THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker Mayfield Thread

BobPOUND!

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Just to be clear, you want a list of who has been shutdown corners every year for the past 5? 

Patrick Peterson

Sherm when he was healthy

Chris Harris

with cases to be made for Talib & Rhodes.  

Ok there is 5 out of 32 teams.   My point with this whole Ward pick is you never hear “man this team is a shut down DB away” or “I think the Colts should trade up to take a shut down DB”.  I don’t disagree that a strong defensive backfield is a good idea but the are bigger needs and more effective use of assets.  

1 hour ago, PoeticG said:

Nick Chubb, while he's no Saquon- put up some comparable numbers at the combine. Hyde - Chubb - Duke should be able to operate a respectable ground game. 

While I had it:

Barkley - Mayfield - Oliver - Williams = RB/QB/CB/OL

They went:

Mayfield - Ward - Corbett - Chubb = QB/CB/OL/RB 

Time will tell which would have been better...

Sacrificing Barkley to ensure that we got the right QB ended up being the right move for our FO. 

I still think that had they taken Barkley first, the NY Giants would have been left holding the bag- thus they may have simply traded out to Cleveland who could then have taken Mayfield. We'll never really know if it would have happened that way but whatever, gotta keep moving forward. 

Po- tons of respect for the way you are handling the way the draft worked out vs what you were hoping.  Seriously- great fan.

Just watched the mini-series. I really enjoyed it. Baker is a captivating player and person. He's a bit of an underdog which I really like. He's a "mean mix" of Colt McCoy and Kevin Hogan :P

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Kizer was a raw QB taken with the 52nd overall pick, who was rushed onto the field by an incompetent franchise.

Mayfield was taken with the #1 overall pick. 

You mean Kizer was sort of a bad pick? I'll  defer to Troy Aikman here- you can't fix inaccurate....  FWIW, you didn't hear me screaming profanities at the TV this year when Baker's name got called, unlike last year when Jim Brown anounced the now departed Kizer. 

11 minutes ago, hoorta said:

You mean Kizer was sort of a bad pick? I'll  defer to Troy Aikman here- you can't fix inaccurate....  FWIW, you didn't hear me screaming profanities at the TV this year when Baker's name got called, unlike last year when Jim Brown anounced the now departed Kizer. 

I did enough swearing for both of us. :lol:

18 hours ago, The Gipper said:

This IS what Dorsey did:   Drafted for need.   I am sure most would say you don't draft for need if you have 1 and 4......but that is what the Browns did.

QB and CB were the Browns two biggest weaknesses.

Now, those weaknesses have been addressed with the highest possible assets.  Now they can fill in lesser needs in round 2. And hopefully do well.

Oh, I'm not upset and I hope I didn't come off that way. I completely understand the rationale. I think the issue some people are having is that Ward would have likely been available a little later, so why turn down one of the trades if we're taking a player likely to be available at...say....12 from the Bills? Would Ward have been there? Who knows? I get the feeling we didn't WANT to trade, and we set the trade cost SO high that basically nobody would ever accept it. We didn't care about draft value or where experts thought someone should go. We identified the guys we wanted and we took them. And you know what? I'm SO cool with that because we have a GROUP of football people making these choices that have demonstrated success in their careers. Dorsey, Highsmith, Wolfe....all are highly respected. 

When you look at our team right now, and you compare it to last year's, it's very difficult NOT to see we're better, and that's the point. We have a REAL team (in my opinion) and we drafted some tough guys. Guys that like football. Ward is NOT Justin Gilbert people. Do I wish Denzel Ward had the physical size of Gilbert? Yes. But Ward has virtually everything else needed to make an impact in our secondary. 

21 hours ago, Zombo said:

Yep, definitely a need pick. For some reason, passing on Chubb makes me think they really like Ogbah.

Ward gives the D a shutdown corner that really needed a shutdown corner.

So right now our three best corners are: Ward, Carrie, Taylor ? Then you got Gaines, Boddy Calhoun, Mitchell, Wilson ... I suppose someone is tradebait today ... Taylor?

Zombo

I believe they tried to trade Taylor earlier, but it's possible I made that up. Lol. Regardless, I'd much rather have too many corners than not enough! Heck, I wanted to figure out a way to get Ward AND Josh Jackson later on. And yes, I believe you're correct in that we like Ogbah. Gregg does like to rotate his DL, so Bradley Chubb could've easily been the pick, but we addressed the issue with Thomas from Miami. 

22 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Ironically two very excellent CBs are still on the board in Oliver/Jackson. But Landry/Key are still there if we want rotation in DE. My gut tells me we pick Hurst though since we traded off Shelton. He's a better inside rusher than Danny so I could live with it.

