THE BROWNS BOARD

Landry to sign extension

LondonBrown

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jarvis Landry is 1 of 3 players w/at least 400 receptions over the last 4 season. The top 2 guys, Antonio Brown & Julio Jones, have taken home at least $40M in that time, while Landry has been paid just under $3.5M throughout the time of his 4-yr rookie deal he signed in 2014....

BIG raise ..... Dorsey the cap killer is back :)

Maybe he will be utilized more in the BROWNS offensive system than before no matter what the BROWNS are all in and he must be one happy guy:

By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com (just updated 12:09 pm)

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Browns are in the process of making Jarvis Landry the highest paid slot receiver in the NFL.

They're close to finalizing a blockbuster extension for the three-time Pro Bowl receiver worth about $15.1 million a year, a league source confirmed for cleveland.com.

ESPN's Josina Anderson first reported the deal is close.

The extension would make Landry the fifth-highest paid receiver overall, and the highest for an inside receiver. It's for five years and $75.5 million, including $47 million, according to NFL Network.

1 hour ago, LondonBrown said:

I was hoping he was. A bridge player while we get things figured out but it seems he’s far from that. 

015B6B15-8EF5-471D-9796-6E2D7F5B9CD2.jpeg

I don't know about "Catch Spot".....but I can tell you this....he averages a First Down every time he catches the ball:

Receiving & Rushing

Games Receiving Rushing        
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Rush Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G YScm RRTD Fmb AV
Career       64 57 570 400 4038 10.1 22 71 6.3 63.1   26 119 1 22 4.6 1.9 0.4 4157 23 14 33
2014 22 MIA WR 14 16 11 112 84 758 9.0 5 25 5.3 47.4 75.0% 2 -4 0 4 -2.0 -0.3 0.1 754 5 7 7
2015* 23 MIA WR 14 16 14 166 110 1157 10.5 4 50 6.9 72.3 66.3% 18 113 1 22 6.3 7.1 1.1 1270 5 1 9
2016* 24 MIA WR 14 16 16 131 94 1136 12.1 4 71 5.9 71.0 71.8% 5 17 0 13 3.4 1.1 0.3 1153 4 2 10
2017* 25 MIA WR 14 16 16 161 112 987 8.8 9 49 7.0 61.7 69.6% 1 -7 0 -7 -7.0 -0.4 0.1 980 9 4 7

That is 10.1 yards per reception...for his career.   So....fuyuck whomever is griping about "catch spot".   He was brought in to be a possession receiver...not a home run hitter.   We are supposed to have those in Gordon and Coleman

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

I don't know about "Catch Spot".....but I can tell you this....he averages a First Down every time he catches the ball:

Receiving & Rushing

Games Receiving Rushing        
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Rush Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G YScm RRTD Fmb AV
Career       64 57 570 400 4038 10.1 22 71 6.3 63.1   26 119 1 22 4.6 1.9 0.4 4157 23 14 33
2014 22 MIA WR 14 16 11 112 84 758 9.0 5 25 5.3 47.4 75.0% 2 -4 0 4 -2.0 -0.3 0.1 754 5 7 7
2015* 23 MIA WR 14 16 14 166 110 1157 10.5 4 50 6.9 72.3 66.3% 18 113 1 22 6.3 7.1 1.1 1270 5 1 9
2016* 24 MIA WR 14 16 16 131 94 1136 12.1 4 71 5.9 71.0 71.8% 5 17 0 13 3.4 1.1 0.3 1153 4 2 10
2017* 25 MIA WR 14 16 16 161 112 987 8.8 9 49 7.0 61.7 69.6% 1 -7 0 -7 -7.0 -0.4 0.1 980 9 4 7

That is 10.1 yards per reception...for his career.   So....fuyuck whomever is griping about "catch spot".   He was brought in to be a possession receiver...not a home run hitter.   We are supposed to have those in Gordon and Coleman

We are paying him more than Julio Jones to be a possession receiver in the slot?

Something Duke can do just as well and has far more after catch ability, there is no way he is worth this money. 

So we've won slot receiver?

We need to see the deal structure... guaranteed money is likely packed into the first three years effectively making that the contract length in case of an injury induced performance decline. Other than that I think he's shown a pretty rare consistency that worth paying for.

Until we have a franchise QB coming off his rookie contract, it'll be hard to kill our cap. Prior to that happening only a developed Garrett and Njoku are likely to back up the truck.

The Cleveland Browns added a slot receiver that defenses love when they acquired Jarvis Landry from the Miami Dolphins.

Fans and media alike declared the Cleveland Browns back upon seeing the news that the Browns traded for Jarvis Landry from the Miami Dolphins. The Browns valiantly fended off the Baltimore Ravens and no one else for the services of a slot receiver that puts up a lot of empty calories, but doesn’t make a meaningful difference for a team.

