THE BROWNS BOARD

NFL Exec says THIS scenario where Browns trade out of one isn’t crazy

LionOfBuddha

Not sure the browns would just say screw it and draft Chubb #1. They know the value of these qb's and if they really are willing to put the fate of their qb in other teams hands, they are going to trade down with either the Jets or the Broncos. Besides, it would ABSOLUTELY astound me if they don't have a consensus by the time the draft rolls around. Sure, there maybe a handful of guys in the scouting room who like qb x vs qb y, but that's always going to happen in a draft where there are 4 legit prospects all with question marks. But if it is 1a and 1b, then the browns will make a decision. 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Zombo said:

Barkley is considered a better draft prospect in NFL circles than those guys were.

NFL Draft grades: Fournette 6.8, Zeke 7.09, Barkley 7.45.

You'd have to back to Adrian Peterson in 2007 to find as highly touted RB prospect. That's years.

Z

I just don't see it.

31 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I just don't see it.

I find it amazing folks aren't more excited about this guy. He's a game-changer.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/saquon-barkley?id=32462018-0002-5599-01e7-82f405a9a7e5

I think the only other running backs I have ever pimped pre-draft were Adrian Peterson and Shaun Alexander and they met expectations and surpassed them. I rarely promote running backs (hated Richardson) but this guy is lightning in a bottle.

Zombo

7 minutes ago, Zombo said:

I find it amazing folks aren't more excited about this guy. He's a game-changer.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/saquon-barkley?id=32462018-0002-5599-01e7-82f405a9a7e5

I think the only other running backs I have ever pimped pre-draft were Adrian Peterson and Shaun Alexander and they met expectations and surpassed them. I rarely promote running backs (hated Richardson) but this guy is lightning in a bottle.

Zombo

I like the kid, and wouldn't be surprised if he's a good NFL player.

I don't like taking RBs this high in the Draft because:

1. RBs have the shortest shelf life

2. Very good RBs are consistently found in lower rounds 

3. Many teams have adopted a platoon-style attitude towards their RBs (spread the carries to 2 or 3 guys instead of having one workhorse)

To me, a RB at #1 or #4 is a bad investment. 

On 4/8/2018 at 10:23 AM, 7moses7 said:

No way.  Dorsey will get run out of town 

Dorsey is not choosing the QB. Hue is.  Hue loves Black Lamarkenton. 

All he has to do is team with DePud, convince Haslam that Lamar is jst as good, that he fits Hue's offense, that we will have a lower salary burden and more picks. EASY SELL with a cheap owner. The Browns trading out of #1 is NOT even a stretch.

46 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Zombo

I just like the SEC backs Guice and Michel better. They are used to the hard runs through the trenches of NFL Jr. I see them as better all around players that it takes more than a shoestring to stop them. That below 5 ypc average for Barkley with all those long runs does not bode well for the speed of the NFL defenses. Something I just don't trust about not having a higher average with so many long run highlights. Tells me he is not the guy to get the 3-4 yd gains before those bursts.

43 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I just like the SEC backs Guice and Michel better. They are used to the hard runs through the trenches of NFL Jr. I see them as better all around players that it takes more than a shoestring to stop them. That below 5 ypc average for Barkley with all those long runs does not bode well for the speed of the NFL defenses. Something I just don't trust about not having a higher average with so many long run highlights. Tells me he is not the guy to get the 3-4 yd gains before those bursts.

Don't want to turn this into another Barkley thread ... BUT ... he never averaged below 5 ypc in any season ... 5.9 last year. Guice 5.3 last year.

He also caught 54 passes for 632 yards for 11.7 ypc  ... Gice caught just 18 passes for 6.9 ypc ... so do you want at look at yards per touch too?

Sure, he was only in the Big Ten, and not the "NFL Jr." (LOL) but somehow guys like Leveon Bell and Ezekial Elliot were able to turn that Big Ten Burst into a salvageable NFL career.

He scored 23 TDs last year. He can run, catch, block ... do it all ... ala Ladanian Tomlinson.

But Tomlinson never won a super bowl and teams find great running backs in the later rounds all the time (we haven't) so let's pass on this exciting playmaker and draft a "perfectly good" running back later.