I really liked Jackson as well. 

After a couple of days to digest Baker being picked #1 overall, and I'm now totally on the Baker Bandwagon. There's a lot to like about the kid and since he's now a Brown, I'm going to focus on all of the good things he brings to the team, and I'll let some of you mope about on the questionable ones he brings.

What got me aboard the BB? It's simple.....

Who am I going to put more trust in at this point in time, all of those kool, self appointed Draft Gurus that have only seen the tip of the iceberg (but like to pretend they've seen the whole thing), or the group of people that have spent well over a thousand man hours on seeing the whole iceberg? 

So, it's just that phuckin' simple, and as long as the kid doesn't do anything stupid on - or especially off the field, I'll be the official Captain of the SS BB.................. All Aboard.  

2 minutes ago, D Bone said:

After a couple of days to digest Baker being picked #1 overall, and I'm now totally on the Baker Bandwagon. There's a lot to like about the kid and since he's now a Brown, I'm going to focus on all of the good things he brings to the team, and I'll let some of you mope about on the questionable ones he brings.

Who am I going to put more trust in at this point in time, all of those kool, self appointed Draft Gurus that have only seen the tip of the iceberg (but like to pretend they've seen the whole thing), or the group of people that have spent well over a thousand man hours on seeing the whole iceberg? 

So, it's just that phuckin' simple, and as long as the kid doesn't do anything stupid on - or especially off the field, I'll be the official Captain of the SS BB.................. All Aboard.  

Seeing the iceberg doesn't mean you avoid it...  just ask the Titanic.  

1 minute ago, tiamat63 said:

and pretending you see it doesn't mean it's there.

Just now, D Bone said:

and pretending you see it doesn't mean it's there.

That doesn't make any sense in the context of this conversation.    Baker = iceberg in your line of thinking....     Shmuck it,  can't wait to see this thread in 2 years.  

1 minute ago, tiamat63 said:

That doesn't make any sense in the context of this conversation.    Baker = iceberg in your line of thinking....     Shmuck it,  can't wait to see this thread in 2 years.  

You seem to mistake someone (me) saying "Hell, let's see if the kid can play" for some type of self anointed, Guru proclamation that I somehow know the future and am saying "He will be great - book it"..... I don't pretend to be that smart.  

Guess I know what Wagon you're Captaining...... See you in 730 days. (I'm sure you've bookmarked this already) 

11 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

The Titanic sank because of progressive flooding. Instead of saving the ship and closing hatches and remaining afloat, they left them all open thus filling the whole boat.

1 minute ago, D Bone said:

You seem to mistake someone (me) saying "Hell, let's see if the kid can play" for some type of self anointed, Guru proclamation that I somehow know the future and am saying "He will be great - book it"..... I don't pretend to be that smart.  

Guess I know what Wagon you're Captaining...... See you in 730 days. (I'm sure you've bookmarked this already) 

What we need to do is not focus on this and instead focus on ....  

1 minute ago, cambridgeho said:

The Titanic sank because of progressive flooding. Instead of saving the ship and closing hatches and remaining afloat, they left them all open thus filling the whole boat.

This ^^^     

We've gone astray here, boys.  

5 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

What we need to do is not focus on this and instead focus on ....  

This ^^^     

We've gone astray here, boys.  

Haha, just messin. 

19 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Just to be clear, you want a list of who has been shutdown corners every year for the past 5? 

• Patrick Peterson
  • Sherm when he was healthy
  • Chris Harris
  • with cases to be made for Talib & Rhodes.  

Pretty much where I'd have gone adding Trumaine Johnson... off the top of my head... although Chris Harris would have escaped me.

One of the issues is that emerging, shutdown CBs tend to move a lot in FA and once in a new situation, a new system surrounded by new teammates, they may not produce at the same level even if they have the same capability.

Also raw stats aren't as revealing as they once were... at least not INTs and PD... as opponents simply go away from the CB studs. But QB ratings when throwing in a CB's area and other new-Gen stats do still show who the studs are.

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

Thatta boy D-Bone!

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Oh this should be fun, maybe he is the rookie "sooner savior".  Bernie v2.0, well sorta.

I just hope the BROWNS are not just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. :lol:

He was my second favorite guy in every instance. I figured Sam darnold was the safest but in second place I liked Baker Mayfield.

It seems to me the Josh Rosen was the most ready to step into an NFL offense and my second choice was Baker Mayfield.

I believed that Josh Allen had the physical tools to be a legendary quarterback if you can harness the lightning and again my #2 was Baker Mayfield.

I like the kid I'm on his side.

WSS

Archived