THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker Mayfield Thread

BobPOUND!

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man... I keep having this vision of Baker and Saquon - jogging up to the line of scrimmage in slow motion, a light fog and smell of rain in the distance... the camera pans toward the sideline... Josh Gordon nods and turns to look upfield... and then Njoku creeps a smile through the side of his mouth as the mist descends... what could have been?

11 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well....his SN is VikingDawg.   I think that may something about where his sentiment's actually lie.

I'll take a wild guess that "VikingDawg" means he's a kid whose high school nickname is the Vikings... North Canton Hoover Vikings, for example. 

25 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Man... I keep having this vision of Baker and Saquon - jogging up to the line of scrimmage in slow motion, a light fog and smell of rain in the distance... the camera pans toward the sideline... Josh Gordon nods and turns to look upfield... and then Njoku creeps a smile through the side of his mouth as the mist descends... what could have been?

The more I read about the draft (Peter King this morning in MMQB), the more I don't think that combination would have happened. Even if the browns took barkley at 1, it has been said that almost a dozen teams had mayfield sitting on the top of their board. I think it's possible he could have gone 2 or 3 if the browns did not grab him at 1. Hindsight is 20/20 but it's possible that teams and evaluators were not on the same "ranking" scale as media personnel.  

2 hours ago, Bigalow80 said:

The more I read about the draft (Peter King this morning in MMQB), the more I don't think that combination would have happened. Even if the browns took barkley at 1, it has been said that almost a dozen teams had mayfield sitting on the top of their board. I think it's possible he could have gone 2 or 3 if the browns did not grab him at 1. Hindsight is 20/20 but it's possible that teams and evaluators were not on the same "ranking" scale as media personnel.  

There was also speculation that if Baker lasted till the 3 spot... Elway was gonna jump in and attempt to get him...

3 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Please- just get over it already. In your Saquon wet dream at #1, Mayfield goes #3 to the Jets. The talking head "experts" are blasting the Browns for a lousy choice, but the more I read the more I'm convinced it was Baker at #1, or not at all. Caught one of those Sports Science things, and besides crazy accuracy, Mayfield's release time is on the level of Aaron Rodgers. 

Better get your Giants jersey, because those fans are already hallucinating Super Bowl with Saquon. 

the plain truth is, the Browns had zero luxury of picking Barkley at one OR four, spectaclular a rb he is.

After the pick of Mayfield, and reading what Dorsey and Jackson say the reasons were... we got the best qb for us.

If our starter qb gets hurt sometime during the first half of the season - Mayfield is so consistent, accurate and smart he

could step right in. We're in great shape. and with this draft - Chubb came along after we took our new shutdown super-cornerback.

I wonder if we would have picked Barkley with the four pick, even if he had been there. I love the way it turned out.

7 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

the plain truth is, the Browns had zero luxury of picking Barkley at one OR four, spectaclular a rb he is.

After the pick of Mayfield, and reading what Dorsey and Jackson say the reasons were... we got the best qb for us.

If our starter qb gets hurt sometime during the first half of the season - Mayfield is so consistent, accurate and smart he

could step right in. We're in great shape. and with this draft - Chubb came along after we took our new shutdown super-cornerback.

I wonder if we would have picked Barkley with the four pick, even if he had been there. I love the way it turned out.

And I liked Chubb II @ #35 and am only sorry we didn't make a deal with NE for the move up for Sony who is just a little better IMO. But even so add him to this guy and we now have a hellofa RB room. Just voted by peers as #97 NFL player overall for 2018.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/04/browns_rb_carlos_hyde_voted_no.html

10 hours ago, Bigalow80 said:

There's obviously no way to prove this, but there's NO WAY Baker gets back to us at #4.  If a "half dozen" teams have their top rated QB still on the board after the first pick, you can bet your bottom dollar the phones would've been blowing up because the Browns drafted at 4, and they obviously were going to draft a QB.  Btw, the Giants are on record saying Baker was THEIR top rated QB, so it's very possible they would've snatched him at 2.  

15 hours ago, VikingDawg said:

As if you know anything about me, Jethro. 

From my limited exposure to you, yes, I would say I know a minimal few things about you:

You are petty,  pretentious and sanctimonious and ignorant.   (probably because you had your own troubled background)

12 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'll take a wild guess that "VikingDawg" means he's a kid whose high school nickname is the Vikings... North Canton Hoover Vikings, for example. 

No....he already admitted that Viking refers to the Minnesota Vikings.   I think he had some friend that died who was a Viking fan.  While it is supposed to be some kind of tribute to him (which is fine).....it still makes one question his loyalties.

13 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Man... I keep having this vision of Baker and Chubb - jogging up to the line of scrimmage in slow motion, a light fog and smell of rain in the distance... the camera pans toward the sideline... Jarvis Landry nods and turns to look upfield... and then Njoku creeps a smile through the side of his mouth as the mist descends... what will be! 

There, I fixed a few of your typos. 

1 minute ago, Westside Steve said:

Agent says Patriots considered trading up to No. 2 for Baker Mayfield

Yup... widely reported yesterday... had he fallen to the Pick 7 area, then the Pats would have tried to move up for him.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Yup... widely reported yesterday... had he fallen to the Pick 7 area, then the Pats would have tried to move up for him.

