THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns sign drew stanton

bjh2130

52 minutes ago, hoorta said:

But- as bad as he is, his career stats are still better than Kizer's. :lol: Nah- I'm with ya Tour why bring in pure garbage to back up Tyrod? I hope he's on a one year vet minimum deal...   

It’s a two year deal 

I haven’t got the majority of Dorsey’s moves so far this is just another to add to the list :unsure:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

I don't follow. I think with this signing it is pretty clear they don't want the rookie thrust into action this year due to an injury to Taylor. So they get a journeyman to help teach the young guy and also take any emergency snaps while he learns.

Well last year they didn’t want to throw Kizer in and QB coach David Lee said numerous times he wasn’t ready. The FO said he wasn’t ready. 

He started day one for Hue Jackson. 

I think you and others are forgetting who the head coach still is in Cleveland. 

24 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

It’s a two year deal 

I haven’t got the majority of Dorsey’s moves so far this is just another to add to the list :unsure:

Two year deal doesn't  mean much London. As a 10+ year vet, the contract will have to have around a $900k base. It's all about guaranteed money, and I have a feeling the second year isn't guaranteed. We'll see when the numbers come out. :)  

Or who knows? Picking this guy up off the scrap heap- maybe nothing is guaranteed.

10 hours ago, jcam222 said:

This means the end of both Hogan and Kessler. 

Which explains why they resigned Hogan huh.. POG  must be jizzing all over himself... The poor kid needs a doily to sit on...

5 hours ago, WarriorsRpussies said:

After reading other members post I can see the racist though the screen. Sad world we live in now.

People dissing, Hogan, Kessler and Allen are racists? I did not read any of those guys referred to as "dumb crackers".:P

His stats blow, but he is 11-6 as a starter in Detroit and Arizona, so he must handoff pretty well.

Obviously, they have no interest in Hogan or Kessler and they are going to sandwich the rookie between a veteran starter and a veteran journeyman.

Stanton will hold a clipboard and be a player/coach/cheerleader.

Hogan will compete in camp. Kessler will get dropped when we draft the guy that used to back him up.

Zombo

12 hours ago, 7moses7 said:

Really you people are excited about a veteran QB that completes 52% of his passes and you want to complain about Allen’s completion %

His completion percentage sucks but his winning percentage (11-6) doesn't. Granted, he got those wins on a team that was much better than the Browns, but as a backup QB, I'll take it over Kessler and Hogan.

I swear you guys crack me up with the back and forth. All last year it was clamor (which I didn't disagree with) that this team obviously needed veteran QB leadership. So the new regime snags a consistent mid-tier starter, a seasoned back-up, and will take a QB #1 who gets all the support. And yet despite doing exactly what you clowns asked for there's still complaining.

I honestly believe some of you think we could have traded Brady for Kessler and a 6th, snagged Russell Wilson for cash considerations, and resurrected the ghost of Otto Graham to mentor them. 

39 minutes ago, LionOfBuddha said:

Guys, they didn’t sign Stanton to play.

Tyrod is the starter, and he’ll be busy trying to win games and won’t have time to mentor our rookie. That’s where Stanton comes in, he’ll be attached at the hip to whatever QB we draft for the entire year. Very smart.

I agree.   Kessler is atrocious, not sure he ever recovered from the beatings he took as a rookie.  Hogan has a noodle arm and also isn't very good.  Stanton isn't great either but he's actually won games in the NFL, something no other backup QB on our roster can say. 

1 hour ago, LionOfBuddha said:

Tyrod is the starter, and he’ll be busy trying to win games and won’t have time to mentor our rookie. That’s where Stanton comes in, he’ll be attached at the hip to whatever QB we draft for the entire year. Very smart.

Exactly....... I'm surprised so many here are 'confused'..... actually, not really. ;)

14 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Well mjp, you've definitely earned it... <_<

beating-a-dead-horse-gif-4.gif

Yes there's not enough left of this ol' horse to make soup with.

Only about 32 days until D-DAY, I wonder what will or can happen next?  I still think the BROWNS might deal up and get a 3rd R1 pick to facilitate a project quarterback but who knows? 

Well... when I think Drew Stanton the word "mentor" isn't the first thought that follows.

That said here's an interesting tweet...

Ryan McCrystalVerified account @Ryan_McCrystal

Ryan McCrystal Retweeted Mike McCartney

Stanton was a backup on the Lions during No. 1 pick Matthew Stafford’s rookie year and a backup behind No. 1 pick Andrew Luck in Indy during his rookie year. This is becoming a specialty of his.

