THE BROWNS BOARD

Latest Pluto

Westside Steve

14 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Steve, I really like Pluto even though he really never explained what specific football event with a defense on the field changed his mind about Allen. And while nobody will confuse Mayfield with prototypical size - he's way closer to 6'1" than he is the 5'11" convicted him of.

I think we have 3 really good QBs we can choose from and Josh Allen isn't 1 of them.  I've been wrong before but I'm usually right when I feel a QB is getting way overrated.  When there's defenses on the field - Josh Allen wasn't getting ANY interest from Major DI programs whatsoever.  And in 2016 he threw 15 INTs against 2nd rate DBs and pass rushers while he only threw a ho-hum 16 TD passes in 2017.  What am I missing here? 

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

Steve, I really like Pluto even though he really never explained what specific football event with a defense on the field changed his mind about Allen. And while nobody will confuse Mayfield with prototypical size - he's way closer to 6'1" than he is the 5'11" convicted him of.

I think we have 3 really good QBs we can choose from and Josh Allen isn't 1 of them.  I've been wrong before but I'm usually right when I feel a QB is getting way overrated.  When there's defenses on the field - Josh Allen wasn't getting ANY interest from Major DI programs whatsoever.  And in 2016 he threw 15 INTs against 2nd rate DBs and pass rushers while he only threw a ho-hum 16 TD passes in 2017.  What am I missing here

An NFL QB? Ya!

Pluto nailed our wr position pretty well.  We still cannot count on Gordon and his attitude.  And all of the others haven't produced.  

As for QB, I want the guy with the least to fix.  Rosen. And he's the most familiar with the pro game.   - I'd settle for Darnold.

The other two QB's remind me of past Browns QB's in certain ways.  Allen = Derick Alexander.  Big strong arm.  But throws at the feet of receivers crossing 5 yards in front of him.  And Mayfield = Manziel.  A Socky little guy.  

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Mayfield = Manziel.  A Socky little guy.  

well, have we heard of any pool scenes with pink flamingos? how bout rolled up dollar bills? Manziel played 26 college games.Manziel may not make it to 48 total games on his total resume? Baker has. with 634 more attempts,431 were caught. Still maintaining roughly the same completion rate as Johnny's college career..68.5%. I get it, none of it matters if X player is not being accountable off the field..But to Baker on the field? sorry,but am not seeing ManHell nor Johnny Unitas either..

4 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

sorry,but am not seeing

Obviously the Mayfield - Manziel comparison is not fair in ways of working hard on the x's and o's and watching film.  Mayfield works hard at football.  Johnny did not.  And Johnny has more and other off field issues.  But Mayfield has his share + of personal issues.  Ideally, the QB has to be a good player, and a good face for your team.  -  I don't feel comfortable going the Mayfield route.

In my case at first glance I saw Manziel 2.0 in Mayfield onfield both in play and misguided "competitiveness". And of course Baker's arrest did nothing to dissuade an off-field comparison. However, upon further review...

Beyond being "short" onfield they are really nothing alike. The faster, more elusive JFF was the superior scrambler/runner, but Baker is the better QB. Baker simply spent far more time operating within the Offense that he ran. Admittedly Manziel does not set the "within the Offense" bar high, but Mayfield clears it by a wide margin.

This is my Mayfield paradox... if he's not going to elude and extend like Manziel, then he's not going to play like Wilson or Talyor, who both are faster and quicker than JFF. So he's going to have to play more like Brees... and I am not sure he's capable of that.

3 hours ago, Flugel said:

... while nobody will confuse Mayfield with prototypical size - he's way closer to 6'1" than he is the 5'11" convicted him of.

Yet he'd be taller than our starter he'd sit behind.

Well Brees was not even Brees immediately. It took time to be the consummate pro that could pick apart a defense. Mayfield might have the ability to become that kind of QB if given time. But then again so could the taller Rosen who already has been playing in a pro offense. I just wish he had not already had so many concussions.

