THE BROWNS BOARD

NFL Exec says THIS scenario where Browns trade out of one isn’t crazy

LionOfBuddha

10 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Remember too now is when teams do their best to disguise their true intentions in most cases.

I wonder if there will be a fury of trades and moves right through day 1......exciting huh.  :huh:

Path to the Draft (NFL Network) guys were all joking about the silly season being in full force with the Browns right now so that none of them knew who the Browns really wanted @ 1 & 4, or whether they might trade down even a little bit with either one.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Path to the Draft (NFL Network) guys were all joking about the silly season being in full force with the Browns right now so that none of them knew who the Browns really wanted @ 1 & 4, or whether they might trade down even a little bit with either one.

This the best draft ever to just STAY PUT...

We have the pick of the litter of a QB-rich draft at #1. (we didn't clear the QB room and trade for a one year veteran to "see who's available at 4")

I assume Giants are going QB or trading out with someone going QB ... so it goes QB1 QB2 QB3 ...

We get the BPA at #4.

Who gets the top QB prospect and the top all-around prospect in the same year? We do.

Zombo

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

We have the pick of the litter of a QB-rich draft at #1. (we didn't clear the QB room and trade for a one year veteran to "see who's available at 4")

I assume Ginats are going QB or trading out with someone going QB ... so it goes QB1 QB2 QB3 ...

We get the BPA at #4.

Who gets the top QB prospect and the top all-around propsect in the same year? We do.

Zombo

I would assume the Giants go with Chubb or Barkley unless we do NOT take the QB Denver wants. Then they might find a customer in Denver without losing out on whomever we don't take in Chubb or Barkley @  #4.

23 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I would assume the Giants go with Chubb or Barkley unless we do NOT take the QB Denver wants. Then they might find a customer in Denver without losing out on whomever we don't take in Chubb or Barkley @  #4.

I’ve heard that it’s pretty much set that the Giants will take Darnold at 2 if he’s there

10 minutes ago, LionOfBuddha said:

I’ve heard that it’s pretty much set that the Giants will take Darnold at 2 if he’s there

And will they be dumb enough to take Allen if we don't hold true to being Browns and take him ourselves? Will they take Rosen if we take Darnold?

43 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And will they be dumb enough to take Allen if we don't hold true to being Browns and take him ourselves? Will they take Rosen if we take Darnold?

Just please NO to the rumors the Browns are seriously considering Allen at #1. I can live with any of the other three. Taking that Josh at #1 would immediately kill any confidence I have in Dorsey.

I'll agree with the Bill's fans video rating Allen as a second round prospect. 

19 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Just please NO to the rumors the Browns are seriously considering Allen at #1. I can live with any of the other three. Taking that Josh at #1 would immediately kill any confidence I have in Dorsey.

100000x this

55 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I'll agree with the Bill's fans video rating Allen as a second round prospect. 

Well, there’s a lot of smoke we’re taking Allen. And if you read between the lines, it’s looking pretty clear.

While Darnold is still working out with other teams, Josh Allen was just hanging out at the Masters. If the Browns wanted Darnold, do you think they’d let him workout with other teams and risk injury? No way, these players are multimillion dollar investments. Even the Jets, who pick at 3, just scheduled a workout with Darnold. They probably didn’t before because they just assumed we were taking Darnold at 1...

Meanwhile, have we seen Josh Allen visiting and working out for any teams recently? The Browns probably told Allen “We’re taking you at 1, no more workouts. Just relax until the draft”

4 hours ago, Zombo said:

I assume Giants are going QB or trading out with someone going QB ... so it goes QB1 QB2 QB3 ...

We get the BPA at #4.

Who gets the top QB prospect and the top all-around prospect in the same year? We do.

Zombo

Hopefully,,,,,so.....who do you think that other guy should be?

48 minutes ago, LionOfBuddha said:

Well, there’s a lot of smoke we’re taking Allen. And if you read between the lines, it’s looking pretty clear.

