THE BROWNS BOARD

What is the future of football?

Orion

Good post and something that eats at me a little bit with this sport. I have no solutions and concede that the violent nature and physicality of the sport is part of the appeal.

However, l spend time rooting for the guys on my favorite team, and l can’t help but want them to be able to retire from the game with their faculties intact, able to walk and think and such. Especially the Joe Thomases, Josh Cribbs, and Bernie Kosars of the world. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, nickers said:

Don't worry.. in 5 years GOD-del is gonna rename it the P.F.L...Pussy-Fied -League.

I get this line of thinking too. Be a man, pound chest and carry on. This way of thinking l suspect has reduced the burden on the healthcare industry since before it could be considered an industry. It’s not war though, it’s a sport for our entertainment. What cost should that carry?

Some other outside the box ideas if in fact CTE is as prevalent as the hype suggests. 1)Implement an actual PDE testing program in college and the NFL. Return players to normal athletic human sizes. This would signicantly reduce the force of impact. If you think the current programs are effective your heads Buried so deep in the ground you can see China. 2) Decrease college careers to 2 years 3) Implement "term limits" by position in the NFL 

29 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

I suspect that the CTE reports grossly exaggerate the rate of occurrence. More importantly the "symptoms" can be driven by a host of other issues as well. Rage, depression, drug addiction, alcohol abuse, many of those can also be driven by being predisposed and on top of that years of steroid and pain pill abuse. I'm not suggesting that CTE doesn't cause issues, simply saying there is no direct correlation. It would be interesting to see data comparing rates of those symptoms in a larger data set of players vs. the general population. Here's a good article. https://www.google.com/amp/amp.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2017/07/the_press_is_overhyping_the_latest_study_on_cte_in_the_nfl.html

Agree... I do not believe there are too many instances of "Grandpa sure acts normal... maybe we should donate his brain to science."

And again few brains have entered the data set since the advent of the era of Concussion Awareness.

I get so tired of all (what I call) "trick" solutions & talk...MAGNETS now?

We can start with STRICT PENALTIES for cheap shots (especially to the head). I have long been an advocate of....

1) Immediate ejection + next game penalty (I don't care if the "next game" is the Super Bowl!)

2) In case of injury to the player hit, the offending player remains suspended for EVERY game the injured player misses due to injury PLUS 1 more game.

I put all this on Roger. I also would like to know WHY the Shazier injury to himself (due to his own helmet leading hit) has not been used as an example of why improper tackling technique can cause serious injury. As tragic as the injury was, something positive could be gained from it, IF the NFL would get off their asses and address the REAL issue. Eliminate the dirty plays & players....fines & helmet technology aren't getting it done.

Mike

17 hours ago, LionOfBuddha said:

Soccer will take over. 

Football is going to slowly die as parents won’t sign their kids up for it.

Then there will need to be an outdoor fall sport to replace the void, with Spanish soon to be the most spoken language in this country, it’s a no brainer

Soccer is so boring it's pathetic.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

lol... could bring a whole new meaning to "drawing the defense offsides."

But seriously... if hits from one direction are repulsed, then...

Bingo... could rival some of the worst facemask grabs ever seen.

But how are they going to huddle up, did anybody else think about that, eh? 

.......or maybe they'll just text each other from anywhere on the field, "MFL" the Millenials' Football League.  :lol:

No need for any contact or interpersonal skills at all.

23 minutes ago, LionOfBuddha said:

Yeah, that’s probably why it’s the most popular sport in the world 

No its probably because it originated in and is largely  played in dirt poor countries all over the world. No uniforms or equipment necessary not even shoes just a ball. 

And yes it's boring, unless you actually like 0-0, 1-0 games. "Recess for big kids", :lol:

From The Worst Things in Sports thread......

Just screen shot this, how does anyone watch this stuff? In this segment 6 games, 5 teams didn't even score, 3 ties? ZZZZzzzzzooooool.

Screenshot_2018-02-26-08-01-48.png

4 hours ago, mjp28 said:

But how are they going to huddle up, did anybody else think about that, eh? 

lmao...

5 hours ago, mjp28 said:

No its probably because it originated in and is largely  played in dirt poor countries all over the world. No uniforms or equipment necessary not even shoes just a ball. 

And yes it's boring, unless you actually like 0-0, 1-0 games. "Recess for big kids", :lol:

Dude, it’s is the most popular sport in every first world nation in europe. It’s not a poor man’s sport. Yes, it’s easy for poor kids to play, but people from all social backgrounds play it and love it. It’s going to be the biggest sport here too, eventually

Dude, it always has been a poor man's sport.

The History Of Soccer

More than 240 million people around the world play soccer regularly according to the Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA). The game has evolved from the sport of kicking a rudimentary animal-hide ball around into the World Cup sport it is today.

Records trace the history of soccer back more than 2,000 years ago to ancient China. Greece, Rome, and parts of Central America also claim to have started the sport; but it was England that transitioned soccer, or what the British and many other people around the world call “football,” into the game we know today. The English are credited with recording the first uniform rules for the sport, including forbidding tripping opponents and touching the ball with hands.

As the sport developed, more rules were implemented and more historical landmarks were set. For example, the penalty kick was introduced in 1891. FIFA became a member of the International Football Association Board of Great Britain in 1913. Red and yellow cards were introduced during the 1970 World Cup finals. More recent major changes include goalkeepers being banned from handling deliberate back passes in 1992 and tackles from behind becoming red-card penalties in 1998.

