THE BROWNS BOARD

Jeff Janis Signed.

darren15

Ex Packers Wide Receiver is a Brown

Jeff Janis’ time in Green Bay is over. He’s signing with the Cleveland Browns, per league source. Big blow to #Packers special teams.

18 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

A body. Had good measurable but didn’t convert it to much.

True but in fairness it was buried pretty deep on an impressive depth chart. The few times I have put him on the field as a receiver he seems to produce. I think it's 63 running a 44 opposite Gordon with Landry in the slot he may surprise

Welcome Jeff Janis!!..I remembered a cool video story on this guy.. (neither Jeff nor Wife knew gender of 1st baby.A family member loaded powder.Thats his Dad's backyard)

just posted about ride to Dads to Michigan vacation & drive right thru Janis's hometown of Tawas City,Mi. just outside Bay City. Janis is another safe kickoff return guy with no turnovers. Liked his combine speed of 4.42 at 6'3" 219..killer 3 cone of 6.64...20 shuttle of 3.98..Carries some smarts with 30 on wonderlic..(hey & for those keeping score at home..He's White'ish;)

8 hours ago, Orion said:

At 6'3 - 219 lb...he must look good getting off the bus.  An upgrade over Sammy Coates?  

Janis is 26 with all the Combine skills that Fred Biletnikoff was never tested for.. https://www.totalpackers.com/2018/03/good-luck-in-finding-a-wide-receiver-in-the-2018-draft/  buried behind some WR's at Packers, a browns roster has not seen far before the Ray Farmer boycott of WR's.

Janis really stood out at the combine and I wished the Browns would have drafted him. He's got size, speed, great hands and runs great routes. So with all this, it was never clear to me why he wasn't the number 2 behind Nelson. I don't think he ever achieved his potential because he wasn't used properly. Sure hope the Browns use him the right way and not waste him on ST.

On 3/26/2018 at 5:56 PM, cvcanedy said:

Good data, Gip.  I struggle with the correlation, though, assuming someone thinks there is one. Maybe I’m wrong.

I think I think Janis is good for 6+ TD's across from Gordon with Landry in the middle if they play him as a starter. 

Janis is a outside Gunner on Punts & KO's..GB ranked like 5th against returns..wonder if Cribbs had any feedback in decision? It's a fun position to play & Janis fits it well..

3 hours ago, LaDexter said:

Then again, one team spent a First Round pick on Cam Erving and failed to notice he was an OT, not an interior OL.... and, now, who needs an OLT and who isn't a Brown....???

Nice going, Hue....

tia beat me to rebutting Cam... but left me the OLT to address. Need there is TBD............................................................................................ but Cam sure as hell was not the answer.

Turns out I could not resist a good, Cam pile-on.

Welcome... interesting comment on Janis. Does he really flip his hips well?

1 minute ago, LaDexter said:

After you idiots wrecked him inside.

Initially, he was fine at OLT filling in for JT his first preseason...

and then someone moved him inside, where his long frame was never suited to go...

Yes, Cam’s move inside with the Browns is totally why he completely blows. It had nothing to do with his lack of skill, strength, or athleticism.

8 minutes ago, LaDexter said:

After you idiots wrecked him inside.

Initially, he was fine at OLT filling in for JT his first preseason...

and then someone moved him inside, where his long frame was never suited to go...

One pre-season game, eh?  By this logic something went wrong with Brady between his debut and then regular season performances.  We must have wrecked him by asking him to actually push the ball vertically.  

Cam's feet were/are trash, length be damned.  Oline isn't even my thing and I saw that.

Anywho back to our regularly schedule program - Janis at DB, eh?  Physically it makes sense.  Mentally and technically on the other hand....

1 minute ago, LaDexter said:

Pro Bowl Gunner....

yeah, the "mentality" is there, even for Strong Safety.....

Ever see Janis hit someone as a gunner?

You have all these huge guys at WR and TE these days.

Janis can hang with all of them.   Size/speed/turning/ball tracking/tackling is all there.

Mentally I meant by key recognition, route concept recognition, understanding his own place within a defense and where he helps/help is... comfortable aligning and potentially making secondary calls and shifts, mirroring receivers,  etc etc.  DB goes far beyond "big, strong, fast" or Taylor Mays might be the GOAT.  

That said, as intriguing as it is - can't see someone 4-5 years in the league making that transition after having played with a future HoF QB and being able to impart that knowledge and experience on this young team.  But I've been wrong before....   

18 minutes ago, LaDexter said:
  1. Is it OK to suggest looking at Janis at DB, or
  2. are there an endless "they know better than you" parrots here....
  1. Sure... novel thoughts are always welcome.
  2. Don't know about "parrots", but there are many of us here that break down tape, think for ourselves and disagree when it's warranted... and in the case of your stance on Cam, it's warranted.

Preseason? Really... that's your argument?

21 minutes ago, LaDexter said:

I still to this day cannot believe anyone who looks at Cam's body would put him inside.  He really isn't even an ORT.  He is strictly an OLT, and a freakish athlete before his injuries.

We drafted him to play inside... where Les Myles put him because Cam was at best average at LT.

We drafted him to play Center... a mistake, but an understandable one as for some reasons LSU's opponents never put anyone on his nose which would have exposed his lack of leverage... of ability to anchor.

Since we're dragging up old work to validate our introductions, here's my summary take on Erving as a 2015 Prospect:

His OT tape showed why a move inside was a better bet for his Pro prospects because it could not have hurt them.

4 hours ago, LaDexter said:

Is it OK to suggest looking at Janis at DB, or are there an endless "they know better than you" parrots here....

It's that they know better ... it's that you don't know shit.

Z

On 4/2/2018 at 8:41 PM, BrownB499 said:

Cam was a Seminole

lol... I have made Cam a Tiger in my head more times than I can count.

Fortunately I had a lot of peeps around here to help me...

Archived