Hmmm... What would be the perfect draft? There are multiple ways about accomplishing this- however, every one of them include picking Saquon Barkley #1 Overall. Just as you all agreed last year, you can't pass on talent like Garrett- you now can't pass on what I believe is an even greater IMPACT player in Saquon Barkley.

So here's my shot at a perfect draft

Option 1- 

1- Barkley

4- Mayfield

-then take the best players at the top of the 2nd that fall out of the first round because teams drafted for NEED instead of BPA.

We'll go into the season with the best WRs and RBs the NFL has to offer. An intriguing veteran QB and an up and comer in the wings. BPA in the 2nd should give us someftr impact players at other key areas and we should expect no less than playoff contention next year.

Option 2 -

Saquon Barkley #1

Bradley Chubb #4

-Trade our 2nd round and possibly more to get back into the the top 10 to get one of the other Qbs that we like. Mainly one of the top 4 guys if they fall a little. 

- If the Browns don't take a QB at 1 or 4, there should be one left for us to trade back up to get.

Option 3- 

#1 Barkley

#4 Chubb

#33 Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph 

- OT/OG/CB best available the rest of the way

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

In my case at first glance I saw Manziel 2.0 in Mayfield onfield both in play and misguided "competitiveness". And of course Baker's arrest did nothing to dissuade an off-field comparison. However, upon further review...

Beyond being "short" onfield they are really nothing alike. The faster, more elusive JFF was the superior scrambler/runner, but Baker is the better QB. Baker simply spent far more time operating within the Offense that he ran. Admittedly Manziel does not set the "within the Offense" bar high, but Mayfield clears it by a wide margin.

This is my Mayfield paradox... if he's not going to elude and extend like Manziel, then he's not going to play like Wilson or Talyor, who both are faster and quicker than JFF. So he's going to have to play more like Brees... and I am not sure he's capable of that.

I never understood the comparison to Manziel - on the field - to Mayfield either. 

IMO, a better comp to Manziel would be Penn State's Trace McSorley. 

2 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Thie ideal draft would be to take Barkely at #1, trade down and take Black Tarkenton. It would make me right on the pick, and on BT. I would be unbearable all year long and this board would have no peace.  Zomblow would sew up his vagina.

Barclays best skill is waving pom-pomsBarclays best skill is waving pom-poms

1 hour ago, PoeticG said:

Hmmm... What would be the perfect draft? There are multiple ways about accomplishing this- however, every one of them include picking Saquon Barkley #1 Overall. Just as you all agreed last year, you can't pass on talent like Garrett- you now can't pass on what I believe is an even greater IMPACT player in Saquon Barkley.

Option 1- 

1- Barkley

4- Mayfield

-then take the best players at the top of the 2nd that fall out of the first round because teams drafted for NEED instead of BPA.

We'll go into the season with the best WRs and RBs the NFL has to offer. An intriguing veteran QB and an up and comer in the wings. BPA in the 2nd should give us someftr impact players at other key areas and we should expect no less than playoff contention next year.

Option 2 -

Saquon Barkley #1

Bradley Chubb #4

-Trade our 2nd round and possibly more to get back into the the top 10 to get one of the other Qbs that we like. Mainly one of the top 4 guys if they fall a little. 

- If the Browns don't take a QB at 1 or 4, there should be one left for us to trade back up to get.

Option 3- 

#1 Barkley

#4 Chubb

#33 Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph 

Barkley is nothing but a merengue dancer. He would be better off competing with Torville and Dean in ice dancing

I like to read Pluto the crux of this week's column:

The rookie quarterback situation is one big crap shoot. But regardless of who is under center they still need someone to throw it to:

......You can build the case for Gordon actually having a training camp followed by a regular season for the first time since 2013 getting him in game shape. He dropped only one pass last season, he caught one TD pass. But it's hard to build any plans around Gordon. He still should be viewed as a bonus.

