THE BROWNS BOARD

Is this a playoff team?

Dawgs89

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Post one right after the draft.

Ķind of reminds me that I have my SIPERBOWL XVIII (I think it was) T SHIRT, somewhere, closet, box?

Bought it at the Ol' Municipal Stadium after the BROWNS beat I believe that it was the Jets and we were all jazzed up about Brian Sipe leading our CLEVELAND BROWNS to the promise land......oh yeah!

It's now what SB LIII?

HOPE ALWAYS SPRINGS ETERNAL IN CLEVELAND, OHIO......baby!     ;)

......well at least I got to see Jim Brown lead the BROWNS to a championship when I was 13, I'll be 68 this next Super Bowl. PLAYOFFS.....baby!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We may win the Draft... again. So there's that...

But will we go undefeated in the Preseason? Again...

8 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Good teams basically rest players in the preseason and search for a few slots, they already know how to win when it counts.

Bad teams tend to do the opposite. Still it should be an interesting draft and camps.

On 3/31/2018 at 8:49 AM, jiggins7919 said:

All of this is just a bloated way of saying we're going to be better, but not a playoff team. It might sound like a cliché, but we never learned HOW to win last year, despite having multiple opportunities. I'm also not confident in our field goal kicker, and I can see THAT costing us multiple chances to win.

Wow, this is exactly what I've been saying. Successful teams have to learn how to win....see the 1985 Browns, vs the 1986 Browns, for example.

The ball has to bounce the Browns way, and they have to take steps to make that happen. We're all hoping for contention/playoffs, but as much of a homer as I am, I don't see that happening in 2018. The schedule is pretty brutal (NFC South, AFC West), and we have to win home games vs our AFC North rivals. It's a lot to ask after 1-31, and even 4-44. 

Nowhere to go but up for sure. We fans have to remain, ugh, patient AGAIN.

11 hours ago, PoeticG said:

The Cleveland Browns are ABSOLUTELEY going to be a PLAYOFF TEAM this season.

Tyrod Taylor and Kevin Hogan are a solid B at QB

Josh Gordon and Jarvis Landry are one of the NFL most scary duos as of this writing. A+ for WR

If the draft pans out correctly and we pick the Elite RB we'll have an A+ running game as well. 

A hot young explosive offense and a young and talented defense with some veteran pieces at key positions. 

Going into our 3rd season with Hue as HC, our 2nd with Gregg Williams and adding a legit OC in Haley is going to pay dividends. 

We are certainly going to be in for a fun and exciting ride- Maybe the best since our 10 win season! 

You realize Hogan will be gone right? Signing Stanton was the kiss of death for him. Just a matter of time 

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

^^jcam222, Realize Poe'g owns a post flame thrower?:ph34r: he realizes nothing..... Am not willing to toss next seasons 1st rounder due to promising LT draftees..But I'd be willing to throw most the 5th,6th & 7ths in this one & next years 2nd & 3rds.. to stay in top 4 to 5 rounds of this Draft..   

20 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Wow, this is exactly what I've been saying. Successful teams have to learn how to win....see the 1985 Browns, vs the 1986 Browns, for example.

The ball has to bounce the Browns way, and they have to take steps to make that happen. We're all hoping for contention/playoffs, but as much of a homer as I am, I don't see that happening in 2018. The schedule is pretty brutal (NFC South, AFC West), and we have to win home games vs our AFC North rivals. It's a lot to ask after 1-31, and even 4-44. 

Nowhere to go but up for sure. We fans have to remain, ugh, patient AGAIN.

We really need to win those games where we're "one play away", ya know?  Last year the Green Bay game comes to mind.  Kizer throws a perfect ball to Njoku on 3rd down which would've run the clock down to basically nothing, but instead he drops it after it LOOKED like he caught it.  Replay confirmed that it hit the ground, which makes it incomplete, which makes the clock stop, we give up the giant punt return, and blah blah blah.  The last game of the year comes to mind against the Steelers, both in 2017 AND 2016.  The JETS game last year, and so on.  Learn how to finish the dang games!!

On 4/1/2018 at 1:49 AM, Dawgs89 said:

I watched the playoffs last year. Both conferences were full of very good, but not elite teams. The SB had two teams with good D's get torched.

