• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, darren15 said:

Just missing a head coach and 1 or 2 playmakers

That's what I call a 'No'.

2 hours ago, Dawgs89 said:

Dare I ask It? What do y'all think?

Watching any game from any other team last year was enlightening to see how far the Browns were from being competitive. Everything had to go our we so we had a chance to win. 

Has the roster improved? Yes. Was it easy to improve? Yes. 

Even if you consider that we have improved our roster by A LOT, many times teams with best individual players don't perform to the level that's expected from them. 

But having said all that... I'm intrigued to see what the Browns really got this year ;)

They nail the draft, esp at QB, and they might be the new team to beat in AFCN . They're young and we will be getting some much better talent in key positions. 

Not this year, but should be consistently getting in  over the next 5-10 years if all goes well 

46 minutes ago, SD_Tom said:

They nail the draft, esp at QB, and they might be the new team to beat in AFCN . They're young and we will be getting some much better talent in key positions. 

Not this year, but should be consistently getting in  over the next 5-10 years if all goes well 

This team? No barring the best draft of the last 25+ years. Plus 5-10 years in professional sports is an eternity except if you're as bad as the BROWNS have been running a franchise since the 1990s.  2018 should be a losing proposition, maybe 8-8 with some luck in 2019, the only hope is that some of the top AFC teams suddenly just tank.

Will there be any rookie savior quarterbacks coming out of this draft, who knows but I doubt it in any case might have to wait a few years to see what happens. 

ODDS TO WIN 2018-19 AFC CHAMPIONSHIP (1/19/19) - vegasinsider.com 3/30/2018
Team Odds
New England Patriots 12/5
Pittsburgh Steelers 5/1
Houston Texans 10/1
Jacksonville Jaguars 10/1
Oakland Raiders 13/1
Los Angeles Chargers 14/1
Denver Broncos 15/1
Kansas City Chiefs 16/1
Baltimore Ravens... just Pittsburgh again? No WC teams? 18/1
Indianapolis Colts 20/1
Tennessee Titans 25/1
Buffalo Bills 40/1
Cincinnati Bengals...the AFCN might be weak 45/1
Miami Dolphins 50/1
New York Jets 50/1
Cleveland Browns....put your money here? Not really not yet. 55/1

I was contemplating creating a thread called "Pre-Draft Expectations for 2018", but this is basically the same thing. The interesting thing is our team APPEARS to be greatly improved even before the draft, and I'm not so sure we don't have a few tricks up our sleeve to add another skilled veteran or two come draft day. However, as it currently stands we have a "good" starting QB, and he's well known to be the hardest worker in the building. Former Browns Daily host and current Buffalo Bills personality Vic Carucci said Tyrod is the consummate professional, and he's the literally the first one to the building, and last one to leave. However, Tyrod isn't without concerns, and I do think there will be several games where he drives us insane. 

Why? First off, Tyrod lead the entire league in time delivering the ball. In other words, he held onto the ball longer than anyone else after the snap (I'm 99% sure of this stat. I know Tyrod and Aaron Rodgers were somewhat close). Some of this can be attributed to Tyrod's ability to run and elude pressure, and that can be a GOOD thing, but holding onto the ball is also a symptom of indecision and not trusting his ability. Tyrod doesn't throw many interceptions, and again, a GOOD thing, but he's also extremely cautious and will not take enough chances. Sometimes you have to give your guys a chance to make a play, especially if you have people like Njoku, Gordon, and Landry. Will Tyrod be able to let it fly? Will his cautious approach jive with Hue and Haley? Tyrod is the "dump off king", and this bodes well for Duke and Landry, but less so for Gordon and probably Njoku. I'm interested to see how our offense looks this year, that's for sure. 

Defensively, I'm not sure what to expect. We were terrible in two key statistics last year. Forcing turnovers and stopping teams in the red zone. We don't figure those things out and we're not going to win too many games. This isn't to say we didn't have our chances. Too many times our players dropped interceptions (some potential pick-6's), didn't recover fumbles, or failed to punch the ball out when the QB had it exposed. Our forced turnovers should increase with the additions of our secondary signings and the hopeful improvement of people like Garrett and Ogbah. Additionally, I wasn't pleased with the play of Peppers last year, but now he can move into strong safety, and there's a chance he flourishes at his more natural position. We lost the out of place Danny Shelton on the line, but I believe our coaches were quite impressed with our rookies Ogunjobi and Brantley. In fact, if we assume Jamie Collins comes back healthy from his knee injury, our front 7 is actually looking....well....GOOD? 