The other receivers are Corey Coleman, Rashard Higgins and Ricardo Louis. Coleman has broken a hand in each of the last two seasons. According to PFF, he had four drops in nine games. Louis dropped seven passes. Higgins only dropped two passes, but wasn't very productive. No one in that group inspires any confidence....

More drama than what's on the Young & the Restless every week. Should be an interesting draft and 2018 season. 

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Good points- and my reasons for extreme aversion to Mazziel pre-draft were not only the party boy stuff. On field, a large part of Johnny's offense was- when in doubt, chuck it up to Mike Evans in triple coverage, and hope he can make a play on the ball. Or tuck and run if he didn't see anyone open. Accuracy dropped way off rolling to his left. 

1 hour ago, PoeticG said:

Option 1- 

1- Barkley Mayfield

4- Mayfield Chubb

Option 2 -

Saquon Barkley #1 Sam Darnold

Bradley Chubb #4

Option 3- 

#1 Barkley Josh Rosen

#4 Chubb

#33 Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph  Guice, Michel, or Penny

FIFY.   Still dreaming of Barkley at #1? It's not happening. 

28 minutes ago, hoorta said:

FIFY.   Still dreaming of Barkley at #1? It's not happening. 

You yourself just posted 3 different Qbs that you would consider a perfect draft. Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield. You are going to get one at 4 and Camp Barkley is going to get our guy at #1. 

This isn't a Sock-measuring competition, both the RB pick and the QB pick are going to be pivot able for our future. Barkley is useful now, and he'll be even more valuable(stronger, faster and smarter)when your guy is ready to step in. It's going to be a win/win for the Browns... don't get caught up in semantics. We can't gift Barkley to the Giants. He's going to be the talk of the NFL all season, and our offense is going to the top!

6 hours ago, PoeticG said:

You yourself just posted 3 different Qbs that you would consider a perfect draft. Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield. You are going to get one at 4 and Camp Barkley is going to get our guy at #1. 

This isn't a Sock-measuring competition, both the RB pick and the QB pick are going to be pivot able for our future. Barkley is useful now, and he'll be even more valuable(stronger, faster and smarter)when your guy is ready to step in. It's going to be a win/win for the Browns... don't get caught up in semantics. We can't gift Barkley to the Giants. He's going to be the talk of the NFL all season, and our offense is going to the top!

I got $100 that says the Browns don't draft Barkley at #1. Time's a tickin'...

We've needed a QB for almost 20 years.  We didn't win ANY games last year because we couldn't throw TD passes.  And yet some say we should draft the best RB in the draft class at #1...and NOT the best QB.  :unsure:

IMO there are only two QB's that we should draft.  Rosen & Darnold.  Neither will be there at pick #4.  But most probably the RB that some will have us draft at #1, will be there at #4.  The RB isn't gonna throw any TD passes.

10 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

My feeling is if Mayfield was a inch or two taller, the only QB discussion would be which QB  gets selected after Baker Mayfield.  I don't let a few inches keep me from selecting the best QB.

14 hours ago, Flugel said:

I think we have 3 really good QBs we can choose from and Josh Allen isn't 1 of them.  I've been wrong before but I'm usually right when I feel a QB is getting way overrated.  When there's defenses on the field - Josh Allen wasn't getting ANY interest from Major DI programs whatsoever.  And in 2016 he threw 15 INTs against 2nd rate DBs and pass rushers while he only threw a ho-hum 16 TD passes in 2017.  What am I missing here? 

People that are moving to the Josh Allen idea are being swayed by his physical tools, IMO.  I think after watching MONTHS of video, workouts, and game film, after a while...you just start to fall in love with a guy who can throw it a country mile.  The problem is, that doesn't mean SQUAT in the NFL.  I want to know who can THINK the fastest, who can process the quickest, who can get the ball out to the RIGHT GUY consistently, who can deliver it IN STRIDE, and many other qualities that have nothing to do with how much zip the ball has on it.  Josh Allen terrifies me.  Now, for what it's worth, I BELIEVE Josh Allen had the highest Wonderlic test by far out of the top QB prospects.  Something like a 36.  I'm not sure if there's really a correlation to high Wonderlic vs high performance, but I did find it interesting.