Zombo

38 minutes ago, Zombo said:

But Tomlinson never won a super bowl and teams find great running backs in the later rounds all the time (we haven't) so let's pass on this exciting playmaker and draft a "perfectly good" running back later.

Alvin Kamara and Kareem Hunt were both 3rd rounders last season.

Its not uncommon, at all.  

7 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Alvin Kamara and Kareem Hunt were both 3rd rounders last season.

Its not uncommon, at all.  

Sure, you hit on one once in a while. And you can get a decent guy like Crow off the street. Like I said I've rarely pimped a RB in the draft ... but this guy is as good a RB prospect as you'll ever see ... don't be disappointed if he's a Brown.

Z

8 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Sure, you hit on one once in a while. And you can get a decent guy like Crow off the street. Like I said I've rarely pimped a RB in the draft ... but this guy is as good a RB prospect as you'll ever see ... don't be disappointed if he's a Brown.

Z

Eh, if they take him with the #4 pick, I won't yell and scream about it. 

That being said, I'd prefer the Browns use one of the their 2nd rounders on a RB and use the #4 on Fitzpatrick, Chubb, etc...

On 4/10/2018 at 7:35 AM, Zombo said:

This the best draft ever to just STAY PUT...

We have the pick of the litter of a QB-rich draft at #1. (we didn't clear the QB room and trade for a one year veteran to "see who's available at 4")

I assume Giants are going QB or trading out with someone going QB ... so it goes QB1 QB2 QB3 ...

We get the BPA at #4.

Who gets the top QB prospect and the top all-around prospect in the same year? We do.

Zombo

Not likely. Look for the Browns to trade down and take Black Lamarkenton, and another fatass OL.

15 hours ago, Zombo said:

So basically you've missed a lot of great RB prospects? ;)

Both your comps trucked defenders in college... DBs and LBs. Don't see that from Barky... at most see him run thru arm-tackles... usually by DBs.

Plus if he turned out to be Alexander...

For me even if the talent is undeniable (debateable), the positional value is not there and the fall off to the next best options is not that great. The latter amplified by the platoon-ibility of the position.

19 hours ago, Zombo said:

Barkley is considered a better draft prospect in NFL circles than those guys were.

NFL Draft grades: Fournette 6.8, Zeke 7.09, Barkley 7.45.

You'd have to back to Adrian Peterson in 2007 to find as highly touted RB prospect. That's years.

Z

Someone is ....as the English say it:  Barking  (Barkling)  Mad.    I am getting a TRII vibe from him.

14 hours ago, Zombo said:

Z

To me it is as much about priorities.    RB is not a huge priority for the Browns at this point...imo....such that we can bypass other....perhaps as good or better players...at positions of greater need and/or impact.  We have a Mr. Inside and a Mr. Outside.   Hyde and Duke.   I tell you from what I recall Carlos Hyde had as good or better college career as did Barkley. 

Of course, we will take the QB.....but beyond that I see a  DB or a DL as being something that we can use more.   I would not mind having Barkley...and if we get him I hope he is the second coming of Leroy Kelly (no one should be so foolish to say the second coming of Jim Brown)....but if we had another major stud DL  (I want our own version of the Fearsome Foursome)....or another  Ronnie Lott or Deion Sanders......it would serve us better.

Carlos Hyde College stats:

Rushing & Receiving

Rushing Receiving Scrimmage
Year School Conf Class Pos G Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
Career Ohio State         523 3198 6.1 37 34 271 8.0 4 557 3469 6.2 41
*2010 Ohio State Big Ten FR RB 7 24 141 5.9 0         24 141 5.9 0
*2011 Ohio State Big Ten SO RB 13 106 566 5.3 6 10 73 7.3 0 116 639 5.5 6
2012 Ohio State Big Ten JR RB 10 185 970 5.2 16 8 51 6.4 1 193 1021 5.3 17
*2013 Ohio State Big Ten SR RB 11 208 1521 7.3 15 16 147 9.2 3 224 1668 7.4 18

