THE BROWNS BOARD

New voting age

2 hours ago, The Cysko Kid said:

Sure it would. If there's one thing you can count on it's that most people are really stupid. I just think it would end up hurting the Democrats much more. 

Also, whether you're willing to admit it or not your views, at least the ones you espouse on here, are democrat all day. That's fine. Unlike some of these guys I am not a democrat hater by default. 

I think you'd be more correct to call me liberal than Democrat. I have not and will not pledge blind allegiance to a political party like some on here. Now I don't think I'm liberal across the board in my views, but more so that than conservative I imagine.

We could come up scenarios that hurt both ways 

Question 1: Is Obama a secret Muslim?

Or

Question 1: The white male is to blame for bad things

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Well you stated often enough that you supported Bernie Sanders. And you seem to be pretty hard left on what you see are civil rights problems and gay discrimination. You stated a few times that you are for free college and forgiveness of student loans. Universal Health Care? I forget exactly, but where do you stand there? I would guess you're on the left of the immigration problem? Feel free to tell me I'm wrong unless the best you can do is say "I never said that." 

It seems to me you're politics mostly stem from animosity toward some of the members here, including myself.

But I would guess poor people are poor for a reason and at least one of those reasons is it they aren't very smart. One would think poor people would vote for the party that promises them more free stuff. And that stupid people would be among the ones to not make the cut if there were  a test for voting . Also lawbreakers would tend not to vote for the strict Law & Order candidate, usually the Republican. I would also guess that you are in the minority amongst your peers in the engineering world like I am amongst most theater kids. 

WSS

Out of the options available, yes. Bernie offered the same postives Trump did, but without social conservative baggage Trump was trumpeting to get elected. Not that Bernie was perfect.

I didn't realize "Gays should be allowed to get married" is "hard left". I think that's just common knowledge/belief to the vast majority of my generation. (Which all ties back to the discussion that people don't become socially conservative as they age, their views they've always held do). If something like that or agreeing with the consensus of climatologists on climate change is "hard left", then so be it.

I said I was for free college and forgiveness of college loans? I did? I'm going with the "I said that?" response because you're saying I did, not asking. 

Hahahaha. Yes. All of my world views are derived from the fact I don't like you or Cal.

Hahahahaha

Oh man... That's incredibly conceited. And hilarious. I guess I'll read the rest of this post.

Poor people can be poor for a lot of reasons. Stupid people can be wealthy. Stupid people can vote for many stupid reasons. Free stuff. More Jesus. Whatever. None of this stuff is exclusive to a side like many on here want it to be.

I wouldn't make the test an IQ test. It would be how our govt works, some history, recent events and some basic science/math. Stuff like that. 

As I've said before, in my time at school, no one in engineering gave a Sheet about politics and various causes. We all were too busy and had better things to do. At the end of the day I'd expect STEM majors' views to correlate with common sense, fact based beliefs. I've never really looked it up how they lean though. 

26 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Out of the options available, yes. Bernie offered the same postives Trump did, but without social conservative baggage Trump was trumpeting to get elected. Not that Bernie was perfect.

I didn't realize "Gays should be allowed to get married" is "hard left". I think that's just common knowledge/belief to the vast majority of my generation. (Which all ties back to the discussion that people don't become socially conservative as they age, their views they've always held do). If something like that or agreeing with the consensus of climatologists on climate change is "hard left", then so be it.

I thought we had somewhat tacitly agreed that the best plan was just some weeding into all the way around. Forcing actual marriage I think it's the furthest left position. And remember it's my position as well. It's just the farthest left.

I said I was for free college and forgiveness of college loans? I did? I'm going with the "I said that?" response because you're saying I did, not asking. 

that was kind of one of Bernese biggest campaign points free college and forgiveness. Along with the Universal Health Care, single-payer. If you were against those things I stand corrected.

Hahahaha. Yes. All of my world views are derived from the fact I don't like you or Cal.

there's a typical Woody using words like every or all. Just go through the last 50 posts or so of yours see how many are "well I disagree with that statement because of" and how many are just plane snark directed at someone here.

Hahahahaha

Oh man... That's incredibly conceited. And hilarious. I guess I'll read the rest of this post.

Poor people can be poor for a lot of reasons.

I'd say the vast majority of those reasons  are being stupid or lazy .  Bad luck  can be overcome  usually.

Stupid people can be wealthy. Stupid people can vote for many stupid reasons.

without having reams of studies in front of me I would have to assume that stupid and lazy people being wealthy and successful are probably among a very small minority

Free stuff. More Jesus. Whatever. None of this stuff is exclusive to a side like many on here want it to be.

exclusive? Remember again nothing is completely exclusive.

I wouldn't make the test an IQ test. It would be how our govt works, some history, recent events and some basic science/math. Stuff like that. 

sure. But I'm thinking that Retarded people should probably be excluded oh, some sort of an IQ breakpoint?

As I've said before, in my time at school, no one in engineering gave a Sheet about politics and various causes. We all were too busy and had better things to do. At the end of the day I'd expect STEM majors' views to correlate with common sense, fact based beliefs. I've never really looked it up how they lean though. 

and again I don't have hard numbers but amongst artists musicians theater guys etcetera I find a lot of people on the left and I'm not really worried about making that generalization. We know the lawyers and college professors break Democratic and doctors and entrepreneurs Republican. And again of course not exclusively

WSS

Quick look on Pew as of 2017

74% of Millennials approve of gay marriage. 73% of Dems and 70% or Independents. 85% Liberals and 70% Moderates.

Calling that "hard left" seems a little disingenuous. Just sayin...