Some of the top players throughout history include Pele (Edson Arantes Do Nascimento) from Brazil, who scored six goals in the 1958 World Cup and helped Brazil claim its first title; Lev Yashin from Russia, who claimed to have saved more than 150 penalty shots during his outstanding goal-tending career; and Marco Van Basten from Holland, who won several very prestigious soccer awards during one year alone. There are many debates over who the greatest soccer players are of all time; but players like Zinedine Zidane, Diego Maradona, Michel Platini, Lionel Messi, and Roberto Baggio make almost every list.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And it's still boring and yes it will last because other countries will not adopt AMERICAN football, basketball, baseball or hockey as their national sport. Cheap, boring soccer is here to stay. -_-

1 hour ago, LionOfBuddha said:

Dude, it’s is the most popular sport in every first world nation in europe. It’s not a poor man’s sport. Yes, it’s easy for poor kids to play, but people from all social backgrounds play it and love it. It’s going to be the biggest sport here too, eventually

Soccer will never be in the US what it is elsewhere without dramatic changes to increase offense by about 10 fold at the least. We are way to microwave and like high paced scoring sports. 

Soccer is just plain boring.  So boring you think your teeth are gonna fall out.....and then they go to EXTRA time.  It's like a penance. 

I DID hear a funny line while watching a game, the announcer was talking about one of the teams being so bad that, they were lucky to have nil.  :)

11 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Hockey isn't exactly a high scoring sport either. Soccer is essentially hockey played on a grass football field. Slow motion hockey if you like. 

Nah- U.S. sport fans are just going to have to get used to the idea what we consider exciting isn't necessarily what the rest of the world does. False superiority complex. Put the shoe on the other foot and I'm sure a lot of the European nations wonder why America hasn't gotten on the soccer bandwagon yet. And you want to talk about crazy fans? Our diehard football fans are minor league compared to the riots they've had many times in soccer stands, with people getting killed.  World's most popular sport? Your numbers prove it. 240 million? That's about 70% of the entire population of the United States. 

& FWIW, I played competitive tennis for years, and I can hardly stand watching it on the tube.  If soccer bores you - I get that. And if you don't think it takes skill- Chris Collisnworth told a story way back. Him and the Bengals were having a brew or three in a Cinci bar after a game- and a club soccer team was there doing the same. Bengals guys started ragging on the puss nature of the soccer guys. Oh yeah? You're on. Can't remember what the bet was for, but the Bengals guys quit when they were down 10-0.   :lol:

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 12:38 AM, Orion said:

I'm pretty sure that whacking a fast moving soccer ball with your head is NOT gonna be good for your brain.  The elimination of the header is in soccer's future.

Certainly an issue for the old timers but the balls are incredibly light now, which is evident in how it moves after the likes of Ronaldo strikes a dead ball.

4 hours ago, Orion said:

Soccer is just plain boring.  So boring you think your teeth are gonna fall out.....and then they go to EXTRA time.  It's like a penance. 

I DID hear a funny line while watching a game, the announcer was talking about one of the teams being so bad that, they were lucky to have nil.  :)

If you guys think Soccer is boring (when a NFL game, which I love, takes four hours) I dread the day you discover Cricket. . . 

3 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

If you guys think Soccer is boring (when a NFL game, which I love, takes four hours) I dread the day you discover Cricket. . . 

Sometimes on a late summer night I have a beer outside and listen to their mating calls. I'm sure some of 'em score.:P

What is the future of (AMERICAN) football?

Well as long as there is money on the table it essentially stays as is for the near future, if/when viewership and attendance continue to drop (yes even in Super Bowls, 3 straight down years),   the sponsors start backing away, moms continue to refuse to let their little boys play tackle football and the younger generations keep staying away from the sport in increasing numbers changes will happen.

So let's look at the mjp list of exciting world and AMERICAN sports......unofficial of course:

1. NCAA FOOTBALL 

2. NFL FOOTBALL 

3. MLB 

4. NHL

5. NCAA BASKETBALL 

6. NBA, except if the Cavaliers are in it

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

98. CRICKET (new)

99. SOCCER

100. anything else left

So there you go........

11 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

What is the future of (AMERICAN) football?

Well as long as there is money on the table it essentially stays as is for the near future, if/when viewership and attendance continue to drop (yes even in Super Bowls, 3 straight down years),   the sponsors start backing away, moms continue to refuse to let their little boys play tackle football and the younger generations keep staying away from the sport in increasing numbers changes will happen.

So let's look at the mjp list of exciting world and AMERICAN sports......unofficial of course:

1. NCAA FOOTBALL 

2. NFL FOOTBALL 

3. MLB 

4. NHL

5. NCAA BASKETBALL 

6. NBA, except if the Cavaliers are in it

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

98. CRICKET (new)

99. SOCCER

100. anything else left

So there you go........

I often get excited watching a good golf match. My wife even more so....and she hates just about all the other sports, except baseball.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

I often get excited watching a good golf match. My wife even more so....and she hates just about all the other sports, except baseball.

Now golf is a real pussified game. The object is to put it in the hole with a long stick right?

And they set up all kinds of barriers to keep you from doing that. Yep that there is some game!:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Now golf is a real pussified game. The object is to put it in the hole with a long stick right?

And they set up all kinds of barriers to keep you from doing that. Yep that there is some game!:rolleyes:

It is not a physical/contact/collision sport....but I don't know about pussified.   It takes tremendous skill.

1 hour ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Remember Jarts?  They looked like large darts that you threw at a circle in the lawn?  I wonder how many kids got impaled before the banned them?  Used to have a set in my parents yard.

Image result for jarts pictures

LAWN DARTS! Now those suckers were fun......might have to move them up to #3 or 4 on the mjp list.

Archived