THE BROWNS BOARD

NFL Exec says THIS scenario where Browns trade out of one isn’t crazy

LionOfBuddha

On 4/13/2018 at 1:49 PM, hoorta said:

I posted this in Po's Barkley love thread Z, but it bears repeating. I'm saying Saquon may turn out to be great, or even HOF. So let's talk HOF running backs. Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders. Tom Brady has more Championships than the three of them combined, and Payton can thank Mike Singletary and Richard Dent for his.  OK I missed Emmett Smith. NO problem there if we take Saquon. The QB we draft at #1 is the next Troy Aikman, Gordon gets his act together and winds up as another Michael Irving or Chris Carter, Nojuku gets to the Jason Whitten level, and Garrett plays up to the Too Tall Jones class or better.   Easy peasy. A HOF running back isn't the ticket to the promised Land, MHO. Adrian Peterson won't and Ladanian Tomlinson never did get there. I doubt Barkley is better than any of the others I've mentioned. 

So Terry Bradshaw's career was wonderful before Franco Harris contributed a Hall of Fame effort? He was getting benched in his 4th season.  And how was Trent Dilfer doing before Jamel Lewis gave him 2000 yards on the ground in the Ratpack's first SB season?  The last time we were relevant enough to consistently make playoffs - it was just 1 year after drafting Kevin Mack 11th overall in the 84 Supplemental Draft.  Judging 1 RB by Adrian Peterson's inability to play in the SB is like judging all Tedford system QBs to the forgone conclusion that Aaron Rodgers will be just as worthless. 

Or, if anyone goes by the school traditions where Montana and Theisman both went to Notre Dame then all of the ND QBs to follow should be just as successful.  Then again, we drafted Brady Quinn and DeShone Kizer right?  And where are they now?

While this is supposed to be a DEEP RB draft, some of the guys coming out aren't nearly as polished/prepared as Barkley for the NFL passing game.  Guys comparing Barkley to Zeke are refusing to compare the offensive lines in front of both guys.  Even Cardale Jones was a flawless performer behind that great line against the best opponents they played during their National Championship year which kicked off a very temporary "Fail for Cardale" crowd.  And when PSU's oline wasn't capable of dominating people up front - it was nice to know Barkley could catch passes to move the chains and extend the drives.  The TD volumes and all purpose yards are a nice reflection of the guy.  Not for nothing, but has Carlos Hyde looked anything like he did at Ohio State when his line in SF wasn't nearly as superior to the weekly opponent?  

Barkley doesn't worry me more than drafting the wrong QB does.  I feel more confident we can GET Barkley at #4 especially if we go QB first to panic Buffalo/anyone else up into a trade-up to #2. Barkley is a lot better all around RB than he's getting credit for in here. BTW, what makes everyone think all these RBs are still going to be around in round 2?    By the time the litter has been picked over, there's no guarantee guys like Rashaad Penny or Kerryon Johnson will be on our doorstep where Dorsey has them pegged as BPA/biggest need/both.  This isn't last year. This follows a year of the NFL crowing 2 RBs its offensive ROTY as a reminder of how important the position is becoming again. Another rookie RB was the work horse of the Jax team the made the AFC Championship with a great year. 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey... when the pressure is building you have two choices: vent or blow up.

You have chosen wisely...

As long as they are honest differing opinions don't bother me. It's the click-bait stuff that grates. And nearly all the "here's what I am hearing" sh!t falls into the latter category.

Anyone can do evaluations and set up rankings and boards. Anyone can assess team needs. Anyone can combine them and come up with "should do" mocks. That is not to say that everyone can do any of these things equally well or with equal precision. It's the "will do" mocks that cross over from interesting entertainment to irritating noise.

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I would say fans have said this about every front office the Browns have had since 1999, but Sashi Brown was the exception. 

He was qualified to argue a speeding ticket for me... or execute a will... :lol:

He was qualified to do what he did. The role he was asked to fill was the exception.

5 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Franco Harris

Not a name that had occurred to me, but who as a big guy who avoided contact may be Barky's best comp... at least he should be in that discussion.

