THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker Mayfield Thread

BobPOUND!

8 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Fahrenheit.....where the temperature readings mean something.  Where 40 is cool, 70 is warm and 90 is hot.    Not C....where the difference between cool, warm and hot are only a degree or two off.

I mean....seriously....there is NOTHING about "30 degrees" that say "Hot".     90 is fuyucking hot.   100 means something to humans.   100 in C only means something to freeking  Lobsters. 

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

All you have done is to convince me that I am right.   As far as a system of weather  temperature,   Fahrenheit is better.  It uses pretty much a full zero to 100 scale.  It is not truncated like Celsius (and beyond that...Fahrenheit isn't schizo....C....does not know if it is supposed to be known as Celsius or Centigrade).   Fahrenheit also uses  more  increments of temperature.   I mean, I can tell you right now that there is a difference when I set my thermostat at 68   versus if I set it at 72.    With C...there is hardly a difference....but there damned well is a difference.

Would it make you happy if centigrade thermostats were fractional? Sheeze, fixed in your ways. Below 10C, it's getting chilly, over 30C getting hot. Metric weights are much more precise than the archaic 16 ounces to a pound. 1,000 grams to a kilogram. 28 grams to an ounce. If you ever bother to look at your pill bottles, they're already in milligrams 1\1,000th of a gram, so you've been using metric for years. Ditto on booze. Everyone knows what a 750ml bottle looks like, so big hardship selling gas by the liter. Gas stations would love it- 75 cents a liter, looks way cheaper.  :)

Really, having everything based on multiples of 10 is a lot easier, you just need to put in the minimal effort to get used to it.

Just now, hoorta said:

Would it make you happy if centigrade thermostats were fractional? Sheeze, fixed in your ways. Below 10C, it's getting chilly, over 30C getting hot. Metric weights are much more precise than the archaic 16 ounces to a pound. 1,000 grams to a kilogram. 28 grams to an ounce. If you ever bother to look at your pill bottles, they're already in milligrams 1\1,000th of a gram, so you've been using metric for years. Ditto on booze. Everyone knows what a 750ml bottle looks like, so big hardship selling gas by the liter. Gas stations would love it- 75 cents a liter, looks way cheaper.  :)

Really, having everything based on multiples of 10 is a lot easier, you just need to put in the minimal effort to get used to it.

And....again.....I say that Fahrenheit  IS more of a method of basing weather temperature on, more or less, multiples of 10.....or at least a multiple of 100.  I know if it is -0 degrees that it is fuycking cold as hell.....I know that if it is 100 degrees that it is hot as hell.

Some metric measures may be more precise...or not. That does not necessarily mean that they are really any easier.  

And let me ask you this sort of trivia:    Where and what caused the institution of the metric system?  

You're talking about ambient temperature, but also in physics Metric system has way more sense. For example, 1 cal is what it takes to raise 1ºC of temperature 1 gram of water. 

There are many examples that show that Imperial system doesn't correlate its measurements and units, thus making it harder to grasp. You understand it only because you're used to it, not because it is easier than Metric.

And by the way, I remember reading somewhere that the cost of changing everything to Metric is only raising as the time goes. Problem is, in a world that's getting more and more global and there are other markets which don't use Imperial getting a major importance, at some point you'll have to take that step. 

2 hours ago, Nero said:

You're talking about ambient temperature, but also in physics Metric system has way more sense. For example, 1 cal is what it takes to raise 1ºC of temperature 1 gram of water. 

There are many examples that show that Imperial system doesn't correlate its measurements and units, thus making it harder to grasp. You understand it only because you're used to it, not because it is easier than Metric.

And by the way, I remember reading somewhere that the cost of changing everything to Metric is only raising as the time goes. Problem is, in a world that's getting more and more global and there are other markets which don't use Imperial getting a major importance, at some point you'll have to take that step. 

On the other hand, Metric may only seem easier for you because you are used to it.  

And consider this:   How far up your arse in metric measurements, would I have to shove my foot to make a foot?  

See how much more eloquent and poetic  Imperial measurements are for some purposes? :lol:

I mean....that sentence would just not have quite the same impact if I said I wanted to put my foot 30.48 centimeters up your arse, would it? :rolleyes:

50 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

On the other hand, Metric may only seem easier for you because you are used to it.  

And consider this:   How far up your arse in metric measurements, would I have to shove my foot to make a foot?  

