THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker Mayfield Thread

BobPOUND!

14 minutes ago, Orion said:

Yup, that's what I heard on 92.3 the Fan today.  - Really, Highsmith shouldn't have related that encounter to anyone other than his Browns brass comprads.  MHO

Virtually everything he's said about the draft he should have kept to himself. 

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/27/2018 at 4:09 PM, tiamat63 said:

In order 

1st bold - My half game breakdown of Bedlam should do.   One of the few straight drops with Baker resulting in seeing a QB unable to move a zone defender with his eyes and unable to anticipate windows over the middle when the offense wasn't built to specifically exploit it as the primary read for him.       That not enough? Go find the footage of missed check downs from the Rose Bowl.  Straight gimmies from the Georgia defense that Baker flat out didn't see because he started dropping his eyes when he even thinks about sliding in the pocket. 

2nd bold - apologies.  I was very hungover and at work.  For some reason I still really don't consider A&M as an SEC team.    Manziel put up video game numbers against inferior competition and when faced vs top 50 defenses, well, go check his win loss record and his stats there.    Baker had a pretty similar issue up until this year.  Getting smoked by top 20 defenses in Houston and tOSU the previous season.    

Also, no, the SEC believes in defense and that's where the hungover part comes in.  

Circling back around to my point, I find that unless the structure of the offense specifically designs the primary midfield,  it's not his strong suit.   Going back to that Bedlam breakdown I remember him not seeing a few wide open drags vs the clear out as well.    I'm still at work but I'll dig into the tape after the draft.   I'll give all my thoughts on whom we select by the end of May then I'll be a ghost around here until I check in at training camp a couple times where I'll do my yearly thread.

Ok Tiamat, l think l have my points and counterpoints prepared.

Disclaimer, l’m not terribly experienced in the “break it down” aspects of the game. Just a Browns fan. If you want an example of the level of expertise l bring to the table, l started researching by Googling “Bedlam University.” I laughed at myself too...

l did read what you posted here, l read your post in the “who have you watched lately” thread on the OK v. OK State game, and l watched the same video you watched until l ran outta steam, which was around 17 minutes in.

I’ll indicate times of plays, and for the sake of brevity will mention only plays that l think showed something good or bad on Mayfield’s part. I do agree, Oklahoma’s offense was a well oiled machine, the play design was solid, and his first reads were often there, but l have a hard time holding that against the guy and instead see it as a  framework of success. 

Did l mention brevity?

:40 - Yeah, crap pass. Ill advised into double coverage. Results in an INT. I think the playmakers got off to a sluggish start in this one, but yeah, crap pass.

2:50 overthrows target by a step. He got a hand on it.

3:00 decent pass to the RB out of the backfield. RB juggled and dropped it. Supporting my thought that the offense was out of sync or sluggish. I did note he glanced upfield before swinging it to the RB. This is one of the things l like about Mayfield, that he’ll manipulate his head, shoulders and hips to create deception on where he is actually throwing the ball. I think he had no intention on throwing the ball downfield on that play, but l like that he may create space for the intended receiver by doing that.

4:33 here is another example of the shimmy shimmy shoulders and hips thing he does. Probably didn’t need to because his guy was wiiiide open for a TD pass, but still an accurate 20+ yard strike

7:05 a throw out of bounds, but you can see him look left and then looking and running right.

7:47 l saw 2 reads. He rolls and looks left then looks middle and throws middle for a decent yard pass. 

8:00 he bought all kinds of time scrambling right and seemed to be looking all over the place for an open man. Only a 3 man rush, but a nice side step from a defender and finally found an open guy for a 9 yd gain. 

8:14 a wasted play that l watched several times to see if he could have done something better, but concluded he couldn’t have. Rolled right with everyone else, dudes got bunched up, and he tried to hit a guy falling outta bounds. Incompletion.

8:36 l actually got fired up with this play. It was an end around handoff for a TD, but the handoff was more of a 6 inch shuffle pass and he immediately brought his hands up like he had the ball. I was fooled watching in real time. This was a good example of why l think he will help the running game with smoothery like this.