Landry has caught 400 passes over his first four seasons and made the Pro Bowl three times. These are impressive feats, but there’s a reason they have happened and it’s not because Landry is a great receiver. It’s largely because it’s a winning formula for the other team.

A defensive staff is preparing to take on the Browns for the week. Right away they have to figure out how to account for Josh Gordon. He’s a gamebreaker that is a threat to score on almost any play. David Njoku is a 250-pound tight end that runs like a gazelle. If they don’t account for him, he can break a big play and score. Duke Johnson is a matchup problem who’s really dangerous after the catch.

Who’s worried about Landry in the slot? No one. Herein lies the problem. Landry officially becomes the least athletic skill player on the team. Less athletic than Dan Vitale, the team’s fullback. Less athletic than Tyrod Taylor, the team’s new starting quarterback.

So even if Landry catches the ball, he’s not really a threat after the catch, averaging 5.1 yards yards after the catch per reception over his career. Factoring in the fact his overall average per reception is 10, that means Landry is catching the ball basically five yards past the line of scrimmage.

A defense can have a linebacker or slot corner take care of that effectively. Or just drop into a soft zone and then tackle him after he catches it. Unless he goes deeper down the field, he’s not a huge concern. There is quite literally no one a defense would rather have with the ball in their hands, because he is the least threatening.

They have to stop Gordon, make sure Njoku is accounted for, deal with players like Duke and Coleman, even if it’s just a single player matching up on them. Teams will let Landry catch the ball, because he’s not threatening. They don’t want to let him run free, but they’ll let him catch a five yard pass and then tackle him short of the first down.

For his career, 54.5 percent of the time Landry catches the ball, he gets a first down. By comparison, Seth DeValve has converted 65 percent of his receptions for first downs in his first two seasons. He does that while being almost 40 pounds heavier, more athletic and averaging more per reception.

Just by the numbers, if a defense plays good run defense and makes sure no one else kills them in the passing game, they’re going to get off the field basically in two sets of downs. Landry piles up numbers over the course of the game, which look good on a stat sheet, but mean little in terms of impacting the game, because the opponent is happy to let him get the ball and just tackle him, forcing them to punt it away.

In games Landry led the Dolphins in receiving yards, they notched a 7-15 over the course of his four year career. Their overall record over that span is 30-35, so they are 23-20 in games where anyone else leads the team in receiving yards. It’s a simple formula. Make Landry beat you.

No defensive coordinator is worried about Landry. As long as teams are throwing the ball to Landry, they aren’t throwing the ball to difference makers that can actually win the game, can force the offense to punt the ball away and ultimately win the game. Landry gets a trip to Hawaii and the team ends up going 5-11.

Meanwhile, quarterbacks want to complete passes. So when Gordon or Njoku are covered but might have opportunities, the quarterback may just go ahead and complete the sure thing in the wide open Landry underneath that gets tackled short of the sticks. It looks good on his stat sheet. Unfortunately, the offense goes nowhere. It’s a trap and most quarterbacks will fall into it.

Landry is getting paid just shy of $16 million to be the guy no one fears this season. In a vacuum, it’s as unimportant as the money paid to Brock Osweiler last year, but there should be zero talk of a contract extension. Landry would be a fool to take an extension to get paid what he’s actually worth. That would mean the Browns are prepared to give him about $10 million per year, which is utterly insane for what he’s actually doing.

The best case scenario for the Cleveland Browns is that Landry plays out this year, racks up a ton of yardage and goes to the Pro Bowl again. At that point, the Browns let him walk and some other team gives him the contact they’ll regret the Browns are hopefully too smart to offer.  The Browns effectively get back what they paid to get to obtain Landry in the form of compensatory picks that can be used for more useful pieces to the team. If that’s the plan, it’s a brilliant one, but in the mean time, Jarvis Landry is the type of player that will put up numbers, but won’t win games.

An article I read a while back that has had me worried since and today sure didn't help

12 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Receiving & Rushing

Games Receiving Rushing        
2017* 25 MIA WR 14 16 16 161 112 987 8.8 9 49 7.0 61.7 69.6% 1 -7 0 -7 -7.0 -0.4 0.1 980 9 4  

Look a bit deeper, if you’re going to use stats you can’t use the most basic ones of all 

AB005EAE-5BB1-450B-AAB5-87F86C1867A1.jpeg

10 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

We are paying him more than Julio Jones to be a possession receiver in the slot?

Something Duke can do just as well and has far more after catch ability, there is no way he is worth this money. 

Duke can now go back to doing what he does:  be a running back.  

I mean...I truly do NOT give one shite about the fuyucking money.....why should you?   As long as the money the FO is using gets us productive players...who cares? 