See how much more eloquent and poetic  Imperial measurements are for some purposes? :lol:

I mean....that sentence would just not have quite the same impact if I said I wanted to put my foot 30.48 centimeters up your arse, would it? :rolleyes:

Well, I'd rather stick up your arse a Spanish stick, which equals to 84 cm or 2ft 9" in your system ;)

See? We also got outdated units just like you, but try to use common systems with the rest of the World and in our daily basis. You egocentric Americans lol.

And now back on topic- sort of. Caught up on my backlog of pre draft stuff, and saw this on NBC as part of their top qb prospects. If the media portrays Baker as a flag plantin', crotch grabbin', drunk jerk- this sort of stuff never hits the air waves. Fortunately, it was on YouTube also. My opinion of him as a person went up about 1,000% after seeing this. Brought a tear to my eye.....  

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

And Imperial is only easier for you because you're used to it... :)  And apparently too set in your ways....  

There ya go Gip. a foot is (exactly in my case) the length of my foot in a tennis shoe. A mile comes from the old Roman millea passum, a thousand steps. Maybe you'd prefer the old biblical cubits & a span? Drachmas and shekels went the way of the dodo, Imperial units will eventually do the same. 

But take solace in the fact our definition of time is still ( and forever will be) non metric. LOL, we haven't defined an hour as 1\10th of the rotation period of the earth, (making an hour around 144 of our current minutes long) a minute as 1\100th of a metric hour, and a second as 1\100th of a metric minute.  (though we could) We could sync days to years as 365.24XXX,  so we wouldn't need leap years. Without those leap years, we'd literally be having Christmas in July eventually.     BTW, the earth's rotation period is slowing down, and to pull some advanced astronomy on you, there's a difference between a sidereal and synodic day of about 4 minutes. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Larry you still didn't answer my trivia question when where and how did the metric system come about?

Oh some guy a few 100 years ago decided a meter was a decimal fraction of the distance between point Y and point Z. Or didn't you bother to watch Nero's video on how the Fahrenheit system arbitrarily came about? Using the standard that pure water freezes at 0 C, and boils at 100C makes perfect sense at a standard of so many millimeters of mercury.  You probably know, as atmospheric pressure goes down, so does the boiling point of water. Bet you didn't know there's something called "the Armstrong limit" named after our famous moon walker Neil Armstrong. The practical elevation (for us mountain climbers) no one could survive at. Pressure is so low, your blood & spit would start boiling without a space suit.  That's at around 18 kilometers up- go get your calculator out Gip. It's pretty easy- us distance bikers know 10 kilometers = 6.2 miles.  :)    Or I could go Kelvin on you where 0 = absolute zero, where nothing can get colder. -459F. LOL 300K = 80F It's centigrade measuring BTW. 

In reality, the only thing holding the US back from going metric is (formerly) we had OPEC selling us barrels of oil in Imperial units. 

9 hours ago, hoorta said:

Oh some guy a few 100 years ago decided a meter was a decimal fraction of the distance between point Y and point Z. Or didn't you bother to watch Nero's video on how the Fahrenheit system arbitrarily came about? Using the standard that pure water freezes at 0 C, and boils at 100C makes perfect sense at a standard of so many millimeters of mercury.  You probably know, as atmospheric pressure goes down, so does the boiling point of water. Bet you didn't know there's something called "the Armstrong limit" named after our famous moon walker Neil Armstrong. The practical elevation (for us mountain climbers) no one could survive at. Pressure is so low, your blood & spit would start boiling without a space suit.  That's at around 18 kilometers up- go get your calculator out Gip. It's pretty easy- us distance bikers know 10 kilometers = 6.2 miles.  :)    Or I could go Kelvin on you where 0 = absolute zero, where nothing can get colder. -459F. LOL 300K = 80F It's centigrade measuring BTW. 

In reality, the only thing holding the US back from going metric is (formerly) we had OPEC selling us barrels of oil in Imperial units. 

Well....I don't know about that nerdy scientific stuff.....but I DO know the history of it.   And you are way off.   

The use of the Metric system came about as a result of the French Revolution.   The term you use for the other system is "Imperial system".   Since the French Revolution was all about shedding the Monarchy there and just about anything associated with it,   they also rejected even the way things were measured. So they instituted the metric system.  Now, the system itself had been developed gradually perhaps as much as 100 years earlier during the "Age of Enlightenment",  but it was during the French Revolution that it got to be accepted and used.

