THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker Mayfield Thread

BobPOUND!

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Cal officially likes Baker - kiss of death. 

(just kidding cal)

screaming-woman.jpg

3 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

From looking at that, it sounds like we have at least 4 slam dunk future Hall of Famer QBs from this draft. I'm sold for sure , aren't you?

Mike

48 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Rookie quarterback progress reports - first impressions for 13 QBs drafted in 2018

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23659740/rookie-quarterback-progress-reports-first-impressions-13-qbs-drafted-2018

I believe the immortal bard wrote a play with the most accurate title concerning all of this at this point in time, "Much Ado About Nothing".

And naturally enough it's a comedy.🏈🎃

Baker's got his work out cut for him.

Since 1999 we've been "graced" by the following:

Overall record of "top" QB's, sorted by wins

Tim Couch 22-37

Derek Anderson 16-18

Brian Hoyer 10-6

Most wins in Cleveland's "new" (post-1999) stadium

Ben Roethlisberger* 12

Derek Anderson 11

Tim Couch 8

Most touchdowns in Cleveland's "new" (post-1999) stadium

Tim Couch 25

Derek Anderson 23

Ben Roethlisberger* 18

* denotes player does/did not actually play for the Browns

Literally the only other situation I know of where a quarterback has dominated an opposing team in the last 2 decades in its own stadium so consistently is Tom Brady in Buffalo. He has 14 wins there (more than anyone but Drew Bledsoe who also has 14), but actually has thrown more touchdowns (38) in Buffalo than any actual Bills QB during that same era including Bledsoe.

The earliest any Browns QB could hope to get 12 wins in Cleveland is October 2019.

I really hope the Browns stick to the plan to slow-play Mayfield, and perhaps let him start at the end of the season if he's legitimately ready for it. If not, let him sit the entire season.

But this always sounds like a great idea to the Browns... in May, June, July... 🤣

12 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Report: Browns blown away by how teammates gravitating toward Baker Mayfield

Hee Hee 

Baby steps to QB2. Kid stays honest with himself and NFL ain't easy.. https://www.brownszone.com/2018/06/05/no-1-pick-baker-mayfield-moves-up-to-no-2-in-qb-rotation-during-otas/  Can we get off the kid,when the ball hits targets hands than is picked (2 of his 3 day 1)? Sounds like Devalve..has the Njoku hands of last years camp.

19 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Baby steps to QB2. Kid stays honest with himself and NFL ain't easy.. https://www.brownszone.com/2018/06/05/no-1-pick-baker-mayfield-moves-up-to-no-2-in-qb-rotation-during-otas/  Can we get off the kid,when the ball hits targets hands than is picked (2 of his 3 day 1)? Sounds like Devalve..has the Njoku hands of last years camp.

Devalve seems to be a consistent target in the passing game, and I want to say he had two TD's the other day in OTA's.  I did NOT like reading Njoku dropped a TD, but hopefully he learns from it.  

On 6/3/2018 at 8:02 PM, Dutch Oven said:

I really hope the Browns stick to the plan to slow-play Mayfield, and perhaps let him start at the end of the season if he's legitimately ready for it. If not, let him sit the entire season.

But this always sounds like a great idea to the Browns... in May, June, July... 🤣

Well said Dutch!   I think we made a much better choice of veteran QB to look to than we have in recent years while we've also strengthened our WR Corps and RB positions at the same time.

Mayfield is very impressed with Taylor and says he learns a lot watching him; while Stanton offers a voice of experience when they're watching Taylor run the offense. 

On 6/9/2018 at 7:01 AM, Westside Steve said:

Why Baker Mayfield's move up to No. 2 came at the right time

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/06/why_baker_mayfield_working_wit.html

Shared from my Google feed

Good news.

As the article says, Drew Stanton doesn't need the reps ...

Zombo

I was going to create a new thread, one discussing the future of the QB position and when you could expect to see our young signal caller. However, the information can be shared here, as it's directly relevant to Baker. 

We took a QB #1, and it's obvious to see why. Regardless if you agree with the pick, it's difficult to argue with us needing a transformation at the position. Fast forward to free agency, and we get Tyrod Taylor. A guy who squeaked into the playoffs last year with a team that rivals our post season futility (well, almost). That's no minor feat, especially when you look at WHO Tyrod was playing with on offense. There was no Landry, Gordon, or other WR until Kelvin Benjamin showed up. He definitely had a stud RB in McCoy, but little else. Despite the anemic talent, Tyrod used his uber cautious approach to win more games than he lost, which is something our franchise knows nothing about. 