All of this is just a bloated way of saying we're going to be better, but not a playoff team. It might sound like a cliché, but we never learned HOW to win last year, despite having multiple opportunities. I'm also not confident in our field goal kicker, and I can see THAT costing us multiple chances to win. When you have a guy like Tyrod who doesn't take a ton of chances, you HAVE to have a reliable kicker. Tyrod will pull the ball down and take off if he doesn't see what he wants, or he'll toss it out of bounds. These can be great moves by a QB (ahem, Kizer) but if you're going to do that, you need to have a kicker who can consistently knock it through the uprights or else your offense comes away with nothing and your entire team is deflated. There aren't many bigger swings in momentum than a nice drive that comes away with no points. Can Zane lock the job down? Can he even be a weapon for us? Can we depend on him to win us the game when it's all on the line? 

Like I said in another post, much of our offensive success will hinge on Josh Gordon. Not everyone has a guy like Josh, and with an entire season of conditioning with the team, it's safe to say he could be primed for a nice season. Josh's ability to get vertical has the chance to open everything up for our other weapons, especially in the middle. Ironically, I'm more concerned with our RUNNING game than I am with our passing game. How crazy is that? Which rookie are we going to draft? Can Carlos Hyde stay healthy and make enough plays to move the ball and keep defenses honest? Can our rookie provide us with a little boost? (I'm assuming we draft one). Can we figure out how to get Duke more involved? 

I don't think we're a playoff team, but I also don't think it's a crazy question, either. The important thing is for our team to win EARLY in the year. We can't start off 0-3 or something like that. Then the whispers of firing Hue Jackson come out, then the demands of playing our rookie QB materialize, and then you know the rest. We HAVE to win a few games early, even if it's only a record like 2-4 through 6 games. This much I know:  We're going to have a "real team" this year. We have talent on both sides of the ball, we have coaches with legitimate experience, and we finally have a QB who can win some games and take care of the rock. 

would i like to believe the media meatheads are hyping this up again that were getting better? YES! (since 99)..  always #1)Are we better at QB position? from worst to NFL average with both coming in. RB's)-a draw for now.but Haley now owns the keys. WR's)-pends if Gordon/Coleman prefers to play some football? 1 on and off the field/ 1 off the field.. Our OL) were worse at this time, in the worst spot for a QB upgrade..Interior Defense including LB's)-compared to rest of league,maybe 20th to 25th? better without Shelton?..DB's)not hard to beat awful,so we paid (a lot $) for young barely teetering starters..Than we get to Hue Jackson putting all this st(p)ring quartet together..stay tuned..playoffs? can't see it yet..biggest offseason miss? Alex Smith with Haley and some better weapons than Skins at this point-_-     

So hard to say not knowing if we are going to pick Barkley... :o

Seriously... no.

Every team has to learn how to win. And few teams have ever been farther from that knowledge than this one.

#crawlbe4uwalkwalkbe4urunrunb4playoffs

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Seriously... no.

Every team has to learn how to win. And few teams have ever been farther from that knowledge than this one.

But if they get a transcendent talent that shattered all NFL records before playing a snap like Barkley AND a QB who truly loves the game like Allen,...

No can defend,  Daniel-son!

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Seriously... no.

What if Barkley decides not to play football anymore? :o

April Fools, well tomorrow.  Loyola leading Michigan at halftime......not April Fools.

Meanwhile the BROWNS as of this minute still do not have anything near a franchise quarterback,  don't forget that.

Another thing concerning the Browns making a gigantic leap to playoff contender:

Not only were the Browns 1-31 the last two seasons, but they were the worst team vs the spread. Despite what some think, this wasn't a team losing a ton of games by a play here or there. 

Let's walk before we run.

37 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Another thing concerning the Browns making a gigantic leap to playoff contender:

Not only were the Browns 1-31 the last two seasons, but they were the worst team vs the spread. Despite what some think, this wasn't a team losing a ton of games by a play here or there. 

Let's walk before we run.

This team was a D'OH by the other team from a 0-32 and ridiculous 2 x ofer seasons back to back. WHEW!

Let's hope they land a franchise quarterback candidate next year after a nice year this year.......maybe a decent FA QB might actually come to Cleveland. 

GO BROWNS! We love ya'.

18 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

This team was a D'OH by the other team from a 0-32 and ridiculous 2 x ofer seasons back to back. WHEW!

Let's hope they land a franchise quarterback candidate next year after a nice year this year.......maybe a decent FA QB might actually come to Cleveland. 

GO BROWNS! We love ya'.

The Browns are taking a QB with their #1 overall pick THIS draft, no matter how much you and PoG wish it weren't so. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

The Browns are taking a QB with their #1 overall pick THIS draft, no matter how much you and PoG wish it weren't so. :lol:

Probably so.

Here's the crux of Pluto's article, they could not land a true quality FA QB this year (yet). Too bad, they could have really juiced up the defense without picking a college quarterback savior this year, oh well. They can get an adequate RB in R2+.

.........3. Sisson also wrote, "Kessler and (DeShone) Kizer are now gone and I attribute most of the blame for their lack of development to Hue Jackson. Thank goodness a new offensive coordinator has been hired."

