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, gumby73 said:

am not really sure, but seems like Colon wants to play the Howard Stern of Sports media;) but when this Baker thing does not* go wrong in the next few years Colon eats the biggest crow plate. I committed several years ago to stop watching pregame hype shows including former players opinions. NfL gameday TV starts at 1pm in my buckeye man cave. I like reading Browns Zone with Scott Petrak cus most his stuff is interviews quoting our players. Like listening to Drennan on browns opinions & never miss a RedZone Show with Jim Donovan or Andre Knots.Most shows are clickable from youtube. From the entrance presser of John Dorsey I've seen a large change in the Browns local media coverage including MKC..I could care less what the Big Media click monsters have to say to get ratings..We earned our way in the dumpster fire of media jokers. Now it took just 1 good guy hire to commit to waking a sleeping Giant Browns fan base.. stay tuned in locally, or dawgpound these media hacks with dawgbones comments in comment sections & Go Browns!!    

I’ve listened to a lot of Stern over the years. He’s educated and informed when he does interviews and commentary. Inflammatory? Sure but at least he can hold his own. 

Coward is just a loudmouth liar. Very different

10 hours ago, hoorta said:

I just don't get Cow-pie's venom toward Baker. He was wrong, he's still wrong, and progressively painting himself into a corner.  A real man will admit he's wrong, and move on. Cow-pie is a Jim Rome wannabe, with no class. 

It's Christmas- so saying I hope you get fired Colin would be most uncharitable.  :(  

I’ll say it for you and then some. I hope his slumlord ass becomes unemployed and his rental property burns. It’s worth millions in Ca. Here about a buck 2 ninety eight. Fuck him with Rudolph’s nose!

9 hours ago, hoorta said:

He was wrong, he's still wrong, and progressively painting himself into a corner. 

Sure he's wrong but That Colon-homo can't change his leopard spots now & he knows it..At Colon's last corner, He paints Baker at the Ravens in primetime. Quite a defense playing well in there own park with everything on the line. Remember that sooner Oklahoma OT Orlando Brown kid that took a day to run the 40 at combine? He's allowed zero sacks all season :o..One thing i enjoyed most with Baker in college & now in pro's..Baker will bring 45 other of his motivated guys into the Ratbirds house & find a way to Flush Art's Turds out of the playoffs..Book it & go browns!! (colts too) 

Williams talking about the Cincy win - the one point he made - when they cut down Baker and how the team went after them,

at 1:26.

and, his comments on the reverse jobbie play with Landry's pass at 6:17

3 hours ago, darren15 said:

Ever wondered why Michael Silva loves Hue so much ...they were seen getting it on at a bar

DvOCdMJXQAEllL-.jpg

That is a pretty gay photo.   Worse yet is that the motherfucker is wearing a Yankees shirt.....which proves that he is nothing but a fucking FRAK....seeing that he was born in LA, went to high school in LA, went to college in Calif.  and has never spent any of his life anywhere near NYC:

Hue Jackson
refer to caption
Jackson with the Browns in 2017
Cincinnati Bengals
Position: Special Assistant to the Head Coach
Personal information
Born: October 22, 1965 (age 53)
Los Angeles, California
Career information
High school: Susan Miller Dorsey
(Los Angeles, California)
College: Pacific
Undrafted: 1987
Career history
As coach:
  • Pacific (1987–1989)
    Graduate assistant, Wide receivers, Running backs & special teams coach
  • Cal State Fullerton (1990–1991)
    Running backs coach & special teams coach
  • London Monarchs (1991)
    Running backs coach
  • Arizona State (1992–1994)
    Running backs coach
  • Arizona State (1995)
    Quarterbacks coach
  • California (1996)
    Offensive coordinator & quarterbacks coach
  • USC (1997)
  • USC (1998–1999)
    Offensive coordinator & running backs coach
  • USC (2000)
  • Washington Redskins (2001–2002)
    Running backs coach
  • Washington Redskins (2003)
    Offensive coordinator
  • Cincinnati Bengals (2004–2006)
    Wide receivers coach
  • Atlanta Falcons (2007)
    Offensive coordinator
  • Baltimore Ravens (2008–2009)
    Quarterbacks coach
  • Oakland Raiders (2010)
    Offensive coordinator
  • Oakland Raiders (2011)
    Head coach
  • Cincinnati Bengals (2012)
    Secondary assistant & special teams coach
  • Cincinnati Bengals (2013)
    Running backs coach
  • Cincinnati Bengals (2014–2015)
    Offensive coordinator
  • Cleveland Browns (2016–2018)
    Head coach
  • Cincinnati Bengals (2018–present)
    Special Assistant to the Head Coach

A QB who played an entire season the way Baker Mayfield has played the last six games would be a strong MVP candidate. Mayfield last six games: 115.2 passer rating, .833 winning percentage. Patrick Mahomes (my MVP choice) full season: 114.0 passer rating, .733 winning percentage.