True enough but trading up to the second spot would be a pretty costly transaction. Also, as in most NFL discussion, I smell smoke. Trying to decide what the benefit would be for Bill to make the rest of the league think he wanted Baker.

WSS

can you imagine how bad the Browns would have been blasted by the media if they had selected a running back with the #1 overall pick given their desperate need for a QB?  The Browns had to use the #1 on a QB, no way around it.  For once, they got the top QB in the draft instead of trading down and waiting to see who fell to #22.

Another mergible thread under the Mayfield one...

I think Highsmith is reflecting his own evolution... I doubt he's reflecting Dorsey's, if Dorsey had one.

18 hours ago, gumby73 said:

https://www.cantonrep.com/sports/20180430/browns-draft-one-of-dorseys-right-hand-men-explains-flip-from-darnold...heres the site with complete story..Sorry :mellow: won't upload.. good insight from Highsmith. 

Getting a security code alert on that site, gum...

37 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

True enough but trading up to the second spot would be a pretty costly transaction. Also, as in most NFL discussion, I smell smoke. Trying to decide what the benefit would be for Bill to make the rest of the league think he wanted Baker.

Agree... 2nd seems very stretchy.

19 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Agree... 2nd seems very stretchy.

yes I know how the draft slot works player at #1 get's this much money and so on and so forth down the line But could be Bakers agent is already greasing the wheels for the money in the language part of the contract anyone here think Baker may hold out 

Baker Mayfield's agent: Patriots were going to move up to No. 2 to draft QB if Browns hadn't taken him

https://search.app.goo.gl/xeBkC

Shared from my Google feed

Not sure if the same graphic will pop up as it was on my Google feed but that particular photo showed a smiling Bill Belichick...

Conspiracy? I report, you decide.

WSS

1 minute ago, Westside Steve said:

Baker Mayfield's agent: Patriots were going to move up to No. 2 to draft QB if Browns hadn't taken him

https://search.app.goo.gl/xeBkC

Shared from my Google feed

Not sure if the same graphic will pop up as it was on my Google feed but that particular photo showed a smiling Bill Belichick...

Conspiracy? I report, you decide.

WSS

There are reports of Josh mcdaniels also possibly mentioning that they could move up. Guess the Pats wanted to work him out and he said no, he didnt think he would last to 23. All of this is really a he said she said. The only factor here is that people will say we are vindicated for taking him, because the Pats possibly wanted him at 2.

16 minutes ago, syd said:

yes I know how the draft slot works player at #1 get's this much money and so on and so forth down the line But could be Bakers agent is already greasing the wheels for the money in the language part of the contract anyone here think Baker may hold out 

Doubtful... just serves no purpose as there will be so much onfield info generated over the next four seasons that anything said now will be overwhelmed if not long forgotten.

1 minute ago, Tour2ma said:

Doubtful... just serves no purpose as there will be so much onfield info generated over the next four seasons that anything said now will be overwhelmed if not long forgotten.

so you are saying that it is doubtful he signs before camp ?

1 minute ago, syd said:

so you are saying that it is doubtful he signs before camp ?

No... there's nothing worth holding out for as we will give him 100% offset language.

My comment is aimed at his first negotiated contract that's 4 years away to which I thought you were pointing.

7 hours ago, The Gipper said:

No....he already admitted that Viking refers to the Minnesota Vikings.   I think he had some friend that died who was a Viking fan.  While it is supposed to be some kind of tribute to him (which is fine).....it still makes one question his loyalties.

I thought that was Orion? Didn't he have a Vikings logo as his pic during the season out of tribute for his best friend who passed?

22 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I thought that was Orion? Didn't he have a Vikings logo as his pic during the season out of tribute for his best friend who passed?

I don't know...maybe.  It was someone.  this guy seemed the logical guy.

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Another mergible thread under the Mayfield one...

I think Highsmith is reflecting his own evolution... I doubt he's reflecting Dorsey's, if Dorsey had one.

Getting a security code alert on that site, gum...

Yep.I see now they pulled the report down. First post covers most of it but what's missing is on Rosen. Seems Highsmith on road trip west ran into UCLA volleyball or soccer team. asked the Head coach of team "tell me your thoughts on Josh Rosen." Head Coach made no comments on Rosen but referred Highsmith to Josh's wife/girlfriend that was a player on his team..Not sure Highsmith was wanting her actual input more like his. Report never said if Highsmith talked to her..I'll try to find another report on same story    

1 minute ago, gumby73 said:

Yep.I see now they pulled the report down. First post covers most of it but what's missing is on Rosen. Seems Highsmith on road trip west ran into UCLA volleyball or soccer team. asked the Head coach of team "tell me your thoughts on Josh Rosen." Head Coach made no comments on Rosen but referred Highsmith to Josh's wife/girlfriend that was a player on his team..Not sure Highsmith was wanting her actual input more like his. Report never said if Highsmith talked to her..I'll try to find another report on same story    

I read it and no he did not bother to talk to the girlfriend he just found it odd that the coach did not have anything to say said it gave him a bad feeling

1 hour ago, syd said:

I read it and no he did not bother to talk to the girlfriend he just found it odd that the coach did not have anything to say said it gave him a bad feeling

Yup, that's what I heard on 92.3 the Fan today.  - Really, Highsmith shouldn't have related that encounter to anyone other than his Browns brass comprads.  MHO

Archived