THE BROWNS BOARD

QBs-We'll know 4/26/18

Canton Mike

IMHO, ANY of the top 4 QBs in 2018 would be a dramatic upgrade to ANY we have had since '99 save Tim Couch, who might be in this conversation had he been given anything to work with. We can't really lose with any of the 4, but I think 2 stand out intellectually. Those 2 are Rosen & Mayfield. I could be wrong, but those 2 guys seem to be the total packages of physical & mental skills required to lead & excel at the QB position. Physical attributes are only PART of the equation.

I'll accept & support any QB Dorsey & Co bring in, but I would be ELATED with Mayfield and/or Rosen (listed alphabetically).

Just an old guys opinion.

Mike   

Man, that's so funny because I'd go with just the opposite.  Allen then Darnold.  Rosen has been injured way too much and doesn't want to be here.  Mayfield is way too short and would be just another Manziel (slightly better).  Great in college, but not at the NFL level.  

1 minute ago, Mark O said:

At least Mayfield was great in college.  Allen was barely average.

The Allen at #1 love is absolutely baffling. 

There literally cannot be a worse combination than Josh Allen and the Cleveland Browns, for both parties. 

3 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

IMHO, ANY of the top 4 QBs in 2018 would be a dramatic upgrade to ANY we have had since '99...

Three out of four is as high as I can go...

... and with two "dramtic" gets iffy...

.. and then there's the issue of when...

http://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/report-cleveland-browns-down-to-sam-darnold-or-josh-allen-for-no-1-pick-in-2018-nfl-draft/95-532550293

Report: Cleveland Browns down to Sam Darnold or Josh Allen for No. 1 pick in 2018 NFL Draft

With one month to go until the draft, the Browns appear to have narrowed their quarterback decision to two.

4 hours ago, dawg2fan said:

Man, that's so funny because I'd go with just the opposite.  Allen then Darnold.  Rosen has been injured way too much and doesn't want to be here.  Mayfield is way too short and would be just another Manziel (slightly better).  Great in college, but not at the NFL level.  

That's how I see it. They have the highest ceilings, with the love for the game, work ethic, toughness and leadership to match success in the NFL.

Second tier is Mayfield, and Rudolph.

Third tier - all the rest, except for Rosen - I don't see the hype and the lone criteria of completion %, given that he had plenty of seniors around him, his LT in the first round, his center drawing attention in a later round...etc etc.

Speaking of third tier, Jackson is going to be amazing to watch - but I just don't know for how long, and how much success he'll have.

Maybe the Seahawks draft him?

3 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

That's how I see it. They have the highest ceilings, with the love for the game, work ethic, toughness and leadership to match success in the NFL.

Third tier - all the rest, except for Rosen - I don't see the hype and the lone criteria of completion %, given that he had plenty of seniors around him, his LT in the first round, his center drawing attention in a later round...etc etc.

Speaking of third tier, Jackson is going to be amazing to watch - but I just don't know for how long, and how much success he'll have.

huh? 

Keith BrittonVerified account @KeithBritton86

.@KenCarman on #Browns No. 1 pick: “I’ve talked to several people over there, it’s just about settled, it’s Sam Darnold. I’ll put my reputation on it. It’s gonna be Sam Darnold.”

3:48 AM - 28 Mar 2018

8 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

huh? 

Kolton Miller - predicted first round in plenty of mocks.

https://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2018/1/29/16945588/kolton-miller-2018-nfl-draft-prospect-offensive-tackle-ucla-pac-12

Projected: Top-15

Pro Comparison: Jake Matthews - Atlanta Falcons

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

http://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/report-cleveland-browns-down-to-sam-darnold-or-josh-allen-for-no-1-pick-in-2018-nfl-draft/95-532550293

Report: Cleveland Browns down to Sam Darnold or Josh Allen for No. 1 pick in 2018 NFL Draft

With one month to go until the draft, the Browns appear to have narrowed their quarterback decision to two.

Hue essentially said- "it's not decided yet".  ^^^^ Click bait- all 4 are still being evaluated. Dorsey said going back, plenty to think about. Why would the Browns even bother bringing in Rosen and Mayfield, if it's narrowed down to Darnold or Allen? I doubt they'd waste that much time just to muddy the waters.   