In otherwords, it's possible. 

The NE defense was not that good.

IIRC, last in the league. They sucked vs the run and thats why Shelton is there.

On 4/1/2018 at 12:21 PM, jcam222 said:

You realize Hogan will be gone right? Signing Stanton was the kiss of death for him. Just a matter of time 

At best the Browns will try and stash Hogan on the Practice Squad. I looked, and he's still eligible. Camp arm, and nothing more.... 

On 4/1/2018 at 1:42 PM, gumby73 said:

^^jcam222, Realize Poe'g owns a post flame thrower?:ph34r: he realizes nothing..... Am not willing to toss next seasons 1st rounder due to promising LT draftees..But I'd be willing to throw most the 5th,6th & 7ths in this one & next years 2nd & 3rds.. to stay in top 4 to 5 rounds of this Draft..   

Regarding Po- he lives in a fantasy world where the only reason Hogan isn't a starting QB in the NFL is because he's unfairly been relegated to third string on the Browns.... And Saquon? Sheeze, gonna set the rookie- (if not all time) records for rushing and touchdowns. 

Gumby- this may well be a deep draft- but I'm not willing to put all my draft eggs in the 2018 basket. What if some of our picks this year don't pan out? What if some of the guys on the roster  either under perform, or just flat out arent good enough. Plenty of players to choose from in that category. 

with a great draft, I do believe the Browns have a playoff quality team. They were in a lot of games last year...

pass defense was the main aggravating problem, to me. We'll see. It won't be their new qb that gets them there, either.

Going to be a wild ride.

38 minutes ago, hoorta said:

At best the Browns will try and stash Hogan on the Practice Squad. I looked, and he's still eligible. Camp arm, and nothing more.... 

Regarding Po- he lives in a fantasy world where the only reason Hogan isn't a starting QB in the NFL is because he's unfairly been relegated to third string on the Browns.... And Saquon? Sheeze, gonna set the rookie- (if not all time) records for rushing and touchdowns. 

Pretty accurate assessment really. 

I believe in Hogan as a tireless worker, a leader and a genuinely good person, much like I view Saquon. I guess that's why I can get behind these guys because I trust that they will put the work in that I would put in. They will give their all to be the best they can be at what they do. 

I didn't say that Saquon is perfect, or say that he would break all the records. I think that Saquon, just being Saquon- is enough. He is a phenomenal talent, and incredibly- he still has untapped potential. He's a homerun hitter, but you will strike out from time to time.

We could have won so many games if we just had that one big play. It doesn't sound like much, I know. I make it sound like IF Corey Coleman catches a ball for a big gain that that counts. No, it's the play that drops your jaw and you shake your head. It's the play that you look at your friend and neither of you need to say a word- because what you just saw was special. It's the play that makes every player on the sideline believe that we can win this game. 

A Quarterback is only necessary to distribute the ball to the players that make the plays. That and to avoid giving the ball to the other team. It's no surprise or anomaly that the years that we had some success we had big playmakers and an average QB. 

You guys- the media included, make the QB position way too important. The object of the game is to get the ball across the goal and stop the other team from doing it. Really guys, that's it. 

45 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

I believe in Hogan as a tireless worker...

Yet he pales in comparison to you... dammit...

13 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

I believe in Hogan as a tireless worker, a leader and a genuinely good person, much like I view Saquon. I guess that's why I can get behind these guys because I trust that they will put the work in that I would put in. They will give their all to be the best they can be at what they do. 

I didn't say that Saquon is perfect, or say that he would break all the records. I think that Saquon, just being Saquon- is enough. He is a phenomenal talent, and incredibly- he still has untapped potential. He's a homerun hitter, but you will strike out from time to time.

We could have won so many games if we just had that one big play. It doesn't sound like much, I know. I make it sound like IF Corey Coleman catches a ball for a big gain that that counts. No, it's the play that drops your jaw and you shake your head. It's the play that you look at your friend and neither of you need to say a word- because what you just saw was special. It's the play that makes every player on the sideline believe that we can win this game. 

A Quarterback is only necessary to distribute the ball to the players that make the plays. That and to avoid giving the ball to the other team. It's no surprise or anomaly that the years that we had some success we had big playmakers and an average QB. 