So the obvious question is, what happens to our QB position if we come CLOSE to winning 8 or 9 games? Depending on how the AFC goes, a team could theoretically sneak into the post season at 8-8, or in rare cases, 7-9. If we somehow have 5 wins heading into December, and we're not mathematically eliminated from contention, you CAN'T play Baker. Not if Tyrod is playing DECENT, let alone if he's playing WELL. Winning games in December is a much different task than other months because that's when injuries take their biggest toll and the good teams find ways to win, whereas the bad ones inevitably choke. December is the month that separates contenders from pretenders. 

So, back to my point. When does Baker play? Do we WANT him to play this year, or even the next? Look upon our QB stats and performances from the past decade or so, and tell me if you want to bench Tyrod or let him walk after this year IF he performs in a similar manner to his career norms. Our QBs just last year had 28 combined interceptions. Read that again. It almost...doesn't...seem...POSSIBLE. How many picks did Tyrod have last year? I think it was 4, but let's do this...how many did Tyrod have over the last THREE years? He threw 16 picks in the 44 games he started. 

The Bills didn't get to the playoffs just because of Tyrod, in fact, it was largely their defense that they relied upon, and Buffalo also seemed to win the close ones. Defense is actually what scares me more than our offense, but that's for a different thread. I guess what I'm saying is, we win some games and introduce "fun" into being a Browns fan, we're going to have a rather large decision on the horizon. When you're the Browns, the 1-31 Browns, you're not going to throw away decent (or good) QB play easily. You can't. I'm not sure people totally understand what winning even just SIX games would feel like. You figure you close the deal on 6 wins, and there's probably 3-5 others you could've won, but lost at the end. You start to think, "Hey, we're close! We're a few players away from making a run!" That's the NORMAL progression of a football team, and something we haven't seen in decades. 

The players know, at this very early stage, that Tyrod is the man. The media can see it, and the coaches have been trying to tell anyone who will listen...Tyrod is the starting QB. There's a "calmness" surrounding the Browns camp. A quiet confidence instilled by the presence of having a veteran QB. The ball isn't hitting the ground as much. The QB is delivering catchable balls, and the defense no longer gets to think they're the 85 Bears because they take the rock away every other play like they did against Kizer. Tyrod doesn't just make our offense better, he also helps our DEFENSE. 

Baker might not play this season, and that'd be fine by me. Don't get me wrong, I'm dying to see my treasured #1 pick. The QB I've waited for us to take for what seems like FOREVER. But we have a starting QB. He's not the best, but he's far from the worst. I don't want to settle for mediocrity, but let's face it, mediocrity sounds freaking amazing right now. In fact, mediocrity might just be the ticket if our WRs stay healthy and out of trouble, and Njoku continues to develop alongside Devalve (he's one to watch, trust me). QB mediocrity and a stout defense might make us a real threat. Of course, this is ALL before training camp. Everyone needs to prepare themselves for the brutal injuries that will occur in training camp and the preseason. They happen every year, to every team. We just need to get lucky and hope the injuries aren't to key people, and honestly, it's about time for a little luck. 

Something else to consider is that Tyrod may not have hit his professional ceiling. This is just his 4th year as a starter, and like I said, he's never had weapons like this. Our QB Coach Zampese shares this sentiment, and fully believes Tyrod is not at his full potential yet. What do you think happens if Tyrod doesn't just perform like he normally does, but instead "breaks out" and goes for like 28 passing touchdowns, 3000+ yards, and runs for another 6 scores? Regardless of drafting a QB #1, an NFL team is doubtful to release or trade ANY QB who performs that well. 

There's one scenario that is both realistic and terrifying, and that's a potential injury to Tyrod. It would be naive to think our starting QB will make it through all 16 games, as the historical data shows us that hardly ANY of QBs have EVER accomplished this feat. We know Baker has been promoted to the 2nd team, but is he REALLY our backup QB? Drew Stanton is a quality backup, and someone who has won some games in his career (winning record I believe). Even though Baker is listed as 2nd string, I'm not so sure he'll actually be the guy to come in should the unthinkable happen and Tyrod goes down. Again, it's BEYOND early, but these are things that will be determined come August. 

