THE BROWNS BOARD

Kevin Hogan Traded

MLD Woody

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Here's a quick trivia answer for you. Were you aware that the high water mark for the 1900 hurricane was actually lower in the Moody Mansion than Hurricane Ike in 2008?

Speaking of Galveston attractions... put this relatively new one at the top of your list: https://www.thebryanmuseum.org/

Huge collection of western art and memorabilia with an appropriate focus on Texas.

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I thought you were in a suburb.  How close to the Gulf are you?

Couple hundred miles away... ;)

But, yes, for a long time I lived in LaPorte which is on Galveston Bay... or I should say was on. Hurricane Ike put my house in the Bay to the tune of  ~3'. As hurricane's go Ike was pretty tame, but it hit at the perfect spot to maximize storm surge in the confines of Galveston Bay.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mike H said:

I'm not exactly sure yet. Hbu?

I'm in law school so haven't had the time to do a lot of work on them, but started a couple of days ago. I came into this weekend with Mayfield as my top guy, based purely on subjective impressions and from watching live games and limited tape.

Now, I like 3 of the 4 a good amount, and the 4th I'm kinda fading away from (Rosen). I haven't looked at Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph yet.

Right now I think It's between Darnold and Allen for me. These are some quick summaries of what I've wrote on each:

Darnold: Pretty solid all around. I'm still working on him (only watched one game vs UCLA), but my first impression is excellent. Arm good enough. Not sure about his mechanics. I wrote down to look closer into them.

-Baker: His offensive scheme scares me. Although, he did complete an incredibly high amount of passes, he wasn't challenged most of the time. Big 12 concepts are a joke, but he did execute at such a high level you can't ignore it. His attitude is a positive to me - I think his guys will buy-in and he'll be a good leader (sans crotch grab, maybe a little too firey for even my liking).

-Rosen: I just don't see it. I like him, but I'm not there yet. May need to watch more. I'm annoyed that people want you to see Goff when you watch Rosen, but I don't. I liked Wentz over Goff, and I like Goff miles better than Rosen. His line was rough at times, but he also shrinks in high-leverage spots, namely third downs, and doesn't read the field as well as you'd think with someone touted as being as well-rounded of a prospect as he is. He's also basically immobile. He offers nothing as far as mobility is concerned. That's not a deal-breaker, but when you aren't seeing the field well AND can't scramble to buy yourself time, it's an issue.

-Allen: Accuracy concerns seem to be overblown. I don't see the guy the stats depict; there are countless drops in high leverage situations, and dropped TDs. Play-recognition and ability to read defenses is my issue with him, especially seeing his misread on that basic play that Orlovsky highlighted on Twitter yesterday). Other than that, he is an incredible, phenom prospect with everything you want, and everything you cannot teach. Reminds me a lot of a Kap/Matt Stafford hybrid. Yes I realize this may not be a great thing.

lol... well pretty much flip your list... In other words our record is safe.

• Major Rosen backer here... my 2018 theme is: When you see a floor this high, don't worry about ceilings. I have him rated slightly higher than Goff, who I had fairly higher than Wentz primarily due to resume depth and competition level.
  • After some gap Mayfield is my #2. Agree on the scheme concerns, but I see tools and drive. I do think the drive is a double edged thing. I am not sure he will "sit and learn" well. I also see continuity with Tyrod Taylor, but not sure that's a good thing.
  • Darnold is my reluctant #3. I keep trying to tell myself that he succeeds despite all his mechanics issues... but I can't get comfortable with him.
  • Allen? Of the top four, he clearly has the farthest to go to reach "NFL level" play. And while that in itself is not a disqualifier, I simply don't see the path to success for him. He makes inaccurate throws for reasons I cannot discern and what you cannot identify you cannot fix. On top of that he makes bad, or no, decisions for one reason... he does not see the field well.
  • Jackson? I can see his upside, but not his survival.

Good luck in school... is Sports agent in your future?

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

lol... well pretty much flip your list... In other words our record is safe.

• Major Rosen backer here... my 2018 theme is: When you see a floor this high, don't worry about ceilings. I have him rated slightly higher than Goff, who I had fairly higher than Wentz primarily due to resume depth and competition level.
  • After some gap Mayfield is my #2. Agree on the scheme concerns, but I see tools and drive. I do think the drive is a double edged thing. I am not sure he will "sit and learn" well. I also see continuity with Tyrod Taylor, but not sure that's a good thing.
  • Darnold is my reluctant #3. I keep trying to tell myself that he succeeds despite all his mechanics issues... but I can't get comfortable with him.
  • Allen? Of the top four, he clearly has the farthest to go to reach "NFL level" play. And while that in itself is not a disqualifier, I simply don't see the path to success for him. He makes inaccurate throws for reasons I cannot discern and what you cannot identify you cannot fix. On top of that he makes bad, or no, decisions for one reason... he does not see the field well.
  • Jackson? I can see his upside, but not his survival.

Good luck in school... is Sports agent in your future?

Good stuff. Us having opposite lists is actually the least surprising thing ever, maybe.

Not exactly sure what I'm doing in law school. Hated engineering, so doing something totally opposite. Have met some pretty cool people who might be able to help if I decide to go the agent route. We'll see. Planning to do a football scouting course this summer and see how that goes. Both are really tough fields to get into. Met a former agent who does Labor and Employment law for athletes (workers comp and some other things), which seems pretty cool, and a more realistic option.

14 minutes ago, Mike H said:

Good stuff. Us having opposite lists is actually the least surprising thing ever, maybe.

Not exactly sure what I'm doing in law school. Hated engineering, so doing something totally opposite. Have met some pretty cool people who might be able to help if I decide to go the agent route. We'll see. Planning to do a football scouting course this summer and see how that goes. Both are really tough fields to get into. Met a former agent who does Labor and Employment law for athletes (workers comp and some other things), which seems pretty cool, and a more realistic option.

... and nothing says you can't reverse engineer the former agent's career.

Speaking of "engineer".... I was one as well. Once had an HR buddy at Corporate HQ share my results of a preference test our employer administered. My ideal field? Law... Clearly we both loved to argue.

You'll figure out a path...

57 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Speaking of "engineer".... I was one as well. Once had an HR buddy at Corporate HQ share my results of a preference test our employer administered. My ideal field? Law... Clearly we both loved to argue.

37 years into it.

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

No doubt. Excited to be at least on some kind of path that I can see myself settling in to for the long haul.

Back to Rosen briefly - I do not have a problem with him, just soured a little after watching some of him over the weekend. Probably need to watch more before I write him off because there's a lot to like, and I went into watching the QBs with him 2nd behind Baker.

9 minutes ago, Mike H said:

No doubt. Excited to be at least on some kind of path that I can see myself settling in to for the long haul.

Back to Rosen briefly - I do not have a problem with him, just soured a little after watching some of him over the weekend. Probably need to watch more before I write him off because there's a lot to like, and I went into watching the QBs with him 2nd behind Baker.

As long as you land doing something you love doing... and can make a living... the rest is gravy.

Rosen for me was love at 2nd sight... and that's only because my first love this class was my 2018 Darkhorse, UVA's Kurt Benkert. Happened on Kurt one weekend and his mechanics caught my eye right off.

A couple weeks later I watched my first UCLA and saw "Benkert+" in Rosen... great mechanics, but with heightened processing speed. Not perfect, but good enough to set a high bar that he sustained thru breakdowns and no one else in this class approached.

Archived