THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker Mayfield Thread

BobPOUND!

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baker locked that DOWN. Smart man, girl is super dope. On the football side of things, this is generally a positive step in a player's life. I don't see Baker going out and making a fool of himself. I see him as a matured, dedicated, and motivated player. 

Oh, and check out her Instagram page. My lord she's sweet. 

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

Baker locked that DOWN. Smart man, girl is super dope. On the football side of things, this is generally a positive step in a player's life. I don't see Baker going out and making a fool of himself. I see him as a matured, dedicated, and motivated player. 

Oh, and check out her Instagram page. My lord she's sweet. 

Now we know who we was talking to that day ... "See you after the game"!

39 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Nice work, Baker. Lock up the hottie that loved you when you were broke.

Next on his list: starting NFL QB.

You better bring it, Tyrod.

Zombo

Poor Roethlisberger had a starting QB position with a gigantic salary and bigger feet than Herman Munster; but the only people he had sex with before he turned 30 were 2 females that said "NO!" 

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

Nice work, Baker. 

Zombo

Todd Haley should award Baker with double the reps learning his playbook from this honeydew melon around..even I would check out of Haley's play call, shouting "Emily/Emily"!! 

16 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

That'll last about a year or two.

I don't know maybe they like each other and they will be happily ever after, eh?

emily-wilkinson-hot-photos2-1.png

On 7/1/2018 at 9:29 AM, Zombo said:

Now we know who we was talking to that day ... "See you after the game"!

I was just looking at more of her pics.  My sweet lord!!

On 7/1/2018 at 12:57 PM, mjp28 said:

I don't know maybe they like each other and they will be happily ever after, eh?

emily-wilkinson-hot-photos2-1.png

I mean....wow.  Just wow.  

14 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I think she looks better as a brunette:

I think you may be right there.

• 4 weeks later...

I watched that two part program yesterday about Baker and his having to overcome size, walk-ons at two universities, etc. I think we got us a real fighter here closer to the old school guys of the 40's & 50's. This kid will not be denied and will work his butt off for us as he has done from grade school through the Heisman.

I was very impressed by his determination to not be another JM.

Baker had himself a very good day at camp yesterday, and that alone is wonderful to hear.  I don't read TOO much into it, but it's still nice to hear.  Also, Mary Kay Cabot reported that he hasn't thrown a pick yet at camp.  THAT is very nice to read.  Also, Baker appears to be developing a very nice report with Higgins, who I earlier predicted as a dark horse receiver to open eyes.  I really think Kizer screwed him over big time, and Higgins is taking advantage of precision passes he's getting from the new QB's.

On 7/1/2018 at 9:26 AM, Zombo said:

Nice work, Baker. Lock up the hottie that loved you when you were broke.

You better bring it, Tyrod.

Zombo

If you watched the Baker video yesterday- I'd say he was never really "broke" from the family pics, probably upper middle class family- but certainly not oil rich like Johnny Football's Dad.  Baker certainly drew back the curtain on his private life a little bit. Could see why he spent Draft Day with the Family and not in Dallas. Guy has some real moxie, won't step down to anyone- and it explained why he left Texas Tech.  Plus- apologetic for making an butt out of himself when he ran from the cops. Seeing that- I'm surprised he didn't seriously mess up his head- looks like he cracked it pretty good on that concrete when the cops tackled him.  

30 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Baker had himself a very good day at camp yesterday, and that alone is wonderful to hear.  I don't read TOO much into it, but it's still nice to hear.  Also, Mary Kay Cabot reported that he hasn't thrown a pick yet at camp.  THAT is very nice to read.  Also, Baker appears to be developing a very nice report with Higgins, who I earlier predicted as a dark horse receiver to open eyes.  I really think Kizer screwed him over big time, and Higgins is taking advantage of precision passes he's getting from the new QB's.

LOL, the below is the reason I was all aboard the Baker train pre draft. Plenty athletic enough, and by the time you make it to the pros, you're either accurate- or you're not. Primary reason I wanted nothing to do with bazooka arm scattershot Josh Allen. There would have been serious pissin' and moanin' here if we had drafted the media darling everyone thought we were going to take.  https://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2018/07/watch_during_jets_sam_darnold_holdout_josh_mccown.html 

"Baker's deadly accurate with the ball,'' said Jackson. "So is Tyrod and so is Drew. I think our guys have  been throwing some pinpoint passes, so the receivers, all you've got to do is be in the right spot at the right time, they'll put the ball in place where you get a chance to catch it. So that's been good.''

