THE BROWNS BOARD

reddit Prospect Tracker

Tour2ma

Brought this to our Board last year and some folks found it to be of interest. Same as last year it's authored by one of the r/browns mainstays, VonJeager.

Here's the link to his spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1H5155Pr1saJyf-NXW13zUJJIqhnPT4gzLVE0JOQJmEI/edit#gid=0

Here's the text of his latest update...

=======================================================================================================================

A lot of meetings and visits and pro days have occurred since I last updated, so there's going to be about thirty or forty new names, and about forty new schools visited on there. Note that the "Private" column represents either a private workout, private meeting, local Pro Day, or a visit to Berea, just to condense the chart - and all of those indicate specific individual interest.

Observations:

• They're obviously narrowing down on the QBs. It's fairly obvious that they're going to take one high, but I wouldn't totally exclude the possibility that they add a second one later on in the draft. They've done the most work on Josh Allen out of any QB, with either Sam Darnold or Baker Mayfield coming in after that, depending on how much interaction they had with Baker at the Senior Bowl (which I don't believe was much, if any).

• RB has been one of their most active positions, and they've got interest all over the board. Noteworthy, perhaps, that they've been in contact with a couple of later round guys since signing Carlos Hyde in John Kelly, Nyheim Hines, and Martez Carter.

• WR is another active position, with again guys up and down the board. They've shown a lot of interest in late round guys like Jeff Badet, Damion Ratley, and Montrel Meander - noteworthy that all three of those guys are good athletes and good top end speed. They privately worked out Badet in Norman, while Ratley was brought in for a visit.

• Almost all of their offensive line work, at least from what I can track down, has been on tackles. I haven't been able to find private workouts for tackles, but being that they've put a fair amount of mileage on seeing some of these guys and talking to them, OT looks to be a position that's on the board.

• A lot more defensive line work since last time this was updated, at least inside. I'm sure they've shown more interest in edge rushers, but thus far, it hasn't been much. Maurice Hurst and Vita Vea are coming in for visits, which I guess is noteworthy due to where they're expected to fall in the draft. Beyond that, Nathan Shepherd is really the only other name to note of the DTs in terms of draft position.

• Most of their linebackers they've talked to have been later round prospects. I don't think there's much a priority here at the position early on, just from what we can glean from who they've talked to. They're working out Shaheed Salmon privately.

• John Dorsey loves his late round DBs, and that's exactly what we're seeing here. Interestingly, I've not seen a ton of noise on high round CBs, but that might change as more visit news comes in. Denzel Ward and Malik Duncan are supposedly going to be at Cleveland's local Pro Day, while the Browns are bringing in late round guys Tremon Smith, Arrion Springs, and A.J. Howard for visits and workouts.

• Christian Kapp (Kicker), of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, worked out at Wagner College's Pro Day, and Cleveland spent a bit of time with him.

• As of right now, a lot of focus for day one talents have been at QB, RB, DT, and CB. Day two featuring more RB, WR, LB, S. Day three prospects featuring a lot of WR, DT, LB, and CB.

Overall, I expect more bigger names to pop up as visits become more public, as usually those sorts of things happen up until about a week-and-a-half to two weeks prior to the draft, so within the next two-and-a-half weeks should be when we kinda have a mostly solid idea of who they brought in, which is probably the strongest indicator of interest, just due to limited number of times they can do so.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has Rosen already visited Berea? He said he was visiting for private workouts.

54 minutes ago, Nero said:

Has Rosen already visited Berea? He said he was visiting for private workouts.

We privately worked out Rosen in Cali around the time we attended Darnold's pro day. I do not believe Rosen has visited Berea yet, but is scheduled to do so.

I asked the poster about the meaning of the "Private" column designation. Here's the reply I received..

Private is for private workouts regardless of location, as well as Cleveland's local pro day, and private visits to Berea. I did it that way because it's difficult to find information on workouts held, say, on campus and workouts held in Berea. Usually visits are specified as visits, but still.

As for like, talking to prospects the day before or after a Pro Day, I mark that down under the Pro Day tab.

Realistically speaking, a prospect could have multiple checks under the Private tab.

Haven't watched Ford from UT yet but he's dialed up on my list.  As expected with Hurst dropping figured we would show interest in a rotational 3tech.   Still don't expect Dorsey to go against trend and take a RB high left alone first round and Vita makes little sense given we shipped out a similar mold in Danny to the Pats. 

Fingers crossed all the QB talk is smoke screen and the Browns do the smart thing here.

after the owners meetings in Orlando ended,Dorsey was interviewed by nfl radio. Was trying to make it to UCF(shaq griffin) & Florida's pro days next..no signs from what I've read that Dorsey made it to either?    