4. The trade of Kizer to Green Bay (for Randall) does bother me a bit. The 6-foot-4, 230-pound Kizer does have NFL size and arm strength. Will he become an accurate enough passer? That's a huge question.

5. Going to Green Bay is a break for the Notre Dame product. He can sit behind Aaron Rodgers and be coached by Mike McCarthy. He would have been better off being drafted by Green Bay in the first place.

6. It's also clear Dorsey wants to dramatically change the quarterback room. Adding Drew Stanton brings in a 33-year-old veteran with an 11-6 record as a starter. He is respected, much like Josh McCown. He can work with the young quarterback to be drafted. He also can go in the game and keep things organized.

1 minute ago, mjp28 said:

Probably so.

Here's the crux of Pluto's article, they could not land a true quality FA QB this year (yet). Too bad, they could have really juiced up the defense without picking a college quarterback savior this year, oh well. They can get an adequate RB in R2+.

.........3. Sisson also wrote, "Kessler and (DeShone) Kizer are now gone and I attribute most of the blame for their lack of development to Hue Jackson. Thank goodness a new offensive coordinator has been hired."

4. The trade of Kizer to Green Bay (for Randall) does bother me a bit. The 6-foot-4, 230-pound Kizer does have NFL size and arm strength. Will he become an accurate enough passer? That's a huge question.

5. Going to Green Bay is a break for the Notre Dame product. He can sit behind Aaron Rodgers and be coached by Mike McCarthy. He would have been better off being drafted by Green Bay in the first place.

6. It's also clear Dorsey wants to dramatically change the quarterback room. Adding Drew Stanton brings in a 33-year-old veteran with an 11-6 record as a starter. He is respected, much like Josh McCown. He can work with the young quarterback to be drafted. He also can go in the game and keep things organized.

I really like the way they've set up the QB situation so far, with Taylor and Stanton they've put themselves into position to not have to rush their #1 pick at QB. (Even though I think Taylor is limited as a passer, he won't lose games for the Browns) Both veteran QBs seem to be real professionals. I am frustrated at the idea that the Browns are going to take a QB only to (possibly/probably) fire the head coach and possibly make the rookie learn another system in his second season. 

I'm happy for Kizer, Green Bay is the type of franchise he needed to go to. Who knows if he has any future as a starting QB, but at least now he has a chance to find out the right way. 

Just got this weird feeling that in 2020 Kizer will replace a then unaffordable, 36.5-yo Aaron Rodgers as the Pack's starting QB.

1 minute ago, Tour2ma said:

Just got this weird feeling that in 2020 Kizer will replace a then unaffordable, 36.5-yo Aaron Rodgers as the Pack's starting QB.

Bold prediction, fo shizzle. 

10 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I've been good in FL Land with Rodgers... I was hoping Kizer could have stuck around here as QB2 until the team got righted.

GB may have got a steal......while those crazy BROWNS fans like Dutch ran him out of town like they were chasing the Frankenstein monster. :lol:

16 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

Save this and remind me just how stupid I am later BUT......... I am going yes this team will be at least wildcard contender. 

I'll post another predictions thread right before the season starts... it's nice to have a record of our insane late August optimism!

53 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

Save this and remind me just how stupid I am later BUT......... I am going yes this team will be at least wildcard contender. 

Well let's see from last year,  are they at this level yet? 2018? 2019?

AFC Wild Card Playoffs: Tennessee at Kansas City Titans 22-21 ESPN/ABC  
NFC Wild Card Playoffs: Atlanta at L.A. Rams Falcons 26-13 NBC  
WILD CARD WEEKEND: SUNDAY, JAN. 7
GAME TIME (ET)/SCORE TV TICKETS

AFC Wild Card Playoffs: Buffalo at Jacksonville

Jaguars 10-3 CBS  
NFC Wild Card Playoffs: Carolina at New Orleans Saints 31-26 FOX

The Cleveland Browns are ABSOLUTELEY going to be a PLAYOFF TEAM this season.

Tyrod Taylor and Kevin Hogan are a solid B at QB

Josh Gordon and Jarvis Landry are one of the NFL most scary duos as of this writing. A+ for WR

If the draft pans out correctly and we pick the Elite RB we'll have an A+ running game as well. 

A hot young explosive offense and a young and talented defense with some veteran pieces at key positions. 

Going into our 3rd season with Hue as HC, our 2nd with Gregg Williams and adding a legit OC in Haley is going to pay dividends. 

We are certainly going to be in for a fun and exciting ride- Maybe the best since our 10 win season! 

13 hours ago, hoorta said:

Dare I ask, did you watch any of the playoffs last year? Improved, but still a long way to go....  

I watched the playoffs last year. Both conferences were full of very good, but not elite teams. The SB had two teams with good D's get torched.

In otherwords, it's possible. 

9 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'll post another predictions thread right before the season starts... it's nice to have a record of our insane late August optimism!

Post one right after the draft.

Archived