THE BROWNS BOARD

40 years Worth of #1 Overall QBs

Tour2ma

Just now, 7moses7 said:

Jamarcus Russell was just to stupid 

... or talented. He was just such an outstanding athlete at every level he never had to work at his craft. When he met his match in the NFL it was too late.

Jeff George is the one that really mystifies and frustrates me. He threw the prettiest ball I think I've ever seen. He just never mastered the position for whatever reason.

10 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

The Browns fan in me says "there have been no straight out busts since 2007 ... Oh no, we're due for one!"

But the optimist in me says we finally grab the guy that surpasses all expectations and makes the 23 years in the desert worth the wait.

Jeff George had a great arm but didn't play well with others and clashed with authority. Not good traits for a QB.

Zombo

11 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

You only went back 30 years.   To go 40 you would have also had to pick up John Elway in 1983.

But, my how the worm has turned:

If you take the years between 1977 and 1986 you get this:

1 QB:  Elway

1 WR  Irving Fryar

1 LB  Tom Cousineau

2 DEs:  Bruce Smith, Ken Sims

5 RBs:  Ricky Bell,  Earl Campbell, Billy Sims, George Rogers,  Bo Jackson

But yet, now, we have not had a RB taken #1 overall in like 21 years.

10 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

... or talented. He was just such an outstanding athlete at every level he never had to work at his craft. When he met his match in the NFL it was too late.

Jeff George is the one that really mystifies and frustrates me. He threw the prettiest ball I think I've ever seen. He just never mastered the position for whatever reason.

Scot Mitchell and Jay Schroeder fall into that category as well as Jeff George...

Also, just FYI......the #1 overall pick has been either a QB, DE or OT  every single year since 1996

1996 Last WR taken #1 overall:  Keyshawn Johnson, WR

1995 was the last year a RB was #1:   Kijana Carter.

1994 was the last year a DT was #1:  Dan Wilkinson

1988 was the last year a LB (outside or inside) was taken #1:  Aundray Bruce

1956 was the last year a DB was taken #1:  Gary Glick

1948 was the last year an OC was taken #1:  Chuck Bednarik.....listed as OC/LB

NO  TE  or OG has ever been taken #1

7 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Also, just FYI......the #1 overall pick has been either a QB, DE or OT  every single year since 1996

1996 Last WR taken #1 overall:  Keyshawn Johnson, WR

1995 was the last year a RB was #1:   Kijana Carter.

1994 was the last year a DT was #1:  Dan Wilkinson

1988 was the last year a LB (outside or inside) was taken #1:  Aundray Bruce

1956 was the last year a DB was taken #1:  Gary Glick

1948 was the last year an OC was taken #1:  Chuck Bednarik.....listed as OC/LB

NO  TE  or OG has ever been taken #1

Oh god that's a scary list. I guess the best picks at #1 are the true skill (QB) or biggest need positions (DE or OT).

I wonder how the 2018 quarterback class will stack up over time? Ahhhh, that's why we love Draft Days!

2 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Oh god that's a scary list. I guess the best picks at #1 are the true skill (QB) or biggest need positions (DE or OT).

I wonder how the 2018 quarterback class will stack up over time? Ahhhh, that's why we love Draft Days!

Well....there was 1 Hall of Famer on that list.

Here are a few other notes:  

Of the 82  #1 overall picks since 1936, (not including AFL)   13 of them are in the HOF now.   Or  15.8%.   There is also one certain HOF not yet eligible:  Peyton Manning....and a couple of borderline:   Eli Manning/Carson Palmer.  

Plus, it is too early to tell likely about the last 10 or so:  there could be 1 or 2:   Newton looking the best so far.

The percentage would go up when you consider that two of the AFL Drafts  #1 overall picks are also in the HOF:

1963 Buck Buchanan

1965 Joe Namath

And that list of #1 overall going into the HOF:

Bill Dudley

Charley Trippi

Chuck Bednarik

Paul Hornung

Ron Yary

OJ Simpson

Terry Bradshaw

Leroy Selmon

Earl Campbell

John Elway

Bruce Smith

Troy Aikman

Orlando Pace

Plus Namath and Buchanan from AFL 

Green = QB

A lot of non-QBs in that list for a QB thread...

Speaking of QB lists here's an interesting one in a reddit post...

Speaking of unteachable size/throwing velocity, here's your list of 6'4"+ QBs who threw the ball 59+ mph at a combine or pro day:

Colin Kaepernick, Brandon Weeden, Tyler Bray, Logan Thomas, Cardale Jones (61 mph on sports science), Paxton Lynch, Davis Webb, Josh Rosen, and Josh Allen (62 mph)

Here are the teams that have, in the past selected multiple QBs with the #1 overall pick:

Baltimore/Indy  Colts:  5 QBs:  George Shaw, John Elway, Jeff George, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck

LA/St. Louis Rams:  4 QBs:  Bill Wade, Terry Baker, Sam Bradford, Jared Goff

Tampa Bay Bucs:  2 QBs:  Vinny Testaverde,  Jameis Winston

New England Patriots:  2 QBs:  Jim Plunkett,  Drew Bledsoe

Green Bay Packers:  2 QBs?:   Randy Duncan...and Paul Hornung...listed as a QB coming out of college but played RB in the pros

Atlanta Falcons:  2 QBs:   Steve Bartkowski,   Michael Vick

Cleveland Browns:  2 QBs...so far:   Bobby Garrett,  Tim Couch.   They will likely become the third team in history to have picked 3 or more with #1.

Here is the breakdown of positions of the #1 overall picks  (NFL only):

OC:  1.5   (Bednarik)

DB:  1

DE:  11

DT:  3

WR/E:  5

OT:  4

LB:  3.5  (Bednarik)

FB/HB/RB:  22

QB:  31

As highlighted earlier....of the 31 QBs taken #1....only 3 from the NFL draft had made the HOF:   Bradshaw/Elway/Aikman...plus another certain will come:  Peyton   (plus Namath from AFL)

Of the 22 RBs,   5 have made HOF:   Campbell, OJ,  Dudley, Trippi, Hornung

It's now less than 2 weeks 'til we find out who our QB of the future is.  It's been a long time since 1999.  We've tried the 'later in the round' thing.  We've tried the 'in later rounds' thing.  It's FINALLY time to take one at the TOP of the draft.  - kind of exciting.....

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Is "nerve-racking" the same thing?

Oh yes the pressure and expectations are sky high! Will the new quarterback #28 or #29 or whenever he starts be the rookie franchise savior that leads the BROWNS to the NFL promise land?

Oh god I'm hyperventilating and it's only Friday April 13th,  OMG.

11 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Is "nerve-racking" the same thing?

We've been 'conditioned' to expect failure so we have a fear of optimism and the conceived inevitable letdown to follow.

2012 3 Trent Richardson RB Alabama  
22 Brandon Weeden QB Oklahoma State  
2013 6 Barkevious Mingo OLB LSU  
2014 8 Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State  
22 Johnny Manziel QB Texas A&M  
2015 12 Danny Shelton DT Washington  
19 Cameron Erving C Florida State  
2016 15 Corey Coleman WR Baylor  
2017 1 Myles Garrett * DE Texas A&M  
25 Jabrill Peppers DB Michigan  
29 David Njoku TE Miami

I can't put my finger on why we've only won one game in the last couple of years....

Archived