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I watched that two part program yesterday about Baker and his having to overcome size, walk-ons at two universities, etc. I think we got us a real fighter here closer to the old school guys of the 40's & 50's. This kid will not be denied and will work his butt off for us as he has done from grade school through the Heisman.

I was very impressed by his determination to not be another JM.

A Bobby Layne type?  Without the booze?

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

A Bobby Layne type?  Without the booze?

He's a tough guy no doubt and not afraid of anyone. As a walkon the starting QB tried to make him go get towels when it started to rain and he told him where he could put it and when the position coach tried to make him comply with the QBs order, he told him as well. Kid's got some starch.

16 hours ago, hoorta said:

LOL, the below is the reason I was all aboard the Baker train pre draft. Plenty athletic enough, and by the time you make it to the pros, you're either accurate- or you're not. Primary reason I wanted nothing to do with bazooka arm scattershot Josh Allen. There would have been serious pissin' and moanin' here if we had drafted the media darling everyone thought we were going to take.  https://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2018/07/watch_during_jets_sam_darnold_holdout_josh_mccown.html 

"Baker's deadly accurate with the ball,'' said Jackson. "So is Tyrod and so is Drew. I think our guys have  been throwing some pinpoint passes, so the receivers, all you've got to do is be in the right spot at the right time, they'll put the ball in place where you get a chance to catch it. So that's been good.''

You nailed it, and it's the primary reason why I predicted Higgins would be better than we've seen. When the ball came to Higgins, and was catchable, he was extremely reliable. That long TD catch at the end of the year was obviously his career highlight, but the importance of that big play can't be understated. Lack of big plays basically crushed us all year. We simply didn't HAVE that many, but after that huge play, we were in the game. They obviously provide points, but just as importantly, they give a huge boost to the momentum swing. Let's face it, none of us thought Higgins had that speed, right? Lol! I hope he stays healthy, and I expect him to be a sort of "3rd down weapon" for us. He'll likely garner the 3rd DB, and he might just win that match up. 

There are some of us who have been on the "Baker Train" for a long time.  Higgins and (sadly) Jordan Payton were 2 WR I liked pre-draft in 2016. Higgins was one of those WR who needed a positive veteran presence (Landry, my Browns MVP) in the room & on field along with QBs who could get the ball to him. Now he's showing what he can do & I'm lovin' it!

Mike

• 4 months later...
On 7/30/2018 at 1:57 PM, hoorta said:

LOL, the below is the reason I was all aboard the Baker train pre draft. Plenty athletic enough, and by the time you make it to the pros, you're either accurate- or you're not. Primary reason I wanted nothing to do with bazooka arm scattershot Josh Allen. There would have been serious pissin' and moanin' here if we had drafted the media darling everyone thought we were going to take.

I think...it was me that told you that Josh Allen would struggle in the pros.... I think, maybe....

(ROF,L !)

55 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

I think...it was me that told you that Josh Allen would struggle in the pros.... I think, maybe....

(ROF,L !)

Ya see Cal- they should have just hired me way back to have draft input. We wouldn't have drafted Quinn, We-done, and Johnny. EDIT: & how could I forget, especially Deshone Kizer. That one almost made me barf. And we would have drafted LaDanian Tomlinson. I was on the Wentz wagon, but I guess having to wait a couple years to get Baker, it's sort of a wash....   

1 hour ago, BobPOUND! said:

Just tooting my own horn.

I liked Baker before you. Nanananana.

Go Browns..

Hahaha, I’d probably do the same thing right now if I created this thread, I’m a little jealous haha 

This might be a draft class with more than 1 awesome QB. Rosen and Darnold(who is still 21 years old), and even Allen could turn into something with time.

But Mayfield is making you and BUDDY BOY look like a genius so far. I think most people wondered how he would transfer from the OU spread to facing NFL defenses.

It has become apparent that Baker has, as cliche as it gets the “it factor”

its also important to note and probably an unpopular opinion/fact? :

The Browns have the most talented roster of the Jets, Cardinals, and Bills. (Especially after firing Hue/Haley.)

