THE BROWNS BOARD

How Can/Will The Browns Blow It? Or Not?

The Gipper

15 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

If the Browns could just draft a player like the legend that is Paxton Lynch. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Browns will blow it by spending a first-round pick on someone who wouldn't be a first-round in a year with great talent at that position.

Chubb is a second-round pick in next year's DE draft.. the DE's next year put Chubb to shame.  

Houston's Ed Oliver, Alabama's Raekwon Davis, Michigan's Rashan Gary, OSU's Bosa, and Clemson's entire defensive line are all on the board for 2019.

2 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

I think the Browns will blow it by spending a first-round pick on someone who wouldn't be a first-round in a year with great talent at that position.

Chubb is a second-round pick in next year's DE draft.. the DE's next year put Chubb to shame.  

Houston's Ed Oliver, Alabama's Raekwon Davis, Michigan's Rashan Gary, OSU's Bosa, and Clemson's entire defensive line are all on the board for 2019.

Pete and Re-Pete were in a boat.  Pete fell out. Who was left.    (yes, you are repeating yourself).  Again, I would like to see something that supports your theory.

But, FYI.....many have said that your first sentence up there would apply to ALL of the QBs in this draft.  That none of them should actually be considered before the second round....but they are only because they are QBs.

Everything is an unknown, First overall picks are a crap shoot as we know. Any of these QB's/RB's could be the next David Carr/J.Russell/K.Carter/T.Rich. So as to blowing the picks, good luck.Might have better luck on the Roulette tables. Pick BPA, and pray to the evil football gods that we finally get it right! Because they sure haven't been to kind these past 19 years. Yeah, and ownership sure hasn't put the pieces in place the past years to evaluate the talent. Hopefully this years a KISS draft, and we finally have started the process of building a competent front office that allows us to become contenders once again.

The thread that spawned an article... such as it is...

2018 NFL mock draft: The Browns are going to blow it, aren’t they?

More signs continue to point toward the Wyoming quarterback being the choice for the Cleveland Browns.
By Dan Kadar Apr 16, 2018, 7:34am EDT

From the article:

"1. Cleveland Browns: Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming

This would not be a smart pick. This would be a very Browns pick. However, as the draft approaches, there are more and more people connecting Allen to the Browns.

There’s been the friend of Browns General Manager John Dorsey saying it. Radio host Dan Patrick has said the Browns like Allen. NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah, the former scout with deep connections in the league, said “people that know people inside the Browns” think it’s Allen.

At this point, it would be a surprise if this is all just an elaborate smoke screen."

Dear God in heaven fire Dorsey now before he does this to us!

1 hour ago, LaDexter said:

If the Browns end up not getting Bradley Chubb, they blew it...

As long as they don't draft any secret Jews, right?

(This seems out of the blue, but trust me, it's funny. Just check the political board. Actually, don't. You'll be better off.)

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

(This seems out of the blue, but trust me, it's funny. Just check the political board. Actually, don't. You'll be better off.)

Josh Allen may be Jewish.   Many Jewish people have the name Allen:

Woody Allen

Mel Allen   Yankees Broadcaster

George Allen....football coach

George Allen...his son....US Senator

Steve Allen...comedian

Gracie Allen....as in Burns and Allen

Marty Allen...comedian

Phog Allen...basketball coach

Irwin Allen....director:  The Master of Disaster

Or, uhh, err...did you already cover this over there?

32 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Josh Allen may be Jewish.   Many Jewish people have the name Allen:

Woody Allen

Mel Allen   Yankees Broadcaster

George Allen....football coach

George Allen...his son....US Senator

Steve Allen...comedian

Gracie Allen....as in Burns and Allen

Marty Allen...comedian

Phog Allen...basketball coach

Irwin Allen....director:  The Master of Disaster

Or, uhh, err...did you already cover this over there?

They're probably working up to it

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

The thread that spawned an article... such as it is...

2018 NFL mock draft: The Browns are going to blow it, aren’t they?

More signs continue to point toward the Wyoming quarterback being the choice for the Cleveland Browns.
By Dan Kadar Apr 16, 2018, 7:34am EDT

i really hope all this Allen talk is an elaborate smoke screen to keep people guessing.  Why trade Kizer just to draft another inaccurate QB who needs tons of coaching? save the project QBs for later rounds and get Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield with the #1 pick.  Anyone other than one of those 3 at #1 and everyone will be talking about how the Browns browned up another draft. 

3 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

I can only imagine the level of stupidity over there. 

No. Thank. You. 

I think many of us are somewhat "scared" that we'll blow it in some way or another, but for me personally, a lot of that fear has been negated by the fact we now have a GM with experience.  A guy who has done it before, done it well, and has a ton of assets to work with.  Given our experience with trading down and missing out on potential blue-chippers, I seriously doubt we'll trade out of the #1 pick.  Now, #4 will almost certainly be a trade down in my crazy mind, but I don't expect it to be TOO far down.  Our staff has essentially said we're taking a QB first, and we've already turned down offers for a trade.  I'd LOVE to know what the details of those trades were, but you can bet teams will be coming with their very best offers as the draft begins.  Still, I don't see us moving out of #1.