1 hour ago, Canton Dawg said:

Anyone care to guess how many games the Browns would have won if Baker was the starter in week 1?

I would think it’s safe to say the Browns would be in the playoffs.

Not with Hue, which might have been the net effect of playing and winning earlier.

On 4/26/2018 at 9:25 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

And if we take Mayfield it's better than 50% odds the Giants then take Darnold leaving Barkley for us. Tough choice then for our later round RB picker Dorsey.

Well in hindsight I think I leaned toward Rosen because everybody said he was the most NFL ready coming out of the draft. Of course like most people my second choice was an emotional one at the number one pick Baker Mayfield. I'm glad it worked out oh, glad I was wrong. Hopefully the durability flag on Denzel Ward doesn't play out to a doomsday situation. Bradley Chubb would look pretty good in orange right now.

WSS

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Well in hindsight I think I leaned toward Rosen because everybody said he was the most NFL ready coming out of the draft. Of course like most people my second choice was an emotional one at the number one pick Baker Mayfield. I'm glad it worked out oh, glad I was wrong. Hopefully the durability flag on Denzel Ward doesn't play out to a doomsday situation. Bradley Chubb would look pretty good in orange right now.

WSS

I was going Rosen's way until the concussion problems and switched to Darnold. He's starting to come around to be a pretty good QB in the long run, but Baker was truly a nice surprise for me. I'm glad we got him now in hindsight.🤗

43 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

So Baker’s comment to the worry worts is “I could care less”. Correct me if I’m wrong here, The NFL will fine players for actions deemed obscene and penalize for taunting. Did Baker get fined?

Someone should tell Baker that it's "I could NOT care less"... 🤣

30 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I was going Rosen's way until the concussion problems and switched to Darnold. He's starting to come around to be a pretty good QB in the long run, but Baker was truly a nice surprise for me. I'm glad we got him now in hindsight.🤗

That's almost exactly how I went. Had Rosen #1, but his injury history and the nagging doubts about his leadership abilities weighed on me, and Darnold jumped him towards the end of the draft season for me. (With the idea that Darnold should sit as long as possible, since I thought he should have gone back to USC). Baker was #3 for me, intriguing somewhat but honestly I didn't know what to think of him. Josh Allen was #148 on my wish list of QBs. 😁

1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

That's almost exactly how I went. Had Rosen #1, but his injury history and the nagging doubts about his leadership abilities weighed on me, and Darnold jumped him towards the end of the draft season for me. (With the idea that Darnold should sit as long as possible, since I thought he should have gone back to USC). Baker was #3 for me, intriguing somewhat but honestly I didn't know what to think of him. Josh Allen was #148 on my wish list of QBs. 😁

Josh Allen (Ky) is on my wish list this year though.👍

22 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Nope had Darnold (protypical size) and Mayfield (crazy accurate) 1A and 1B. Glad we went with Baker. Had concerns about Rosen's concussions and durability. Thought Allen was too inaccurate, and Jackson was another Black Tarkenton.

I went back and watched a lot of Baker Mayfield videos (I do this once or twice a month, hehe).  I especially love the Brian Baldinger breakdowns, but there are many other videos to watch as well.  Highlights on Youtube from the games, the “Every Baker Mayfield Throw/Run” videos, and whatever else.  After watching these, there are several things that stand out from a positive (mostly), and a few aspects to work on, as you’d expect. 

The most glaring aspect of Baker’s game that stands out when you first watch him is the rare accuracy he possesses, especially on short and intermediate ranges, and then throwing on the run, too.  The accuracy is made more noticeable due to the fact we watched so many Deshone Kizer games last year, and one of the many frustrations the team and fans faced was the glaring lack of accuracy.  I can recall 3 plays off the top of my head where Kizer missed Rashard Higgins on easy TD throws, virtually all of them variations of the “slant” route.  These 3 were either picked off or fell incomplete, and I bring these specific examples up because we know that everything is compressed in the red zone, and the margin of error is greatly reduced. 

Before the draft, I was screaming to draft Mayfield, and the primary reason was his accuracy.  Not only did Mayfield complete a high percentage of passes, when you watched the tape, you noticed the passes were typically delivered where the receiver could acquire extra yardage.  Not to keep hammering Kizer, but how many times last year would we have a receiver open, and Kizer would complete the pass, but the receiver had to dive low, or reach back, or completely stop in order to make the catch?  I don’t have the numbers, but I’m guessing we were dead last in YAC, or close to it.  After watching a full season of virtually no yards after catch, accuracy was number 1 on my list for a rookie QB. 