10:30 crap pass from Mayfield. Too high and woulda laid his receiver out had he caught it, or coulda been picked off. 

11:09 wild play. Double end around flea flicker with the defense breathing down their neck. Another ill advised throw from Mayfield but his receiver went up and nabbed it, so it worked out. It was an across the body throw, and it was accurate to his guy, but the defender was right there too. Not gonna work in the NFL.

12:03 l saw 2 reads. Middle left and middle right. Throw was wide of the receiver, but the receiver was wearing a DB jacket, so it was placed where only his receiver could get it. I see that as a positive. A yellow hankie flew meaning a ref saw it as a possible PI call on the defender’s part, but it was later called a no call. 

12:35 designed QB run. What l like about this play is he quickly glances left before booking it right. The whole deception thing again. And yeah, l dig the stiff arm at the LOS.

14:50 quick look left then spins hips and slings it right for a super YAC TD. Again the manipulation of where’s it gonna go George?

17:27 quick middle left to right scan before completing pass right.

17:37 fooled the announcers with the fake handoff before tossing to the RB out of the backfield for sn 8 yard gain.

And that’s where l ran outta steam. Did l mention brevity?

In conclusion, l am totally winging it and trying to portray into words what l think l see. Not Baker’s finest game, but he does show examples of things l like. 

Terry Pluto on Mayfield. 

"I want Mayfield to succeed simply because I'm worn out writing the never ending Browns searching for a quarterback story."

And worst/best quote and biggest fear for me: "Three times in two years Jackson has pulled quarterbacks in the middle of games when he became disenchanted with them."

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2018/05/how_should_cleveland_browns_ha.html

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Terry Pluto on Mayfield. 

"I want Mayfield to succeed simply because I'm worn out writing the never ending Browns searching for a quarterback story."

And worst/best quote and biggest fear for me: "Three times in two years Jackson has pulled quarterbacks in the middle of games when he became disenchanted with them."

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2018/05/how_should_cleveland_browns_ha.html

I am going to hope that Hue does not have the authority to do that......that it will be Haley, the OC that would make such a decision....not Hue....at least not without consulting and getting the consent of the OC

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

I am going to hope that Hue does not have the authority to do that......that it will be Haley, the OC that would make such a decision....not Hue....at least not without consulting and getting the consent of the OC

Get down and pray Gip. I got a bad feeling on this that since they kept him at HC, he will actually think he IS the HC.:blink:

18 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I thought that was Orion? Didn't he have a Vikings logo as his pic during the season out of tribute for his best friend who passed?

It was...

15 hours ago, Orion said:

Yup, that's what I heard on 92.3 the Fan today.  - Really, Highsmith shouldn't have related that encounter to anyone other than his Browns brass comprads.  MHO

agreed 

17 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Yep.I see now they pulled the report down. First post covers most of it but what's missing is on Rosen. Seems Highsmith on road trip west ran into UCLA volleyball or soccer team. asked the Head coach of team "tell me your thoughts on Josh Rosen." Head Coach made no comments on Rosen but referred Highsmith to Josh's wife/girlfriend that was a player on his team..Not sure Highsmith was wanting her actual input more like his. Report never said if Highsmith talked to her..I'll try to find another report on same story    

17 hours ago, syd said:

I read it and no he did not bother to talk to the girlfriend he just found it odd that the coach did not have anything to say said it gave him a bad feeling

More like reinforced a bad feeling... a/k/a confirmation bias.

1. WTF would Highsmith expect the coach of a different sport to talk to a stranger in an airport about a student?
  2. WTF would Highsmith expect the coach to know anything about the student?

The account I read of the interview with Highsmith implied that Highsmith did not speak to the girlfriend. Why didn't he? No idea, but homo is my theory.

On 4/29/2018 at 3:27 PM, VikingDawg said:

I know I know, I should just swallow the Sheet show that was the draft and pull out the yearly "these guys are really doing it" cowpoop and get the excuses all geared up for Budweiser Mayfield, right? I'm not into make believe. The dudes a piece of trash and the #1 pick was yet again wasted by yet another in a long line of ex coffee fetchers shipped off to Cleveland. 