38 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Well... when I think Drew Stanton the word "mentor" isn't the first thought that follows.

Stanton was a backup on the Lions during No. 1 pick Matthew Stafford’s rookie year and a backup behind No. 1 pick Andrew Luck in Indy during his rookie year. This is becoming a specialty of his.

I would say that he has experience in seeing what it takes for a No. 1 pick QB to succeed in this league, as both Stafford and Luck have had success. He can use that knowledge to give to whatever QB we draft, AND that rookie can still sit and learn at the same time

I would say that he has experience in seeing what it takes for a No. 1 pick QB to succeed in this league, as both Stafford and Luck have had success. He can use that knowledge to give to whatever QB we draft, AND that rookie can still sit and learn at the same time

Well just remember that even though he did not have the talent to be a starting QB in the NFL, Kubiac was Elway's backup and coach on the bench as well as being a pretty good QB handler as a full time career coach. I'm guessing Dorsey gets that.

31 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Well just remember that even though he did not have the talent to be a starting QB in the NFL, Kubiac was Elway's backup and coach on the bench as well as being a pretty good QB handler as a full time career coach. I'm guessing Dorsey gets that.

Indeed, and there's plenty of other examples of this as well. Put simply, you don't last 10 years in the NFL at the QB position if you don't bring something to the table. 

20 minutes ago, Bigalow80 said:

this ensures that the rookie qb never sees the field! plain and simple.

So would have keeping Hogan or Kessler and choosing to play them...

Stanton's play is not going to forestall fan demands for the rookie should Tyrod go down.

18 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

So would have keeping Hogan or Kessler and choosing to play them...

Stanton's play is not going to forestall fan demands for the rookie should Tyrod go down.

Since when does Hue Jackson give a crap about what the Browns fans think?  

He should have had his fat arse in Lake Erie here sometime in the last 3 months....as demanded by the fans.....but he has not done so 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

He should have had his fat arse in Lake Erie here sometime in the last 3 months....as demanded by the fans.....but he has not done so 

C'mon Gip....Hue put the TEAM in the deep freeze. Did you really expect HIM to suffer hypothermia just to make us smile?  ;)

Ain't no ice cubes in Hue's bathtub!!  :rolleyes:

Mike

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Only because you asked... Since his job is on the line? a/k/a "on thin ice".

A careful reading of my post would have let you know your question is misplaced.

And so the countdown to once again ignoring Gip begins again...

8 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Only because you asked... Since his job is on the line? a/k/a "on thin ice".

A careful reading of my post would have let you know your question is misplaced.

And so the countdown to once again ignoring Gip begins again...

The thing that is on thin ice is your sensitivity level. 

Do you think I was trying to be so very specifically responsive to your question?  No...I wasn't. I simply used it as a jumping off point to mention that  there is nothing that fans can demand of Hue that he would be responsive to.  

Honestly....why does anything said on here by anyone on here offend you so much?  Simple innocuous comments and you are ....nevermind....I won't bother to say it.   You might get offended....and since I am going on vacation this week I don't need this kind of Housewives of Houston drama.

20 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I fully expect the Browns to do something stupid and draft Allen #1 overall....

If not, I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I suspect I'm going to be shaking my head and murmuring: "You've got to be kidding me" come Thursday night, April 26... 

Maybe Browns go for the whole enchilada with Barkley at 1, Chubb at 4, and then trade up to 5-9 and take Allen.  Wow, that would make for one exciting draft for Browns fans.  Or some might just jump off a bridge immediately following the 4th pick.

Their defense, which is becoming stellar it seems, will benefit greatly with Stanton running the practise sessions.  The D wouldn't get proper prep with a rookie running those drills.

3 minutes ago, SissyBoyFloyd said:

Maybe Browns go for the whole enchilada with Barkley at 1, Chubb at 4, and then trade up to 5-9 and take Allen.  Wow, that would make for one exciting draft for Browns fans.  Or some might just jump off a bridge immediately following the 4th pick.

The Browns would have to give up practically their whole draft to get back into the top 10. 

And with their three picks in the top 10, the Browns would use one on a RB who could be toast by the time he's 26 and a QB who is ridiculously overrated. 

Yikes. 

8 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

So we signed him for Karma.....

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Honestly....why does anything said on here by anyone on here offend you so much?

You confuse "offend" with "annoy".

You confuse "anyone" with "you".

Archived