I don't think all college needs to be free. It is definitely overpriced and a bubble right now. Maybe some state schools or just CC's could offer free Associates or something, to create an academic foundation. It also would be beneficial for students in High School to better understand vocational options. Pertaining to what I'm doing right now, you can make bank as a skilled CNC programmer with some extra computer design skills.

Reading 90% of the threads on here you'd have a hard time believing some others on here understand it isn't exclusive.

I wouldn't make it a straight up IQ test. That misses the point. You're voting on public policy, our government, the economy, etc. Not your ability to find patterns  or something.  

Idk how accurate this is, but it provides a pretty cool breakdown if you scroll down

http://verdantlabs.com/politics_of_professions/

Engineering seems pretty even when you expand it out.

Again, I'm used to no one really caring about politics. I don't think any of my friends are active Dems or Reps. And when it comes up, the most common thread is age. Where, to me, common sense stuff like legalizing weed, is agreed upon. I hang with a group that is pretty well educated (and I'm sure someone is gonna jump on that), so maybe that adds to it. Not just saying we should do something because we've always done it. Looking at facts, not other nonsense. But maybe one day I'll be the older person shaking my first at social changes because they're different. I hope not. Either from continued education, a further interconnected world, or just my own personality. Who knows.

Most people need to understand that the "argument" between the Left and Right is nothing more than a distraction for the people. The people in charge are always going to do what they think is best for them not the other way around. They all go to the same lodges and are in the same groups, They are indeed in bed together so make no mistake about it, None of them will make sure you get the education you need to overthrow them and they all want you to either fear or depend on them.

17 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Idk how accurate this is, but it provides a pretty cool breakdown if you scroll down

http://verdantlabs.com/politics_of_professions/

Engineering seems pretty even when you expand it out.

Again, I'm used to no one really caring about politics. I don't think any of my friends are active Dems or Reps. And when it comes up, the most common thread is age. Where, to me, common sense stuff like legalizing weed, is agreed upon. I hang with a group that is pretty well educated (and I'm sure someone is gonna jump on that), so maybe that adds to it. Not just saying we should do something because we've always done it. Looking at facts, not other nonsense. But maybe one day I'll be the older person shaking my first at social changes because they're different. I hope not. Either from continued education, a further interconnected world, or just my own personality. Who knows.

That was a great chart Woody thanks. I'm surprised by physician in general and I would have thought engineering would lean a little bit more to the right. But probably politics plays very little role and doing that job. As far as you changing some opinions when you get older? I bet you will. I did. Has pretty far left when I was in high school and college, really hated Nixon. We supported Eugene McCarthy and John Anderson etc etc. I guess as time goes by I became more and more disappointed but the people who I thought were just downtrodden and Ill used were also scumbags. Went to church even went to church camp but even though it was a fairly conservative denomination we all loved her brothers and prayed for sinners if there were sinners to be prayed for. Looking back I think that was more social than anything else, kids and friends who hung out together searching for something to make sense of things that don't make sense.

One point that you made how about not wanting to do something just because we've always done it that way is the flip side of the coin of demanding we change something just for the hell of it.

WSS

6 hours ago, medicineman said:

Most people need to understand that the "argument" between the Left and Right is nothing more than a distraction for the people. The people in charge are always going to do what they think is best for them not the other way around. They all go to the same lodges and are in the same groups, They are indeed in bed together so make no mistake about it, None of them will make sure you get the education you need to overthrow them and they all want you to either fear or depend on them.

Well I don't know about that. We are all free to get all the education we want or need. In the end it doesn't matter and it's not a great conspiracy. Some people fall into the profession of running things and most of us are too lazy, or not interested in offhand politics to bother changing it. In the end what's the difference? People naturally distrust each other and argue and fight. Most of us are just too civilized to beat each other with clubs so we do it with words. But as far as fighting the power structure? To what end? Like if a dog is barking and chasing your car pull over open the door and toss in the Keys. 

WSS

I get what you are saying Steve, But when I say change I mean a change in the system not the same cowpoop with new faces and new people doing the same cowpoop and getting away with what they want while we the people just bend over and take it. How is Hillary NOT IN JAIL? How is 9/11 not being told the truth? The Tower 7? The Vegas shooting? All school shootings but Colimbine have sketchy stories etc. 1 has to really be stupid if they think our Government is not behind most of if not all of the cowpoop

1 hour ago, medicineman said:

I get what you are saying Steve, But when I say change I mean a change in the system not the same cowpoop with new faces and new people doing the same cowpoop and getting away with what they want while we the people just bend over and take it. How is Hillary NOT IN JAIL? How is 9/11 not being told the truth? The Tower 7? The Vegas shooting? All school shootings but Colimbine have sketchy stories etc. 1 has to really be stupid if they think our Government is not behind most of if not all of the cowpoop

Oh geez

Starts off alright and then deteriorates

Can't really get on board with any of these conspiracy theories. We can't get 10 people on a city council to agree on anything let alone millions of people to orchestrate something of that nature.

I was recently talking with a fellow on Facebook who actually believes there's a simple cure for cancer but the pharmaceutical and medical industry are keeping it a secret. 🤣

As far as education being too expensive seems like a damn good deal to me if you are smart enough to take out a loan for something you need to make a good living. Don't be an idiot and go $25,000 in the hole for an art appreciation degree, or theater for that matter.

I would think the reason that college graduates are more attractive to employers is it they've gone through the crap and learned the stuff and did the work and put in the time to get the degree. Or people who have gotten a degree in something you really need a degree to do . Not only that but anybody with half a brain should be able to get good enough grades in high school to qualify for a loan or a grant. You are in the whole for less than the price of a car. Big deal if you're going to be an engineer.

If you are going to be a barista, save the money.

WSS

Archived