4 minutes ago, Flugel said:

.....So Terry Bradshaw's career was wonderful before Franco Harris contributed a Hall of Fame effort? He was getting benched in his 4th season.  And how was Trent Dilfer doing before Jamel Lewis gave him 2000 yards on the ground in the Ratpack's first SB season?  The last time we were relevant enough to consistently make playoffs - it was just 1 year after drafting Kevin Mack 11th overall in the 84 Supplemental Draft.  Judging 1 RB by Adrian Peterson's inability to play in the SB is like saying judging all Tedford system QBs to the forgone conclusion that Aaron Rodgers will be just as worthless. 

Or, if anyone goes by the school traditions where Montana and Theisman both went to Notre Dame then all of the ND QBs to follow should be just as successful.  Then again, we drafted Brady Quinn and DeShone Kizer right?  And where are they now?.......

Weren't 500 of those yards against Cleveland that year? Do they get an assist?  :lol:

And aren't traditions basically just rear window generalizations and no guarantee of future results......or did I read that off of my mutual funds literature? 

Still it's interesting to put these clues together to try to predict the future, like looking at all the drawn lottery numbers to get that guaranteed winner and retire! Plus Kizer's best days are ahead, I guarantee it!

5 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Not a name that had occurred to me, but who as a big guy who avoided contact may be Barky's best comp... at least he should be in that discussion.

I don't think Barkley was terrified of contact as much as he tried to find daylight. A lot of times when there was inside daylight, McSorley kept the ball on the inside read.  People like to forget that a lot especially when they're sick of Poe's endorsements. Franco was only running 4.8 forties which made his turning down contact a lot more inexcusable than a guy running a 4.40 forty exploring daylight by bouncing it outside when McSorley already found nothing open inside prior to his handoff and good luck with that Bark... I've seen some tough inside runs from Barkley on film - enough to know he has it if necessary.

Hey, there was a Joe Thomas or Orlando Pace at LT for consideration of 1 of our first 2 picks - I'd be there placing them ahead of Barkley.  But there isn't....  Everyone saying you don't draft a RB first is looking at other years where other players at other positions stat ranked higher. This year is very unique in what's being ranked high by the draft analysts.

53 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Hey... when the pressure is building you have two choices: vent or blow up.

You have chosen wisely...

As long as they are honest differing opinions don't bother me. It's the click-bait stuff that grates. And nearly all the "here's what I am hearing" sh!t falls into the latter category.

Anyone can do evaluations and set up rankings and boards. Anyone can assess team needs. Anyone can combine them and come up with "should do" mocks. That is not to say that everyone can do any of these things equally well or with equal precision. It's the "will do" mocks that cross over from interesting entertainment to irritating noise.

Yep. When the mocker makes a "guess" & then immediately criticizes the FO for that speculative pick is stupid!

Mike

4 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

What I should have stated more clearly is that I'm tired of reading & hearing all these "self appointed experts" with their mock drafts, opinions, & criticizing experienced professionals when their opinions (speculation) don't match (I'm not speaking of just the Browns). These last 2 weeks can't fly by soon enough for me.

I prefer to read or hear facts rather than speculation & gossip, of which a little goes a long way. Dez Bryant was cut (fact). I don't give a damn about all the soap opera sh*t that's being reported about his situation......Bring back Joe Friday ("Just the facts, Ma'am).

THERE! Please pardon my venting.

Mike

The problem is that the draft is just held too late.  It really ought to be held in Mid March.

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Franco- never saw a sideline he didn't love. Today, not a bad decision running out of bounds to avoid unnecessary hits...  

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

The problem is that the draft is just held too late.  It really ought to be held in Mid March.

Yup, Gip. those guys on NFLN need a whole month's worth of "Path to the Draft" chatter to fill up airtime. NFL DRAFT APRIL 26TH WITH TROY AIKMAN!!!!!  It easily could be next week.  :(  

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

The bigger the gap between the players actually playing football and the Draft, the bigger the chance teams do stupid things. 

14 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

The bigger the gap between the players actually playing football and the Draft, the bigger the chance teams do stupid things. 

Yeah what's next a 5 day miniseries before preseason starts?

I still miss the old Saturday / Sunday R1 and R2 just for us football junkies and not spread out over three days each with less interest to the general public. 

It should be about 5 or 6 weeks maximum after the greatest event in sports the Super Bowl and not a month into MLB season and during the NBA and NHL playoffs. Bad timing NFL brass plus we football fans get burned out waiting that long. -_-

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Yeah what's next a 5 day miniseries before preseason starts?