You want another example?  Do you guys remember last year how many times we tried to execute the “fade pass”?  Good grief, how many balls did Kizer throw into the stands?  To the other team?  We literally kept trying and trying it, but I don’t know if Kizer EVER got it right.  Enter Baker Mayfield.  Against Oakland, Baker tries a corner route to Landry for his first ever “fade” type route, and it was a perfect pass and a TD.  I didn’t love the playcall because we were at like the 1 yard line, and there’s no margin for error on that play.  Well, Baker threw a perfect pass and Landry tapped both feet in. 

Go back and watch the aforementioned videos on Baker, especially the “Every Baker Mayfield Throw/Run” videos on Youtube and pay attention to where the ball typically hits receivers.  His ability to hit receivers “chin level” with the ball is uncanny, and the ball is also whistling.  I don’t think ANYBODY thought his arm was as live as it is. 

In terms of the negatives, there really isn’t much.  Early on, Baker’s deep ball wasn’t as accurate as I’d like, and he missed Callaway for a few easy TDs.  However, that seems to be somewhat rectified, and Baker has really put some long balls RIGHT on the money.  That one to Landry in between 3 people was probably the best throw of the season (that or the Tyrod pass to Callaway in New Orleans.  That was a BOMB).  Furthermore, the uber bomb to Perriman was simply gross, and had Perriman not stumbled, he would’ve scored.  That toss was literally 60 yards in the air (almost I think). 

Another negative could be Baker’s ball security.  He’s very elusive and he wants to extend plays, which is amazing, but there have been a handful of times where he didn’t protect the ball.  Again, I’m kind of reaching here because, frankly, Baker has had one of the best rookie QB seasons in NFL history, but there are always things to work on.  In fact, Baker really should’ve fumbled against the Bengals Sunday when he ran for that 1st down on 3rd and 8.  It was an incredible run, but as Baker extended for the 1st, a Bengal player came from behind and chopped his arm.  That ball should’ve come out because Baker didn’t see him, but Baker quickly secured it and fell for the first down. 

The only other negative from a playing standpoint is Baker understanding the value of points before halftime.  As mentioned before, Baker has thrown 3 interceptions right before half, deep in the opposition’s territory.  Each time he had other receivers wide open, or had room to run.  It’s great to get the homerun, but sometimes all you need is the looping single to centerfield.  It’s one of the only mistakes I’ve seen him repeat. 

I’m sorry this has been so long, but I had fun writing it and watching the videos on Mayfield.  I could fill 2 more pages with ease on this kid, but I’ll save everyone the pain and suffering.  It’s an exciting time to be a Browns fan, and that’s the first time we could say that in forever.  I don’t want people to panic if Baker puts up a rather ugly game this weekend, as the Ravens’ defense made Phillip Rivers look less than human, and we know what he did to us.  While it’s true that we beat the Ratbirds already, we didn’t beat them with Lamar Jackson, and their defense is literally taking over games.  If you live around Cleveland, I suggest you find a way to get season tickets because we have the guy now.  We have the guy that our kids will be talking about when they’re our age.  It’s a new era in Cleveland, and it’s going to be a lot of fun. 

I was NO fan of Rosen as a pick. But seriously? Josh Allen plays heroic with his legs, but the lack of talent around him,

he isn't adapting to the pro game well. And he is still very inaccurate. Makes bad decisions.

With more talent, going on his second year, I hope he grows and has a good career.

I overrated him bigly.

Mayfield - questioned his maturity, self-discipline - lack of snaps under center.

Mayfield turns out to be the star of the draft, probable? Offensive rookie of the year...

Dorsey is brilliant. I did really like Chubb over Sony, and Barkley.

Just amazing how Mayfield adapted, and led this team to wins. Just brilliant.

27 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

I was NO fan of Rosen as a pick. But seriously? Josh Allen plays heroic with his legs, but the lack of talent around him,

he isn't adapting to the pro game well. And he is still very inaccurate. Makes bad decisions.

With more talent, going on his second year, I hope he grows and has a good career.

I overrated him bigly.

Mayfield - questioned his maturity, self-discipline - lack of snaps under center.

Mayfield turns out to be the star of the draft, probable? Offensive rookie of the year...

Dorsey is brilliant. I did really like Chubb over Sony, and Barkley.

Just amazing how Mayfield adapted, and led this team to wins. Just brilliant.

I've always said that the Browns turnaround wouldn't begin until they got a competent GM.

Looks like Dorsey is the man.

12 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

I've always said that the Browns turnaround wouldn't begin until they got a competent GM.

Looks like Dorsey is the man.

He duplicates 2019 with what he did in 2018, playoffs here we come.  :)  The signs of the turnaround started immediately when the first thing he did was send Kenny Britt packing...  

Archived