THE BROWNS BOARD

How Can/Will The Browns Blow It? Or Not?

The Gipper

So.....the real question on the Board for Browns fans....who now have endured like 18 years of the effluvia that has been Browns personnel  departments is:

How will the Browns Blow this draft?   That is what we all believe.  Admit it.     

But....in addition to that question.....I will allow you all to take the side that we all have hoped we could say for a generation now:

How will the Browns nail this draft?

So....give your answer.    What 2-3 moves can the Browns make to  (typically)   Fuhuck this thing up completely.     Or, what can they do to (finally)  hit draft pay dirt?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not particularly sure.. New people in the front office.. Id say they need a chance to prove themselves.. Just Keep Hue,Jimmy and Dee out of the waroom... Let Dorsey and staff do they're thing.. And see where it all shakes out.. I'm vehemently against drafting Barkley or Allen #1...

My gut feeling is they will reach on someone none of us are zeroing in on.. "BLECH"

Blow it?     Have their choice of QB  at #1 overall be the second coming of very high bust QBs like:   Leaf,  Russell,  Harrington. Akili  Smith, Heath Shuler,  David Carr, RGIII or the like.

Have their #4 pick  end up being a bust on the order of the likes of Trev Albert, Courtney Brown, Dion Jordan, Charles Rogers, Curtis Enis, Kijana Carter, Aaron Curry, Trent Richardson, Justin Blackmon, Justin Gilbert.

How can they nail it:

Have #1 be the next coming or Peyton Manning.....or Eli would be OK....or Phil Rivers...or even Carson Palmer or Matt Ryan or Cam Newton, or Andrew Luck...without the injury problem.

And have their #4 end up being the next LaDanian Tomlinson, or Marshall Faulk...(if it were Barkley)... or Julius Pepper or Junior Seau

47 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

So.....the real question on the Board for Browns fans....who now have endured like 18 years of the effluvia that has been Browns personnel  departments is:

How will the Browns Blow this draft?

1. Drafting Allen as their future QB

2. Trading down from the #1 pick to accumulate more picks

3. Letting Hue, Jimmah or another random homeless person override Dorsey when making draft picks.

11 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Allen, Mayfield or Barkley at all would be blowing it. 

Not? Rosen, then BPA at 4 unless the trade down is minor and they can secure Ward a few pics later. 

Also Benkert mid/late round would be hot. 

Idk. I can meet you halfway by saying that taking Barkley #1 overall - at the expense of drafting Darnold or Rosen - would be a waste, but a Rosen/Darnold @ #1 and Barkley @ #4 would be a pretty good first round in my book. Barkley is a beast of a RB

24 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

Idk. I can meet you halfway by saying that taking Barkley #1 overall - at the expense of drafting Darnold or Rosen - would be a waste, but a Rosen/Darnold @ #1 and Barkley @ #4 would be a pretty good first round in my book. Barkley is a beast of a RB

Barkley up the middle would replace Metcalf up the middle. 

Leggo 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

How will the Browns nail this draft?

So....give your answer.    What 2-3 moves can the Browns make to  (typically)   Fuhuck this thing up completely.     Or, what can they do to (finally)  hit draft pay dirt?

I see Chubb off the board at 2. so #1-QB..#4 am out unless Bills can give me #6 Colts or #9 49ers. with the Bills #12 pick :P (bills #22 to far to slide back) we come out with Mikah or Ward (both a need) and LT big Mike McGlinchey (higher upside the S. Coleman imo)  

I’ve been dreading this question for weeks😩

i just keep thinking about Hue taking Corey Coleman and passing on blue chip players again. Bosa & Elliot we’re ours for the taking. It’s water under the bridge now but still painful to see Wentz, Goff, Prescott and Deshaun Watson not only starting, but having success. 

Im praying for a franchise QB at #1 as long as it’s not Mayfield (Manziel 2.0) I do realize this class is not as good as previous years but with the new rookie contracts at least teams don’t need to break the bank.

If what Hue says is true then whomever  they chose won’t be starting right away so why not take Josh Allen at number 1 and Bradley Chubb at number 4

i could handle Darnold and Barkley also.

whatever happens, I pray Dorsey doesn’t trade back to aquire future picks! It hasn’t worked.

Best Players available are unarguably; Saquon Barkley, Bradley Chub, Quentin Nelson, Minkah Fitzpatrick, and a few others who could make an impact right away.

When looking at the last few drafts, I actually would draft Barkley, Chub and Lamar Jackson even tho I don’t think Browns personnel is capable of developing a guy who could definitely be this years Deshaun Watson. 

So realistically I think (providing they don’t make a trade) at #1 Darnold, at # 4 Chubb

Dont Blow it Dorsey

The Browns WILL blow this draft just as they blew last year's draft, and pretty much every draft since V 2.0 in 1999.