While Darnold is still working out with other teams, Josh Allen was just hanging out at the Masters. If the Browns wanted Darnold, do you think they’d let him workout with other teams and risk injury? No way, these players are multimillion dollar investments. Even the Jets, who pick at 3, just scheduled a workout with Darnold. They probably didn’t before because they just assumed we were taking Darnold at 1...

Meanwhile, have we seen Josh Allen visiting and working out for any teams recently? The Browns probably told Allen “We’re taking you at 1, no more workouts. Just relax until the draft”

That's a thing?

If a player is so fragile that hurts himself in a workout... ala Teddy B in a non-contact, practice drill... then I'd consider that knowledge a pick saving plus.

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

That's a thing?

If a player is so fragile that hurts himself in a workout... ala Teddy B in a non-contact, practice drill... then I'd consider that knowledge a pick saving plus.

i was laughing about that myself oh no i pulled my groin on that down and out pass Call The Medics

When have the pats ever I repeat ever moved up lot alone in the  first round to get a QB the answer is never. So that tells me how good Sam Donald is why would you give him away give them the fourth pack and get there first and second.  Otherwise this will be another Cleveland move.

1 hour ago, Babernakle said:

When have the pats ever I repeat ever moved up lot alone in the  first round to get a QB the answer is never. So that tells me how good Sam Donald is why would you give him away give them the fourth pack and get there first and second.  Otherwise this will be another Cleveland move.

Sam Donald?  or his son?

ows_145860219017315.jpg

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

That's a thing?

Absolutely it’s a thing. These are million dollar investments. You’re not going to let your prom date go hang out with other guys 3 weeks before the prom.

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Hopefully,,,,,so.....who do you think that other guy should be?

I'm a Darnold and Barkley guy.

Don't know what the Browns are thinking, but it would be a pairing of:

Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen

and 

Barkley, Chubb

Unless I am missing something.

I think Quenton Nelson is out because we have a ton of money locked up at Guard, and the DBs and LBs are tantalizing, but I don't think they are the game changers that Chubb and Barkley are.

So we are getting our clear favorite, vetted by our extensive personnel staff, QB and we're either lining up Chubb opposite of Garrett or adding the best RB prospect in years to our backfield.

Can't blow this ... can we?

Zombo

18 minutes ago, Zombo said:

and 

Barkley, Chubb

I think Quenton Nelson is out because we have a ton of money locked up at Guard, and the DBs and LBs are tantalizing, but I don't think they are the game changers that Chubb and Barkley are.

So we are getting our clear favorite, vetted by our extensive personnel staff, QB and we're either lining up Chubb opposite of Garrett or adding the best RB prospect in years to our backfield.

Zombo

Yes we can. Just take Allen.

17 minutes ago, Zombo said:

and 

Barkley, Chubb

Zombo

In years?   I think that both Fournette and Zeke Elliot were as good  or better RB prospects.  Maybe we get the best RB prospect...This year.   If he is the choice. 

The thought of Garrett and Chubb as bookends is an enticing thought.

44 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I actually think that Garrett NEEDS Chubb....in order to have the impact the he was 'supposed' to have when we drafted him.  (I guess I'm suggesting that Garrett isn't quite what he was cracked up to be)

2 hours ago, LionOfBuddha said:

Absolutely it’s a thing. These are million dollar investments. You’re not going to let your prom date go hang out with other guys 3 weeks before the prom.

if she is the whore that i think she is then who cares as long as i get mine

14 minutes ago, syd said:

if she is the whore that i think she is then who cares as long as i get mine

Non-contact injuries happen all the time. Teddy Twatwater almost had his leg fall off, and Deshaun Watson tore his ACL. Both were non contact.If you’ve identified a guy that you want to be your franchise QB for the next 15 years, you’re gonna let him go workout with other teams and risk that?

5 minutes ago, LionOfBuddha said:

Non-contact injuries happen all the time. Teddy Twatwater almost had his leg fall off, and Deshaun Watson tore his ACL. Both were non contact.If you’ve identified a guy that you want to be your franchise QB for the next 15 years, you’re gonna let him go workout with other teams and risk that?