6 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Agree with all points Cal.  I think Jackson is a bit small,  not as much girth as Russell Wilson.  Just don't see him lasting in the NFL.  He might get a shot at QB, but I see him serving better as a receiver.

12 hours ago, Mark O said:

Means nothing in the NFL.  If Allen get's to sit behind Taylor (and he should), he can be one of the greats.  When was the last time the Browns could say we drafted a QB and let him sit and learn?  I mean really sit and learn.  

1 hour ago, dawg2fan said:

I mean really sit and learn.  

Like when you have a very willing but really stupid classmate and you tell him 'Hey, leave that to us, you just sit and learn'?

13 hours ago, Mark O said:

On the 35th anniversary of the quarterback class of 1983 I'm looking forward to the eh class of 2018.

Who knows there might be one better than average one! Maybe.  (don't take a poll on that one here :lol: )

2 hours ago, dawg2fan said:

Means nothing in the NFL.  If Allen get's to sit behind Taylor (and he should), he can be one of the greats.  When was the last time the Browns could say we drafted a QB and let him sit and learn?  I mean really sit and learn.  

It means nothing?   So based on that, we could pick Christian Chapman instead of Allen because he's going to "sit and learn".   He's an average QB from the mountain west conference, why aren't we talking about drafting him in round 1?

8 hours ago, hoorta said:

Hue essentially said- "it's not decided yet".  ^^^^ Click bait- all 4 are still being evaluated. Dorsey said going back, plenty to think about. Why would the Browns even bother bringing in Rosen and Mayfield, if it's narrowed down to Darnold or Allen? I doubt they'd waste that much time just to muddy the waters.   

It isn't unheard of to bring in players to get an idea about, for trade proposal perspective from other teams. As in,

this is guy is high on their list - we can get more from them

31 minutes ago, Mark O said:

It means nothing?   So based on that, we could pick Christian Chapman instead of Allen because he's going to "sit and learn".   He's an average QB from the mountain west conference, why aren't we talking about drafting him in round 1?

Chapman isn't in the draft til 2019. He's shorter than Mayfield...

30 minutes ago, Mark O said:

The top 4 quarterbacks being discussed are Mayfield, Allen, Rosen, and Darnold according the experts.  I assume you knew this. 

4 minutes ago, dawg2fan said:

The top 4 quarterbacks being discussed are Mayfield, Allen, Rosen, and Darnold according the experts.  I assume you knew this. 

Of course I know this.   And you really believe that having success in college means nothing in the NFL?   Really? 

I'll take one of the QB's that has had some success over the guy who falls flat on his face against good competition in college.  

2 hours ago, Nero said:

Like when you have a very willing but really stupid classmate and you tell him 'Hey, leave that to us, you just sit and learn'?

Westside Steve was a classmate of mine in junior English....Mr. Harpool.    Some people told him to sit and learn....and he sat down on a big gob of bubblegum.    He learned.

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

On the 35th anniversary of the quarterback class of 1983 I'm looking forward to the eh class of 2018.

Who knows there might be one better than average one! Maybe.  (don't take a poll on that one here :lol: )

Or....check out 1999 or 2011.    It could go that route.

12 minutes ago, dawg2fan said:

That does not mean that they will end up being the Top QBs to come out of that class.

Take a look at 2012 if you will, for an example.

22 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Of course I know this.   And you really believe that having success in college means nothing in the NFL?   Really? 

I'll take one of the QB's that has had some success over the guy who falls flat on his face against good competition in college.  

I think a QB with more potential in college, can certainly surprise.  I can be wrong, but I do think Allen can be they guy.  Go back to the USC QBs over the years, they have been superlative in college, but haven't panned out in the NFL.  Look at Ryan Leaf's stats coming out of Washington State.  He was drafted ahead of Peyton Manning.  College stats can be very misleading. 

1 minute ago, dawg2fan said:

I think a QB with more potential in college, can certainly surprise.  I can be wrong, but I do think Allen can be they guy.  Go back to the USC QBs over the years, they have been superlative in college, but haven't panned out in the NFL.  Look at Ryan Leaf's stats coming out of Washington State.  He was drafted ahead of Peyton Manning.  College stats can be very misleading. 

Ryan Leaf was not drafted ahead of Peyton Manning.   Allen is Kizer 2.0 and we all saw how that worked out.

Archived