Sign in to follow this  
darren15

Positions we need to cover with the 9 picks

I know BPA is important but of all the positions we have on the team which ones do we need to cover with the 9 picks ......for me in order 

QB

OT

CB

WR

DE

RB

DT

ILB

S

Started an ordered list, but stopped. It's just a step too far towards "drafting for need" for my taste. What I will do is list a couple areas where we do not need to focus... and they are S and OL.

Mission 1 is QB... have to get it right or nothing else will matter.

Except for the above two areas I am good with BPA across the rest of the positions. But even then should a circumstance arise where the clear BPA is a Safety or OL and the alternatives are not even close, I'd take an OT or S.

• Upvote 1

Positions? I'll keep this clean..the only tight end I want to see is the barmaids :wub: bringing Alcohol for my nerves.. seems crazy, but the browns started with 14 picks this draft. We sit with 9 but only 3 come to us as our original picks 1.1(well earned),2.1 & 6.1..#1)QB has to be our best pick.period. am hoping we can address DE/CB/WR/S/RB/DT ..ummm, guess i can give up 2 picks towards quality or maybe grab a falling LB by giving up 1..   

I did overlook TE...

11 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Started an ordered list, but stopped. It's just a step too far towards "drafting for need" for my taste. What I will do is list a couple areas where we do not need to focus... and they are S and OL.

Mission 1 is QB... have to get it right or nothing else will matter.

Except for the above two areas I am good with BPA across the rest of the positions. But even then should a circumstance arise where the clear BPA is a Safety or OL and the alternatives are not even close, I'd take an OT or S.

If Randall goes to FS and Peppers to SS then CB becomes the real need, not S IMO. A lot of good CB's this year so I see no reason not to do it that way.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

then CB becomes the real need, not S IMO. A lot of good CB's this year so I see no reason not to do it that way.

am not sure we have helped ourself's in size of height at CB? Have we missed on the size of corners compared to the height of the WR's in division(steelqueens)? sure they can vert. jump but at a look our tallest corners is Wilson & Carrie at 6'1 & 6 foot..most of our projected starters 5'11 to 5'9"..who's climbing the ladder with JuJu or AJ? CB's Josh Jackson/Carlton Davis/I.Oliver all stand 6'1"

True, gum, but you know that height is only part of the "measure" of a DB. Arm length and vert are factors as well.

11 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Arm length and vert are factors as well.

seems like those 2 factors don't come into play as much anymore..sure there a factor.. but if their arm grabbed or pushed off on. without the respect of getting a call, they become a lesser factor with all the free hand fighting anymore. hope they get to finalizing some of these new rules..if they pass the new mugging a WR plan? that won't help   

It's kind of strange but once the picked names go up on the board all of the needs/wants/BPA lists get skewed around a bit.

Kind of like our FL drafts the big D'OH moment right before your pick is up.

Other than QB, I don't think we should draft to cover positions.

It will work out early on that we can draft good players and still cover some positions.

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Other than QB, I don't think we should draft to cover positions.

It will work out early on that we can draft good players and still cover some positions.

It is one of the reasons that Chubb is still a potential candidate.  One could say that the Browns have the DE position covered....and that they should go elsewhere.....but getting another superior talent at a position that may already be considered a strength can be considered a way to make that particular unit totally dominant. 

One thing the Browns could use is complete dominance at one unit,  be it RB, WR, OL, DL, LBs, DBs.   

I guess a similar argument could be made for taking Barkley.   (though I joke about him being a cheerleader whose best skills are with pom poms...that is just to get the goat of the Barkley Drool Crew).   If he is the talent people think he is...and you join him with Duke and Hyde....then you should, by all rights, have a totally dominant run game/pass catching out of the backfield game.   The difference is that with DE/DL...you can have all your "stars"  have impact on the same play potentially...where on the offense, only one guy gets to carry/catch the ball on a play.  It is never bad to be overloaded with weaponry....but it is a fact that only one guy has the ball at a time. ...as opposed to defense.