11 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Hahaha, I’d probably do the same thing right now if I created this thread, I’m a little jealous haha 

This might be a draft class with more than 1 awesome QB. Rosen and Darnold(who is still 21 years old), and even Allen could turn into something with time.

But Mayfield is making you and BUDDY BOY look like a genius so far. I think most people wondered how he would transfer from the OU spread to facing NFL defenses.

It has become apparent that Baker has, as cliche as it gets the “it factor”

its also important to note and probably an unpopular opinion/fact? :

The Browns have the most talented roster of the Jets, Cardinals, and Bills. (Especially after firing Hue/Haley.)

Lord knows I’ve been wrong on a CRAP-TON of players, but I will definitely toot my horn with Baker.  I’m too lazy to look up when I was shouting for him, but I think it was in March of this year.  Not only that, I didn’t even feel like it was that CLOSE.  I loved hearing the quote from Gregg Williams this week when he said something like, “I knew Baker was going to throw it well in warm-ups because I HEARD him throwing before I SAW him throwing.  The ball was making a “ssssssssssssssst” sound as it cut through the air.”  That’s what I’m talking about!  Now, I’m kind of in the camp that feels arm strength is a bit overrated, but I think it’s fair to say that not many people truly knew just how strong his arm is, and that allows him to confidently access tight windows (and cut through Cleveland weather).  Perhaps more impressive is the fact that Baker doesn’t just throw the fast-ball.  He’s demonstrated throughout the season the ability to put touch on the ball, drop passes over LB’s, and now showing his deep passing skills. 

Baker also has what really can’t be taught, and that’s pocket presence.  A good example of this was the 51 yard bomb to Landry.  On the play, Greg Robinson initially gets beat a little by a terrific speed rush to the outside.  Instead of panicking, Baker simply drifts over to where the speed-rusher just WAS, and Robinson does a masterful job of planting the guy into the ground.  Also, Robinson shoved the guy JUST enough when he got close to Baker, and that little shove was enough to push the guy outside of Baker’s bubble, and then Greg finished him off.  I don’t think Greg Robinson will ever be a “great” tackle, as he panics too much and grabs.  Once you get the reputation for holding, the refs will be looking at you.  On several of Greg’s holds, the replay shows he didn’t HAVE to.  If he can stop panicking, he could be a mid-level LT for us, and we already know Baker likes him. 

The truly fascinating aspect of Baker’s game is obviously his accuracy.  I went back and watched all of his videos titled “Every Throw/Rush from Baker” on Youtube.  Each video is about 4 minutes long, and they show every play by Baker in the designated game.  It’s pretty cool actually, and I’m glad someone took the time to cut the video segments.  Anyways, what immediately stands out when you watch him throw is how the ball almost always gets to his target in a near perfect location.  It’s uncanny.  The ball isn’t low, it’s not behind, the receivers don’t have to jump, they’re not diving low…the ball is simply where it needs to be.  Now of course Baker isn’t PERFECT, and he’ll have some throws that are errant, but those are incredibly rare.  In fact, it’s SHOCKING just how rare those are when you watch the videos.  Baker is also adept at throwing while on the run, and look no further than the Breshad Perriman reception at the end of the game Sunday.  When you slow down that play and look at the tiny window he had to use, and then factor in he was running….crazy. 

What’s our offense missing?  Not much.  The truly frustrating thing is we’re basically missing a “Josh Gordon” type player.  I’m not trying to start a fight, and I’m not saying we were wrong to trade him, I’m just saying we could use a dangerous, big, and fast WR on the outside.  If we had someone that could strike fear into the back of the defense, that could open things up even more for Landry and company.  I like our TE’s, and I even like our WR’s for the most part.  The biggest problems I have with our team on the defensive side of the ball, and I think we’ll be addressing that in the very near future. 

14 hours ago, BobPOUND! said:

Just tooting my own horn.

I liked Baker before you. Nanananana.

Go Browns..

We also know Mayfield wouldn't have been available at 4.  We see why PFF called him their #1. 

As well, I'm happier with Mayfield/Chubb than Anyone/Barkley which is how it would have played out.

16 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

What’s our offense missing?  

Two competent OT's......

We do have that WR already.. Perriman was a first-rounder for a reason.  He didn't work out in BAL, but you saw all of the speed/size mismatch on display the first play of the game.  Yes it's always good to improve the WR group but we simply don't have a "glaring need" at WR any more.

Archived