What I see are multiple threats.....Duke,  Landry, Njoku doing interior duty.   Gordon and Coleman doing exterior duty.  Putting weapons all over the field....and hopefully having a couple of competent  QBs feeding these weapons.

Antonio Brown set the bar for WR. OBJ wants more. Julio Jones will be re-upped. We get a four time pro bowl WR, and now guys want to bitch we're paying him too much. 

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

Duke can now go back to doing what he does:  be a running back.  

I mean...I truly do NOT give one shite about the fuyucking money.....why should you?   As long as the money the FO is using gets us productive players...who cares? 

What I see are multiple threats.....Duke,  Landry, Njoku doing interior duty.   Gordon and Coleman doing exterior duty.  Putting weapons all over the field....and hopefully having a couple of competent  QBs feeding these weapons.

Duke hasn't been used much as a RB since he has been here, we should be using him in the Landry role. 

Landry has good numbers because other teams let him catch the ball, he isn't much of a threat at all. This is a horrible deal for the Browns.

3 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Antonio Brown set the bar for WR. OBJ wants more. Julio Jones will be re-upped. We get a four time pro bowl WR, and now guys want to bitch we're paying him too much. 

Pro bowl means jack Sheet to me tbh, lots eligible for it don't even play in the game

An article I read a while back that has had me worried since and today sure didn't help

Worried?   Has me excited.  We have outside weapons...Gordon/Coleman (hopefully), that have to be accounted for.  We have other athletic weapons:  Duke, Njoku....who also have to be accounted for.  

And you have the 4th or 5th  DB on the opponent covering Landry?   That's is beautiful.   You know what it says to me?:

1 hour ago, LondonBrown said:
@JoshFin 6m6 minutes ago

More

Just in: Guy lambasted for a career of not being good with the cap does things that are bad for the cap

....... and we've all seen just how good a team can be when a guy is awesome at the cap - unless you like 1-31 / 0-16.

But hey, we're went 4-0 in pre-season last year, so there's that. 

1 minute ago, D Bone said:

....... and we've all seen just how good a team can be when a guy is awesome at the cap - unless you like 1-31 / 0-16.

But hey, we're went 4-0 in pre-season last year, so there's that. 

Simple way of looking at it but ok

3 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Duke hasn't been used much as a RB since he has been here, we should be using him in the Landry role. 

Landry has good numbers because other teams let him catch the ball, he isn't much of a threat at all. This is a horrible deal for the Browns.

Well...NOW Duke WILL be used as a RB....and as a pass catching RB.  And hell no....we should NOT be using him in the Landry role....we should use him in the Duke role.   A role:   pass catching RB....that has been played by many, many productive players.

And not a threat?  A threat to do what? Go 75 yards?  Perhaps not....but he is a threat to do this:

(just keep hearing Red Cashion say it over and over again in your mind:

FIRST DOWN

FIRST DOWN

FIRST DOWN

FIRST DOWN

FIRST DOWN

FIRST DOWN

FIRST DOWN 

FIRST DOWN

FIRST DOWN

FIRST DOWN

2 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Simple way of looking at it but ok

I'll let those much smarter than me debate cap space and contract structure and I'll just focus on the final score of the next game - regular and post-season game that is.  

23 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

While I "get" the article... if Ds are going to let Landry have 5-yard passes, then I'll take two and move the chains.

4 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

While I "get" the article... if Ds are going to let Landry have 5-yard passes, then I'll take two and move the chains.

Well....they give him 5 yards...then he takes another  5.1.....and moves the chain on just one.   10.1 ypc average

FIRST DOWN

FIRST DOWN

FIRST DOWN

112 TIMES LAST YEAR.  How many first downs did the entire Browns team get all year?

In checking....the entire Browns team got 254 first downs, rushing and receiving  (not including penalties)

15 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

I do agree with this. We have not maximized Duke's impact the way he has been used.

Kid still has the prettiest catch of anyone since he's been on the roster not involving use of body parts other than those called "hands".

12 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I do agree with this. We have not maximized Duke's impact the way he has been used.

Kid still has the prettiest catch of anyone since he's been on the roster not involving use of body parts other than those called "hands".

He’s an awesome player our usage of him has been a joke 

I think all of us expected to overpay some players in order to keep them in the dumpster fire Cleveland has been lately. In 2 or 3 years we can cut him. 

The more the weapons, the better. 

14 minutes ago, Nero said:

I think all of us expected to overpay some players in order to keep them in the dumpster fire Cleveland has been lately. In 2 or 3 years we can cut him. 

The more the weapons, the better. 

We traded for him 

We traded for him 

True, but still would expect to have to cough up a premium to keep him.

He hasn't even had time to learn to love us as Collins did in a similar trade/sign situation.

We traded for him 

A forth and a seven to put ourselves in the top of negotiations is a fair price, mostly when we have a thousand of picks and already the youngest roster in the league. 

Archived