THE BROWNS BOARD

Dorsey pre-draft presser

gumby73

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, hx214 said:

Mary Kay asks the worst questions (sometimes multiple times)... how does she still have a job. 

Rosen or Mayfield would mess with this chicks mind so badly..Darnold or Allen would be like 2 kids getting yelled at by a school bus driver :lol: 

So if we actually draft Allen, we now know it will be based at least partly on hand size.  On the flip side, Mahommes hands were rather small and exactly the same size as Mayfields'.  With Mahommes, it seemed to be more about intellegence.

If you're looking for both qualities in a QB, Rosen is probably the guy you take.  I would not be surprised one iota if he is the pick.

My gut still says they love Mayfield though.

Mary K is definitely the worst journalist in the Cleveland area. That being said, what do the reporters think he was going to say? This whole time he has given nothing up and continues to say he will listen to everything up until they are on the clock. Why do they all ask the same damn question about qbs seven different ways? 

The more I watch Dorsey, the more he grows on me. At first, I thought he was this "old school" football guy but the more he talks, it is very clear he is taking everything into consideration even analytics. I think he leans quite a bit on his assistants for the details and then he is the guy who will make the final decision. He's very much a CEO type that appears to look at all the data presented, everyone gets a chance to make a case, then HE will make the decision and everyone will be on board. 

I seriously think that they are going to consider trading down from 1 if the right offer comes around. Specifically from the Jets. The bills would be too much of a move down from 1, but I certainly got the impression from this press conference that he's not afraid to do anything. Fans be damned. If he thinks it will help the Browns win, he's going to do it. It's clear to me that he does not have "a type" of qb. He wants a guy who is going to help this team win. I think he will take all things into consideration especially from the coaching staff. he made multiple references to fitting what the Browns want to do with their offense. 

"If you are like-minded in thinking you'll be able to see the same things." - J. Dorsey

We have a new definition of consensus.

Lord, help us...

I think Terry Pluto summed the Presser up well...

" At his Thursday news conference, John Dorsey did a good job of saying nothing in a mildly interesting way about the 2018 NFL Draft. "

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2018/04/cleveland_browns_draft_feeling.html

Well from listening to the presser, it seems to me he already knows who they are picking and he doesn't plan to trade back from 1 and 4. He just says what he needs to say to not commit to anything, which is what he should do.

8 hours ago, Bigalow80 said:

Do we get to start saying, "trust the process"? He must have said that 100x

the process starts at 3:24..I find it as a process that most teams follow..but, Does anybody find it "Dorsey guarded" as the Coaches were only given a list of players names that coaches could scout at combine? 

5 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I think the best part of being a GM is to Shmuck with news reporters leading up to the draft. 

Absolutely!

Mike

On 4/19/2018 at 8:12 PM, hx214 said:

Mary Kay asks the worst questions (sometimes multiple times)... how does she still have a job. 

Even worse, Dorsey said hand size is something they weigh very heavily for Cleveland's climate/weather after someone finally convinced Mary Kay Cosmetics she didn't need to mention it in every article.

While the comment made perfect sense, there were 2 inappropriate ears hearing it. That was a lot like putting the summary of Peter King's 3 minutes of annual attention to the Cleveland Browns in front of Josh Allen's creepiest man-crush in the height of silly season. And don't forget - Josh Allen is one of the only kids in this draft that LOVES football at least allegedly.  Stay tuned....

29 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Even worse, Dorsey said hand size is something they weigh very heavily for Cleveland's climate/weather after someone finally convinced Mary Kay Cosmetics she didn't need to mention it in every article.

While the comment made perfect sense, there were 2 inappropriate ears hearing it. That was a lot like putting the summary of Peter King's 3 minutes of annual attention to the Cleveland Browns in front of Josh Allen's creepiest man-crush in the height of silly season. And don't forget - Josh Allen is one of the only kids in this draft that LOVES football at least allegedly.  Stay tuned....

Apparently Pat Mahomes had the smallest hands of the 2017 QB class...

1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

No, I can't imagine he said anything of any importance this close to the draft. 

But here you are in a thread about his presser questioning a point he made 12 minutes and 12 seconds into the video you chose not to watch anyway. 

He also made it known later in the video that the selection of Mahomes came via committee to shock all those thinking Andy Reid was just a church mouse quiet observer with no say in what QB KC drafted/traded-up for last year.  Some of the reporters with questions sounded like they really needed to hear this especially since 2018 isn't Dorsey's first time he has had to count on the research, teamwork and input of a committee before arriving at a final decision reflective of their Democracy.

I don't think anyone expected him to announce who he is going to draft at #1 or tip his hand. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Apparently Pat Mahomes had the smallest hands of the 2017 QB class...

the hand size quote in the presser is Dorsey tipping his hat to other teams were taking Allen :wub: (won't happen)

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

No, I can't imagine he said anything of any importance this close to the draft. 

your confusing only yourself not listening..plenty of good stuff here to fill in your own blanks when draft begins..even some beach bums are welcome..