You guys- the media included, make the QB position way too important. The object of the game is to get the ball across the goal and stop the other team from doing it. Really guys, that's it. 

Po- sure sometimes the QB isn't important IF the rest of the supporting cast is tremendous. Very average or below average quarterbacks have won Super Bowls like Doug Williams, Jim McMahon, and Trent Dilfer. Nick Foles is the latest example, but that Eagles defense won the game. 

The key to long term sustainable success is to have a true franchise guy at the controls. Green Bay promptly went in the dumpster when Aaron Rodgers got hurt. Need more proof? Brady, Rivers, Brees, Roethlisberger, Ryan- all HOF, Ryan will get there eventually. Going for middle of the road at the most important position on the field (and it isn't running back, by a long shot) is a good recipe for going one and done. I want better than that. Giving away my age, I was five years old when Otto Graham retired, and we're around 60 years overdue to get another HOF QB. 

Regarding Saquon- your problem is- all you're looking at is his home run ability. In all honesty, I think he's going to be well above average in the NFL, but not so much better than the other running backs coming out it warrants using a top 5 pick on him. We've told you around 10 times already- he strikes out a lot, exactly because he's constantly looking for the big play. That's not just us guys in the peanut gallery pointing that out, it's been shown in several videos by professional talent evaluators. He'll dance around instead of taking the sure 3 yards. Hence my Zumba Dancer comment to Ghoolie,  & that's what what worries me. He has impressive stop on a dime cutting ability. But- it will only take one time when he's got that leg already at a crazy angle for a defender to time his shot and break his knee in half. Plus- Barkley is NOT a power runner in the mold of an Earl Campbell. Instead of posting more Saquon videos, go look at some tape of Adrian Peterson- he's everything Saquon is, and more, because in his prime- he usually didn't get tackled by the first guy who hit him. 

Remember they have 5 to 6 wins last year if not for the qb.  Tyrod is an upgrade so 6 to 7 win realistically then at the end of the season darnold starts working in.  Next year I say wild card maybe division but the biggest hurdle is cohesion along the offensive line. 

On 3/31/2018 at 12:10 AM, Dawgs89 said:

Dare I ask It? What do y'all think?

They could not make the NCAA Playoffs. Alabama, Clemson, OSU, Michigan, Penn State and LSU would ALL beat the 2018 Cleveland Browns 2 out of 3 times. This team will not win 4 games.

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Gumby- this may well be a deep draft- but I'm not willing to put all my draft eggs in the 2018 basket. What if some of our picks this year don't pan out? What if some of the guys on the roster  either under perform, or just flat out arent good enough. Plenty of players to choose from in that category. 

H, get use to Dorsey. He left no rocks unturned in KC & no Draft picks to better Chiefs with Alex..I want no rocks left unturned when Hue Jackson is handed talent & He either wins or walks the plank..I'd even be willing to find a trade partner on WR smurf Gary Coleman to get Christian Kirks as a additional 2nd Round pick..If we must.. a 3rd Round wide receiver has hands not made of glass:)

2 hours ago, PoeticG said:

As my boss said to me once "I don't care how hard you work I care about results"    I have no doubt Hogan is a tireless worker and good guy, unfortunately his ability to deliver results is capped well below the necessary level  

4 hours ago, boo fagley said:

The football gods could shine on the Browns.

You dont wish for injuries, but if Ben goes down for 2018 the Steelers are done. Harbawl and Lewis are both on the hot seat because of poor performances.

Not only is Roethlisberger getting near the end, but this will be Antonio Brown's 9th season. 

Their window for a title is closing. Problem is, their biggest nemesis in the AFC could be on the downswing too. 

10 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Not only is Roethlisberger getting near the end, but this will be Antonio Brown's 9th season. 

Their window for a title is closing. Problem is, their biggest nemesis in the AFC could be on the downswing too. 

New offensive coordinator, contract squabbles with Bell and Ive never liked the HC.

3 hours ago, boo fagley said:

New offensive coordinator, contract squabbles with Bell and Ive never liked the HC.

The Bengals are beatable, L. Bell is a multimillionaire crybaby jock, how sad. Big Ben is one hit from extended time off as A. Brown my star FL player is starting to show dings!