Saquon Barkley college stats

Rushing & Receiving

Rushing Receiving Scrimmage
Year School Conf Class Pos G Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
Career Penn State         671 3843 5.7 43 102 1195 11.7 8 773 5038 6.5 51
*2015 Penn State Big Ten FR RB 11 182 1076 5.9 7 20 161 8.1 1 202 1237 6.1 8
*2016 Penn State Big Ten SO RB 14 272 1496 5.5 18 28 402 14.4 4 300 1898 6.3 22
*2017 Penn State Big Ten JR RB 13 217 1271 5.9 18 54 632 11.7 3 271 1903 7.0 21

Nope.  What goes around comes around little faggots.  Remember they wouldn't trade us Garoppolo?  They said they'd do him right by sending him the San Fran instead of Cleveland.  F off.  You aren't getting the QB YOU want now.  ROT.

6 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Everything...

And when you look at everything you see that Hyde was likely the better runner in college.....and that Barkley was the better receiver out of the backfield. 

And now...in the Browns scheme of things.....they have Duke to be the receiving RB.....as well as Landry at slot....and a couple of TEs.....and they have Hyde to run the ball.

So....to me...having Barkley would be nice....but it would be a luxury.  He would play a role that we would/could already have covered with  Hyde/Barkley...and maybe a 2d rounder.   And we can use that high pick on other priorities.

I guess let's ask this question:    Who would be better to get the tough yardage on 3rd and 2 or 3rd and 1?   I think Hyde likely over Barkley.  

Bottom line....I think I would rather have a Chubb or Fitzpatrick at #4 than Barkley.  

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

I tell you from what I recall Carlos Hyde had as good or better college career as did Barkley. 

So the above is no longer the discussion?

Now it's, "Who can pound out a yard or two in a run situation?" And/or, "Who we'd draft?"

Man, a lot changes in an hour...

19 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Dorsey is not choosing the QB. Hue is.  Hue loves Black Lamarkenton. 

All he has to do is team with DePud, convince Haslam that Lamar is jst as good, that he fits Hue's offense, that we will have a lower salary burden and more picks. EASY SELL with a cheap owner. The Browns trading out of #1 is NOT even a stretch.

The report is Hue loves Darnold- the smoke is so thick, no report is believable with the draft two weeks away...  OTOH, Haslam is so cheap he spent millions of his own money upgrading the stadium, and just spent $73 million to sign Jarvis Landry to a long term deal. We finally land a star player, and some of this crazy crew (not you) are bitching we're spending too much money.  :lol:

15 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Not likely. Look for the Browns to trade down and take Black Lamarkenton, and another fatass OL.

Bet you a bottle of Zaya against Ag's Diplomatico we don't take Jackson or a OL in the first round....  

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

or a OL in the first round....  

were all out of sumo wrestlers from last season;)but how bout a Rugby player at tackle?  https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/4/12/17230052/browns-hosting-australian-rugby-player-jordan-mailata-for-pre-draft-visit  almost every team football forum (i spy) talk this guy up & why is he even Draftable? now on our 30 invite list..

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

The report is Hue loves Darnold- the smoke is so thick, no report is believable with the draft two weeks away...  OTOH, Haslam is so cheap he spent millions of his own money upgrading the stadium, and just spent $73 million to sign Jarvis Landry to a long term deal. We finally land a star player, and some of this crazy crew (not you) are bitching we're spending too much money.  :lol:

Bet you a bottle of Zaya against Ag's Diplomatico we don't take Jackson or a OL in the first round....  

Dude, I am not betting on this pooper sport, and jackoff team. Why don't we find a bird sitting on a tomato stick and bet whether it schitts first or flies away?

I bet on the Browns the last 2 years not to win 4 games, I am betting it again. They suck and they will CONTINUE to suck................. the 2018 draft will have no effect on this team.

I would have taken 3 wins or less, Vegas is giving 4.5. I win again.

10 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

Dude, I am not betting on this pooper sport, and jackoff team. Why don't we find a bird sitting on a tomato stick and bet whether it schitts first or flies away?

I bet on the Browns the last 2 years not to win 4 games, I am betting it again. They suck and they will CONTINUE to suck................. the 2018 draft will have no effect on this team.

I would have taken 3 wins or less, Vegas is giving 4.5. I win again.

hey man did your case of the herpes finally clear up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i'm just a concerned poster is all

Archived