The Browns WRs havent shown anything because Kizer couldnt throw the ball to the guys with orange helmets other than Duke and Crowell.

2017 Kizer - 22 ints and a 53% completion rate.

2017 Taylor - 4 ints and a 63% completion rate.

A 59% catch rate was substandard and the low end for the 2017 Buffalo WRs.

A 59% catch rate would have been outstanding and the pinnacle for the 2017 Cleveland WRs. No Browns WR with more than 5 passing attempts came close to 59%.

I will bet money that there will be improvement with the WRs besides Gordon already on the roster.

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

People that are moving to the Josh Allen idea are being swayed by his physical tools, IMO.  I think after watching MONTHS of video, workouts, and game film, after a while...you just start to fall in love with a guy who can throw it a country mile.  The problem is, that doesn't mean SQUAT in the NFL.  I want to know who can THINK the fastest, who can process the quickest, who can get the ball out to the RIGHT GUY consistently, who can deliver it IN STRIDE, and many other qualities that have nothing to do with how much zip the ball has on it.  Josh Allen terrifies me.  Now, for what it's worth, I BELIEVE Josh Allen had the highest Wonderlic test by far out of the top QB prospects.  Something like a 36.  I'm not sure if there's really a correlation to high Wonderlic vs high performance, but I did find it interesting.

Mayfields college play means nothing in the NFL too.

Sam Bradford looked like a sure bet too.

13 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Thie ideal draft would be to take Barkely at #1, trade down and take Black Tarkenton. It would make me right on the pick, and on BT. I would be unbearable all year long and this board would have no peace.  Zomblow would sew up his vagina.

Barkley will be a beast in the right program.

12 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I like to read Pluto the crux of this week's column:

The rookie quarterback situation is one big crap shoot. But regardless of who is under center they still need someone to throw it to:

......You can build the case for Gordon actually having a training camp followed by a regular season for the first time since 2013 getting him in game shape. He dropped only one pass last season, he caught one TD pass. But it's hard to build any plans around Gordon. He still should be viewed as a bonus.

The other receivers are Corey Coleman, Rashard Higgins and Ricardo Louis. Coleman has broken a hand in each of the last two seasons. According to PFF, he had four drops in nine games. Louis dropped seven passes. Higgins only dropped two passes, but wasn't very productive. No one in that group inspires any confidence....

More drama than what's on the Young & the Restless every week. Should be an interesting draft and 2018 season. 

Did Pluto forget about Landry....or was this written before the Landry trade was made?

10 hours ago, PoeticG said:

His  name was Saquon, he was a showgirl
With yellow feathers in his  hair and a dress cut down to there
He would merengue and do the cha-cha
And while he tried to be a star
Tony always tended bar
Across the crowded floor, they worked from eight til four
They were young and they had each other
Who could ask for more?
At the copa (co) Copacabana (Copacabana)
The hottest spot north of Havana (here)
At the copa (co) Copacabana
Music and passion were always the fashion
At the copa they fell in love
Copa, Copacabana
His name was PoG
He wore a diamond
He was escorted to his chair, he saw Saquon dancing there
And when he finished, he called her over
But PoG went a bit too far
Tony sailed across the bar
And then the punches flew and chairs were smashed in two

5 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I got $100 that says the Browns don't draft Barkley at #1. Time's a tickin'...

I think Dutch is so confident that he will put some odds on it put up $100 and he'll pay $150 if Barkley is picked ##1 by the Cleveland Browns. 

.......and I will volunteer to hold the money until after the draft for a small fee. :lol:

Archived