No, not at all. You should just leave as it's clear this place isn't for you. There was exactly 0 that was productive in your post and it's not like anyone cares what you think or swallow.

15 hours ago, Comeonman said:

I hope you Baker Backers are right, I really do. When we drafted him I had the same sick feeling in my stomach when we drafted Weeden

Baker isn't Weeden. Brandon only tried football when he knew he couldn't cut it in baseball.  

On 5/1/2018 at 3:36 PM, Westside Steve said:

Baker Mayfield's agent: Patriots were going to move up to No. 2 to draft QB if Browns hadn't taken him

https://search.app.goo.gl/xeBkC

Shared from my Google feed

Not sure if the same graphic will pop up as it was on my Google feed but that particular photo showed a smiling Bill Belichick...

Conspiracy? I report, you decide.

WSS

Currently drafted players have little or no leverage on their rookie contracts... I seriously doubt Mayfield would pull a Joey Bosa scenario haggling about off set language.... 

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Baker isn't Weeden. Brandon only tried football when he knew he couldn't cut it in baseball.  

* Currently drafted players have little or no leverage on their rookie contracts... I seriously doubt Mayfield would pull a Joey Bosa scenario haggling about off set language.... 

* One of the results and lessons learned from Ryan Leaf and others. Big rookie signing bonuses and ask veteran linemen to take freezes or cuts.

Is it just me or is there still a fair amount of quarterback uncertainty in the NFL and maybe more to come in upcoming years? 

2018 NFL Draft First-Round Rookie Salary Projections: What Mayfield, Barkley And Darnold Will Make

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbelzer/2018/04/27/2018-nfl-draft-1st-round-rookie-salary-projections-what-mayfield-barkley-and-darnold-will-make/#2d70d6d34581

The first round of the 2018 NFL draft has come to a conclusion, and we can now begin to project the salaries for this year's crop of rookies. In a night with few surprises, the biggest winner was without question Oklahoma Sooners quarterback Baker Mayfield, the No. 1 overall pick, who will earn approximately $32,993,327 over his rookie contract with the Cleveland Browns, including a $22,185,523 signing bonus.

Running back Saquon Barkley of Penn State, who was drafted second, by the New York Giants, will make similar money: a projected $31,647,174 overall, including a $21,086,526signing bonus. Quarterback Sam Darnold, the former Southern California standout, will make approximately $30,685,571 on his rookie deal with the New York Jets after being chosen third. Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen went seventh to the Bills and stands to make $21,481,462 on his rookie deal in Buffalo. 

Compensation for 2018 NFL rookies is based on two factors: the league's salary sap and its rookie compensation pool. The NFL's salary cap (based on the terms negotiated in the 2011 collective bargaining agreement) is expected to be approximately $177.2 million per team in 2018 (an increase of 6% over 2017) for a league-wide salary distribution of approximately $5.7 billion. The second, more significant factor, is the rookie compensation pool, which puts limitations on the total amount teams can spend on a rookie's first-year salary and the total four-year contract........CONTINUED IN LINK.......

There are 7 games at the start of the season that could build some winning momentum. The first 2 being the toughest Pitt. & at Nawlins..than Jets,at Oak.,Ratbirds,LAC,at TB. Win-able gets tough 3 weeks before the Bye.At Pitts.KC,ATL..After Bye week we have only 2 Home games..tough road ahead.At Cinn.,At Houston,Car.At Denver,Cinn.,At Ravens..Tyrod usually plays up to his best against the Jets..If the staff thinks Baker is ready? Oakland's Black Hole, sounds like a Baker Mayfield 2nd half comeback winning spot..  Gumnac 

Fun video about Baker. 

53 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I wonder if in the history of the NFL if there's ever a first round pick who looked bad during the rookie non-contact camp a week after the draft? :lol: 

Ryan Leaf? He was yawning after they signed him. :lol:

Archived