My biggest fear is trying to get too cute and trading out of the #1 and somehow missing out on our "favorite" QB.  Even if we move anywhere from 2-5 and we draft a QB, I can still read the headlines in my head, "Browns wanted someone else, but settled for (enter name)."  We don't NEED to settle, and we don't NEED to trade down...not from #1.  Identify your favorite QB, draft him, and if you want to get cute, do so with the #4.  

My other fear?  Drafting Josh Allen.  This guy scares me to DEATH, and people can try and explain away his miserable completion percentage all they want, but his accuracy means "NO WAY" to me.  On the flip side, apparently Allen is extremely bright and did somewhat better on the "white board" than some expected, but Allen represents (to me) the biggest "boom or bust" candidate in the draft, and when you're the Browns, you can't choose that guy.  You have to pick the guy who you feel has the safest floor, and someone you feel strongly about starting for your team during the next 10 years.  I want Baker Mayfield, and that's not going to change.  I could care less about his height, as he rarely got passes knocked down in college, and he's scary accurate.  I don't have a stat to prove it, but when I watched Baker play, he really seemed to deliver the ball to people where they could catch it and RUN with it.  We have guys on our team who can be scary good after the catch.  THAT'S where accuracy is really going to help us.  Oh, and Baker doesn't throw picks, either.  

What's my biggest fear for our offense this year?  Ironically, it has nothing to do with the QB position at all.  My biggest fear/concern with our offense is actually our FG kicker.  Tyrod Taylor appears to ALWAYS be involved in close games.  Again, I have no stats to prove this, and I could be way off, but Tyrod seems to be a guy who's consistently in tight games, and for a team who absolutely needs every point, we can't have anything less than a stellar kicker.  We can't be going for it on the opposition's 36 yard line because we don't have faith in our kicker.  We need to be to confidently line up our kicker, have him make the majority of his long kicks, and he needs to do so in close games.  Additionally, we simply CAN'T get off to an awful start to the season.  If we start out 0-4 or something, it's going to get UGLY in Cleveland (well, UGLIER anyways).  For seemingly once in our darn lives, we need to win the first darn game.  Get that freaking gorilla off our backs, and start focusing on winning some more games.  We can't have a situation where we're searching for that elusive "first win" week in and week out.  The NFL has so many close games, and we need a kicker who can make tough kicks to ensure we grab the ones we can.  

Another offensive fear I have is obviously Josh Gordon.  Every day it seems like I'm checking my phone to see, "Gordon tested positive, is off the team!" or some crap like that.  Every single time I see a Browns logo on my phone indicating there's Browns news, I get scared.  Josh is simply THAT good, and while he was admittedly a little scattered during his 5 games last year, I certainly believe him being able to participate with his team ALL YEAR long and into training camp will do wonders for the guy.  He sees the payday Landry got, and you KNOW he sees his paltry paycheck (in comparison, of course) and wants something more.  Josh needs to prove he can play, and prove even more that he can stay in the league.  He does that, and we have an offense you don't want to mess with.  You're not going to double-team Landry AND Gordon all that much, and if you're going to "box" Gordon with a safety, or flat-out double cover him, Landry and maybe even Coleman will have EXCELLENT opportunities.  Josh opens so many doors for our offense.  I only hope they stay open and he doesn't slam it shut on his NFL future.  

"We have nothing to fear, but fear itself!"

Pretty sure Hue Jackson said that...

... just prior to going Polar Bear in the lake.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

"We have nothing to fear, but fear itself!"

Pretty sure Hue Jackson said that...

... just prior to going Polar Bear in the lake.

But.....Jackson is a coward so far....and has not jumped....to my knowledge.  Has he?   Or did he do it when I was in California?

Two more developing issues from Dorsey's presser:  1.)This, more eye popping than the other,maybe. Trading or not taking your QB choice at #1?  Since 1970, 21 QB's have been picked 1st overall.8 have won a SB.Three (4 counting P.Manning) are in the HOF.4 are complete Busts. Basically we have a 3 in 1 chance of getting a really good QB staying & choosing QB at #1. I'd almost bet there weren't 4 hyped up QB's like in this class in any of those years..2.) Taking a QB that fits into your already "Offensive designed Packages", may not get us the best accual QB in this draft? Taking the best QB than playing up to his best offensive skill sets may not need the red hammers to put square blocks into round holes..

21 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

Nope. :lol:

But judging by cal's reaction to you, I can tell you are doing standup work over there... keep up the good fight my friend! 

Has anyone taken a peek at the Browns official site?.. They have videos of Josh Allen all over the front page.. I don't know about the rest of you all.. But that just makes me a tad nervous....

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/

1 hour ago, nickers said:

Has anyone taken a peek at the Browns official site?.. They have videos of Josh Allen all over the front page.. I don't know about the rest of you all.. But that just makes me a tad nervous....

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/

I can't think that the Browns would be dumb enough to tip their hands... but it is the Browns. 