Also....interestingly.....particularly for you perhaps....is that one of the people  that inspired the development of the metric system was an astronomer and was none other than a man named "Jean Picard"   (without the Luc)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Picard

Also...note this.....as you referred to it before.   While distances and volumes and weights etc. were converted to metric.......there WAS a metric time system that was NOT accepted into popular use.

https://hsm.stackexchange.com/questions/3855/was-there-ever-a-proposal-for-metric-time/3859

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well....I don't know about that nerdy scientific stuff.....but I DO know the history of it.   And you are way off.   

So they instituted the metric system.  Now, the system itself had been developed gradually perhaps as much as 100 years earlier during the "Age of Enlightenment",  but it was during the French Revolution that it got to be accepted and used.

You didn't ask why it was adopted- I was correct in saying the concept came about before the French Revolution. And I said it was a fractional distance= corectamundo. Originally defined in 1793 as one ten-millionth of the distance from the equator to the North Pole. We're more exact now. The meter is defined as the length of the path travelled by light in a vacuum, in an insanely short period of time. Considering the speed of light is around 186,000 miles per second. You can bounce a laser beam off the moon and back in 2 seconds and change. (we won't get into the definition of nanoseconds). 

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

You didn't ask why it was adopted- I was correct in saying the concept came about before the French Revolution. And I said it was a fractional distance= corectamundo. Originally defined in 1793 as one ten-millionth of the distance from the equator to the North Pole. We're more exact now. The meter is defined as the length of the path travelled by light in a vacuum, in an insanely short period of time. Considering the speed of light is around 186,000 miles per second. You can bounce a laser beam off the moon and back in 2 seconds and change. (we won't get into the definition of nanoseconds). 

They used it to dertimine the best way to use the guilletine 

11 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

This is such a delightfully weird board sometimes... :lol:

How has the baker mayfield thread become a discussion about the metric v imperial systems? I can't be bothered to read back :D

2 hours ago, Claret&Brown said:

How has the baker mayfield thread become a discussion about the metric v imperial systems? I can't be bothered to read back :D

This board is full of Renaissance men. ^_^

You should have read the thread about Kizer being traded that evolved into a debate over the best post WWII abstract artists.  

22 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

You should have read the thread about Kizer being traded that evolved into a debate over the best post WWII abstract artists.  

And a bunch of us Neaderthals sometimes reside on the poly board.:ph34r:

On 5/10/2018 at 1:35 PM, hoorta said:

I remember I think it was back in the 70's where the USA was going to go metric.  They started putting up Kilometer signs on the highways, etc.  Then they stopped.  I don't see any need to go metric.  I believe England isn't metric either.

6 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I remember I think it was back in the 70's where the USA was going to go metric.  They started putting up Kilometer signs on the highways, etc.  Then they stopped.  I don't see any need to go metric.  I believe England isn't metric either.

Yeah, but I can fool her by telling her how many centimeters long it is now.:P

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And a bunch of us Neaderthals sometimes reside on the poly board.:ph34r:

I can hear the breathing via the mouth and the dragging of the knuckles from here! :lol:

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

The Ghool, miktoxic, DieHardBrownsFan yes the list is long and distinguished. 

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I haven't quite gone full Renaissance man yet.    When I can write in Latin with my right hand, and in French with my left.....both at the same time, then may I will reach full Rennaissance man status.  B)

5 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I haven't quite gone full Renaissance man yet.    When I can write in Latin with my right hand, and in French with my left.....both at the same time, then may I will reach full Rennaissance man status.  B)

That's ok, you're still our resident barrister, fact finder and accomplished wordsmith.

8 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Sure......and hopefully not also becoming a polyglot.

noun
3. a mixture or confusion of languages.  :blink:
4. a person who speaks, writes, or reads a number of languages.

No I don't think so.

Speaks three languages - trilingual. 

Speaks two languages - bilingual. 

Speaks one language - American.  :lol:

3 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I would just say if we're selling something to the EU, it better have metric parts. Metric is already in general use in science and medicine, MHO is eventually the rest of the country will catch up. :)

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:03 PM, hoorta said:

And now back on topic- sort of. Caught up on my backlog of pre draft stuff, and saw this on NBC as part of their top qb prospects. If the media portrays Baker as a flag plantin', crotch grabbin', drunk jerk- this sort of stuff never hits the air waves. Fortunately, it was on YouTube also. My opinion of him as a person went up about 1,000% after seeing this. Brought a tear to my eye.....  

This video Shmucked me up. Powerful. Life is too short for the pettiness... we only get one shot. Make it count. 

Archived