He let nothing slip in that presser.

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

But here you are in a thread about his presser questioning a point he made 12 minutes and 12 seconds into the video you chose not to watch anyway. 

He also made it known later in the video that the selection of Mahomes came via committee to shock all those thinking Andy Reid was just a church mouse quiet observer with no say in what QB KC drafted/traded-up for last year.  Some of the reporters with questions sounded like they really needed to hear this especially since 2018 isn't Dorsey's first time he has had to count on the research, teamwork and input of a committee before arriving at a final decision reflective of their Democracy.

I don't think anyone expected him to announce who he is going to draft at #1 or tip his hand. 

Ever worked with a control freak? They tend to believe everyone was onboard with their decisions. Among other things Dorsey was run out of KC because he blindsided everyone with his 2017 draft.

Most revealing part of the Presser was Dorsey talking about his "democratic" process where he and dissenters meet to discuss their different views. This is where "the one" gets "the many" in line.

19 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Ever worked with a control freak? They tend to believe everyone was onboard with their decisions. Among other things Dorsey was run out of KC because he blindsided everyone with his 2017 draft.

Most revealing part of the Presser was Dorsey talking about his "democratic" process where he and dissenters meet to discuss their different views. This is where "the one" gets "the many" in line.

Could it be the "control freak" learned something when he got booted out of KC? Or is it the leopard can't change his spots?  Stay tuned. 

57 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

2-star-trek-ii-the-wrath-of-khan_v2.jpg

21 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I am only responsible for what I type - not what you are willing to accept.  I typed Dorsey said in his presser that the selection of Mahomes came via committee.  I'm not the guy you need to picket if that doesn't sit well with you because you think Andy Reid was tied up to a chair with duck tape over his mouth for an entire draft in 2017.  A HUGE reason Andy hand selected KC was he was assured the same power he had in Philly especially the say in what QB his career there would be defined and evaluated by.  My guess is if he hated the Mahomes selection - Alex Smith would have been more than happy to stay where he enjoyed the best years of his career.   People forget Favre and McNabb played in a Veer in college which meant neither were about to be loved by all teams pre-draft before Andy coached them.  This is very similar to the way people/teams viewed the type of college offense Mahomes was coming out of. Andy has a history of being able to work with these types of QBs that other teams were reluctant to consider.  We actually considered Akili Smith more than McNabb for #1 overall while while no 1st round selection was booed louder than McNabb at #2 overall.  Mahomes has a lot of similarities to Favre with arm strength often in spite of mechanics as well as the gunslinger mentality. I think Andy Reid liked Mahomes a lot better than you are willing to accept here.  

In a draft where there's been a lot of debate over the top 3-4 QB prospects - there's bound to be disagreement among scouts. coaches, and leadership/FO. I would rather see Dorsey VALUE their research, input and evaluation summaries via debate rather than Butch Davis disrespectfully power playing them with 2 middle fingers prior to Gerrard Warren at #3 overall baby!  It looked to me like Highsmith and Wolfe were excited to re-unite with Dorsey.  Would that happen if they didn't think he valued their input?  

To answer your question - Yes.  I was Head Football Coach for an Athletic Director in the late 80s who was a legendary high school football coach. He just so happened to have a son on the team he hired me to coach. FWIW, I took a program that didn't win a football game in 3 years before I was hired to 2nd place in just my second year.  Sometimes a control freak gets where he is by unparalleled organizational standards such as Nick Saban and Bill Belichick. While Bill Belichick makes all the decisions - he's pretty freakin demanding of all his employees right down to the detail in their scouting reports. Yes HE makes the the final decisions but he counts on those he empowers for research, input and evaluation summaries prior to his final decisions. 

for some reason this may not upload but sounds like a consensus to me in KC?  https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article147284164.html  than the new KC GM Brett Veach took C.Erving off our hands & not much better choices from there imo..I also think the Bills are slipping..

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

I am only responsible for what I type - not what you are willing to accept.

Would that happen if they didn't think he valued their input?  

While Bill Belichick makes all the decisions - he's pretty freakin demanding of all his employees right down to the detail in their scouting reports. Yes HE makes the the final decisions but he counts on those he empowers for research, input and evaluation summaries prior to his final decisions.

First, while my response was prompted by your post it was not aimed at you. I know proximity makes this hard to appreciate as I have made that mistake as well. That said the following are direct replies...

What I accept are things that are consistent with what I observe.

In the end the only way input is shown to be valued is thru it's acceptance.

A demanding boss with high standards is not the same thing as a control freak.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

First, while my response was prompted by your post it was not aimed at you. I know proximity makes this hard to appreciate as I have made that mistake as well. That said the following are direct replies...

What I accept are things that are consistent with what I observe.

In the end the only way input is shown to be valued is thru it's acceptance.

A demanding boss with high standards is not the same thing as a control freak.

Thanks for the clarification!   

Archived