The Browns, and their fans, are vomitously opposed, repelled and disoriented by the thought of taking playmakers, more importantly, players who make a difference on the field. Joe Thomas was perhaps the biggest example of how to waste a draft pick because for all he supposedly was, he didn't demonstrably make the Browns better.

Garrett? never will be a difference maker. Coleman? Had the chance to help us beat the Steelers and he dropped the pass. Does it not ever dawn on you guys that the Browns never are in a highlight film where one of our players saved the day....made the winning score.....stopped the opposition from winning? Never............. NEVER. All you dickheads ever do is create fantasy narratives in which our players are so far superior, that they are doing things on the field that, while not producing points and wins, are doing things that in the long run that everyone else is just too dumb to understand.

Barkley is the pick of this draft. The Browns have the ability to get him, And the QB they want.

Hue wants Black Lamarkenton.

7 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

Does it not ever dawn on you guys that the Browns never are in a highlight film where one of our players saved the day....made the winning score.....stopped the opposition from winning? Never............. NEVER.

LOL! Tom, has it dawned on you that there would not be any such highlight when you have zero wins in a season and the only such highlight for the 1-15 season was Josh Lambo's miss of the winning FG for the Chargers in 2016?:lol:

How could they blow it?   They could trade out of #1 and let someone else have their QB pick of the litter.   And then pick a bum at #22.  ORrrrr...they could pick Manziel 2.0 and he turns out to be a Socky jerk.  ORrrr they take Allen and he turns out to be Derrick Anderson, throwing at player's feet when they're crossing the field 5 yards in front of him.

Other side of coin:  They could pick the best QB (Rosen, Darnold) and stay put and pick Chubb (this covers for Garrett...and we get a RB later)  ORrrr....they can go ahead and pick Barkley at 4 so that the Ghoul doesn't come out spitting venom.  ( I won't be able to greatly fault a Barkley choice at 4 because our offense has been so lousy ).

Excuse me, moderators, why can't we say the word Socky?  (as in kocky).  

1 hour ago, Ghoolie said:

The Browns WILL blow this draft just as they blew last year's draft, and pretty much every draft since V 2.0 in 1999.

The Browns, and their fans, are vomitously opposed, repelled and disoriented by the thought of taking playmakers, more importantly, players who make a difference on the field. Joe Thomas was perhaps the biggest example of how to waste a draft pick because for all he supposedly was, he didn't demonstrably make the Browns better.

Garrett? never will be a difference maker. Coleman? Had the chance to help us beat the Steelers and he dropped the pass. Does it not ever dawn on you guys that the Browns never are in a highlight film where one of our players saved the day....made the winning score.....stopped the opposition from winning? Never............. NEVER. All you dickheads ever do is create fantasy narratives in which our players are so far superior, that they are doing things on the field that, while not producing points and wins, are doing things that in the long run that everyone else is just too dumb to understand.

Barkley is the pick of this draft. The Browns have the ability to get him, And the QB they want.

If the Browns could just draft a player like the legend that is Paxton Lynch. 

Well, they have..............Manziel, Frye, Hogan, Kizer, Quinn, oops............... I forgot................. Lynch is still playing in the NFL. 

3 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

Well, they have..............Manziel, Frye, Hogan, Kizer, Quinn, oops............... I forgot................. Lynch is still playing in the NFL. 

Playing? Well he occupies a space (for now).

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

LOL! Tom, has it dawned on you that there would not be any such highlight when you have zero wins in a season and the only such highlight for the 1-15 season was Josh Lambo's miss of the winning FG for the Chargers in 2016?:lol:

Yes, this is what I am talking about. They have been in position many times to win, but this drafting philosophy of not taking play makers because they are too expensive for our sinsibility, or because they were taken with trade down asset addition,,,,,,you basically have schidt players. I expect the same kind of draft to save Haslam money.

5 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Playing? Well he occupies a space (for now).

And who here would not LOVE to be in that position?

Blow it

#1 - Josh Allen or a non QB would tell me all I need to know about John Dorsey 

Nail it

#4 - The dream scenario is after we’ve taken our QB that the Giants stand pat and then take Barkley or Chubb. Then you got the Jets taking a QB so I think Buffalo then reach out to Denver. If Elway wants one of the QBs left this high then he’s going to have to come to #4 because Buffalo certainly will if they’ve been rejected by Denver. We could trade back just one spot and still get the player we’d have taken at #4 and pick up the third rounder we lost in the Tyrod trade. Even then who’s to say the QB Denver takes at #4 is the guy Buffalo wanted? One of Mayfield or Allen will almost certainly be left even after three QB’s have gone so we could trade back again with Buffalo gaining two firsts plus more from them and a third from Denver #4 in two trades that still see us picking at #12. This would be the dream for a 1-31 team.