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

We privately worked out Rosen in Cali around the time we attended Darnold's pro day.

I wasn't aware.  I know that within a day of Darnold's pro day they were at Mayfield's...

Interesting that we took a private visit with Mom but didn't go to Michigan's pro day

But then again I remember looking at this last year and bring disappointed there was nothing for Pep...

Trade back into the 1st for Mo? Get a steal and I buy another jersey

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

Interesting that we took a private visit with Mom but didn't go to Michigan's pro day

But then again I remember looking at this last year and bring disappointed there was nothing for Pep...

Trade back into the 1st for Mo? Get a steal and I buy another jersey

Not sure there are any prospects that interest the Browns from FMU....though....I am still of the belief that they may still need/want another DT....and I am under the impression that the Top FMU prospect is that DT.   What say you?   Give us a scouting report on how you think he would/could fit on the Browns.

15 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

As expected with Hurst dropping figured we would show interest in a rotational 3tech.

Read where Hurst has now been medically cleared for the heart thing ( a medical term) flagged at the Combine... so the fall may reverse.

As I've said, I think our path to an improved pass rush this draft is via a penetrating DT... and while there are a few prospects that qualify,  that is Hurst's game.

14 hours ago, Orion said:

I wasn't aware.  I know that within a day of Darnold's pro day they were at Mayfield's...

In his interview with Rich Eisen, Rosen mentioned working out for a team in the rain the same day as Darnold's Pro Day.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Not sure there are any prospects that interest the Browns from FMU....though....I am still of the belief that they may still need/want another DT....and I am under the impression that the Top FMU prospect is that DT.   What say you?   Give us a scouting report on how you think he would/could fit on the Browns.

Yeah, he's clearly our best prospect. I mean, we barely had any seniors, and no one left early. I think we only have 3 guys looking to get drafted.

He's the opposite of Shelton, but the best interior pass rusher in this draft. I'm not quite sure what fronts we're gonna run, but you can't have too much pass rush. While he isn't Arron Donald, he can provide pressure in that same way. 

If Mo starts to fall, might move back into the first. But who knows where he'll go. I've seen him mocked between 3rd overall and the 3rd round. 

4 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Yeah, he's clearly our best prospect. I mean, we barely had any seniors, and no one left early. I think we only have 3 guys looking to get drafted.

He's the opposite of Shelton, but the best interior pass rusher in this draft. I'm not quite sure what fronts we're gonna run, but you can't have too much pass rush. While he isn't Arron Donald, he can provide pressure in that same way. 

If Mo starts to fall, might move back into the first. But who knows where he'll go. I've seen him mocked between 3rd overall and the 3rd round. 

Doesn't he have a heart issue or something?    I believe that will depress his draft status.  Teams would be unlikely to take a risk with their first round pick.....however, a team that, say, has multiple second round picks could be one that might take a flyer on him there.     I wonder if you can think of a team like that?

In the CBS rankings...he is rated the #8 overall prospect..and the top DT.

28 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Read where Hurst has now been medically cleared for the heart thing ( a medical term) flagged at the Combine... so the fall may reverse.

As I've said, I think our path to an improved pass rush this draft is via a penetrating DT... and while there are a few prospects that qualify,  that is Hurst's game.

My thoughts on Mo are pretty well stated.     I think he falls outside the first because, though while cleared, you'll still have GM's with the "buuuuuut" in the back of their mind.    Be that the case then I'm all for it.  Having him and Brantley on the inside in sub packages intrigues the Shmuck out of me.  

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Doesn't he have a heart issue or something?    I believe that will depress his draft status.  Teams would be unlikely to take a risk with their first round pick.....however, a team that, say, has multiple second round picks could be one that might take a flyer on him there.     I wonder if you can think of a team like that?

In the CBS rankings...he is rated the #8 overall prospect..and the top DT.

No, we've been over this. He had an irregular EKG or something that easily flagged at the combine. It then came out this was found out Michigan too, but he was cleared to play. NFL doctors have cleared him to play as well. While some GMs may be scared away, all indications say he's fine. 

PFF likes him a lot too. 

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

My thoughts on Mo are pretty well stated.     I think he falls outside the first because, though while cleared, you'll still have GM's with the "buuuuuut" in the back of their mind.    Be that the case then I'm all for it.  Having him and Brantley on the inside in sub packages intrigues the Shmuck out of me.  

I think he'll still go late first because teams are looking for interior pressure. I agree though, that pairing him with our DL now is intriguing. He'd be a luxury pick though.

24 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

No, we've been over this. He had an irregular EKG or something that easily flagged at the combine. It then came out this was found out Michigan too, but he was cleared to play. NFL doctors have cleared him to play as well. While some GMs may be scared away, all indications say he's fine. 

