Allen scored the highest of all top5 prospect:

Allen  37

Rosen 29

Darnold 28

Mayfield 25

Jackson 13

Historically bad score:

Vince young  6

By this score Allen is the smartest and puts Rosen and Darnold about the same.   With Jackson, there's a definite red flag.  Your thoughts?

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/Bolt/Wonderlic-scores-revealed-for-top-QB-prospects-in-2018-NFL-Draft-116830596

well...I think it's more about HOW you learn, than that you were smart enough to learn.

Some people learn by activity/doing, more than reading, some learn by reading more.

I suppose a balanced combination of the two would be good. Maybe mentally multi-tasking

makes the difference.

I reported this elsewhere.....while the NFL may still be administering the Wonderlic.....I think they are relying on it less and less....and have developed an alternative test:

n 2013, the NFL implemented a new psychological test called the NFL Player Assessment Test (NFL-PAT) which measures a wide range of competencies required for success as a player including intelligence as well as personality and motivational factors (e.g., drive, stress tolerance, team orientation). All players attending the National Invitational Combine in Indianapolis from 2013-2016 have been administered the test in order to provide psychological scores to all NFL clubs for use when drafting players. A three-year validation study has recently been completed that demonstrates that the NFL-PAT test scores significantly correlate with player performance outcomes. This presentation reviews the results of the study and discusses how psychological tests like the NFL-PAT can provide additional critical data that can be used in sports analytics to predict performance outcomes.

http://www.sloansportsconference.com/content/nfl-player-assessment-test-using-psychological-tests-predict-player-performance-nfl/

It's been shown that there's no "higher is better" correlation for the Wonderlic.

There is an indication that the probability of NFL success increase with tests scores above a certain threshold, often stated as 25. But as someone showed with Marino above it's not absolute.

At it's core the Wunderlic is less of an intelligence or knowledge test than it is a discipline and concentration test.

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

It's been shown that there's no "higher is better" correlation for the Wonderlic.

There is an indication that the probability of NFL success increase with tests scores above a certain threshold, often stated as 25. But as someone showed with Marino above it's not absolute.

At it's core the Wunderlic is less of an intelligence or knowledge test than it is a discipline and concentration test.

I know nothing of the Wunderlic & it's make up, but could it be used as an "aptitude test", showing varying degrees of strength in a variety of areas?

Mike

Kevin Hogan has a wonderlic score of 38! Daaamn! 

2 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Kevin Hogan has a wonderlic score of 38! Daaamn! 

More proof that a high Wonderlic score guarantees nothing beyond being a guy months away from being cut by the worst team in the NFL?

27 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

More proof that a high Wonderlic score guarantees nothing beyond being a guy months away from being cut by the worst team in the NFL?

Yeah keep dreaming Nostrildumbass...

8 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Yeah keep dreaming Nostrildumbass...

Well, there's Taylor... and there's Drew Stanton, who the Browns signed to a 2 year contract... and the Browns will take a QB with the #1 overall pick... so....

10 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Well, there's Taylor... and there's Drew Stanton, who the Browns signed to a 2 year contract... and the Browns will take a QB with the #1 overall pick... so....

Hogan is the incumbent right now, like it or not. He's been here the longest. You don't know what Haley may see in Hogan- Hue may have said that Taylor is the starter but Hogan will get the chance to prove himself. I'm not concerned about Drew Stanton. He's insurance to ensure our rookie QB, whoever it is, doesn't see the field. We may carry 4 QBs. Taylor, Hogan, Stanton/Draft Pick. 

17 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

I know nothing of the Wunderlic & it's make up, but could it be used as an "aptitude test", showing varying degrees of strength in a variety of areas?

Don't know that, Mike...

I do know there are results inferred from many common tests given by schools and companies, e.g., IQ from "preference tests", so it would not surprise me if there were for the Wonderlic.

23 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Mike

There's sample tests out there Mike, if you care to try it. I did, won't mention my score, but it correlates pretty well with what my IQ was measured at way back in high school.  Part of it is the time factor- take away that, most college grads would be in the 40+ score range. Some of the math problems require actual thought. OTOH, what month is between August and October?  

Trust me, if you scored below a ten, you'd be in the now politically correct term- "mentally challenged".  If you've had several years of college and scored much below a 20, it probably means most of your courses were phys Ed, or creative basket weaving. 

14 hours ago, hoorta said:

There's sample tests out there Mike, if you care to try it. I did, won't mention my score, but it correlates pretty well with what my IQ was measured at way back in high school.  Part of it is the time factor- take away that, most college grads would be in the 40+ score range. Some of the math problems require actual thought. OTOH, what month is between August and October?  

Trust me, if you scored below a ten, you'd be in the now politically correct term- "mentally challenged".  If you've had several years of college and scored much below a 20, it probably means most of your courses were phys Ed, or creative basket weaving. 

I may try to do just one just for fun. But I almost never had exams in test format throughout high school or college and I wonder if that will accept the result?

2 hours ago, Nero said:

I may try to do just one just for fun. But I almost never had exams in test format throughout high school or college and I wonder if that will accept the result?

The one thing about doing the Wonderlic online is that you cannot easily skip any question requiring computation and/or thought, and go back to it later.

Plus if your internet connection goes balky at times during the test you're effed...

On 3/30/2018 at 6:28 AM, LogicIsForSquares said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick got a 49 and Dan Marino a 16. Dummies can still make it if the skill is there. 

Precisely!  The Wunderlic is just 1 assessment.  NFL teams are also looking to the chalk board and interview discussions to further evaluate if there's a football intellect worth investing in.   

For a guy with a Wunderlic score that could lead those that overvalue it to question how quickly he's going to GET it (if ever) - has anyone seen a QB turn in a better rookie season than Dan Marino since 1983?  Shula got this QB at #27 overall; and I don't think he ever asked his HOF QB to use a #2 pencil on the field even once. This was the ONLY QB the 85 Bears Defense didn't have any solutions for.  Poor Buddy Ryan probably felt like he was going against Rain Man in Vegas as Marino identified the areas with favorable numbers/matchups he exploited with accuracy all night long.

Jim Kelly only scored a 15Here's a QB that was smart enough to call his own plays while orchestrating a highly efficient "No Huddle Offense" to 4 consecutive AFC Championship Wins/Superbowl appearances. It's hard to imagine any of that was possible throughout his HOF career without a very good football IQ.

Archived