The article posted below shares much of what I discussed, and even the writer found it difficult to believe the Browns are stacked on offense. He also shared the idea that Baker may not see the field any time soon, and it's entirely possible that Baker's era won't even begin in 2019. You may think I'm insane, but don't underestimate the value of steady QB play. We haven't had it in so long, we probably forget what it's like. We get a taste, and we're not going to WANT anyone else behind center, trust me. Additionally, say we win 5-6 games. In my eyes, that's enough to keep Hue Jackson (as long as we don't lose like 6 in a row to end the year). If we get to keep our coach (please Jesus), do you REALLY see us getting rid of the QB? Nope. 

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2782070-tyrod-taylor-isnt-browns-anointed-savior-but-he-may-be-just-what-they-need.amp.html

Hue will have to transform from a GOAT to a G.O.A.T. this year to stick around for another. He has demonstrated to me he is not a good field general on game day. I mean a timeout at the start of the first possession? Total lack of redzone offensive playcalling? Please!! These coordinators will need to be given total game day control while Hue does the rah, rah with those players during the week.

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

Baker might not play this season, and that'd be fine by me. Don't get me wrong, I'm dying to see my treasured #1 pick. The QB I've waited for us to take for what seems like FOREVER. But we have a starting QB. He's not the best, but he's far from the worst. I don't want to settle for mediocrity, but let's face it, mediocrity sounds freaking amazing right now.  

The article posted below shares much of what I discussed, and even the writer found it difficult to believe the Browns are stacked on offense. He also shared the idea that Baker may not see the field any time soon, and it's entirely possible that Baker's era won't even begin in 2019. You may think I'm insane, but don't underestimate the value of steady QB play. We haven't had it in so long, we probably forget what it's like. We get a taste, and we're not going to WANT anyone else behind center, trust me. Additionally, say we win 5-6 games. In my eyes, that's enough to keep Hue Jackson (as long as we don't lose like 6 in a row to end the year). If we get to keep our coach (please Jesus), do you REALLY see us getting rid of the QB? Nope. 

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2782070-tyrod-taylor-isnt-browns-anointed-savior-but-he-may-be-just-what-they-need.amp.html

good post jig. NFL radio had Dan Labbe on this week. Labbe was the writer from CPDealer that wrote a article on Baker that makes Baker "no match for Tyrod as starter"(in shorts at OTA's). Labbe's real concerns is what he saw from Baker on 7on7's & 11on11's. Tyrod see's the narrow windows as he should over Baker. What bothered most, is that Baker would turn his back from his receivers trying to escape pocket & when he did Tyrod was far more athletic doing it. Labbe at end of interview than claimed Baker never saw reps with the 1's..While Gregg Williams threw the book of blitz packages at the #2's. QB's turning away vs. pocket presents comes with calmness. Baker at camp, might want to sit & watch tape of some of Kosar hits with Bernie..Baker has to win the job playing in the pocket. As planned, it does not have to happen this season with Baker. Honestly I think Dorsey watching Baker at OTA's turned into getting Baker some help rolling the dice on Greg Robinson..   

10 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Hue will have to transform from a GOAT to a G.O.A.T. this year to stick around for another. He has demonstrated to me he is not a good field general on game day. I mean a timeout at the start of the first possession? Total lack of redzone offensive playcalling? Please!! These coordinators will need to be given total game day control while Hue does the rah, rah with those players during the week.

Well Texas, it's hard to argue with your point, but I'll give it a shot. Hue didn't exactly inspire confidence as a coach, I'll grant you that (putting it mildly). However, this will be the first time we get to see him in the role of head coach and nothing else, and while I admit I'm searching for optimism, I think it still bares importance. Hue doesn't just have coordinators, he has real ones. Talented ones. People who would be hired by other teams instantly. 

Let's see what happens when he's just coaching. Let's see how his feel for the game goes when he's watching from a slight distance and able to grasp both sides of the ball, as opposed to constantly babying a rookie QB. Let's just have a look at what happens when Tyrod Taylor is keeping the wheels on the wagon and we have a legitimate shot to win virtually every game. 

Ironically, there was an article published today that essentially said everything I did in my post. Obviously it was written better, lol...but the points are similar. 

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2018/06/23/cleveland-browns-nfl-exec-believes-mayfield-will-bench-years/

On 6/20/2018 at 5:16 AM, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I'm sure he is behind.   Give him a few months.

They won't bring him in as long as we are winning a few games. These guys make a good case for TT.

Archived