A blade of grass ended LeCharles Bentley's NFL career. 

13 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

A blade of grass ended LeCharles Bentley's NFL career. 

i was so po'd .:angry:.and not here to feel more pain

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

and 

Barkley, Chubb

Zombo

Hmmmm.... check out Tour's "Inside Info" post Z. If that's true- Gipper's POV just might be right. If the FO, Coaches, and scouts are fragmented three ways between Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield- just could be they say screw it, take Chubb at #1, and one of the three will be there for sure at #4......   Personally- assuming as everyone does, we take a QB at #1, we'll know who had the final say. 

Yup... and you know what? Unless I sign him pre-draft there's not a damn thing I can do to stop him.

But I repeat... if he pops an ACL running drills on a manicured field in a work out, I'd rather know that pre-draft. Then I'd have a talk with my Medical staff and find out what they missed and why... and if they expect him to recover during the year I was going to sit him anyway.

Worst case... I get my 15-year guy at least a round later... and can finally justify taking Kurt Benkert as well.

48 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Yup... and you know what? Unless I sign him pre-draft there's not a damn thing I can do to stop him.

But I repeat... if he pops an ACL running drills on a manicured field in a work out, I'd rather know that pre-draft. Then I'd have a talk with my Medical staff and find out what they missed and why... and if they expect him to recover during the year I was going to sit him anyway.

Worst case... I get my 15-year guy at least a round later... and can finally justify taking Kurt Benkert as well.

If you tell a guy, “Hey, we’re taking you #1. Don’t work out for any teams, just lay low.” The kid is going to listen. He’s going to start on a good foot with his new team. Why would he waste time doing pointless workouts with teams he won’t be with? Doesn’t make sense.

If he didn’t do the pointless workout with teams who won’t be able to draft him, he’d never have popped an ACL. Most ACL tears have nothing to do with genetic dispositions (with the rare exception of RG3 because of knee valgus), it’s just bad luck. Athletes’ quadriceps and hamstrings are so strong nowadays, too strong for the tendons and ligaments that they’re attached to. Alas, ACL tears run rampant among athletes these days.

1 hour ago, LionOfBuddha said:

If you tell a guy, “Hey, we’re taking you #1. Don’t work out for any teams, just lay low.” The kid is going to listen. He’s going to start on a good foot with his new team. Why would he waste time doing pointless workouts with teams he won’t be with? Doesn’t make sense.

If he didn’t do the pointless workout with teams who won’t be able to draft him, he’d never have popped an ACL. Most ACL tears have nothing to do with genetic dispositions (with the rare exception of RG3 because of knee valgus), it’s just bad luck. Athletes’ quadriceps and hamstrings are so strong nowadays, too strong for the tendons and ligaments that they’re attached to. Alas, ACL tears run rampant among athletes these days.

Don't you think that if that was a thing, the Browns could tell 7 different prospects "we are taking you #1" just so other teams don't have private workouts with them? That would favor the #4 pick by the Browns. 

If you cannot guarantee something, you don't make a deal. And you cannot guarantee #1pick to any prospect.

I'll interject this as one of old the old guys- way back then, ACLs just got referred to as "trick knees" you can walk- or even play on them. Granted nowhere near as common. Brings me to my point regarding weight training. Torn pectoral muscles were unheard of back in the '60s. Muscle strength exceeds insertion point. 

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Sounds sexual... :o

Ha, unintentional Tour, you know what I meant from my medical background. Particular muscle becomes so strong, it exceeds the strength of the associated tendon attached to the bone, rip. See- Thomas, Joe.

19 hours ago, The Gipper said:

In years?   I think that both Fournette and Zeke Elliot were as good  or better RB prospects.  Maybe we get the best RB prospect...This year.   If he is the choice. 

Barkley is considered a better draft prospect in NFL circles than those guys were.

NFL Draft grades: Fournette 6.8, Zeke 7.09, Barkley 7.45.

You'd have to back to Adrian Peterson in 2007 to find as highly touted RB prospect. That's years.

Z

Archived