Well, let's face it. We could "blow it", but we really could use some LUCK too. Injuries, chemistry, even Josh Gordon staying straight....we need some things to go our darn way. Heck, even a large part of the draft is freaking luck. So am I afraid we're going to blow it? Sure. We have a TON of draft capital, and I've maintained over the past few months that our GM simply won't be able to resist trading down from 4. It could work out, but suffice to say we Browns fans haven't exactly been rewarded with trading down all that often. Sure, we get some killer picks, but we haven't gotten those blue chip guys we need to make plays. 

We have a new front office, and that gives me hope. We have a veteran QB who protects the ball and works his butt off. We need our 2nd year players to "make the leap", something that has largely eluded us. We also need Josh Gordon on the field. We saw glimpses of his greatness last year, and lord knows what he can do with a full season of training and practicing with the team. The guy looks like Kong but runs a 4.4. 

I am very hopeful. After such a miserable season, I'm excited to think about possibly winning multiple games and actually having FUN watching my beloved team. Remember fun? I mean, on paper this isn't a bad team at all. How crazy is THAT? After going winless, I would never have thought I'd be thinking about winning 6 games or so. And I totally think that's possible. We could win more, or even less, but I'm excited to actually SEE what we do. We did well (not great, but well IMO) in free agency, and now it's time for the draft. 

My glass is 5/8ths full....I choose to say the Browns will not blow it. 

I agree with Ghoolie on a few things...draft playmakers. Our weakness has been scoring points, and we hardly ever stop the opponent on 3rd and long. 

Something tells me the Browns are going to flip us all out and draft Chubb at #1 to shore up a wicked pass rush, then go offense on picks #4, 33, 35. It wouldn't be a shock to me if they drafted Baker Mayfield at 4, it sounds like Dorsey loves him and he has a similar skill set as Tyrod physically. 

So yes, I do think they will gamble a bit on the QB pick. Personally, I think all these guys are a gamble based off of years of QB picks by all 32 teams. We've beat this stuff to death already. 

I think they grab a shifty RB in round 2, probably their top-rated receiver in round 2. Therefore, they nab 3 potential "playmakers" with their top 4 picks. Hey. it's a start.

I don't even want to write about the 3/8ths glass-empty. Obviously, the wrong QB pick would be a huge part of that. I will remain positive, unless they trade down.

2 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Something tells me the Browns are going to flip us all out and draft Chubb at #1 to shore up a wicked pass rush, then go offense on picks #4, 33, 35. It wouldn't be a shock to me if they drafted Baker Mayfield at 4, it sounds like Dorsey loves him and he has a similar skill set as Tyrod physically. 

They are taking Mayfield at #1 in that scenario, why would they take the chance NYG or NYJ don't take him in those two spots? If we took Chubb someone is offering NYG a haul to get to #2 for instance.

Risks like that aren't taken with QB's at the top of the draft, they are drafted at #1 and that team can then get on with the rest of the draft.

1 hour ago, LondonBrown said:

They are taking Mayfield at #1 in that scenario, why would they take the chance NYG or NYJ don't take him in those two spots? If we took Chubb someone is offering NYG a haul to get to #2 for instance.

Risks like that aren't taken with QB's at the top of the draft, they are drafted at #1 and that team can then get on with the rest of the draft.

I don't know if it's a risk at all. If you have a guy like Chubb #1 on your board, you take him. He'd play immediately.

Darnold, the projected #1, isn't going to contribute in 2018 unless there's unforeseen circumstances. Same with Mayfield. Rosen's supposedly more apt to start sooner than later, so the Jets and Giants would take him if he's there. 

I'm not saying this will happen, I'm just have a hunch they won't take a QB at 1.

16 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Taking Barkley  is the equivalent....per your own spiel....of taking Garrett or  Joe Thomas.

He would have as much impact as  Kijana Carter did for the Bengals...or Curtis Enis.  He is as ordinary as  Trent Richardson was.  

I know you want him because you thing that he will be a major impact player.

He will have as much impact as the other offensive skill players the Browns have had in the past:   Richardson, Corey Coleman,  Manziel, Weeden, Quinn.   Oh....he may turn out like say, Braylon Edwards....he would have one very good season...and then disappear. 

No....Barkley if the Corey Coleman of RBs.

13 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Only because he was taken much more recently than them.   Hogan and Kizer are still playing fyi.    But Lynch is looking to have the shelf life of Charlie Frye.   Besides....Frye as a third round flyer at QB....as was Colt McCoy.   Lynch was a first rounder.  

But your comparison of hime to Manziel and Quinn may be perfectly apt.

Archived