SEASON WEEK DESCRIPTION STATUS
2017 DC Calf, Illness Questionable
2017 17 Calf Out
2017 16 Calf Out
2017 13 Toe Questionable
2015 DC Concussion Out
2015 WC Concussion Day-To-Day
2014 2 Not Injury Related Probable

Yeah the BROWNS could possibility win 4 games and if the ball bounces right more, they desperately needed WR help and should have a loaded draft. 

Oh and I'll pass on the Jose Cuervo but will take cash or travellers checks. :D

4 hours ago, mjp28 said:

The Bengals are beatable, L. Bell is a multimillionaire crybaby jock, how sad. Big Ben is one hit from extended time off as A. Brown my star FL player is starting to show dings!

SEASON WEEK DESCRIPTION STATUS
2017 DC Calf, Illness Questionable
2017 17 Calf Out
2017 16 Calf Out
2017 13 Toe Questionable
2015 DC Concussion Out
2015 WC Concussion Day-To-Day
2014 2 Not Injury Related Probable

Yeah the BROWNS could possibility win 4 games and if the ball bounces right more, they desperately needed WR help and should have a loaded draft. 

Oh and I'll pass on the Jose Cuervo but will take cash or travellers checks. :D

what about bitcoin ?

8 hours ago, boo fagley said:

Ill take that bet for a bottle of Jose Quirvo 1800. You have about $30 to spend on your end.

You wont bet me though.

You may want to reconsider that bet.

Say what you will about Ghoolie---I've been on this board for 8 years and every year his season win/loss prediction is dead on. 

10 hours ago, boo fagley said:

Ill take that bet for a bottle of Jose Quirvo 1800. You have about $30 to spend on your end.

You wont bet me though.

He won't take those Lamar Jackson bets either...  

1 hour ago, Dste Ace said:

Say what you will about Ghoolie---I've been on this board for 8 years and every year his season win/loss prediction is dead on. 

A stopped clock is right twice a day. Ghoolie logic: Browns have sucked for the last 20 years, therefore, they will suck this year too. The draft hasn't even happened yet and he's predicting a win loss total? I'd like to have his crystal ball spit out the winning Powerball numbers for me. :)  

1 hour ago, Dste Ace said:

Then Ghoolie should take my bet and as many as he can find.

Or, you and I could bet?

4 hours ago, syd said:

what about bitcoin ?

Damm fake currency!

DQdX7ZHU8AApnyp.jpg

On 3/31/2018 at 12:26 PM, hoorta said:

Dare I ask, did you watch any of the playoffs last year? Improved, but still a long way to go....  

Improved? WTF are you drinking, dude. The Browns are 0 - 16. They haven't played a fukcing game or added a single top-eschalon player. Every fukcing year you bring your wrinkles butt out here and slobber on about how we have beeter playes, a better management team, better philosophy, and blah blah blah fukcing blah............ Every year since 199 you do this bullschidt, and NOT ONCE............... EVER............... have you been correct.

You talk about "we already have wins in the bag?" I guess those teams we have in the bag will just not show up on game day?

This team is as big of a bag of schidt than it was in 2017.

You like to blabber about BETS? OK, tell me which teams you guarantee we have a win against? You said we already have wins in the bag? $2,500 says you can't name the guaranteed wins. THere is your bullschidt Larry. Tell us, which wins are in the bag already? 

5 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

Improved? WTF are you drinking, dude. The Browns are 0 - 16. They haven't played a fukcing game or added a single top-eschalon player. Every fukcing year you bring your wrinkles butt out here and slobber on about how we have beeter playes, a better management team, better philosophy, and blah blah blah fukcing blah............ Every year since 199 you do this bullschidt, and NOT ONCE............... EVER............... have you been correct.

You talk about "we already have wins in the bag?" I guess those teams we have in the bag will just not show up on game day?

This team is as big of a bag of schidt than it was in 2017.

You like to blabber about BETS? OK, tell me which teams you guarantee we have a win against? You said we already have wins in the bag? $2,500 says you can't name the guaranteed wins. THere is your bullschidt Larry. Tell us, which wins are in the bag already? 

I thought you were giving up the NFL and the Browns for the XFL?

You seemed awfully wrapped up emotionally in something you aren't going to follow anymore.

Archived