THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker Mayfield Thread

BobPOUND!

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Nero said:

One Spanish journalist said that he doesn:t see the Browns picking Mayfield because he is ready to play now and it wouldn't make sense as we have a bridge QB in Tyrod. He said that Darnold would make more sense in this context. Your thoughts?

Your Spanish journalist don't know Bo Diddley.   Mayfield is no more ready to play now than any of these other QBs.  He played in a system completely unlike the pro system.

If one guy is ready to play now it may be Rosen....because of the system he ran.

2 hours ago, Bigalow80 said:

That's the NFL. They are having former players of all the teams announce 2nd and 3rd round picks.

I just don't understand the value of Mayfield at #1. I think he can easily be had at picks #3 or #4. I'm not against drafting him (although I have my reservations), I just don't see him as the top qb. After all of this analysis, my final Rankings are: 1) Rosen 2) Darnold 3) Allen 4) Mayfield. This is why I am having a hard time drafting mayfield at 1. If the browns really want mayfield, i think they could easily trade with the Jets for whatever compensation it is that they want and they will still land him there. 

The browns are going to Browns this thing, aren't they? Looks like the, "hold my beer" texts are going to be hot and heavy

It's if he's "the guy" you just take him. If you think he's worth #3, he's worth #1. Don't try and get cute. Like last year with Trubisky. Bears almost certainly could have stayed put and got him, they weren't taking the chance. I have Darnold and Mayfield ranked the same, no preference.

2 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Jeremiah mock draft 4.0: Browns pick Baker Mayfield No. 1

https://search.app.goo.gl/4ex8U

Shared from my Google feed

So Mel Kiper and now him. How accurate are these guys been over the years?

WSS

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/5/3/15517982/mock-draft-nfl-2017-results

6 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

WSS

The oven is heating up for Baker. I think the word will be out by 6PM...  

4 hours ago, Flugel said:

If scouts are looking at tape of UCLA's defense to evaluate Josh Rosen - I sincerely hope they're not our's. I've never read or heard any draft analyst or scout say UCLA's defense is the concern about Rosen so I don't see why it's brought up as one all the time.  For example, he got more credit than Darnold did in their 2017 head to head when UCLA lost to USC 28-23.

If anything, a bad defense can keep a prolific passer in a bunch of shoot-outs he wants on center stage.

First, c'mon... you don't have to spend time on the tape looking at a given D to figure out why they give up tons of points, just note the QBs role, if any, in contributing to their poor showing. And that can be noted from the study of the QB. A poor D simply puts added pressure on a QB before he ever steps onto the field. So again I say that once you bring in considerations other than the QB, you cannot ignore the D.

Agree that bad D can force a QB into hero role... but it also sets him up to be the "goat"... not to be confused with the G.O.A.T.

2 minutes ago, bamwa said:

Austin Powers baby. Allen's racist tweets will assure a fractured locker room wherever he ends up. Also Allen hates Lebron while BM loves the cavs now apparently. 

Well if that's the main concern of our front office when it comes to selecting a quarterback and potential face of the team for the next 15 years with the number one pick in the draft I'm more worried about our future that I was with any GM in recent history.

😖

WSS

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Why have we lined up Jim Brown to announce our pick starting  @ #33 if we are then taking Barkley @ #4?

Because the Commish does the 1st Round announcements and Jim Brown can still walk?

4 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

im no judge of talent... but I know people and this mayfield kid is a headcase no question.

And this is where I've landed... again...

After working hard to get comfortable with him over the past few weeks, I watched some of his recent interviews yesterday and was appalled.

Also got comfortable with Darnold yesterday...

My timing sucks.

Rosen or Bust!

1 minute ago, Tour2ma said:

After working hard to get comfortable with him over the past few weeks, I watched some of his recent interviews yesterday and was appalled.

Uh oh, why's that may I ask Tour?

2 hours ago, Kennel Club said:

Groovy, psychedelic cauliflower!!!!

My thought as well...

30 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

So yesterday Hue saw our Board and today everyone is jumping to Mayfield. Coincidence?

3 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Uh oh, why's that may I ask Tour?

Absolutely zero humility... absolutely zero genuineness.

Plenty of "smug"...

Rex Ryan and Bill Polian just ripped Mayfield at #1 apart...

Rex: "He's not Drew Brees." "The NFL is a size-speed league and Mayfield has neither."

Bill: "He's not Riussell Wilson"

1 minute ago, Tour2ma said:

Rex Ryan and Bill Polian just ripped Mayfield at #1 apart...

Rex: "He's not Drew Brees." "The NFL is a size-speed league and Mayfield has neither."

Bill: "He's not Riussell Wilson"

Well....he should do what the guy he is often compared to did:

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

First, c'mon... you don't have to spend time on the tape looking at a given D to figure out why they give up tons of points, just note the QBs role, if any, in contributing to their poor showing. And that can be noted from the study of the QB. A poor D simply puts added pressure on a QB before he ever steps onto the field. So again I say that once you bring in considerations other than the QB, you cannot ignore the D.

Agree that bad D can force a QB into hero role... but it also sets him up to be the "goat"... not to be confused with the G.O.A.T.

Not sure if this makes sense as a reply.

But the QB for sure can lead to a really shitty defense.  The Browns offense for years is a perfect example...  If a QB and the offense are constantly going 3 and out, and the defense never gets any rest, this is of course going to lead to a shitty defense on a lot of levels.

We get the ball first and our O goes 3 and out. Defense steps up and does a good job and maybe they get them out on the 2nd set of downs.. We are up on O and then 3 and out. Again our D steps up and stops them before they get into FG range... Our O is pinned back and goes 3 and out. Punt leaves our D already on our side of the field.. They bend don't break and give up a FG..

By the 4th quarter the D is exhausted and we are down by 21. They are forced to blitz blitz ... And then we get smoked with big downfield throws and suddenly we lost 35 to 3 or if we are lucky 35 to 10 in junk time...

A bad QB/Offense is the chicken before the egg.

Archived