THE BROWNS BOARD

Pluto this week

Westside Steve

And I thought Darnold or Rosen was a lock? But Terry says.....

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- ESPN's Mel Kiper has been pushing Josh Allen to the Cleveland Browns at No. 1 in the 2018 NFL Draft. Perhaps he's right.

I still think the Browns will probably take USC quarterback Sam Darnold, but there's a reason I use the word "probably." I'm not sure.

I do know the Browns have been looking closely at Allen, the Wyoming quarterback........

Hmmmmm?

27 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

And I thought Darnold or Rosen was a lock? But Terry says.....

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- ESPN's Mel Kiper has been pushing Josh Allen to the Cleveland Browns at No. 1 in the 2018 NFL Draft. Perhaps he's right.

I still think the Browns will probably take USC quarterback Sam Darnold, but there's a reason I use the word "probably." I'm not sure.

I do know the Browns have been looking closely at Allen, the Wyoming quarterback........

Hmmmmm?

I've been thinking it's between Darnold or Allen since the Browns traded the top pick of the 3rd round for Tyrod. 

Seems like a heavy investment in a bridge QB to then take a QB like Rosen or Mayfield who could quickly take over the starting job, at least to me it does. 

Who knows... The only think I feel certain about is that the Browns will take a QB at #1.... Now at #4? Barkley? Perhaps? Fitzpatrick? Could be the one. Chubb? To pair with Garrett? Sure. Trade down? Wouldn't shock me in the least. 

9 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I've been thinking it's between Darnold or Allen since the Browns traded the top pick of the 3rd round for Tyrod. 

Seems like a heavy investment in a bridge QB to then take a QB like Rosen or Mayfield who could quickly take over the starting job, at least to me it does. 

Who knows... The only think I feel certain about is that the Browns will take a QB at #1.... Now at #4? Barkley? Perhaps? Fitzpatrick? Could be the one. Chubb? To pair with Garrett? Sure. Trade down? Wouldn't shock me in the least. 

Seems to me Rosen is the only guy close to being able to start day 1. But this wouldn't be the first time in NFL history that somebody was putting up a smoked green.

And I really wish Connor Williams seemed like more of a bona fide first round guy.

WSS

21 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

When they had 12 picks 7 in the top 100+ it looked like they were just making a young team younger now they have made them better not just younger both at quarterback and WR. I still think that they can make the defense solid until the offense comes around.

Trade up, down, hold who knows now sure but it will be interesting in 19 days......and we've been waiting since the last steelers game!

20 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Seems to me Rosen is the only guy close to being able to start day 1. But this wouldn't be the first time in NFL history that somebody was putting up a smoked green.

And I really wish Connor Williams seemed like more of a bona fide first round guy.

WSS

I also agree with all of this too... If the Browns end up drafting Rosen specifically, then it was well-played by Dorsey and Co. because while there's been rumors about Darnold and Allen, (and to a lesser extent Mayfield) Rosen's name doesn't seem to ever be connected to the Browns. 

What's your thoughts on McClinchey from the Irish?

30 minutes ago, LaDexter said:

This OT class is a flat out disaster.  

4 go 1st round next season..what's your option on Pitts. LT Brian O'Neill? could be had in 2nd or 3rd round..has not miss a game in 38 straight. lots of game film,including Chubb, easy to gain weight at 6'7"

1 hour ago, LaDexter said:

This OT class is a flat out disaster.  

McGlinchey is tall with high hips and doesn't have great bend, and was consistently beaten in pass protection as a result.

Connor Williams has injury issues, short arms, and erratic tape.

Rankins of Miss St. may not make it in the NFL as either an OG or an OT.

Orlando Brown Jr. is stiff and unathletic.

I personally think NE will reach for Austin Corbett of Nevada in Round 1 for their OLT.  He may not be worth that pick, but he isn't a complete disaster either.

Best long term OL and OLT prospect in this Draft = Matt Gono of Wesley College, who will need a year to learn NFL OL scheme.

Desmond Harrison ....... if he can stay clean ........ been a model student for a while now.......

6 hours ago, LBC mike said:

Who ever we take our glaring hole is left tackle.  Good point mentioned in the article.

I honestly want us to take shock and awe at 1 and 4 which to me is the best QB and then Barkley at 4. I have to say though you could build a case to take Nelson at 4 and push Bitonio to LT. 

16 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

I honestly want us to take shock and awe at 1 and 4 which to me is the best QB and then Barkley at 4. I have to say though you could build a case to take Nelson at 4 and push Bitonio to LT. 

I know Bitonio played some LT in college, but there's a very good chance he's not LT-caliber in the pros. I think that would be a very questionable move. 

I don't want to trade out of #4.  I want a blue chipper who will contribute from day one there.  No gettin' cute.  We've got two picks at the top of round two to add more pretty decent talent.  That's three guys that should pretty much help right away.  And our QB of the future at #1 overall.  

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I know Bitonio played some LT in college, but there's a very good chance he's not LT-caliber in the pros. I think that would be a very questionable move.

Joel was a LT option once, but no longer. He's now a square bodied interior OL.

It's not a very good OT class. Most days I think there may be one prospect that's worth a late first... and most of those days it's Rankins, who I've watched for two years.

There are Day 2 developmental prospects, including Pitt's O'Neill in addition to the Round One projections who should fall.

Day 3? A couple there as well led by TCU's Joe Noteboom.

11 minutes ago, macula31 said:

Hopefully Shon Coleman can be a nice surprise at LT.  JT seems to think he might, but JT also is a bit more positive than he should be sometimes.

Good chance he performs better. His Auburn tape at LT looked better than he showed at RT for us... movement was smoother, more natural on the left side.

10 hours ago, LaDexter said:

O'Neill is a good athlete with thin legs who gets overpowered.

Height has nothing to do with weight potential.  FRAME matters.  O'Neill is not a naturally big framed guy.  He and Erving are somewhat similar prospects.  If we take O'Neill, perhaps Hue and Co will put him inside and watch him get even more overpowered....

I thought the same thing about McGlitchey - standing next to Quenton Nelson- McC looks a little taller but narrowly built. Just an observation. 

I still believe Barkley is the guy #1 and then you add the QB. Whichever one you draft @ 4 turns into a combo upgrade on offense, and if that's the goal- improving the offense- that does it. Not only improving the offensive firepower while Taylor is here but Barkley becomes a Veteran player when the rook is ready to take the reigns. Flame me all you want for Hogan but this philosophy is solid.

27 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

I still believe Barkley is the guy #1 and then you add the QB. Whichever one you draft @ 4 turns into a combo upgrade on offense, and if that's the goal- improving the offense- that does it. Not only improving the offensive firepower while Taylor is here but Barkley becomes a Veteran player when the rook is ready to take the reigns. Flame me all you want for Hogan but this philosophy is solid.

Taking a RB #1 is never a solid philosophy, and I like Barkley.

Regardless, it isn't happening. 

On 4/7/2018 at 10:56 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Taking a RB #1 is never a solid philosophy, and I like Barkley.

Regardless, it isn't happening. 

Especially when you look at the depth of the class.

Archived