PFF likes him a lot too. 

What do you mean NO?

The answer is YES:   A.  Yes...he apparently did have  a heart issue....even if it is supposedly "cleared"  and YES....it could very well affect  where he would get picked. 

He was rated a possible Top Ten pick.   With this info....he may still be a Top Ten pick....Top Ten in the second or third round.

3 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

PFF likes him a lot too. 

This brought to mind a funny EKG memory. Back in the '70s, while working in patient accounts mgmt at Aultman Hospital in Canton, the husband of one of my employees was admitted to have a circumcision done (he was in his 30s). My boss & I snuck a 6 pack into his room & after we each drank 2, a knock came on the door, which we had locked. It was a Tech to do an EKG. Of course, we excused ourselves & left, laughing. Next morning my boss, John, & I were still chuckling about our "good deed" when the patient's wife walked in & demanded to know what the hell we had done to Tim cuz his EKG was "all f**ked up!". Those damned things can be sensitive!

Obviously, that was before DRGs, PPOs, HIPA, etc, etc. back when life was still fun & laughter wasn't offensive. I miss those days but treasure the memories.

Mike

5 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

This brought to mind a funny EKG memory. Back in the '70s, while working in patient accounts mgmt at Aultman Hospital in Canton, the husband of one of my employees was admitted to have a circumcision done (he was in his 30s). My boss & I snuck a 6 pack into his room & after we each drank 2, a knock came on the door, which we had locked. It was a Tech to do an EKG. Of course, we excused ourselves & left, laughing. Next morning my boss, John, & I were still chuckling about our "good deed" when the patient's wife walked in & demanded to know what the hell we had done to Tim cuz his EKG was "all f**ked up!". Those damned things can be sensitive!

Obviously, that was before DRGs, PPOs, HIPPA, etc, etc. back when life was still fun & laughter wasn't offensive. I miss those days but treasure the memories.

Mike

Just when I wondered how many acronyms could an american use in a single post... :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, Nero said:

Just when I wondered how many acronyms could an american use in a single post... :rolleyes:

Exactly why American English is the most difficult language to learn.  ;)

Mike

As unenthused as I was at the idea of drafting Peppers last season, I'm enthused at the idea of drafting Hurst. 

Like Woody said, he's the anti-Shelton... Gotta think Williams would love to add him. 

1 hour ago, Canton Mike said:

Exactly why American English is the most difficult language to learn.  ;)

Mike

No it's the idioms that do it................................opps I let the cat out of the bag.:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

As unenthused as I was at the idea of drafting Peppers last season, I'm enthused at the idea of drafting Hurst. 

Like Woody said, he's the anti-Shelton... Gotta think Williams would love to add him. 

There should be more enthusiasm now that he'll be in position. Especially if you just look at the two games we had him there at the end of last season.

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

There should be more enthusiasm now that he'll be in position. Especially if you just look at the two games we had him there at the end of last season.

I didn't really notice that much of an improvement to be honest, but whatever, the kid was put in a dumb situation that he didn't cause. Kind of like Kizer. 

Thrilled he'll be at strong safety from Day 1 of this season. 

20 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

I think he'll still go late first because teams are looking for interior pressure. I agree though, that pairing him with our DL now is intriguing. He'd be a luxury pick though.

Not seeing the luxury unless we go Chubb at #4. IMO a gap-shootin', 3-tech DT is just what the Dr. ordered for our pass rush.

38 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Not seeing the luxury unless we go Chubb at #4. IMO a gap-shootin', 3-tech DT is just what the Dr. ordered for our pass rush.

I just think we have bigger needs. But if Mo starts to fall, it would be a steal. 

I did not realize that Hurst was the #3 player on PFF's Top 100 draft board... https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pff-draft-board-top-100-players-for-the-2018-nfl-draft

3. Maurice Hurst, Michigan – interior defender

The prototypical 3-technique defensive tackle, Hurst offers a pass-rushing toolbox that no other interior player in this class can come close to matching. His four-year career of grades is unlike anything we’ve ever seen at the defensive tackle position, proving his durability and sustainability at the position. – Mike Renner (@PFF_Mike)

And speak of the devil... Maurice is coming for a visit.

Michigan defensive tackle Maurice Hurst (6-foot-2, 282) and Central Arkansas cornerback Tremon Smith (6-foot, 190) will take a pre-draft visit to the Cleveland Browns according to Sirius XM Radio and The Houston Chronicle.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Bolt/NFL-Draft-Browns-lock-in-visits-with-Maurice-Hurst-Tremon-Smith-116883519

Archived