I still miss the old Saturday / Sunday R1 and R2 just for us football junkies and not spread out over three days each with less interest to the general public. 

It should be about 5 or 6 weeks maximum after the greatest event in sports the Super Bowl and not a month into MLB season and during the NBA and NHL playoffs. Bad timing NFL brass plus we football fans get burned out waiting that long. -_-

I've actually grown to enjoy the Thurs/Fri/Sat format, after hating it initially. 

1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

I've actually grown to enjoy the Thurs/Fri/Sat format, after hating it initially. 

Having the R1 32 then see you tomorrow I don't like, maybe R1 and R2 but viewership would drop after that and that's what this is all about, ratings.

I used to get my papers, lists a big cold beverage and handful of cigars and go out on the deck and watch it on ESPN Saturday morning and again Sunday, way more like real football not the primetime miniseries it's become now.

Well it goes to Ft. Worth, TX this coming week then will travel, that might be interesting. 

I also like the current split even if Day 3 gets hectic. But most of that is owed to the "Who's he?" nature of it for all save the most die-hard of fans.

Were it not for the increasing emphasis on theDraft as a live event for fans, I could see the draft held on three consecutive Saturdays split R1, R2/3, and R 4-7. The one-week gaps would give plenty of time for reflection upon the picks made and needs remaining, and create even more drama around the first pick(s) of each day... especially #33 overall.

10 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I also like the current split even if Day 3 gets hectic. But most of that is owed to the "Who's he?" nature of it for all save the most die-hard of fans.

Were it not for the increasing emphasis on theDraft as a live event for fans, I could see the draft held on three consecutive Saturdays split R1, R2/3, and R 4-7. The one-week gaps would give plenty of time for reflection upon the picks made and needs remaining, and create even more drama around the first pick(s) of each day... especially #33 overall.

Yeah remember many years back it was a football event with only the most rabid fans attending? 

Now it is a media event designed like many things now to "monetize" everything including the host cities benefits from the show coming to town....kind of like ESPN Gameday for the NCAA football games. 

I wonder how much fun it will be for the Cleveland Browns fans if they don't pick first next year, let's hope.;)

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Saturday is for the draft junkies, for the normal fans- it's who's he?

I saw on twitter the question asked would the Browns take #12, #22, #53, #56 and a first next year to trade out of #1 with Buffalo

What do people think a) the Browns would do and b ) what would YOU do

45 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

I saw on twitter the question asked would the Browns take #12, #22, #53, #56 and a first next year to trade out of #1 with Buffalo

Only if I was sure that Taylor is my real franchise QB. I would then have to chose between Chubb and the top CB @ 4. Still left in a dilemma. What affects my entire draft no matter what is how Ogbah is coming back from his injury. I don't know and I'm not sure anyone here knows either. I really wanted to see Ogbah and Garrett both in full health on the field for the whole season to develop some real QB pressure, but God hates the Browns.

30 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I really wanted to see Ogbah and Garrett both in full health on the field for the whole season to develop some real QB pressure, but God hates the Browns.

Yeah I'm with you there I like both those players shame we didn't see the tandem much

2 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

No. We've got enough picks, let's start acquiring players.

Zombo

3 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

Yeah I'm with you there I like both those players shame we didn't see the tandem much

What would it be like with  Ogbah, Garrett, and Chubb all lined up on the DL?  With like Ogunjobi manning the other interior spot? It has been done before:  Reggie White, JJ Watt....Joey Bosa of recent vintage (at least while at OSU)....all went inside/outside.

A new Fearsome Foursome?  though they could not be called that.  A new name would have to be devised.

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

No. We've got enough picks, let's start acquiring players.

Zombo

Browns still have #1, #4, #33, #35 and #64...which should get them good young talent.  That really is more than enough infusion of young.  Browns need to get better, not necessarily younger......which is what a lot of Dorsey's move this offseason have been about. 

And, of course, don't be surprised if the Browns actually end up with fewer than the 9 picks they have.  I fully anticipate them trading some of those second rounders to move up in the draft to have another first rounder.

4 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

I don't see us giving up our choice of the QB prospects. I know I would not.

5 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

I’d make that deal for #4 which is possible if Buffalo gets desperate 

5 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

Nope, 12 is too low. We already turned down three seconds to move to #6. As others have said quality, not quantity. 

Archived