While I would rather see them take Darnold, I'm not so sure taking Allen would be a disaster. The way they can really screw this up, in my opinion, would be to take Barkley at #1, then a defensive player at #4, and take Lamar Jackson later. If that happens, it's going to be another looong 20 years.

On 4/21/2018 at 6:35 AM, gumby73 said:

Two more developing issues from Dorsey's presser:  1.)This, more eye popping than the other,maybe. Trading or not taking your QB choice at #1?  Since 1970, 21 QB's have been picked 1st overall.8 have won a SB.Three (4 counting P.Manning) are in the HOF.4 are complete Busts. Basically we have a 3 in 1 chance of getting a really good QB staying & choosing QB at #1. I'd almost bet there weren't 4 hyped up QB's like in this class in any of those years..2.) Taking a QB that fits into your already "Offensive designed Packages", may not get us the best accual QB in this draft? Taking the best QB than playing up to his best offensive skill sets may not need the red hammers to put square blocks into round holes..

1- Jared Goff - looks like a keeper. Rams are a promising team for 2018.

2 -Jam Winston - Bust. Terrible QB draft. Mariota is fair.

3- Andy Luck - Always injured

4- Cam Newton - Better than average. Made it to a Super Bowl and choked.

5- Sam Bradford - Always injured.

6- Matt Stafford - Better than average.

7- Jamarcus Russel - Bust

8- Alex Smith - Better than average

9- E Manning - Enough said.

10- Carson Palmer - Better than average.

11- David Carr - Bust from day 1.

12- Mike Vick - Bust. Tarkentons dont make it in todays NFL, but some teams think that they do.

13- Tim Couch - Enough said.

14- P Manning - HOF  Enough said.

15- Drew Bledsoe - Better than average.

16- Jeff George - Bust.

17- Troy Aikman - HOF Enough said.

18- Vinny Testaverde - Better than average.

19- Bernie Kosar - 

20- Steve Young - HOF

21- John Elway - HOF

Available in the 2018 draft I take 1 of these 7 -  Elway, Young, Kosar, Aikman, P Manning, E Manning and Jared Goff.

GM grounds for firing on draft day if 1 of these 6 -  Couch, George, Carr, Vick, Russel and Winston.

Post season QBs these 5 - Testaverde, Palmer, Luck, Newton and Smith.

Overrated these 3- Bledsoe, Stafford and Bradford. Luck too.

2 hours ago, lodilobo said:

While I would rather see them take Darnold, I'm not so sure taking Allen would be a disaster. The way they can really screw this up, in my opinion, would be to take Barkley at #1, then a defensive player at #4, and take Lamar Jackson later. If that happens, it's going to be another looong 20 years.

NOT if Barkley...and say Chubb   are what people think they will be.   Also....I doubt that they would take Jackson.....they would take some QB later on.

That would mean, of course, that they would have to hope to hit on that later drafted QB....and/or wait till next year......

And further that means that they....and we....would have to live with Tyrod Taylor for a couple of years.  I mean...that would not be the worst thing.....given what we have lived with for the last two decades.

2 hours ago, boo fagley said:

1- Jared Goff - looks like a keeper. Rams are a promising team for 2018.

2 -Jam Winston - Bust. Terrible QB draft. Mariota is fair.

3- Andy Luck - Always injured

4- Cam Newton - Better than average. Made it to a Super Bowl and choked.

5- Sam Bradford - Always injured.

6- Matt Stafford - Better than average.

7- Jamarcus Russel - Bust

8- Alex Smith - Better than average

9- E Manning - Enough said.

10- Carson Palmer - Better than average.

11- David Carr - Bust from day 1.

12- Mike Vick - Bust. Tarkentons dont make it in todays NFL, but some teams think that they do.

13- Tim Couch - Enough said.

14- P Manning - HOF  Enough said.

15- Drew Bledsoe - Better than average.

16- Jeff George - Bust.

17- Troy Aikman - HOF Enough said.

18- Vinny Testaverde - Better than average.

19- Bernie Kosar - 

20- Steve Young - HOF

21- John Elway - HOF

Available in the 2018 draft I take 1 of these 7 -  Elway, Young, Kosar, Aikman, P Manning, E Manning and Jared Goff.

GM grounds for firing on draft day if 1 of these 6 -  Couch, George, Carr, Vick, Russel and Winston.

Post season QBs these 5 - Testaverde, Palmer, Luck, Newton and Smith.

Overrated these 3- Bledsoe, Stafford and Bradford. Luck too.

Kudos to you for recognizing that Steve Young and Bernie Kosar were taken with the equivalent of the #1 overall pick of the draft.

But I think it is a bit early to judge Winston. And Vick had some very productive....and winning years.

I also give both Carr and Couch a bit of a break.  Both Carr and Couch were  the first pick of  teams that up to that point were just paper teams.  And in Couch's case he took the team to the playoffs in 3 years....even if he did not start the playoff game due to injuries.  And, of course, it was injuries that curtailed his career.

Archived